Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They last the rest of the encounter, yes. There's no limit but you explained pretty well why that doesn't really matter that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Completely unrelated other question: Is the Palladium Fantasy RPG Second Edition (the one that's compatible with Rifts) available anywhere on PDF? I picked up the First Edition on DTRPG but wanted to get this one as well.

Roleplaying Public Radio's Patreon recently started a feature where they go through the Rifts books, but I think it had the opposite intended effect on me because I only became more enamored with wanting to play with these systems.

Countblanc posted:

They last the rest of the encounter, yes. There's no limit but you explained pretty well why that doesn't really matter that much.

Thanks. I only very recently realized that it was a thing, and it seems like a nifty alternate solution to a "whiff-fests" besides the Escalation Die.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Roleplaying Public Radio's Patreon recently started a feature where they go through the Rifts books, but I think it had the opposite intended effect on me because I only became more enamored with wanting to play with these systems.

Imagine I quoted the worst gaming experience someone shared on RPGnet once that involved their unstable, abusive boyfriend. The person was trying to avoid naming what game system it was to keep the story more anonymous, but from the way the boyfriend was obsessed with his anime cyberninja everyone in the thread instantly knew it was RIFTS. Because reading that was enough to convince me that no one should be inflicted with RIFTS.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Elfgames posted:

man you should have moved the game for the kid now he's going to end up playing vampire the masquerade on furcadia until some alaskan woman calls his parents trying to buy him because he has an "old soul"

I've never heard this story, and now I sorta need to.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because I didn't want to derail the 5e thread any harder: How does Strike! RPG's Miss Tokens work?

From what I've heard, it's something like:

Whenever a character misses, they earn a Miss Token. They can cash in this token on any later attack, to turn a miss, into a hit.

Is there a limit to how many tokens you can earn? I actually expect that you wouldn't really ever earn all that much, since you don't earn it on a hit, and you don't earn it on a miss that you turn into a hit with a Token.
How far does it carry over? Just to the end of the encounter?

You pretty much nailed it here and Countblanc elaborated on it already, but there's one more interesting feature to Miss Tokens that ties into the combat resolution mechanic in Strike!: whenever you roll a 1 on an attack in Strike! you get a Strike, which is a bad thing. At the end of each combat Strikes are tallied together for each character separately (to see which Conditions they might get from the combat) and for the team altogether (to see how well they succeeded in reaching their goal; in Strike! each combat is supposed to start with the players declaring their intent beyond "We want to kill all the orcs.").

Now, a 1 turned into a hit with a Miss Token still gives you a Strike. If you're thinking of adapting Miss Tokens into another system that already has bad things happening if you miss badly enough, I'd keep the part about bad things still happening on a miss you turned into a hit intact.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Drone posted:

I've never heard this story, and now I sorta need to.

The original post.

As read by King Lou Fernandez.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

sorry dude this is an SA original i think it was posted in the old gaming experiences thread.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Completely unrelated other question: Is the Palladium Fantasy RPG Second Edition (the one that's compatible with Rifts) available anywhere on PDF? I picked up the First Edition on DTRPG but wanted to get this one as well.

There are neat things about Rifts, but the rules are not one of them. The RPPR episode reminded me of just how much pointless extra work the rules entail, and there's the thing that people who've played with Siembieda say he doesn't even really use his own rules in play (though apparently he's a great GM). The system basically started as a set of AD&D house rules, and while there are some ideas that were nifty in 1981 (you get to roll to defend yourself!), overall it's just poor game design, and the real appeal is the wacky ideas. Palladium fantasy has wolfmen PCs, elementalist warlocks, psionics, demons, gargoyles, etc. It's not quite as over the top as Rifts, but it's a neat departure from D&D.

Palladium has always been a little behind on technology, and they were paranoid enough about piracy that they put off getting into doing PDFs for years (even though people had already scanned and :filez:'ed practically their entire catalog). They have a decent selection of stuff on DTRPG now, but not the 2e Palladium Fantasy. Knowing them, it's entirely possible that this is because the original layout was done manually, by actually pasting things into place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ewen Cluney posted:

Palladium has always been a little behind on technology, and they were paranoid enough about piracy that they put off getting into doing PDFs for years (even though people had already scanned and :filez:'ed practically their entire catalog). They have a decent selection of stuff on DTRPG now, but not the 2e Palladium Fantasy. Knowing them, it's entirely possible that this is because the original layout was done manually, by actually pasting things into place.

