Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't blame Morrison too much in the end

He just does not have the perspective of two Jewish kids down on their luck and frustrated at a world that actively hated them and where, in certain countries, they would be killed just for existing.

To tell that kind of Superman, you need the kind of perspective that gave birth to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seen as Nite Owl is almost literally an impotent parody of Batman....

Ok well yeah, Nite owl is an impotent parody of Batman. So Batman echoing Nite owl would symbolise him being an impotent shadow of the Batman in the comics. A theme of the movie is that Batman is angry at his own impotence and directs this anger towards Superman, which makes sense pre-BvS but not after. After BvS he's reborn, and full of conviction again, so he shouldn't be compared to the sad sack of poo poo that was Nite owl. Right?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Burkion posted:

I can't blame Morrison too much in the end

He just does not have the perspective of two Jewish kids down on their luck and frustrated at a world that actively hated them and where, in certain countries, they would be killed just for existing.

To tell that kind of Superman, you need the kind of perspective that gave birth to him.

Sounds like it's about time for Gay Muslim Superman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DC Murderverse posted:

Unironically sure why not

If it gets good stories written does it really matter?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DC Murderverse posted:

Superman's firsts order of business: demolishes Israel's illegal settlements.

Also who is Lex Luthor in this equation? Mike Pence?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Superman's firsts order of business: demolishes Israel's illegal settlements.

Luthor is an evil genius.

Pence is just evil.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Raxivace posted:

Luthor is an evil genius.

Pence is just evil.

Luthor only hates literal aliens. Probably indifferent towards illegal human immigrants, too.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 1, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Follow the money. Which super PAC is all of Luthor's donations going to and whose super PAC is that?

Who is Bernie Sanders in all this?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Who is Bernie Sanders in all this?

He's just the senior senator from Vermont now that Purrington is blown up. Never really had much of a position on foreign policy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

*in a Bernie Sanders voice while gesticulating animatedly* Superman's interventions benefit the working class men and women who make up the backbone of this great nation...why can't Wall Street follow his example?! You won't see Superman taking a golden parachute...he wears a red cape!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 1, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Milo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Perfect

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Zuckerberg. Luthor created a monster that killed Superman. Zuckerberg created a monster that killed journalism and democracy. Luthor opened a portal to Apokolips and brought back forbidden science, Zuckerberg opened a portal to a dimension where the truth is whatever the loudest and most obnoxious person says it is and brought their standards of truth to our world.

And there's no Justice League to save us.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Just don't make or have a Facebook profile.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

You don't need to make a Facebook profile for Facebook to have a profile for you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

You don't need to make a Facebook profile for Facebook to have a profile for you.

Yeah, so?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Grendels Dad posted:

I did not make or have a Facebook profile. Literally every single human being I know IRL does, though. Might as well say, "well just don't get a building knocked on you or turned to bloody quarks by omnidirectional nuclear death vision", me saying "well I choose not to participate in Doomsday's rampage" doesn't save me though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

scuba school sucks posted:

I did not make or have a Facebook profile. Literally every single human being I know IRL does, though. Might as well say, "well just don't get a building knocked on you or turned to bloody quarks by omnidirectional nuclear death vision", me saying "well I choose not to participate in Doomsday's rampage" doesn't save me though.

I'm just saying you are being overly dramatic, and that equating Zuckerberg to a supernatural force is bad. He might be a lying scumbag, but there is still an element of choice there, he didn't just magic a sixth of humanity into joining his lovely website.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

holy poo poo

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm just saying you are being overly dramatic, and that equating Zuckerberg to a supernatural force is bad. He might be a lying scumbag, but there is still an element of choice there, he didn't just magic a sixth of humanity into joining his lovely website.

I'm equating Zuckerberg to Luthor because he's an evil genius who has created a monster that will destroy humanity unless a comic book superhero saves us. Also because he was played by the guy who plays Luthor. Where do you get "supernatural force" out of that?

