Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you never attended the school it's hard to understand the amount of brainwashing they do, it's pretty intense and on top of that you have the former students in your family/extended family telling you from birth how awesome the school is you tend to develop and over inflated sense of importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you never attended the school it's hard to understand the amount of brainwashing they do, it's pretty intense and on top of that you have the former students in your family/extended family telling you from birth how awesome the school is you tend to develop and over inflated sense of importance.

Yeah, I started drinking the Koolaid only about halfway through my first year here, and it's pretty indoctrinating. Traditions on traditions on traditions (and don't get me started on Corps, I feel bad for all my friends who are involved with that). I will admit though, despite all the jokes about Ags and how self important we are, the brainwashing does make it seem way easier to make friends on campus.

I think that's also how a cult works, though. Whoop

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Someone filed a bill to exempt the flag from sales tax :911:

e: also one that makes English the official language and prohibits translation unless the state can get it done for free lmao

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 30, 2016

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/816812079944527873

What kind of odds do you guys think this has of becoming law?

I know our government is stupid but I'm not sure how stupid

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FBS posted:

I'd love to think that the Trump victory will have Patrick so charged up that he really overplays his hand and ends up getting shot down hard, but I'm nope hoping for it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FBS posted:

Strauss isn't stupid enough to do it. Patrick can grandstand all he wants but the bill probably won't make it out of committee in the House.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shifty Pony posted:

Strauss isn't stupid enough to do it. Patrick can grandstand all he wants but the bill probably won't make it out of committee in the House.

Speaking of which, are there any serious challengers to Strauss this session? He's basically become the dam holding back the worst of the worst from completely flooding the state with bullshit.

Of course, this is Texas and we always have to deal with lesser-of-giant evils. As a liberal friend of mine recently said. "If you'd told me two years ago that in 2017 I would be wishing that we had Rick Perry as Governor and Mitt Romney as president, I would have said you were crazy. But here we are."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Speaking of which, are there any serious challengers to Strauss this session? He's basically become the dam holding back the worst of the worst from completely flooding the state with bullshit.

Of course, this is Texas and we always have to deal with lesser-of-giant evils. As a liberal friend of mine recently said. "If you'd told me two years ago that in 2017 I would be wishing that we had Rick Perry as Governor and Mitt Romney as president, I would have said you were crazy. But here we are."

Straus won the 2015 speaker election 128-19 (pretty sure all the Democrats voted for him). I don't know if the House has gotten that much more conservative since then, but I don't follow it that closely.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah, you live in Texas. You root for the home team. If you are actually getting that brainwashed about rooting for the team, there is something seriously wrong with you.

I went to UT, because my parents went to UT. And so gently caress OU, the only reason Texas doesn't float off into the ocean is because Oklahoma sucks.

That said, a highschool buddy of mine went to OU. And he met a nice girl from OSU, and he asked me to be a groomsman at their wedding.

Well OK, we're all going around being nice to each other, but we have to trash talk when the game is on.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 6, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The only reason I have a landline at home still is because I hope to answer a political survey. I finally had that happen earlier this week and it was all abOut Dan Patrick, Greg Abbot, and Donal Trump. They also asked if I cared about border security, gender on birth certificates and bathrooms, hate crime to kill cops, and cutting the budget elsewhere to increase funding for Texas public colleges.

I told them the three named politicians are terrible and the topics they asked about are all conservative scare tactic bullshit and Texas needs to improve funding for schools and post-secondary education through tax increases not austerity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The only reason I have a landline at home still is because I hope to answer a political survey. I finally had that happen earlier this week and it was all abOut Dan Patrick, Greg Abbot, and Donal Trump. They also asked if I cared about border security, gender on birth certificates and bathrooms, hate crime to kill cops, and cutting the budget elsewhere to increase funding for Texas public colleges.

I told them the three named politicians are terrible and the topics they asked about are all conservative scare tactic bullshit and Texas needs to improve funding for schools and post-secondary education through tax increases not austerity.

They threw your answers out, hope this helps

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Look I'm a slacktivist, anything more than just whining about Trump on Facebook is a victory for me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dawna Dukes appears to be betting that she won't be charged (or at least, won't be convicted) after all! I'm assuming if she stays on until the next election she probably loses her primary, but who knows. Her district won't vote for a Republican but they might vote for another Democrat to replace her.

http://www.statesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/dawnna-dukes-won-quit-house-seat-margaret-moore-says/hCFvlqxCA6ZoDigEWukxGO/

quote:

Dukes’ decision did not come on the advice of Fort Worth defense attorney Michael Heiskell, who had been representing her.

“That was not my advice to her,” said Heiskill, who said Dukes had not consulted with him before reversing her decision to step down.

