Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From Ces' Medium Large Blog:

Ted Forth’s Recipe for Holiday Meat Topiaries

1. Google recipe for meatballs. Write down those instructions and ingredients.

2. Roll large meatball for the base. Realize you rolled it too large and used up half the ground beef. Consider making a Meat Bowling Ball instead. Stick three fingers into it. Be mildly disturbed by how pleasurable that is. Understand you’ve made a terrible mistake when your partner catches you rolling a strike in the hallway with the carpet you kept promising to vacuum the last four months. Let cat or dog lick off dust.

3. Roll middle meatball for torso (if opting to make Meat Snowmen) or to allow twisting movement should you want to create the topiaries from The Shining (in which case make sure to place Lego Minifies nearby as victims).

4. Place third, smallest meatball on top. Wonder how you are going to get all three meatballs to stay connected. Jam a toothpick through the top meatball, making a screaming noise as you do while spraying marinara sauce from the hole because somehow it’s taken you seven hours to reach this point in the preparation and you’ve lost your mind.

5. Use any leftover meat to make a meat ring around your finger. Pretend you’ve married Lord Sausage, the character from the classic Rankin-Bass special Rudolph and Frosty’s Chicago Layover that everyone keeps telling you never aired and in fact never existed.

6. Watch as no one eats your meat topiaries because you forgot to cook them. Take the tray into your bedroom, give each a little monocle by bending paper clips, and pretend to lecture high society on your bed as you enjoy your holiday mix of Egg Nog and Jägermeister called “Jäg Nog.”

:3: ...enjoy your holiday mix of Egg Nog and Jägermeister called “Jäg Nog.”...I love his humor. :3:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's important to set realistic goals for yourself. Ballard Street.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 30, 1994)

. . .

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

This story line really pisses me off. Shesh Lynn, let him have his toy. It's his little mid-life crisis. You can afford it and it makes him happy. Someone in this relationship deserves to be happy.

gently caress, she reminds me of my mother-in-law...

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Lowen SoDium posted:

This story line really pisses me off. Shesh Lynn, let him have his toy. It's his little mid-life crisis. You can afford it and it makes him happy. Someone in this relationship deserves to be happy.

gently caress, she reminds me of my mother-in-law...

Of course, on the flip side, the other cliché consequence of a mid-life crisis is an affair and, well.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

gleebster posted:

Scots are, supposedly, close with their money, that is to say, tightfisted, stingy, mean, etc.
See: https://books.google.com/books?id=L...oney%22&f=false
That makes sense. I've heard "close" used that way, but not often. Maybe it was more common back then.

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

Didn't he clean out the safe? Won't they notice that it's gone? Or is he going to leave all that stuff there and try to go back to his life?

F Minus

That dog. :( He's just doing the best he can.

Mary Worth

Who cares? You're single, he's single, you're adults. Go.

Rex Morgan MD

This whole storyline is just a psa, isn't it?

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

"Party on, Professor."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:golfclap: This didn't get the love it deserves.

Or this!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

For the life of me, I never could enjoy this cartoon. I always wanted someone sensible in there to bitch slap those kids.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I heart bacon posted:

For the life of me, I never could enjoy this cartoon. I always wanted someone sensible in there to bitch slap those kids.

I feel like you were missing the point.

Incidentally, this is all on topic because The Boondocks is a newspaper strip! Pretty remarkable, because there's not many successful adaptions of those, aside from like, Garfield.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Dilbert animated cartoon, but I guess I was a kid and didn't realize how terrible it was.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was set during the much more tolerable nerd-surreal stage rather than the modern nerd-superiority.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

WickedHate posted:

I feel like you were missing the point.

Somehow I sensed that someone would post something like this. What point was I missing? What deep point was going on here?

WickedHate posted:

is a newspaper strip!

Oh, so it's ummm.... good... now?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I heart bacon posted:

Somehow I sensed that someone would post something like this. What point was I missing? What deep point was going on here?

You don't have to be politically attuned to be invested in the messages of the show, but if your complaint is "the kid's are annoying" you're not paying attention to the right things. You're not supposed to take Riley seriously.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

goatface posted:

It was set during the much more tolerable nerd-surreal stage rather than the modern nerd-superiority.

IIRC Adams was also not given that much input over the show which probably helped.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

As far as I can tell this has nothing to do with the second half.

...Which in my opinion, does not require translation.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

IIRC Adams was also not given that much input over the show which probably helped.

I hoped as much.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, from watching it on Hulu a few years back, I'd say the Dilbert cartoon is decent. A little bland, but not too bad. Better than any of the Garfield cartoons, at least. Or Baby Blues (probably).

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Geez, the level of detail for a panel of nothing but a key going into a lock really drives home how far the average art quality in comic strips has fallen.

Batman and Robin

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Am I misremembering Bizarro as being good? I don't remember it always being full of "These people are bad because they are doing an inconsequential thing I don't like"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Batman and Robin

So back then Batman was a dope who only survived run-ins with criminals because they came up with complicated reasons to keep him alive. I like it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Some Guy TT posted:

So back then Batman was a dope who only survived run-ins with criminals because they came up with complicated reasons to keep him alive. I like it.

