Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh no :smith: I thought things were going well over there. Or are they downsizing the Armored Warfare team or something? I know that's a huge team.

I hope it isn't that Tyranny did poorly or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Harrow posted:

I hope it isn't that Tyranny did poorly or something.

I would be really surprised if Tyranny was a smash hit success, or even a moderate success. It's a janky, niche game in a niche genre that got very little press attention.

But Paradox is something of an outlier as publishers go, so who knows what stick they're measuring with.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Don't worry guys, they made 4 devs beat each other to death for the shot at lead design, before cutting the winner loose.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I mean, this is as anecdotal as you can get but it did top the steam top sellers for like a week despite being relatively close to civ6's release date and iirc an all time low gta5 sale.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This also could just be part of the usual ramp-up/ramp-down game development cycle--it's really lovely, but not unusual and probably not wholly unexpected.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, game dev is pretty awful job security-wise. Layoffs at the end of big projects are the rule rather than the exception, it's a cut-throat business.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sad to hear. Tyranny is my my favourite rpg in quite a while. It's really nice to see Obsidian innovating with smaller projects.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I went looking on every social group I touch for someone to talk about tunon's trial with and nope i'm the only one I know who bought, played this game, so it doesn't surprise me if it's not doing great. Anecdotally, I mean.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Krinkle posted:

I went looking on every social group I touch for someone to talk about tunon's trial with and nope i'm the only one I know who bought, played this game, so it doesn't surprise me if it's not doing great. Anecdotally, I mean.

steamspy thinks ~110,000 owners, putting it in between Carmageddon: Max Damage and RollerCoaster Tycoon World on the owned list.

That's probably still bouncing around a lot since it's been 3 weeks, but that's about 1/9 of what Pillar of Eternity got.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is chaos orb a bad ultimate? I didn't notice much utility from it. Pushes people away and confuses. So does whats-his-nuts's staff.

What does spell accuracy do on healing spells or buff spells? I have free lore so I add it if I have no other accents but why bother? Can you miss a heal?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

What does spell accuracy do on healing spells or buff spells? I have free lore so I add it if I have no other accents but why bother? Can you miss a heal?

Heals and buffs can crit and accuracy determines crit chance. Critical heals restore more health, critical buffs have extra duration.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Has anyone had any success with vigor spells? The only one I ever felt I could justify a spell slot on was the damage buff cone, everything else just looks super lovely.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Was I not supposed to basic vigor verse every fight? Because I did. I assumed it helped. I also did the vigor spell that added armor piercing to her because her accuracy was great but [weapon ineffective].

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Was I not supposed to basic vigor verse every fight? Because I did. I assumed it helped. I also did the vigor spell that added armor piercing to her because her accuracy was great but [weapon ineffective].

Nothing wrong with it, it's just not that amazing of a spell. The Vigor cone spell (Surge of Glory) is fantastic, though. I also tended to use the armor piercing spell (Polish Arms, I think?) with Verse. Titan's Touch (the basic vigor spell) is just kinda :shrug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Has anyone had any success with vigor spells? The only one I ever felt I could justify a spell slot on was the damage buff cone, everything else just looks super lovely.

The Glory buff and Polish Arms are both really great at helping your party do a lot more damage a lot quicker. I don't remember anything else based off that sigil being remotely useful.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I kept trying to reposition for the cone spell and the disengagement attacks would murder my mages so I never got to really use it. Also I would say "hey cast it on [portrait]" and he would turn and fire it off towards the corner of the screen where portraits are unlike every other goddamn spell that works that way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Krinkle posted:

I kept trying to reposition for the cone spell and the disengagement attacks would murder my mages so I never got to really use it. Also I would say "hey cast it on [portrait]" and he would turn and fire it off towards the corner of the screen where portraits are unlike every other goddamn spell that works that way.

It practically requires the range boost sigil, but you get that early in Act 1. After that you use it before you actually start the fight (also, use custom formations so the natural position for everyone to stand is in the perfect place to be hit by your cone spells and radius-ified other spells)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just started playing and wasnt expecting to be HR Mediator.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Synthbuttrange posted:

I just started playing and wasnt expecting to be HR Mediator.

Welcome to the best thing about this game!

Seriously I'd love if we could get a more modern RPG where you don't have to fight anything, just continual levelling via being an (evil/good) rules lawyer. Of course if neccesary you CAN break out the fireballs, but still it'd be nice if you didn't have to.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Hard is... extremely difficult. I Have one CC spell right now. I try to put a bubble around the blood chanter's head and it fails so.... Guess I die and reload?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I went with a smart talky mage.

Which means as soon as poo poo goes down Barik is the last one standing. Good thing I taught him to heal himself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Hard is... extremely difficult. I Have one CC spell right now. I try to put a bubble around the blood chanter's head and it fails so.... Guess I die and reload?

Keep up the CC. Once you reach act 2, Hard gets a ton easier, both because you have a ton more spells by then and because enemy formations get less challenging in general.

Do you have the Illusion sigil? It's amazing and you can grab it in the Scarlet Chorus camp. Use that + the cone expression for a great CC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Awesome, my high lore unlocked this conversation option!'

'Wait saying this might get me killed'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't work in Marketing but I have to wonder, if Tyranny is underperforming (and I don't know that it is) one reason might be that the title is so simple and doesn't really clue you in that it's even an RPG at all. Pillars of Eternity is a name that screams "dungeons and also possibly dragons are in the offing". Tyranny, not so much. Could have done with a subtitle. "Tyranny: Fatebinder of Tunon" or somesuch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there any downside to looting containers, locked, hidden and regular? No one seems to react to it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is there any downside to looting containers, locked, hidden and regular? No one seems to react to it.

