Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Which of Brandenburg or Teutonic Order is a more fun country for forming Prussia these days? I'm leaning towards TO because I have so little experience with theocracies. Does Rights of Man add anything interesting for them?

I would say Brandenburg, You get better events and gets to expand inside the HRE without worrying about Austria, just Ally them and keep them happy. And as long as Poland and Austria don't rival each other, you can get both as Allies, so you hardly have to worry about getting attacked yourself, while you expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

About to unlock Imperialism in my WC attempt:

I've still got a ton of land left but I think it's looking good.

Guess now that I won't need claims I'm gonna have to focus on stealing maps, since I need to reveal America and all the islands. That's going to be a pain.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RabidWeasel posted:

If you get bigger allies it actually makes the Ottomans leave you alone which means waiting decades to get enough favour to start a war, or you can do the whiny baby method of turning off Cossacks to make alliances into an I win button again.

Can't you promise land (and then not give any)?

Elman posted:

About to unlock Imperialism in my WC attempt:

I've still got a ton of land left but I think it's looking good.

Remember that it's much, much cheaper in terms of warscore to take colonial subjects' land while they're still subjects than if they're independent!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PleasingFungus posted:

In my experience for some insane reason nobody wants any Ottoman territory in spite of them being hated rivals.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PleasingFungus posted:

Yes but they'll hate your guts.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Also you'll get a -1000 modifier for calling in anyone else with a promise of land for a while.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been messing around with Byzantium and have found that Ottomans will almost always declare on Albania early on despite Albania almost always getting allied by Hungary. So in a subsequent attempt I made friendly with Albania and then offered them an Alliance right after Ottomans war dec'd; then you get the call to arms and suddenly you have Albania and Hungary on your side. This seemed to be working really well, we had sieged down all of the Ottomans provinces on our side of the strait but then Hungary decided to gently caress off and go home all of a sudden instead of crossing the strait. They were still in the war and weren't in any other war, they just stopped engaging. I'm hoping to try again and make this work for maybe an early-game Byz core retrieval

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as Ottomans, I grabbed a couple Iraqi cores from QQ and released Iraq as a vassal. A huge Iraqi Separatist rebellion proceeded to break out in QQ and Iraq has now regained most of its cores through defection, raising Liberty Desire to 100. It seems like Liberty Desire from defections decays super slowly. Is there anything I can do other than slap Iraq down if it rebels and slowly wait for it to lose all of this Liberty Desire?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as Ottomans, I grabbed a couple Iraqi cores from QQ and released Iraq as a vassal. A huge Iraqi Separatist rebellion proceeded to break out in QQ and Iraq has now regained most of its cores through defection, raising Liberty Desire to 100. It seems like Liberty Desire from defections decays super slowly. Is there anything I can do other than slap Iraq down if it rebels and slowly wait for it to lose all of this Liberty Desire?

Release it from vassalage, annex then re-release as a vassal.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

uPen posted:

Release it from vassalage, annex then re-release as a vassal.

Will releasing them as a vassal shed any AE or will I be stuck with whatever I get from the annexation? Not a huge deal if I get AE over in that part of the world, just curious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was playing an Ethiopia game last night, and I realized that there are way too many flavor events where you have a choice between some weak rear end bonus for a decade or two (usually at the cost of monarch points or something) and a stability boost. I think these really need to be rebalanced.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Remember that it's much, much cheaper in terms of warscore to take colonial subjects' land while they're still subjects than if they're independent!

If I fail I think it'll be because I didn't do this (cause I didn't have vision of the colonies, and even now in 1700 I still don't for the most part). Most of them are already independent, since I beat up Spain and England (I wanted to full annex them and get their colonies eventually). I'll try to take Portugal's colonies, and if it comes to that I guess I can just trucebreak over and over since colonies don't require coring. It sucks that I'm gonna have to take Exploration in the 1700s, though.

For now I'm gonna focus on finishing up Europe and Asia, then we'll see how much time there's left.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elman posted:

If I fail I think it'll be because I didn't do this (cause I didn't have vision of the colonies, and even now in 1700 I still don't for the most part). Most of them are already independent, since I beat up Spain and England (I wanted to full annex them and get their colonies eventually). I'll try to take Portugal's colonies, and if it comes to that I guess I can just trucebreak over and over since colonies don't require coring. It sucks that I'm gonna have to take Exploration in the 1700s, though.