Thank you for the feedback! Looks like Rifts it is then (I'm kidding)

And I am totally with you that it's really the setting that's attractive, but at the same time I'm not really in the mood to do a by-hand conversion to a mechanical system that I do know works.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you for the feedback! Looks like Rifts it is then (I'm kidding)

And I am totally with you that it's really the setting that's attractive, but at the same time I'm not really in the mood to do a by-hand conversion to a mechanical system that I do know works.
If I were to do a Rifts game I'd probably use something like FAE that would let me do it with little to no conversion work. I'd also crank up the "Heavy Metal Album Cover: The Game" aspect to 11. And probably listen to a lot of Blind Guardian and Iron Savior.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Imagine I quoted the worst gaming experience someone shared on RPGnet once that involved their unstable, abusive boyfriend. The person was trying to avoid naming what game system it was to keep the story more anonymous, but from the way the boyfriend was obsessed with his anime cyberninja everyone in the thread instantly knew it was RIFTS. Because reading that was enough to convince me that no one should be inflicted with RIFTS.

I remember the exact story you mean. :smith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elfgames posted:

sorry dude this is an SA original i think it was posted in the old gaming experiences thread.

it is the one I was describing though, so thank you for finding that! :)

Arivia posted:

I remember the exact story you mean. :smith:

:smith: Is definitely the best way to describe it... but at least she got out :unsmith:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

quote:

One day he admitted to me that he hadn't played in a campaign with other people in years (“not since I thought D&D was cool,” he'd scoff), but he made campaigns to play by himself, constantly. Not just brainstorming, not rolling up characters, not imagining storylines; he was actually creating a full contingent of players, NPCs, settings, and storylines and then playing them all by himself for months on end. He wouldn't sleep, he wouldn't eat, he would just roll roll roll, and then come over to my house in the middle of the night, stand outside my window while I was sleeping, and manically describe the battle his warriors had just had.
I cannot seriously fathom sticking around this person, on this sentence alone. Although it does remind me of my first group, the group I abandoned because the first session involved the DM sending a great wyrm at us and then quickly having us enslaved by it, then watching it get killed by his super awesome level 30(!!!) DMPC. I suck around for another session just to see if it got any better (it did not), and one of the other players first suggested, then insisted on us referring to each other by our character names. That was my signal to leave and never come back. I found out later that the dude turned super goth, dropped out of high school, and last I heard was driving around the state being a very stereotypical vampire LARPer.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, Palladium Fantasy (and nearly all of its supplements) would have been one of the glue machine books, and from what I understand most of the Palladium PDFs of older books are just raw image scans for this reason. Mysteries of Magic is likely the only one that's been done using actual layout software, and ironically, it isn't on DTRPG either.

I actually prefer the original 1e Palladium Fantasy in some ways because once they decided to make it compatible with other Palladium RPGs, enemy HP values ballooned to match, some by as much as ten times. But on the other hand, all the newer books are done with 2e as the presumption (I'd recommend most of the Bill Coffin's tenure on the line). Converting it to other systems is mainly just tricky if you want to keep the "feel" of Palladium magic, which is at least interesting because it has many completely different types of magic even in the core (spell magic, elemental magic, rune magic, circle magic, psionics, and priest magic). And they all run very differently. Ultimately, though, I think Palladium Fantasy is probably one of the better games for the "Megaversal" system just because it isn't overloaded with a bunch of lovely sub-systems and rules kludges, and the enemy design is relatively under control. Combat order is still a PitA but it runs a hell of a lot better than something like Rifts does, it's on the level of something like AD&D 2e.

