Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

The Toronto Public Library has a wealth of Criterions and even has a large portion of them available for free screening, too.

Will they let me shrinkwrap them and put them on my shelf for my Instagram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Phoenix Public Library has a great selection, it's how I got into them in the first place. They don't do bluray, but there's a good chunk only available on DVD anyway.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Phoenix Public Library has a great selection, it's how I got into them in the first place. They don't do bluray, but there's a good chunk only available on DVD anyway.

Same, local libraries and thrift stores are great for Criterions. Mine has old and new pressings available and I found Under the Volcano for $2 at a local Goodwill.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

zandert33 posted:

Check your public library. Many have tons of Criterions to borrow, and they're free.

Doubt you'll find much Troma there though.
If you're looking for a legit but free way to watch Troma films, they have a whole shitload of their stuff available for free on their youtube channel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Coming in late to the Solaris convo but it's not only the best Tarkovsky film I've seen so far, it's also my pick for "best science fiction film ever."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Coming in late to the Solaris convo but it's not only the best Tarkovsky film I've seen so far, it's also my pick for "best science fiction film ever."

This is basically how I feel about Stalker.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Stalker is really close- I think I favor Solaris because I saw it first.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy birthday, Kirk Douglas!

You are awesome in Paths of Glory and Ace in the Hole.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

If not for 2001 (and maybe Her) I would totally agree with this.

I only watched Stalker this year and for some reason really didn't dig it like I was hoping. Starting to feel like Tark just isn't my personal thing because Solaris is the only one I actually adore, despite appreciating the ones I've seen (everything up to Stalker) objectively.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Happy birthday, Kirk Douglas!

You are awesome in Paths of Glory and Ace in the Hole.

Holy poo poo, dude's 100.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Spatulater bro! posted:

Holy poo poo, dude's 100.

May he live 100 more

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently Kirk Douglas revealed in his autobiography that he seduced an anti-Semite woman just so he could shout "You just got hosed by a Jew!" during climax.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently Kirk Douglas revealed in his autobiography that he seduced an anti-Semite woman just so he could shout "You just got hosed by a Jew!" during climax.

Kirk Douglas is my hero.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

That is the best story I've heard all day.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Like, who here hasn't

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kirk Douglas' wife persuaded him and Stanley Kubrick to attend group therapy sessions to get over their increasingly poor working relationship during the making of Spartacus.

(Also, the therapist recommended that Kubrick read Arthur Schnitzler's Traumnovelle, which was the basis for Eyes Wide Shut)

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Ace In The Hole. :pervert:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lmao

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So my ranking of this Pearls of the Czech New Wave box set goes a little something like this:

1) Daisies
2) A Report on the Party and Guests / Return of the Prodigal Son / The Joke
3) Pearls of the Deep
4) Capricious Summer

I dug 'em all, which is dope. It's nice having this and the When Horror Came to Shochiku box, and it's got me interested in more blind buys from the Eclipse series, 'specially "movement" based sets so I get a grab bag of different auteurs.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

It's like the opposite of that Curb episode

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The long-awaited The Passion of Joan of Arc Blu-Ray is probably coming soon.

Turner Classic Movies aired it last night and it was the new Gaumont restoration, with the Voices of Light score. The new restoration is up on Filmstruck, but it's totally silent, as if they hadn't finished re-syncing the score yet.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

no music, never music

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Obviously that's so you can fire up Loveless and see if it syncs up

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/808437508438687744

I like it. :3:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The interior covers definitely make the box cover better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God if that doesn't get a UK release i'ma poo poo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

God if that doesn't get a UK release i'ma poo poo.

It should. The first two are from Warner, Midnight is from Sony. They've already released several Warner titles in the UK and Sony is their distributor.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The slipcase art is all right but LOL at the other 3

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Time Dissolver posted:

The slipcase art is all right but LOL at the other 3

They seem fine to me? It's hard to think of a more appropriate way to express these movies than big shots of the actors, since that's really what the movies are. The faux paint effect is cool.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished part 2 of the Raymond Bernard Les Miserables. My only exposure before was the recent movie and I must say, this version of Jean Valjean makes Hugh Jackman's version look like PeeWee Herman. Harry Baur's Valjean is tough as hell.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 14, 2016

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

The long-awaited The Passion of Joan of Arc Blu-Ray is probably coming soon.

Turner Classic Movies aired it last night and it was the new Gaumont restoration, with the Voices of Light score. The new restoration is up on Filmstruck, but it's totally silent, as if they hadn't finished re-syncing the score yet.

:vince::holymoley:

Having the Voices of Light track is make or break for me, it's why I never got the Masters of Cinema release. Really hope this happens soon, this is probably my favorite movie of all time and I've been dying for an HD release with Einhorn's score.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
How do you guys feel about Roma?

I love '8 1/2' and 'La Dolce Vita' but 'Satyricon' and 'Amarcord' didn't really do much for me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I haven't seen Roma, but you didn't mention La Strada. It comes from Fellini's neo-realist roots and is a great film.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

FalsePriest posted:

How do you guys feel about Roma?

I love '8 1/2' and 'La Dolce Vita' but 'Satyricon' and 'Amarcord' didn't really do much for me.

Then i say avoid.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

blue squares posted:

I haven't seen Roma, but you didn't mention La Strada. It comes from Fellini's neo-realist roots and is a great film.

I haven't seen 'La Strada' yet but it's on my list.

El Graplurado posted:

Then i say avoid.

Ok, thats kinda what I was thinking, I think I wanted to like those movies way more than I did and 'Roma' kinda seems along the same line.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm one of the outliers who really likes Amarcord, but it's kind of an open secret that his later movies are pretty, overbearing messes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

March releases:

45 Years
Canoa
Multiple Maniacs
Being There
Blow-Up

So far...

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just watched Being There a few months ago. Very pertinent now. The current Blu ray seemed to have a slightly soft picture.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Egbert Souse posted:

March releases:

45 Years
Canoa
Multiple Maniacs
Being There
Blow-Up

So far...

Ah, I figured with the Janus re-release of Tampopo, plus the poster being for sale on their shop, that it would be getting a release in March. Eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh poo poo Being There. Day one purchase for me.