That's a pretty common trope in any heroic action genre.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

*snores gently*

The Amazing Spider-Man

Presumably this is the part where Ronan sees MJ and falls in love and kidnaps her away to become his... well, whatever the equivalent of "Queen" is in the Accusing business.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 17, 1951)

Nancy (January 1, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (August 31, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (September 29, 1923)

Lil' Abner (May 29, 1937)

Barney Google (September 30, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 30, 1933)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Uh oh, will MJ survive Ronan's Cosmic Fart?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It'd be a lot easier to sympathize with Wash Tubbs' situation if he weren't such a dumb-rear end.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I heart bacon posted:

Every Boondocks episode I saw had some funny gags but horrible comedic timing throughout.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (January 1, 1944)

it's like this is the only strip gilchrist ever read of old nancy before writing new nancy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Woebin posted:

Isn't this literally a joke from Life of Brian?
The joke in Life is that he opens the window completely naked and there's a huge crowd there cheering for him after he's had sex.

Here it's just Joseph being sarcastic about how teenagers sleep in a lot.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
what?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/229739.stm posted:

Geoff Smith, 37, beat the European record of 101 days - set by his mother - at midnight on Monday.

"When his mother did it, he was seven years. He's now 37 and for last 30 years it's been his ambition to go and bury himself in a box," he said.

He has a few small luxuries in his "coffin" - a television, a personal stereo and a little plastic Christmas tree.

Speaking through an air tube inserted in the box, he said: "I am very pleased to have reached this day. My mother would be proud of me."

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (October, 1915)

Bluey!

Guess If They Are Married! (August, 1915, click for big)

Illustrated Comical Joke (1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (February, 1916)

The Gay Thirties (March, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (February, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (August, 1940)

Tweedy (September, 1956, click for big)

Jaf (1969)

Feiffer (1970, click for big)

This one hurts. :sad:

A rare Sunday Andy Capp (November, 1970, click for big)

Wee Pals (December, 1970, click for big)

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Slammy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 10, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (September, 2009, click for big)

Why on earth did he rehire you???

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

I had this Chipmunks record (actual record) album as a kid with that "On the Road Again" song on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkSa17TqljM

Mine was old enough not to include "Boot Scootin' Boogie."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Shugojin posted:

He had more control then you probably think.

Here's some 'behind the scenes' stuff from the DVD pack. Don't ask how I got these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAx93enoxT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BXBLYA0ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtoNSNw9iw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hnz1rRI0DY

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

WickedHate posted:

That's a pretty common trope in any heroic action genre.

Oh sure. But the Batman we know today is this ultimate bad-rear end who can kill Superman just by being super-duper smart. It's always funny looking at these older versions who are just so incredibly mortal by comparison. Especially since Bob Kane always talks about the character as if he's had a single unified consistent interpretation ever since the thirties.

quote:

Dilbert chat

OK, so at the risk of whipping up a hornet's next...why exactly is it so inconceivable that Scott Adams can be a douchebag yet also create something that is funny and good? Dilbert is hardly perfect but hell, neither is Calvin and Hobbes. Even if it's lapsed into mediocrity in recent years Dilbert does manage to be consistently funny, especially compared to the competition these days. Dilbert and Bizarro both strike me, in this thread anyway, as being comics people try really hard to hate even when it requires being willfully dense as to the intended punchline.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Some Guy TT posted:

OK, so at the risk of whipping up a hornet's next...why exactly is it so inconceivable that Scott Adams can be a douchebag yet also create something that is funny and good? Dilbert is hardly perfect but hell, neither is Calvin and Hobbes. Even if it's lapsed into mediocrity in recent years Dilbert does manage to be consistently funny, especially compared to the competition these days. Dilbert and Bizarro both strike me, in this thread anyway, as being comics people try really hard to hate even when it requires being willfully dense as to the intended punchline.

As someone who read Dilbert books as a little kid, I would say it hasn't been funny or good for a while. When the Recession hit in 2008, the strip's theme took a hard left turn from "stuff at work can be kinda silly" to "EVERYTHING YOU DO IS A WORTHLESS WASTE OF TIME!! AAAAAHH!"

See if you can spot the difference:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Dr. Dos posted:

Am I misremembering Bizarro as being good? I don't remember it always being full of "These people are bad because they are doing an inconsequential thing I don't like"
No, it did used to be good. There was a time when it was just general surrealist humor. These days it's just smug hipster superiority with the occasional "LGBT people sure are funny, amirite?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Optimism in general took a pretty big kick in the nuts after the Great Recession, so I'm not really following that Adams is a worse writer for acknowledging that. I mean it probably has a lot to do with why he's so insufferable now- the guy was preaching doom and gloom when everyone else doubled down on hope and change, and the Obama years have vindicated his position. Adams' blog posts were regularly featured on political websites for most of the election because he was one of the few people who got it. Now granted Adams was probably right by accident but when the entire political professional class managed to be wrong on purpose...yeah, I just don't see Adams is supposed to come out worse for that.

Mind, I'm well aware of the stupid stuff like that theory where gravity is all matter doubling, or the Dilbert shaped house he lives in. I just don't remember anybody being all that harsh on him until his political opinions started to go against the popular grain.

• Locked thread