Is he still her attorney?

“Apparently not,” Heiskill said.

Heiskill said he had been contacted earlier in the week by Houston attorney Dane Ball who said he was looking into the matter at Dukes’ request.

Heiskill said it had been his hope that if Dukes had stepped down, the Travis County district attorney would not have sought an indictment.

“But all that’s been scuttled now if what I am hearing is true,” Heiskill said.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Is there another state where the House is moderate and the Senate is the one pushing ideological red meat?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The revenue estimate is out and it's less than last time so get ready for more cuts (after they've already cut everything to pieces)! https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/09/hegar-gives-lawmakers-dour-revenue-estimate-2017-s/

Also get ready for the Lege to refuse to draw from the Rainy Day Fund, which currently has $10 billion in it. It's apparently not for supplementing the budget in lean years. What is it for? Who knows! What a fun mystery of Texas state government.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

The revenue estimate is out and it's less than last time so get ready for more cuts (after they've already cut everything to pieces)! https://www.texastribune.org/2017/01/09/hegar-gives-lawmakers-dour-revenue-estimate-2017-s/

Also get ready for the Lege to refuse to draw from the Rainy Day Fund, which currently has $10 billion in it. It's apparently not for supplementing the budget in lean years. What is it for? Who knows! What a fun mystery of Texas state government.

i'm like 90% sure the rainy day fund is txlege code for embezzlement

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

itll be like when poirot finds an EVIL BANKER STOLE ALL THE INHERITANCE

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the Rainy Day Fund invested, or is it just sitting in a savings account accruing 0.05% annual interest?

e: according to the Comptroller's website it's both

quote:

Throughout most of its history, the Texas Treasury Safekeeping Trust Company, an entity chaired by the comptroller, has invested rainy day fund revenue in short-term, low-yield, highly liquid instruments, to keep the funds readily available if needed.

To maintain the ESF's purchasing power in an era of historically low interest rates, however, the 2015 Legislature authorized the Trust Company to invest the portion of the ESF balance above the sufficient fund balance through its Texas Economic Stabilization Investment Fund.

This investment fund is intended to provide safe and steady returns and prevent the erosion of the ESF balance due to inflation. It's subject to a "prudent investor standard" and must be maintained so the balance is adequate to meet cash-flow requirements. Currently, the Trust Company is investing a majority of ESF revenue above the sufficient fund balance through this fund. This enhanced investment authority expires on Dec. 31, 2024.

At the end of July 2016, the Trust Company had invested about $2.6 billion in this way, and produced a net return of about $56.4 million for the ESF since its September 2015 inception.

https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/economy/fiscal-notes/2016/september/rainy-day.php

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 10, 2017

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Now that I work in local govt (Travis County) I have some fun insider facts. Well, insider-ish.

Dawna Dukes told everyone she was going to resign, so they cleared out her big office and gave it to the next person in line with seniority. When she decided to stay, she got stuck in the smallest, worst office for the most junior person.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

I've always assumed the Rainy Day Fund is basically just a place to sequester public money until they find a politically convenient way to give it to the rich/business class in the form of tax cuts. I hope I'm wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

I've always assumed the Rainy Day Fund is basically just a place to sequester public money until they find a politically convenient way to give it to the rich/business class in the form of tax cuts. I hope I'm wrong.

Didn't Rick Perry have some huge slush fund running that they dismantled after he left? I feel like that's what the rainy day fund is really for.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't Rick Perry have some huge slush fund running that they dismantled after he left? I feel like that's what the rainy day fund is really for.

Perry did have an "economic development" fund that was basically handouts to get companies to move to/expand in Texas. It wasn't as slushy a fund as it could have been, and at least had some small positive impact.

As for the Rainy Day Fund: They didn't even touch it during the great recession. They decided to slash school budgets and fire a shitload of teachers instead. So it's not really a slush fund, it's more a lockbox that we keep putting a bunch of extra money into and somehow forgot how to use the key. (Or where the key is held by some crazy miser who never thinks there is a good enough reason to use it.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Texas GOP position on the rainy day fund is that it should only be used for extremely important one-off expenses that can't be otherwise funded and should never be tapped for any recurring expenses. Which kind of makes sense. Other states have gotten themselves into a lot of trouble using single-time money sources like RDFs or windfalls to fund normal expenses.

But then you realize that money is fungible, nearly everything can be classified as recurring if you look at it right, and that the GOP threshold for what is important enough to merit tapping the rainy day fund is apparently higher than the threshold of what is important enough to merit cutting all other state agencies. Combined we get the current clusterfuck where even if some really important one-time expense comes along the Lege funds it first (because it is super important) then refuses to use the RDF to fund any part of the rest of the budget because those are "recurring" expenses. You could just as easily fund the agencies first and then use the RDF to pay the one-off but noooooooOOOOOoooo.

