Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kayle7 posted:

I did that wire spiral forcefield glitch so it could ram through stuff without damaging anything.

How did this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you have a big heavy vehicle with tank treads, does it take damage when running into other vehicles or will it just crush them and drive over?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I did something similar with my big vehicle build but instead of tank treads the front part was a giant roller. Could kind of navigate cities but it was better for setting up on the outskirts and loot on foot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I dunno if it's changed in the very latest experimentals, but as of 4-5 months ago, you will always take some small amount of damage and you will never crush something you hit; in the best case, it will be shoved out of the way (slowly). In the worst you'll just rebound off.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mzbundifund posted:

How did this work?

If a part was attached to something ahead of and behind it, it could not break off, since that would turn one vehicle into two vehicles. You could encase a vehicle in a cage of wire such that what you were ramming things with was invincible because the game wouldn't let it break off.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So I'm playing a character where I've finally made it far enough that I can easily produce ammunition, so I'm using guns as my primary weapon rather than just an "oh poo poo" back up. But I have no idea how the hell these stats work.

I get that dispersion is the amount the bullet will stray from firing, and lower is better. But what is "sight dispersion", then? Currently using an AR-15, which has a sight dispersion of 180 with no mods. But I can craft a laser sight that has a 360 sight dispersion which is... way higher. Does sight dispersion work the other way around, higher is better? Or am I misunderstanding something? Because why would I ever want to use that, and why does a laser sight make my accuracy worse?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

As I understand, sight vs normal dispersion is the worse of the two. If you strap a rifle scope to an MP5 then your sight dispersion is 0 but the gun itself will disperse.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Then is there any point at all in using laser sights? Because if that's the case it would do literally nothing; the base sight dispersion is 180 on the AR-15.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Laser sights make you aim faster, I believe.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Oh, the description does say that. :downs: Right then. I was just looking at the stats!

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Im currently decking out my hippie van with cargo containers and I want to put a ramming frame on the front but I ran out of batteries for the welder.
I found a portable generator in a garage, is there a way I can use it to recharge the welder?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Mantari posted:

Im currently decking out my hippie van with cargo containers and I want to put a ramming frame on the front but I ran out of batteries for the welder.
I found a portable generator in a garage, is there a way I can use it to recharge the welder?

I believe that the generator is treated like a high throughput alternator; so you would need to install it over your engine, have a rechargeable battery mod for your welder, and a recharging station on your car.

ducttape fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 12, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've never seen a generator in game, but yes, for some reason they are considered vehicle parts and have to be attached to a vehicle and you'd need a recharging station in the vehicle and mod on your welder.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There's a portable generator vehicle spawn which is a small engine/tank, the 7.5kw generator (alternator), and a battery. Shows up in garages.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
With default settings in experimental, is it possible to *create* a basement in a building? or if you want that, do you need to be smart enough to just pick a location that already has one? (oops)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There's nothing stopping you from creating a basement, as long as you have a jackhammer, access to food and water, and lots of patience.

Oh you meant like without any in-game elbow grease - the second thing then.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
A sufficiently high Construction skill and the right tools should allow you to dig stairs downward, and once you're down there you can excavate to your heart's content. You'll probably need to tear up the floor before it'll let you dig, though.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I wasn't asking for a no-effort approach. It just wasn't clear what's supported at this stage of the game/engine- some links made it sound like maybe yes, but that stairs aren't currently manufacturable so you need to be careful about getting back out, etc.

I shoul dhave asked this in the first one but...is there any way (any tool that speeds it, et cetera) to get thread faster than the one hour per for disassembling a rag? The resource angle is easy but an hour is pretty brutal if you need a fair bit of thread.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Disassemble rope, such as the kind you get from smashing a residential window.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Smashing windows, or closing curtains and then and pulling them down (this is quieter), will give you a long string. Removing seatbelts from cars will give you a short rope.

Both can be disassembled to get thread.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Smashing windows, or closing curtains and then and pulling them down (this is quieter), will give you a long string. Removing seatbelts from cars will give you a short rope.

Both can be disassembled to get thread.

Whoa, ok. I didn't know you'd get rope from seatbelts, that's great.

Thanks for both for the tips - I forgot string would more quickly disassemble like that. Closing the curtains and e)xamining them definitely works well.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Breaking both your arms for the first time is a real bitch. I've spent basically a week real time hanging out at my ranch waiting for them to heal (one so far) but it's Weirdly relaxing game play as I just Potter about trying to find things to do.

Anyone know how to get rid of the high thirst/high metabolism? I sadly have both and they're taking up way too much of my time

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Were they starting traits, or mutations? If mutations you can Purifier them, but if you started with them the only way is getting a lucky mutation that overwrites it, which is difficult. Most of the time it will just make that trait more severe.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 13, 2016

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Were they starting traits, or mutations? If mutations you can Purifier them, but if you started with them the only way is getting a lucky mutation that overwrites it, which is difficult. Most of the time it will just make that trait more severe.

high metabolism was a starting trait but the thirst one is a mutation. Thanks for the info

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Is it possible to change which mods are active in an ongoing game? My character's pretty tough now so I was thinking I'd throw in Fast and Tough Zombies to keep things interesting a bit longer.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes, you need to edit the world file.
Note that this might break things in some cases, and some mods might not apply properly to already-spawned things (so drive a long way).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Those particular mods seem like they have a good chance of working because they affect zombie stats and not much (anything?) else. Maybe already spawned zombies won't get the extra HP, depends on game internals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alright cool, I'll have a poke around and see if I can get that sorted!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Seems legit, Cataclysm.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

Seems legit, Cataclysm.

There's surviving, and then there's living

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

83% is unacceptably low

can you drink straight out of the tank or do you need to siphon it into a bottle?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Into a shot glass, surely.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why would you shoot single malt you barbarian

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The apocalypse is hard times.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oh god, don't. Now they'll introduce 4 different rates of fluid intake. You'll be accidentally sniffing, adding a few drops of swamp water, and appreciating the fine aromas of gas station vodka while a brute stomps your face.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

83% is unacceptably low

can you drink straight out of the tank or do you need to siphon it into a bottle?

Both work. It treats siphoning like you've got the total contents too drink, pour, or if you're a monster, spill on the ground.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

First time playing a solely melee (other than grenades) character. Got lucky and found almost every 10 Fabrication book in the first bookstore (except the Samurai one, sadly), so I can make virtually any weapon. What are your favorite melee weapons?

Currently throwing around a fuckhuge Zewihander which is hilarious, but wanted other opinions. What other weapons are decent?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Combat Chainsaw :unsmigghh:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Katana.

Of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, I often hear that katanas are by far the best option, but it's the one book I don't have yet. :(

Making due with a broadsword now. Doesn't have the Brutal Strike option like the Zwiehander, but it's so much faster for not much less damage that it's hard to pass up.