Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

StoryTime posted:

This was my favorite of the runners up!

Hey, thanks for saying so. And thanks to mad for prompting this whole thing, of course. I definitely don't have time to start anything before this weekend, but I'm about a billion times more likely to get this off the ground now that I know I'm not the only one who wants to see it happen. Will report back when there's something that responds to attempts at interaction, someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd recommend QWEASD or ASDZXC over that scheme. Stretching across three rows might make sense from a hand-eye coordination standpoint but sticking to two is easier on your fingers and still intuitive enough.

Well if the numbers are the attack options, it can be configurable :)

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd recommend QWEASD or ASDZXC over that scheme. Stretching across three rows might make sense from a hand-eye coordination standpoint but sticking to two is easier on your fingers and still intuitive enough.

I've been considering that too. I was leaning towards WEADZX in case I decide to use S as a rest/reload, but I intend to play with all of them. I want to get rebinding in there as an eventual feature.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tiramisu posted:

I've been considering that too. I was leaning towards WEADZX in case I decide to use S as a rest/reload, but I intend to play with all of them. I want to get rebinding in there as an eventual feature.

I was going to suggest putting rest on R but then again that might be a bad idea if your game also involves guns and ammo.

Maybe Z on a QWEASD layout, as long as movement's more common than standing still.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have you played Race the Sun? Completely different genre, it's an "infinite runner" where you fly a solar-powered airplane and have to chase after the setting sun, lest you run out of power and crash.

Sounds like you should have some kind of temperature meter, and if you get too hot or cold then you start taking damage.

Also reminds me of One-Way Heroics of course.

Yasss.

I'm still in the spitballing phase (and will continue to be in the near future, as well as forever), but rather than have a hunger clock or even have the sun act as a similar device--where if it runs down, you die--I'm thinking of making it more dreary but open to possibility. Now, mechanically, this will probably change, assuming I ever acquire the skill to implement it, but the idea is that Mercury is a place you travel on an overmap and you can dive into mines to plunder resources, but also to escape an oncoming sun. (In my loser-drifter roguelike idea, the sun would literally just knock you out--you can only operate at night--and so you have no control over yourself for the whole day, so who knows where you'd end up, or what precious materials you'd lose.)

Anyway, if you hunker down to avoid the sun, you basically go into cryosleep but the system doesn't work too well in this universe. You might have brain damage or sleep for quite some time. So the result isn't death, but a loss of skill, or of a large amount of time--and the abandoned equipment and supplies decays in this time.

StoryTime posted:

If you're looking for inspiration about a depleted and destitute planet, read Gene Wolfe's "The Book of the New Sun".

PleasingFungus posted:

Alternately, could read some Vance's Dying Earth stories, which are a lot more light-hearted.

I shall read both of these, thanks! At the very least, I'll complete the roguelike tutorial and have something generic to show for it, some books I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, I figure I'm ahead of the game. So far I'm mostly inspired by portions of I, Robot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tiramisu posted:

Another possibility is to use up/down/left/right, but make unmodified left/right go up-left and up-right, while holding shift makes them go down-left and down-right (or if you orient your hexes the other way, use normal and modified up/down instead). Or do it with WASD.

I think this is probably something where you'll need to experiment with a lot of different methods, and definitely make your keybindings configurable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dream Quest is live on steam!

.... What is this, exactly? I saw it recced in this thread ages back, and remembered to keep an eye out for it, but .... why?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

StrixNebulosa posted:

.... What is this, exactly? I saw it recced in this thread ages back, and remembered to keep an eye out for it, but .... why?
I'm pretty sure there was an online version of this once, because I vaguely recall playing it and hating it despite it having all the elements that should make me love it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
About drat time.

Finally, I can share the best game with the worst art, on Steam. It chafed at first, but now those ugly stick figures have some charm. :unsmith:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

StrixNebulosa posted:

best game ever. or at least my all time favourite roguelite (probably).

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Last seen a year ago in a final, hazy Alpha form....but "almost" seen during ARRP 2016---Dungeons of Everchange returns with a big update for, as it happens, Actually A Few More Alphas before it solidifies enough to reach Beta.

http://www.darkgnosis.com/blog/

There's still quite a large heap of jank, but this is one of the most ambitious Broguelikes of the entire lot and that claim will only deepen as time rolls on if a solid dev pace can indeed happen.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Last seen a year ago in a final, hazy Alpha form....but "almost" seen during ARRP 2016---Dungeons of Everchange returns with a big update for, as it happens, Actually A Few More Alphas before it solidifies enough to reach Beta.

http://www.darkgnosis.com/blog/

There's still quite a large heap of jank, but this is one of the most ambitious Broguelikes of the entire lot and that claim will only deepen as time rolls on if a solid dev pace can indeed happen.

Man that looks nice. Great presentation.

Are there any other brogulikes that are worth checking out?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What is a broguelike?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

rt4 posted:

What is a broguelike?

A game that's like Brogue, I assume.