Savage Worlds Rifts runs fairly well so far, in my experience, depending on how much you like Savage Worlds to begin with. The balance is all over the place, of course, and there are definitely some design decisions I take issue with. But works competently and doesn't actually stand in the way of running the game like the Megaversal system does. Thinking about it, a Savage Worlds conversion of Palladium Fantasy wouldn't be too hard, you'd have to come up with new Arcane Backgrounds for a few of the power types and convert the races but that's relatively simple compared to what a lot of other systems would entail.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

If you can play Palladium Fantasy 1e it is preferable. It's a straight houseruling of AD&D and includes a number of fairly decent fixes for 1983. The one that stuck out most is the combat gains for each class that provide some measurable difference in how each class fights. It's still a terrible game compared to modern offerings, but it is better than many of its contemporaries and better than its successor in my opinion. It is not really compatible with 2e stuff, though, and that's most of what you can find in the aftermarket.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The balance is all over the place, of course, and there are definitely some design decisions I take issue with.
I really can't imagine a system for Rifts where balance wouldn't be all over the place. Like, imbalance is pretty much baked into the core concept.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It'd be possible with a lot of recent games where your concept doesn't play directly into your chances of actual success or failure (FATE, 13th Age, *World, etc.), but it would lose a lot of that unique character feel that Rifts has intends.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 9, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It'd be possible with a lot of recent games where your concept doesn't play directly into your chances of actual success or failure (FATE, 13th Age, *World, etc.), but it would lose a lot of that unique character feel that Rifts has intends.

As long as I can still play a game where the player's handbook presents "a man with a 12-foot tall invincible robosuit that shoots a shoulder-mounted railgun" and "a bum" as equally valid character archetypes, I'm in.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I really can't imagine a system for Rifts where balance wouldn't be all over the place. Like, imbalance is pretty much baked into the core concept.
The best was that time the GM balanced the enemies according to the overall group, which included not one but two Mega-Juicers. I was playing a Mind Melter, which is one of the most powerful psychic classes, but not nearly as big on raw power as a freaking Mega-Juicer. It was kind of a mess, but then most of our Rifts games were.

Before I was aware of the possibilities of stuff like Cortex Plus, I had the idea that Rifts could have power tiers, so if the GM really wanted to have a campaign about a bum with minor psychic powers and a city rat getting into trouble they could just say it's a Tier 1 game, or if they want total gonzo nonsense they could say Tier 5 and open up dragon hatchlings and demigods.

Also the thing that despite the whole premise of Rifts being based on magic returning to Earth with unprecedented power, magic O.C.C.s tended to be kind of weak in terms of raw power, and Siembieda later wrote one of his trademark (:v:) rants about how actually magic guys were supposed to be all tricky and stuff.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I wish I liked Savage Worlds, every time I've tried it I just didn't like it. I basically have grown to dislike any game that uses that sort of "wounds" system (Mutants and Mastermind being another one).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My main issue with Savage Worlds is that it's kind of bland mechanically, at least when it comes to building characters, but admittedly it's been a couple years since I last gave the system a serious look, so maybe newer expansions and system books have changed that up since then(also reminds me that I need to take a look at the Accursed setting since I have that lying around from a Bundle of Holding I bought a while ago)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm being made to play Seafall tonight and I really don't want to

Trying to watch how to play videos and my eyes just glaze over ughhhhhh

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
On the latest blogpost for The Next Project, (now with handy-dandy link to the Core Rules on the sidebar) two new classes are introduced:

- Warrior (d10) [Scout/Skald archetypes]
- Guardian (d6) [Shaman/Warden archetypes]

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Moola posted:

i'm being made to play Seafall tonight and I really don't want to

Trying to watch how to play videos and my eyes just glaze over ughhhhhh

I'm four games into a Seafall campaign and the game itself is honestly pretty meh, but the campaign unlocks make it really cool. If you're only playing once though that's pretty poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think it's going to be a campaign, not just a one off

depending on what we think of it I guess

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Savage Worlds is relatively bland but when you're measuring it next to the Megaversal system, it's got a low bar to hurdle over. Of course, a lot of it comes down to whatever custom mechanics you have for a setting and whether or not those impart a flavor or not, otherwise it is kind of generically pulpy.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Tendales posted:

See, I kind of like the idea of a game where you you have to go carefully, avoid fights when possible, stack the odds in your favor when a fight is necesary, etc. That's a totally valid concept for a game. What gets me, though, is that D&D has never improved the tools it gives you for this play style.