Luthor is a lying scumbag, but he didn't magic Batman into believing in the Bush Doctrine or Superman into approaching Batman as a bully, confirming Batman's greatest fears. Luthor manipulated people by appealing to their various prejudices and flaws, and twisting real things that really happened into bullshit to promote hatred and fear. Zuckerberg just created a device that encourages people to do that to themselves and incidentally got rich out of it, heedless of the cost to real people like me that have to live in the bullshit world he's created.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't use Facebook and think it's garbage. I also think that scapegoating Facebook for the bullshit world we live in is absolutely wrong-headed.

Also Milo is an extremely inspired choice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Facebook is Zuckerberg's own little shot of nitro in the World Engine of the 21st century.

Or more to the Eisenberg connection, his drop of blood in the Doomsday matrix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Grendels Dad posted:

That's a key difference, actually. Luthor is an activist, a conspirator, and owns up to it when questioned. Zuckerberg puts up a front of being apolitical, claiming that he just "provides a platform," while making political choices and having huge political impact.

Zuckerberg would make a pretty good Avenger.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Guys what the hell, EisenLuthor is really clearly Martin Shkreli.

"I'm actively making the world a worse place, but it's okay, because I'm doing it ironically."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Does this mean we may get Luthor feuding with a member of the Wu Tang clan at some point?
Or get The Game to do it. Dude fuckin' loves feuds. Or beefs, as i believe they're known.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Luthor funded too many public works and poo poo like that to be Shkreli. Not libertarian enough. You need someone who takes the free market to its logical conclusion. A libertarian would have encouraged people to rebuild the city themselves for themselves and claim ownership of the part they rebuilt.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DeimosRising posted:

Morrison thought he could take Superman back to his left populist depression era roots, but also thought Obama as Superman made sense. No surprise that the former didn't work, in that context. I like Morrison but his radicalism has always been an identitarian, liberal radicalism - ahead of the curve on sex and gender issues, drugs, etc but lacking a class politics that includes poors who aren't queer or self identifying freaks. He thinks the answer is more niceness and tolerance and respect. That's not in line with the anger and class antagonism of that early character and they can't be easily reconciled.

Weird since Morrison grew up in Glasgow in the 1970s-early 80s and his father was jailed multiple times for being a communist agitator among the working class there.

(Actually not weird. That's why Morrison probably got at an early age FULL COMMUNISM NOW is not actually a good position).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Weird since Morrison grew up in Glasgow in the 1970s-early 80s and his father was jailed multiple times for being a communist agitator among the working class there.

(Actually not weird. That's why Morrison probably got at an early age FULL COMMUNISM NOW is not actually a good position).

I mean I won't speculate on his feelings on his dad or his personal/public positions but that's what I see in his work and yeah, it's not implausible for that to be something of a reaction to his dad's experiences.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So last I checked, Zach Snyder is set to direct the Justice League movie and it's sequel. He must of negotiated one hell of a contract.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

So last I checked, Zach Snyder is set to direct the Justice League movie and it's sequel. He must of negotiated one hell of a contract.

His movies have made quite a bit of money.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Oh hell yes. I thought it was just the first one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm hoping they can maintain the ... thematically interesting characters and stories for he upcoming movies. I don't care about the tone, like, I can enjoy the super serious lost in place tone of MoS and BvS, but can also enjoy a lighter tone, too. If they want to make things a little more fun while giving us interesting characters and poo poo I'm toats cool with it. Suicide Squad was just badly written despite having a sillier tone so I hope they at least don't pack shoeboxes full of poo poo and call it a script.

At least Snyder'll keep it gorgeous looking. :allears:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Honestly, if Zack Snyder keeps making his 'popcorn movies' look like moving Rembrandt paintings then I'll at least be interested. He's probably got the best aesthetic skills of any director working at this budget level.

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

well why not posted:

Honestly, if Zack Snyder keeps making his 'popcorn movies' look like moving Rembrandt paintings then I'll at least be interested. He's probably got the best aesthetic skills of any director working at this budget level.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

What If Rembrandt Painted In Colour?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zack Snyder owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcikZF6moZs

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I like how that still looks like a really good movie.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This rules.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C7lUfVIOa4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

What If Rembrandt Painted In Colour?

The irony is that he did. He just didn't know how to properly mix his paints, so they're all slowly degrading. They originally were probably much brighter and vivid.

• Locked thread