Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Jeez, yeah; I'm two military levels ahead of the Mamluks, one ahead of Qara... How much of a difference does being a military level above make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There are some techs where it can make up for nearly any other deficiency (if you're western, for instance, tech 12 basically makes your units doubly as effective as being tech 11), and others where it does practically nothing. It really depends on what the tech is.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

I doubt you can WC from there, not enough progress in Europe. What are your ideas? If they're not Admin/Influence/Quantity/Diplo it'll be especially tough.

But your first two should be fine, Silk Road, Master of India, the 10 gold mines one, At Every Continent, Three Georgias.

Why Diplo for an Ottomans run? For a war-focused power like the Ottomans it seems like less than an optimal pick, but I'm sure there's just something I'm missing. Is it because of the reduced warscore cost and bonus to improved relations, since that affects AE now?

Full disclosure, I've never actually done an Ottomans run in all of my many hours but I'm planning on doing one soon for an easy comp stomp game, so I'd be interested in any advice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

Why Diplo for an Ottomans run? For a war-focused power like the Ottomans it seems like less than an optimal pick, but I'm sure there's just something I'm missing. Is it because of the reduced warscore cost and bonus to improved relations, since that affects AE now?

Full disclosure, I've never actually done an Ottomans run in all of my many hours but I'm planning on doing one soon for an easy comp stomp game, so I'd be interested in any advice.

You want it for the -20% province WS cost. +2 Diplo Rep to make annexing your vassals faster also helps, as does reducing the cost of truce breaking. It's definitely the least important of the bunch though, if you really want to go hogwild your first three picks will be Admin/Influence/Quantity. Then you'll want to fit Defensive, Religious and Diplomatic in there at some point, depending on where your monarch points are at.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

You want it for the -20% province WS cost. +2 Diplo Rep to make annexing your vassals faster also helps, as does reducing the cost of truce breaking. It's definitely the least important of the bunch though, if you really want to go hogwild your first three picks will be Admin/Influence/Quantity. Then you'll want to fit Defensive, Religious and Diplomatic in there at some point, depending on where your monarch points are at.

Thanks. Any general advice on stuff I should make sure to do or avoid in an Ottomans run? I'm not going for a WC and I imagine it's pretty hard to gently caress up, but just wondering.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks. Any general advice on stuff I should make sure to do or avoid in an Ottomans run? I'm not going for a WC and I imagine it's pretty hard to gently caress up, but just wondering.

Have some concrete goal so that you don't get bored.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am usually torn if I want to go Diplo or Influence first as Ottomans; my most recent game I went influence but havent been able to play enough to see if it makes a difference. I really like Diplo though because of the extra diplomat, province warscore cost, diplo tech cost reduction, and lessened effect of diplo actions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Make the decision early whether you want to Religious and convert everything, or Humanist and ignore religion forever. The latter option is way easier from a quality of life standpoint, but it'll make you brittle if you ever get caught in a hellwar.

But yeah it's real hard to gently caress up as the Ottos.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Have some concrete goal so that you don't get bored.

Here's my suggestion: conquer the Netherlands for their beautiful tulips.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gah, since when does France start with an Alliance with Provence? Last time I started a France game was several versions back, you weren't allied with them and they had some of your cores. Now it almost seems like the most reasonable plan would be to just wait for a PU to fire? Except even if they lack an heir and I'm royal married with more prestige they would stay independent? What gives?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

On top of what others said, vassals are extremely useful for conquering at a big AE discount and for coring without without spending admin, and diplomatic ideas basically make it easier to shuffle vassals

Plus there's a Quantity/Diplomatic policy that gives a ten percent force limit boost, which is pretty good

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is it worth using vassals for annexing as the Ottomans though? I always figured with the Ottoman coring discount + admin ideas, it was actually cheaper to just core it directly. I guess you can do it all at once more effectively with diplo though.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Koramei posted:

Is it worth using vassals for annexing as the Ottomans though? I always figured with the Ottoman coring discount + admin ideas, it was actually cheaper to just core it directly. I guess you can do it all at once more effectively with diplo though.

It's not really about cheaper, it's about letting your diplo points be useful. Also about being able to expand while capped on overextension, and about minimizing AE, and about getting free claims on people.
So it's not the primary growth mechanism but it's a useful bonus.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The most important part is the cores for AE reduction, I think. In my Otto game I'm about to annex Aragon after releasing them and feeding them all their iberian cores, and of course there's Iraq, Persia, Transylvania, Kiev or Styria.