Other aspects of the game have been refined and (we'll accept as given for the sake of argument) improved over the editions. Combat, in particular, has had the most effort put into it over the years, but even to a lesser extent talking and overcoming non-combat obstacles have been fleshed out. But the mini-game of "don't get into a fight" has never had any revision to be more entertaining. In fact the exact opposite: by making combat so fleshed out, you're actually disincentivized against avoiding fights. Fights are where the game is. If you want to play, you have to get into a fight. The whole trope of 'role playing not roll-playing !!!!1!' has no mechanical backing whatsoever.

I wonder what the game would be like if D&D's evolution hadn't been a more and more complex combat system, and all that work had gone into the avoiding combat game.

It's a play style that as far as I know is only incentivized in first edition D&D, as not only was it incredibly easy to die, that was by far the least efficient way to level up your character. Gold and treasure is where all your experience comes from, and killing monsters gave next to none. Even first edition's toolbox was heavily combat-oriented for all that, but I think 2nd edition onward discarded the whole idea of "leveling through exploration" in favor of making monster killing the primary means of generating experience, so it wasn't even really a pretense at that point.

I share the disdain for the heavy emphasis almost every game system places on combat. Even when the game sets out to do something that isn't that, it inevitably hamstrings itself by filling half or more of the rulebook with rules about loving combat. The only system I've played that puts equal complexity and investment into social situations is Burning Wheel, and I'm genuinely undecided whether I count "making an argument feel like combat" as a point in its favor.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reene posted:

It's a play style that as far as I know is only incentivized in first edition D&D, as not only was it incredibly easy to die, that was by far the least efficient way to level up your character. Gold and treasure is where all your experience comes from, and killing monsters gave next to none.

Yeah it's also important to remember that the "Fantasy loving Vietnam" mode of play maybe wasn't something that Gygax set out to do create specifically, but was a natural outgrowth of what it was like to play the game as-written.

Sort of like how the original 1994 X-COM's intro cinematic depicts a small elite squad of soldiers beating back the aliens handily with automatic weapons fire, but the actual gameplay is more like a bunch of a redshirts groping in the dark while they're shot in the back with hot plasma and you overwhelm the alien invaders through sheer force of numbers (and lots of high explosives, drat the collateral damage).

And it's not any sort of coincidence either that both early D&D and X-COM's high lethality gameplay creates a sort of "procedurally generated narrative" where you extract the personality, quirks and backstory of your individual characters from their in-game performance rather than a well fleshed-out pre-existing backstory, and that later games in the respective series then both try to make it more deliberately narrative, and later off-shoots also trying to deliberately capture the Vietnam-esque gameplay rather than stumbling into it by accident.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
It's also extremely hard to tell now how much of the Gygaxian FFV gameplay ever actually happened as described at the table - as far as I can tell what what we know for real is that Gygax fudged and adapted and reworked his gameplay a bunch based on what his players were doing, but then wrote up the game as if it was a fixed ruleset. And D&D players absolutely love telling and retelling stories about their characters, and the stories about cunningly surviving dangerous situations are the interesting ones. So you have people reinventing True D&D as a backconstruction from what I honestly suspect are mostly fishing stories.

Plus a lot of the stories that you see coming from people like Tim Kask are absolutely slanted based on the fights with Dave Arneson back in the day.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I want a goddamn FFV tabletop rpg, as in Final Fantasy V, the one with all the jobs which you could customize and modulate into insane poo poo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's what I had assumed they were talking about actually lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

That's what I had assumed they were talking about actually lol

Well, that's what Strike! Second Edition is gonna be. Or else.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Reene posted:

I share the disdain for the heavy emphasis almost every game system places on combat. Even when the game sets out to do something that isn't that, it inevitably hamstrings itself by filling half or more of the rulebook with rules about loving combat. The only system I've played that puts equal complexity and investment into social situations is Burning Wheel, and I'm genuinely undecided whether I count "making an argument feel like combat" as a point in its favor.

This is why I love Ars Magica. It's rules-heavy as all hell, but all of the rules are about being cool-as-gently caress wizards, or for having fun playing as the staff while the cool wizards have their noses buried a book.