I haven't really played Brogue for more than about five minutes, so someone else would be better suited to give you the details, but all of your character is in your gear and how you use it. It also has very pretty ASCII.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh you mean an ASCII Stalker-like

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Well played my 360 for the first time in a long long time and got totally into a rogue like I forgot about - Epic Loot. It has been renamed to Cused Loot apparently. Really excellent game. Ported to iPad. I'm not sure if it is elsewhere. Worth a look.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

When I read the word "Broguelike" I immediately pictured an ascii art based open world adventure where you have to search a ruined city for the best baked chicken recipes and gather top notch gym equipment so that you can make the sickest gains over of all of your other apocalypse surviving bros.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

deathbagel posted:

When I read the word "Broguelike" I immediately pictured an ascii art based open world adventure where you have to search a ruined city for the best baked chicken recipes and gather top notch gym equipment so that you can make the sickest gains over of all of your other apocalypse surviving bros.

Is it too late, madjack???

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

deathbagel posted:

eh, i picture more of a traditional roguelike. you start at ground level and ascend each level of a nightclub, finding bits of paper with PUA tips on them and quaffing from random cups to ID their effects. you do start out with a free magic wand, but it's cursed and only holds one charge

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also tends to go off early, leaving you feeling embarrassed and weak.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

deathbagel posted:

Chakan posted:

Is it too late, madjack???

This... this was not in the prophecy!

No Gains Sicker, Best Broguelike 2016. This is why December exists.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

This... this was not in the prophecy!

No Gains Sicker, Best Broguelike 2016. This is why December exists.

You mean The Bro-phecy which was a sacred foretelling of the end times by our lord and savior Saint Rippetoe. And he said unto us "When the land upturns and and the skies crash to the ground... only the swole shall survive."

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

And I'm off and, uh, crawling.

GameMaker is confusing and having to think about how tiles and sprites work and resolutions and stuff is very unlike anything I've really worried about before.
But the end result is I have a room, and a guy in the room, and he can move around the room but not through walls. It's a start!

Going to add a proper grid based movement system, work on creating an enemy to fight with some basic you-move-they-move ai, and try and get a bump for death combat system going next.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

GameMaker is confusing and having to think about how tiles and sprites work and resolutions and stuff is very unlike anything I've really worried about before.
But the end result is I have a room, and a guy in the room, and he can move around the room but not through walls. It's a start!

Going to add a proper grid based movement system, work on creating an enemy to fight with some basic you-move-they-move ai, and try and get a bump for death combat system going next.
You have taken the first step! :toot:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Got you down in the spreadsheet! So far you're winning by default :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Awesome! So far I've...implemented a lovely version of Breakout. :sweatdrop: It's a lot easier to just do a couple of the videos from the Unity course I'm working my way through, than it is to actually start on the game I want to make.

On the plus side, I think at this point I do have all of the knowledge I need to implement the first prototype.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just a reminder to all contestants that this tutorial exists and is pretty good: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/2d-roguelike-tutorial

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

madjackmcmad posted:

:black101:Rogue Scholar 2016: Winter is Coding:black101:

spider wisdom & Angryhead | Escape from Aeon (:h:Unormal Choice:h:)
Unormal's words: "Of all the great descriptions, it was simply the one that sounded like I was most likely to pop the cartridge in and play!" Can't beat that. I like what the two of you have put together in the links you shared and I agree that you're on the road to something solid. Try making a playable where Unormal smiles warmly when he dies.

Unormal posted:

Let me know via e-mail to unormal@gmail.com what sprite pack you'd like (or other dev tool of similar value)!

Oh maaan, this is wild. Thanks guys. This was a great way to end what's been a lovely week. :kiddo: Angryhead and I are on a brief break until this Sunday when we'll get back to it in full swing. I've been slowing reworking some UI stuff in the meantime.

I'll be in touch re: tileset or other dev tool shortly!

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009
So, I've got text files being read, and now I'm working on filtering. Once I get filtered text loaded into an array or dictionary then I can start assigning weird values to them.

Also, I am the artist formerly known as "bent over for you bb" for reference, for whoever is updating the spreadsheet.

I'll post a screenshot once I've got it naming things. Is anyone doing Ludum Dare? I'm not super excited about the theme.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

colonp posted:

Man that looks nice. Great presentation.

Are there any other brogulikes that are worth checking out?

The hilarity since in the thread is the Secret Truth, pray to it alone coming to fruition for deliverance unto greatness~!

But otherwise, it is a bit of a tricky one to pin down as it isn't so obvious and uniform a thing---there are a few beyond the whole Pixel Dungeon clan:

Forays into Norrendrin: http://forays.github.io/ Maximum bias in favor of this, each update is random/good as all hell though tends to be quite largely spaced in time---having Been Awhile Now as it so happens, cross thy fingers and toes with hope in your heart~

The Ground Gives Way: http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/ Also maximum bias in favor, just because---absolute modern classic of a mega project of a sort.