And this only applies to WCs but since admin points are at a premium, annexing vassals is a great way to get full cores in your states instead of having 50-75% autonomy everywhere.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I want either a quality or quantity idea first, if I'm not going hog-wild with new world stuff, right? I'm playing as the ottomans and manpower's been a real bottleneck so I'm tempted to go Quantity.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

spectralent posted:

I want either a quality or quantity idea first, if I'm not going hog-wild with new world stuff, right? I'm playing as the ottomans and manpower's been a real bottleneck so I'm tempted to go Quantity.

Quantity is a perfectly good pick for Ottomans, I'd suggest Defensive as another good option. As Ottomans you should be very rich, try hiring more mercenaries and that will help your manpower a lot

edit: also, when discussing Diplomatic and Influence ideas, remember that Better Relations Over Time got merged with Improve Relations, so Diplomatic ideas help with AE now too

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 8, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

edit: also, when discussing Diplomatic and Influence ideas, remember that Better Relations Over Time got merged with Improve Relations, so Diplomatic ideas help with AE now too
Yeah now Diplomatic vs Influence is AE decay vs AE gain.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah now Diplomatic vs Influence is AE decay vs AE gain.

The main choice between the two is whether you'll be doing a lot of vassal integration (take Influence) or not (take Diplomatic). I would say Influence is also probably better in the middle of Europe/HRE because the upfront AE reduction will help you more against coalitions. If you're the Ottomans or someone else alternating wars on two fronts, the Improve Relations from Diplomatic is great.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My first war with Russia and Crimea ended in a draw because Poland white peaced out. :saddowns:

On the plus side we kicked the Ottomans pretty good in a hilarious separate war (me, mega-Spain, and Poland against pretty much just the Turks), so I only really need to keep trying against Russia. Or ideally see them busy themselves with another war so I can completely trash Crimea.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Finally made a pretty big mistake in my first proper ironman game. Declared on bohemia to feed back my vassal poland some cores, they are allied to Prussia and saxony who I didn't notice had Russia in a PU. Ops.

Luckily I am the Ottomans and I have a forcelimit of 270, and I can take 4000 ducats in a single loan :v: I am going to try and drown them in mercs until they at least white peace out hopefully.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

If you're the Ottomans or someone else alternating wars on two fronts, the Improve Relations from Diplomatic is great.

I think that's just faster Improve Relations speed for your diplomats, not Better Relations Over Time.

They should make that more clear either way.

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 9, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

TorakFade posted:

I can take 4000 ducats in a single loan

i am terrified

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Elman posted:

I think that's just faster Improve Relations speed for your diplomats, not Better Relations Over Time.

They should make that more clear either way.

I think they recently merged the two into one stat.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

How likely is it to get a big High American empire in random new world? I had a good start with one visible in the great powers list but then I accidentally saved over it...

Edit: Didn't even think about changing the options.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 9, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

genericnick posted:

How likely is it to get a big High American empire in random new world? I had a good start with one visible in the great powers list but then I accidentally saved over it...

You can make it more likely by changing RNW fantasy element likelihood in the options.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wish they'd play around with idea groups a bit more, beyond just rebalancing the lovely ones and the plutocratic/aristocratic split.

Like, say, Advanced groups, where if you finish a group it unlocks an optional advanced version, so I could choose to double down on my being innovative or trade focused. Split some of the really good groups everyone takes across two groups to make them less of a no brainer and make less chosen groups crazy powerful if you double down.

Maybe give some nations a unique bonus to buying certain groups in their starting traditions, like England gets a 50% discount on buying Naval or Maritime ideas, or the Papal States gets a 50% for religious?

Maybe instead of just having a 'religious' group, each religion could have its own unique religious group with some different twists.

Maybe lock some idea groups so you can't be both offensive & defensive while focusing on quality and quantity simultaneously. I guess it might be too complicated, but I could even see mutually exclusive similar groups, so Exploration A focuses on trade, gives you QFTNW, 1 colonist, and 2 traders because you're going around Africa, Exploration B gives you QFTNW, 3 colonists, 0 traders, because you're going for America, you get QFTNW either way but you can't take both groups.

It just seems like you could do some more fun stuff with idea groups in general, even if my specific ideas are crap.