Also Heroquest, which just strait up cuts to the storygaming bone and treats combat exactly the same as any other obstacle. I once played in a game where a sailor used his background as a mason to kill a giant living statue by collapsing a Hagia Sophia-esqe temple onto it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Combat as typically modeled in D&D-inspired games tests a certain skillset: positioning, order of operations, target prioritization, and the math problem that is charop hidden underneath that. It's got a lot of layered systems interacting with each other and it's really interesting to solve.

As far as I'm concerned roleplaying is just a way to give a little extra incentive not to lose at that game, and to get people who wouldn't play actual wargames involved in it. I don't really care what it models, either; it's easy to make it model combat because it started out as a combat simulation, but it's gotten well away from those origins in a lot of ways (thank god.)

Any game that looks at D&D, sees the combat, sees the non-combat, and decides "everything should work the way the non-combat stuff works" is headed in a direction I don't give a poo poo about. Make a diplomacy or investigation or cook-off game as complex and rewarding as 4E D&D combat and you have my attention.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 12, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Combat as typically modeled in D&D-inspired games tests a certain skillset: positioning, order of operations, target prioritization, and the math problem that is charop hidden underneath that. It's got a lot of layered systems interacting with each other and it's really interesting to solve.

As far as I'm concerned roleplaying is just a way to give a little extra incentive not to lose to that game, and to get people who wouldn't play actual wargames involved in it. I don't really care what it models, either; it's easy to make it model combat because it started out as a combat simulation, but it's gotten well away from those origins in a lot of ways (thank god.)

Any game that looks at D&D, sees the combat, sees the non-combat, and decides "everything should work the way the non-combat stuff works" is headed in a direction I don't give a poo poo about. Make a diplomacy or investigation or cook-off game as complex and rewarding as 4E D&D combat and you have my attention.

Yeah most of my enjoyment of D&D comes from the combat, cause while you need a certain amount of competence at role-playing to get any enjoyment out of that aspect of the game(and I'll openly admit I'm mediocre at role-playing at best), it doesn't take as much effort to enjoy the combat or character building aspects of the game, just requires some grasp of the rules and a semi competent DM

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think it's fine to like those games. I think it's not fine, or at least really dumb, to try to sell (in the monetary or the to your pals sense) those games under the guise of something that is decidedly not that game, i.e. a roleplaying sandbox where the primary focus is developing a cast of characters and progressing a storyline of some kind. The latter is ostensibly what the vast majority of D&D players I've ever met are actually interested in despite D&D being a terrible medium for that kind of gameplay.

We're old grogs, so we know what we're getting into if someone asks us to sit down for a game of D&D insert-whatever-the-gently caress-edition. Most people don't or won't. I sure as hell didn't when I sat down for my first game of 3.5. And I genuinely think that a lot of people want a more story-oriented system but they either don't know what their options are because D&D has been so good at becoming the only game in town in terms of general market share and popularity or because they don't want to seem like ~not a real gamer~.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reene posted:

And I genuinely think that a lot of people want a more story-oriented system but they either don't know what their options are because D&D has been so good at becoming the only game in town in terms of general market share and popularity or because they don't want to seem like ~not a real gamer~.

I agree, even if it isn't my preference, but I don't necessarily think all of those people want a rules-light game. Most of the people I've played with in the hobby who got their start on video game rpgs with lots of customization. Not just because people like messing with numbers and poo poo, but because most people new to the hobby are really loving bad at roleplaying. I know I was, and I can only think of one person I've introduced to the hobby over the last 2 years who wasn't (and they had lots of acting/improv experience and were mostly RPing an existing character).

Having lots of rules, abilities, etc. I could point to in a book was a great way to ease me into what seemed like a really overwhelming thing. People freeze up when told to act on the spot; a sheet that has a bunch of skills like "persuasion" or "climbing" is a good aide for people to fall back on when they're not sure what to do. I'm on the DTAS bandwagon but I think it sparks a player's imagination to think about what their low INT character would do in a situation versus the high CHA person to their right. These particular things aren't the only way to help people out but they're a comfortable one that people who come into the hobby from other nerd-game-things (tcgs, computer/console rpgs) expect and are used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, related to that...

Ever notice how, with RPGs, "customization" means "having a lot of specifically defined mechanical doodads to pick from" instead of, say, a more freeform and rules-light system where you can literally make anything work?

• Locked thread