Professional Adventurers League: http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Professional_Adventurers_League Until we get SmashTV RL---this and his prior QuickHack will do it.

Dungeon Mercenary: http://www.schplaf.org/hgames/index.html Last seen actually making it to ARRP 2016, it is well on the way towards punching around with the rest as there's already been a fair bit indeed accomplished within it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deathbagel posted:

You mean The Bro-phecy which was a sacred foretelling of the end times by our lord and savior Saint Rippetoe. And he said unto us "When the land upturns and and the skies crash to the ground... only the swole shall survive."

This reminds me of this amazing bodybuilding subreddit I found once called "Swole Acceptance" where everybody talks to each other like they're Viking warriors. I think whoever makes this game could get a lot of inspiration from there.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I received the sprite sheets, and after jumping through a couple of hoops, Unity is using them in a more or less reasonable manner:

That's what the sprite import tool looks like. It's actually pretty good at figuring out what's a sprite and what isn't. The entire thing is then converted into something Unity calls a 'Sprite Atlas'.
It took a somewhat longer while to figure out how to get programmatic access to the sprites. Once that was solved, and I actually managed to hit the viewable part of the screen with my rendering attempts, the project currently looks like this:

The first hurdle is now passed: I'm capable of programmatically generating a single large texture by copying tiles from a sprite sheet, as opposed to modeling every tile as a separate game object. The latter seemed such a patently terrible approach, that I didn't even want to find out how it would run.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

This reminds me of this amazing bodybuilding subreddit I found once called "Swole Acceptance" where everybody talks to each other like they're Viking warriors. I think whoever makes this game could get a lot of inspiration from there.

This is amazing.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

StoryTime posted:

I received the sprite sheets, and after jumping through a couple of hoops, Unity is using them in a more or less reasonable manner:

That's what the sprite import tool looks like. It's actually pretty good at figuring out what's a sprite and what isn't. The entire thing is then converted into something Unity calls a 'Sprite Atlas'.
It took a somewhat longer while to figure out how to get programmatic access to the sprites. Once that was solved, and I actually managed to hit the viewable part of the screen with my rendering attempts, the project currently looks like this:

The first hurdle is now passed: I'm capable of programmatically generating a single large texture by copying tiles from a sprite sheet, as opposed to modeling every tile as a separate game object. The latter seemed such a patently terrible approach, that I didn't even want to find out how it would run.

To be honest you're prematurely optimizing. You'd find a gameobject per sprite is actually just fine in most cases. You are almost certainly going to get worse performance rendering your own texture. Nice work, though!

You might want to use a big single mesh for the floor and wall layers, but otherwise go nuts with GameObjects.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2016

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Unormal posted:

You might want to use a big single mesh for the floor and wall layers, but otherwise go nuts with GameObjects.

Yes, this is the idea: use a large (well currently 480 x 144) pre-rendered texture for the static dungeon features, separate GameObjects for the things that actually move.

Good to know that having a bunch of sprites won't become a problem that easily. Do you have any guess as to when the problems would start, if I'm just panning the camera across a pile of non-moving sprites? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StoryTime posted:

Yes, this is the idea: use a large (well currently 480 x 144) pre-rendered texture for the static dungeon features, separate GameObjects for the things that actually move.

Good to know that having a bunch of sprites won't become a problem that easily. Do you have any guess as to when the problems would start, if I'm just panning the camera across a pile of non-moving sprites? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?

Depends on what you're doing and how well it's implemented, but as a general rule, do not optimize code until that code is demonstrably problematic. Usually it's fine; computers are fast. Spare your energy for things that are inherently difficult instead of pre-emptively making difficulties for yourself.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
All the advice about not worrying about optimal code is true. It only matters if performance is becoming a problem, and for a roguelike running on a modern computer it's pretty unlikely to become a big deal unless you write something monstrously inefficient. There's no need to desperately fight for every bit or CPU cycle right now, and if you keep it up you'll burn out before you get anywhere.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I'm aware of these things. If anything, I'm asking about the ballpark limitations of various systems, so that I can avoid trying them myself out of sheer curiosity!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StoryTime posted:

I'm aware of these things. If anything, I'm asking about the ballpark limitations of various systems, so that I can avoid trying them myself out of sheer curiosity!

The problem is that it's so heavily dependent on what you're doing and how exactly you're doing it that it's impossible to give a remotely accurate ballpark estimate.

But to give you some vague sense of scale, the last time I tried making a roguelike I did something like a 150x60 display, or something like that, where every tile was individually software-rendered. That's 9000 separate draw calls with zero hardware acceleration, just calling the "drawText()" method of whatever widget library I was using. It was noticeably a little laggy, but still playable. And this was something like five years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Unity really wants you to make GameObjects. GameObjects are what it does. If you're thinking, "Maybe I shouldn't solve this problem by making GameObjects," buddy, I have some news for you.

If it breaks later you can figure out how to unfuck it then.