For now I'm gonna focus on finishing up Europe and Asia, then we'll see how much time there's left.

Hypothetically you could just steal maps over and over instead of taking Exploration

Or you could find someone who is willing to share their maps with you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Another weird situation

Playing Byzantium, I decided to satisfy the Mamluks' request for Condottieri. No capital access, so I asked for military access and dropped off a sizable army on their shores, and then the Condottieri offer was accepted.

But Mamluks were at war with QQ, and I had no way of getting to QQ. Everyone in the region refuses to share maps with me, and my troops can't explore the terra incognita, so I had my guys kill off some rebels in Mamluks territory but this obviously wasn't enough to satisfy them so they wound up cancelling the contract a bit later

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I started a Ternate game because I like playing in that area and it is just filthy. You make so much money from everything in SE Asia.

Making +40 ducats/month while running 3 level 3 advisors in ~1670 is a new experience.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Is there a way to offer peaces to individual states, like how some states sometimes offer you reparations? I can see the "they are negotiating for their alliance" button, but no way to change it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Is there a way to offer peaces to individual states, like how some states sometimes offer you reparations? I can see the "they are negotiating for their alliance" button, but no way to change it.

click their coat of arms on the right hand side of the peace deal screen

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Anyone get this before?

Just started happening to me today, and it's getting really annoying.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

awesmoe posted:

click their coat of arms on the right hand side of the peace deal screen

And now I own Rhodes and Venice! :toot:

Also I made every sorry bastard there pay me for the privilege of getting wrecked. In keeping with "stuff Paradox games keep teaching me" the concept of war for fun and profit has suddenly clicked.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

You can dump 20 prestige for -10% liberty desire in subject interactions. If you're expanding pretty fast it shouldn't be toooo bad to keep prestige up despite doing this as the Ottos

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I had loads of prestige as the Ottos but I just constantly get the event where the clergy want money for stuff and I want to keep my faithlessness.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Very similar thing happened to me, but with Persia. Persia now has 198% liberty desire from defections alone. I thought that if I supported the rebels in Timurids, and got them to release Persia the good faith would, uh, counteract it. It did not, and now I have a full formed Persia with a grand total of like 180% liberty desire! Ack!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All this talk of Persia... Which nation is best placed to form Persia and liberate those sweet, sweet cores? I've never played in the region before.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Very similar thing happened to me, but with Persia. Persia now has 198% liberty desire from defections alone. I thought that if I supported the rebels in Timurids, and got them to release Persia the good faith would, uh, counteract it. It did not, and now I have a full formed Persia with a grand total of like 180% liberty desire! Ack!

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. The amount they get for province defections is crazy. You need to jump on Timurids ASAP or you get a big angry Persia. Luckily, unless Muscovy is knocking on your door or something, no one will support their independence and you can just wait for it to tick down/feed them prestige from your many other wars.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Another weird situation

Playing Byzantium, I decided to satisfy the Mamluks' request for Condottieri. No capital access, so I asked for military access and dropped off a sizable army on their shores, and then the Condottieri offer was accepted.

But Mamluks were at war with QQ, and I had no way of getting to QQ. Everyone in the region refuses to share maps with me, and my troops can't explore the terra incognita, so I had my guys kill off some rebels in Mamluks territory but this obviously wasn't enough to satisfy them so they wound up cancelling the contract a bit later

Haha that's great

"Do you want us to help you in your wars?"
"Yes, please!"
"Will you show us where the war is?"
"...no"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jay Rust posted:

All this talk of Persia... Which nation is best placed to form Persia and liberate those sweet, sweet cores? I've never played in the region before.

There's only three nations that form Persia without culture shifting, Ardalan (Timurid Vassal), Shirvan and Tabarestan. Tabarestan is probably the hardest one which is also why it has an achievement associated with forming Persia, so you can knock out two in one go if you really want (Shahanshah and This Is Persia!). Forming Persia from a minor is very frustrating though, mostly because you have to be Very Successful against the Timurids and take all the cores you need at once, plus the core in QQ land and click form before the Timurids eventually fall apart and Persia pops out fully formed (with all of its cores) and ready to kick your poo poo. However, if you do manage to form Persia before that then you just get a ton of free land when the rebels pop up.