Also the Texas GOP really likes having a pile of money from which they can look down smugly at other states. :smaug:

Oh small silver lining I thought of the other day: if Trump scraps NAFTA and starts a trade war with Mexico, truck traffic on I35 should drop a bit. So we'll have more room for our Mad Max murderbuggies.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Frankly, a rainy day fund is going to be great for the state if it still exists when climate change starts to devastate coastal regions and access to food. By then Texas will be a stronghold of leftist democrats and we will rule the world

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh small silver lining I thought of the other day: if Trump scraps NAFTA and starts a trade war with Mexico, truck traffic on I35 should drop a bit. So we'll have more room for our Mad Max murderbuggies.

Oh lord. If Trump actually manages to scrap NAFTA, we are beyond hosed. This could be the one thing that would turn back the clock on Austin's growth. (Except instead of turning us back to the early-90s "Slacker" era if would turn us back to the early-00s "DotCom Bust"/"500 people mobbing the new Target's job fair" era.)

EDIT: Actually, here's an interesting game to play. Who will be more hosed if the Trump administration gets its way: Texas of California?

Repealing NAFTA: Fucks both of us (but possibly Texas a tiny bit more)
Mass deportations: Fucks us both equally.
Energy policy / Ignoring climate change: Fucks California more (more coast, and we'll see some short-term oil revenue increases)
Repealing Obamacare: Fucks California more (Perry deciding not to opt-in to the Medicaid expansion almost seems smart now, since that money is gonna vanish)
Trade wars / antagonizing China: Fucks California more (but only in the sense of "hey, they are in the center of the nuclear blast and we're only on the edge of it")

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 10, 2017

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Repealing Obamacare: Fucks California more (Perry deciding not to opt-in to the Medicaid expansion almost seems smart now, since that money is gonna vanish)

All the people that have needlessly suffered and died over the last six years would disagree

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Some guy that claimed he was a representative of the South Korean President just sang the US national anthem, declared that newly elected county commissioner Jeff Travillion should be Governor and then President, and finally condemned the United States for committing terrorism against South Korea by.... not stopping her from being impeached? It wasn't very clear. His rendition of the anthem was great but then poo poo got crazy. He also had all kinds of news articles taped to his suit

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Texas Tribune posted:

Committing a cultural faux pas, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott gave Taiwan's president a clock. According to Taiwan News, the phrase "giving a clock" symbolizes an untimely demise for the recipient.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, that's so unlucky

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
A clock, what a lame gift.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
He probably watched Mr. Robot a long time ago and thought all prominent asian politicians love collecting clocks.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

blue squares posted:

Frankly, a rainy day fund is going to be great for the state if it still exists when climate change starts to devastate coastal regions and access to food. By then Texas will be a stronghold of leftist democrats neo-Trumpist fascists and we will rule the world

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

blue squares posted:

Some guy that claimed he was a representative of the South Korean President just sang the US national anthem, declared that newly elected county commissioner Jeff Travillion should be Governor and then President, and finally condemned the United States for committing terrorism against South Korea by.... not stopping her from being impeached? It wasn't very clear. His rendition of the anthem was great but then poo poo got crazy. He also had all kinds of news articles taped to his suit

I would like to know more about this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

karlor posted:

I would like to know more about this.

hmm ok here you go this is public record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAbu8ioxgo

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
On a related note, we should probably start figuring out what species to use as our Apocalypse Meat. The grackles are probably out, since they'll have evolved super-intelligence. How does gecko taste?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

A lovely Reporter posted:

On a related note, we should probably start figuring out what species to use as our Apocalypse Meat. The grackles are probably out, since they'll have evolved super-intelligence. How does gecko taste?

The answer is always wild hog. Which will mutate into gangs of roving Bebops that tribes will go and hunt in order to pass into adulthood and wear the sunglasses as proof of a successful graduation into being a member of society.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

blue squares posted:

Wait, she's the one that was legit in a loving cult, right?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Jiro posted:

The answer is always wild hog. Which will mutate into gangs of roving Bebops that tribes will go and hunt in order to pass into adulthood and wear the sunglasses as proof of a successful graduation into being a member of society.

And their leader will be Hoggish Greedly from Captain Planet.

A fitting leader for when the world turns into Venus, if you ask me

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spaced God posted:

And their leader will be Hoggish Greedly from Captain Planet.

A fitting leader for when the world turns into Venus, if you ask me

Well he WAS head of the TRC during W's first four years as governor soooooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Straus was unanimously reelected speaker. As in, even the conservatives who always complain about him openly voted for him.