Maybe I should just try one of the mods that adds 5000 idea groups and is probably hilariously unbalanced. :lol:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I have a looming disaster (peasant war) coming up; is there anything I can do about that? I got -1 stability from an event, and then had the peasant war thing within a month, and even though my stability's back to +/-0 it keeps ticking up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spectralent posted:

I have a looming disaster (peasant war) coming up; is there anything I can do about that? I got -1 stability from an event, and then had the peasant war thing within a month, and even though my stability's back to +/-0 it keeps ticking up.

Tooltip will tell you what you need to do to prevent the disaster. In case of Peasants' War you need to have 50% of your maximum manpower (or be in another disaster, by you don't want to do that). If it isn't feasible to get back to that before it fires you'll just have to suck it up. If you can't avoid it, the Peasants' War isn't that bad though. Just make sure the rebels don't control any province and boost stability to 1 and it ends right away. And the rebels will mostly be peasants who are easy to beat even at a size disadvantage.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It took away three stability when it fired, though, and I've been conquering everything constantly so I don't have tons of admin to spend boosting it back up.

Does stability actually do anything? It feels like the game just randomly takes it from you to gently caress with you sometimes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

spectralent posted:

Read the tooltip. Boost stability to 1 and the disaster will stop ticking. Let your manpower rebuild and it will go away.

spectralent posted:

Does stability actually do anything? It feels like the game just randomly takes it from you to gently caress with you sometimes.

Mouse over poo poo man. And yes, that is what stability is for.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It feels really stupid that having a high manpower cap makes it virtually impossible to avert. This is such a pain in the rear end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spectralent posted:

It feels really stupid that having a high manpower cap makes it virtually impossible to avert. This is such a pain in the rear end.

Recovering manpower takes the same number of months regardless of your cap.

The way to avoid it is by boosting stability to stop it ticking and then not getting into any wars until your manpower is back.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

I've never succeeded in the "recover manpower" mission :saddowns:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

awesmoe posted:

I've never succeeded in the "recover manpower" mission :saddowns:

That one's actually really easy and the answer is "speed 5"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

That one's actually really easy and the answer is "speed 5"

I've never resisted the temptation to start a war for 5 years regardless of speed. I got a fever and the only cure is to paint the world red with blood

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jabor posted:

The way to avoid it is by boosting stability to stop it ticking and then not getting into any wars until your manpower is back.

Does it need to be actually positive, then?

EDIT: Ffffffffff yeah, okay. I misread the tooltip, stability less than one, not stability minus one.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2016

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
anyway: janissaries - yes or no? I went with no (I didn't create them) but I think that's a bad call, since it looks pretty easy to avoid the disaster?

The bonus is 10% manpower 10% inf ability 5% discipline for 100+ years, until your ruler doesn't have a 5 stat, then you get +x% progress per month (which is probably 0% because you're ottomans so you wont be bankrupt or not be a great power etc).
If you get a 5+ ruler, does the progress reset to 0?

If it fires, how long do you get the +25% tech/idea cost -25% manpower for? Couple of years?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

awesmoe posted:

anyway: janissaries - yes or no? I went with no (I didn't create them) but I think that's a bad call, since it looks pretty easy to avoid the disaster?

The bonus is 10% manpower 10% inf ability 5% discipline for 100+ years, until your ruler doesn't have a 5 stat, then you get +x% progress per month (which is probably 0% because you're ottomans so you wont be bankrupt or not be a great power etc).

If it fires, how long do you get the +25% tech/idea cost -25% manpower for? Couple of years?

It'd be worth getting . It's very easy to get rulers with 5 in at least one skill as the Ottomans, their heir system is absurdly good. Always get Janissaries.

Also go with the +50 Army Tradition event choice. 200 military points may seem more efficient since your AT is gonna drop quickly anyway, but you can easily hire 4 god generals with that AT and if you're constantly fighting it'll drop slower than you think.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

Well, it's easy to avoid if you take defensive and quality to start, or aristocratic I guess, and keep your military tradition above 70. If it's above 70 the disaster won't fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I think they recently merged the two into one stat.

Yep, for example the Better Relations Over Time advisor is now Improve Relations.

Influence isn't the obvious pick for reducing AE anymore, it's a question of if you are going to integrate vassals and whether you want less AE up front or faster decay.

Improve Relations will also speed decay of other negative modifiers too.

• Locked thread