And then you have no friends while bordering the Ottomans.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I don't really know, but I feel like Ottomans releasing Persia as a vassal could do a decent job; even if a ton of Persian cores suddenly get given to your vassal Persia, Ottomans is already so big and powerful that you can probably manage them easily. You probably meant form as in "take the decision to form Persia" but I feel like vassal releasing is just as good

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Haha that's great

"Do you want us to help you in your wars?"
"Yes, please!"
"Will you show us where the war is?"
"...no"

The entire Mare Nostrum map system just seems really poorly designed in general. The fact that there's no way to deal with it besides buying Mare Nostrum (unless you go Exploration) is just icing on the cake.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
It could be a decent system if they fixed all the fiddly bullshit associated with it. Your own subjects should probably be willing to share maps with you, currently you can end up with subjects you haven't even discovered. Requiring units nearby the area you want to discover is also irritating. "We tried to steal a map of India, but we were unable to since none of our soldiers were in India at the time."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does having a direct land connection to my trade companies still nullify them? Just wondering because I am conquering my way dish the East African coast and I'm not sure if I still need to leave a blocker province.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Does having a direct land connection to my trade companies still nullify them? Just wondering because I am conquering my way dish the East African coast and I'm not sure if I still need to leave a blocker province.

Nope! Just don't turn their land into States.

In other news:

Europe of course still got it within 10 years, while I'm stuck developing to try to embrace it before 1730.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elman posted:

Nope! Just don't turn their land into States.
Awesome, thank you for the quick reply! Also, lol at my auto church typo there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Yashichi posted:

It could be a decent system if they fixed all the fiddly bullshit associated with it. Your own subjects should probably be willing to share maps with you, currently you can end up with subjects you haven't even discovered. Requiring units nearby the area you want to discover is also irritating. "We tried to steal a map of India, but we were unable to since none of our soldiers were in India at the time."

This last is the most baffling decision to me. If I could send a unit even close to there, I wouldn't need the maps in the first place, I'd just have them explore it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Senor Dog posted:

Anyone get this before?

Just started happening to me today, and it's getting really annoying.

Holy poo poo do not delete both save files, I did that and lost my ottomans game.

Maybe try just deleting the back up one, though.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

algebra testes posted:

Holy poo poo do not delete both save files, I did that and lost my ottomans game.

Maybe try just deleting the back up one, though.
I've had it twice now, both times it was caused by the previous save failing and then you get that error when EU4 goes to rename it and notices it's 0 bytes (which is better than it just overwriting the backup with the failed save I guess). The only option seems to be to return to the backup because it's not gonna successfully save the game you have loaded.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Elman posted:

If I fail I think it'll be because I didn't do this (cause I didn't have vision of the colonies, and even now in 1700 I still don't for the most part).

You don't need map knowledge of colonial subjects to take them. If they don't have forts, or if they do but one of your allies has taken them, you can very happily take huge swathes of undiscovered land from your enemies' subjects. (Possibly the 'demand colonial X' option would allow you to bypass the need to take forts, even, though, it doesn't respect wargoal cost reduction & so is more expensive than Imperialism.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yashichi posted:

You don't need a unit nearby the area that you want to discover; this is a widely-spread misconception. You need to have a fully-explored series of maps connecting to the area that you want to discover, much like you would if you were using an Explorer to discover new ocean zones and coasts. It's the "fully-explored chain of maps" bit that trips people up.

I've stolen maps connecting deep into South America without ever setting foot in the new world. The idea that you need to have a unit somewhere nearby is simply false

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

You don't need a unit nearby the area that you want to discover; this is a widely-spread misconception. You need to have a fully-explored series of maps connecting to the area that you want to discover, much like you would if you were using an Explorer to discover new ocean zones and coasts. It's the "fully-explored chain of maps" bit that trips people up.

I've stolen maps connecting deep into South America without ever setting foot in the new world. The idea that you need to have a unit somewhere nearby is simply false

They should probably change the tooltip then, it says something like "cannot steal maps as no units are in an adjacent area.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

pointsofdata posted:

They should probably change the tooltip then, it says something like "cannot steal maps as no units are in an adjacent area.

I had an issue where I integrated a vassal, and so I had vision of where they explored, the Windward Isles. I eventually colonized all but one of them, with GB snatched. I wanted to colonize Cuba, but only had the one colonist from my NI, I didn't take exploration. I tried to steal maps from GB, but it gave me that error. I then required one merc, and the error went away and let me steal maps to the Carribean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I was wondering why my anti-austrian alliance with the French had just vanished without a notification and:

:v:

• Locked thread