Nope.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Autonomous Monster posted:

I would be really surprised if Tyranny was a smash hit success, or even a moderate success. It's a janky, niche game in a niche genre that got very little press attention.

I got the impression that Tyranny was pretty cheap to make, so i assume that it needs to sell less to be a success. Also, with a niche game like this they are probably counting on sales over the long run, as with Pillars.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Synthbuttrange posted:

I found a single lock in the Blade Grave that had the red "people are gonna get mad if you fiddle with this" icon from PoE, but the only people around were a combat encounter I don't think was avoidable, so it's not like it ended up mattering.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Welcome to the best thing about this game!

Seriously I'd love if we could get a more modern RPG where you don't have to fight anything, just continual levelling via being an (evil/good) rules lawyer. Of course if neccesary you CAN break out the fireballs, but still it'd be nice if you didn't have to.

There would clearly be a market niche for an RPG set in the corporate world between business, IT, marketing, finance, legal and HR.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Bolivar posted:

There would clearly be a market niche for an RPG set in the corporate world between business, IT, marketing, finance, legal and HR.

Which department would be in charge of the fireballs?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Depends on the spell system, Vancian or mana pool?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bolivar posted:

Would play.

Mymla posted:

Which department would be in charge of the fireballs?

In Charles Stross's "The Laundry" series, I'm pretty sure it's IT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atrocity_Archives

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Krinkle posted:

My first playthrough on hard, I gave up around halfway through Act 2 (or 2/3'rds) because my monk caster was worthless garbage and most fights ended up with a last man standing or at least 1 injury. I started to get a special kind of glee watching a character die multiple times in combat (Lantry had his rez talent at the time) meaning I could end a fight with 6 wounds on a character, and often did. I restarted with a 2-hander and fiery vengeance in my heart.

I found out two things:

* Missing guarded force means missing mirror images. You can miss this in Act 1. Missing Mirror Images makes this game an unplayable chore. Don't miss Mirror Images, ever. Ever.
* Get material force as soon as possible. Pick a path, then immediately research the route to get material force asap. Don't delay. You want material force.

Let me break down how two games went when following these instructions.

First game: I fought a Havoc and managed to win by chugging potions, applying food and item buffs before-hand, using every team skill I had, using Lantry to rez the dead, used revival potions, CC'd adds, took a few attempts.

Second game: Same Havoc as my 2-handed wielder with lore. I cast AOE haste/ignite brand/frost/shock whatever on myself, AOE mirror images and spectral blur, and opened on him with flurry -- I killed it in 5 seconds. I took no damage.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What is material force and why do I have to research it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

What is material force and why do I have to research it?

It's an expression sigil for your spells. The "research" is "look up where to find it online," it's not a thing you actually have to research in-game. It lets you cast spells that enchant weapons and, once you get the accent sigil Volcanic Weapon, pretty much breaks the game if you have a couple of good melee attackers (like Verse). Volcanic Weapon makes every melee attack include a line AoE fire blast in front of the attacker, so it makes your melee attacks AoE and deal extra damage, and yes, it works with multi-hit abilities, so it's awesome with unarmed and dual-wield.

I like to go with Vampiric Weapon myself (Sigil of Terratus + Sigil of Material Force). It does slightly less damage than Ignite Brand (Fire + Material Force) but also heals you with each attack so you have even less reason to bother with healing spells.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 8, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm trying to play with characters I didn't play with last time so verse and lantry and beastwoman who wants to gently caress gotta hit the bench. Hope 2h heavy armor sirin works out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I'm trying to play with characters I didn't play with last time so verse and lantry and beastwoman who wants to gently caress gotta hit the bench. Hope 2h heavy armor sirin works out.

So you're using Barik, Sirin, and Eb? What's your Fatebinder's build?

Material Force + Volcanic Weapon is great no matter what weapons you use, though. Use Terratus + Material Force for Vampiric Weapon and you can probably make Barik close to immortal with a two-hander.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

2 handed + lightning. And I think I'm done with the power tree and going to do a lot of leadership stuff. I already got the scream to make people fight betterer skill.

Haha what? Kills in shadow just wanted to join me? I sensed a fight coming so I slapped her first time, hoping to make her bow to my obvious primacy in the aggression olympics, which obviously triggered a huge fight. This time she just joins. Amazing.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 8, 2016

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm making my way through Act 2 on hard without guarded force and it's doable. I gather the merchant in the first area sells it? I didn't buy anything at that point since I didn't yet have an understanding of how the the magic system worked. The difficulty level is fine so far, with the really challenging fights taking a couple of reloads before I can squeak through with only a couple of wounds. I can see my biggest barrier becoming a lack of AoE CC. Once I can get Lantry freezing/stunning/tripping people in a cone it should be cool.

Managing aggro is a lot more labour intensive than it was in PoE and I'm not sure if it's because there are much fewer chokepoints or mobs are just less cooperative. Barik has quite a few ways of regaining aggro and Verse has some nice tricks for unsticking people from Lantry though. Combat in general is a lot less static than in PoE, my lightly armoured main and Verse spend a lot of time manouevring behind the enemy line targeting archers and casters.

Edit: the combo abilities are cool as gently caress.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't actually have to play on hard, either, if you're finding it to be a slog. You can even play on easy if you want!

• Locked thread