Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm feeling kind of paralyzed WRT how to proceed with TTYmor.

At present, I have a large pile of Lua code implementing the map generator, basic movement, much of the UI, the entity-component system and a selection of components, and persistence. This is useful, but there's a long way to go before it even counts as a playable game (let alone the game I want to play), and I'm starting to run into rough edges where I designed and implemented stuff without knowing what I would actually require of it later. It's also still missing a lot of common roguelike needs like FOV calculation and pathfinding, and it would be nice to find a library to provide these.

I could use libtcod. I can't go all in on using it, since I want real tty support, but it has lots of utility functions that can be used a la carte. Problem: the lua bindings for it are completely undocumented and haven't been updated in four years. Do they even still work? Who the gently caress knows?

If I'm willing to switch languages, I could get my Clojure on. SquidLib is basically a JVM equivalent to libtcod; like libtcod it comes with its own terminal emulator, but you aren't obligated to use it, and I could use Lanterna for rendering (which supports both true-tty and internal terminal emulator modes). This would require me to reimplement everything, but I'd be doing it in Clojure, and it would give me a chance to apply some of the lessons learned from the lua version and make it a bit cleaner.

Alternately, if I'm willing to abandon the "runs in the tty" requirement, I could use TE4 (the ToME4 engine). This would get me a lot of things for free (UI, pathfinding, FOV, data model, turn model, movement...) and let me re-use some of my existing lua code like the DredXML loader, at the cost of requiring an X display to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

StoryTime posted:

Good to know that having a bunch of sprites won't become a problem that easily. Do you have any guess as to when the problems would start, if I'm just panning the camera across a pile of non-moving sprites? Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands?

I've accidentally created on the order of tens-hundreds of millions of game objects and been like "oh it's running a little slow I wonder why."; and honestly that's just because the editor was clunky updating it's scene view, in a built game it's often not even noticeable when you accidentally do that. Definitely don't worry about Unity's ability to push stuff around until you actually see a problem in practice. Unity gets a bad rap because awful developers use it for free to make shovelware, not because Unity is a bad engine. I'm generally actually really happy with Unity's performance. The major bottleneck with millions of objects is simply the creation of them, since the actual instantiation of that many can take a significant amount of time, and that's trivial to work around by creating a pool of them at startup to use later.

Unity's built in profiler is also quite good in general and if you see performance issues a quick profile will usually let you clean it up easily.

(Unless your code is in a second thread, which all of Caves of Qud's is, in which case Unity's profiler can't see it :()

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 11, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The one thing that is Unity's fault, and which I'm going to curse them for every opportunity I get, is not having any kind of reasonable anti-aliasing implementation for it's deferred rendering.
It created a generation of otherwise reasonably pretty games RUINED by insane aliasing.
Cities Skylines is a great example. Every time I try to play it, the constant shimmering aliasing makes me want to puke my guts out.

Guybro Dudeson
May 24, 2009
So, here's my first screenshots of my progress:

You can drag and drop a .txt file on to the game window to load it. Size doesn't matter currently, but I'm wondering if it'll be an issue later.

This is an example of what a Tree was named using and English translation of Lorem ipsum. Nothing too exciting yet, but it's a start.

I'm still working on filtering out unwanted stuff from the text, but once that's done I can start making the naming system add attributes to game objects. Long way to go yet.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As soon as I finish reading Land Of Lisp I'm gonna do this except in Common Lisp.
If any of it works I'll post it on GitHub

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rt4 posted:

As soon as I finish reading Land Of Lisp I'm gonna do this except in Common Lisp.
If any of it works I'll post it on GitHub

Do it

I'm definitely going to put my loving around with clojure and squidlib on github, if I ever actually do it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited because I have no idea how to make games and also the tutorial uses a terminal graphics library. Not enough games run in the terminal, you know?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
PosChengband question.

I beat the Stronghold, the first dungeon in wilderness mode. Where do I go now? I can't find a labeled map with what areas are what levels, so I'm kind of afraid to venture out in case I wander too far and explode.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just killed the SOB Purifier for the first time. :black101:

Turns out he's not so tough after walking over five land mines and breaking both legs, both arms, his head, and his groin. It also helps that the Ocelot does ~20 damage per shot (60 if you connect with the ricochet as well!) rather than the 5-8 the inventory screen claims -- I guess each point of SHOOT adds something like 3-4 damage to your attacks? I had SHOOT 4.

I've now successfully ventured down to floor 6 of CA-2, and I think I'm going to put away the Ocelot for my next run in favour of the Kalashnikova, or perhaps a Sixdeen -- they're both more ammo-hungry, but I have something like 60 revolver rounds stocked and 600 rifle rounds.

rt4 posted:

I'm excited because I have no idea how to make games and also the tutorial uses a terminal graphics library. Not enough games run in the terminal, you know?

Note that if this is a libtcod tutorial, libtcod games don't run in the terminal -- libtcod comes with its own "terminal-esque" library that looks like a tty but isn't one (think Dwarf Fortress or Caves of Qud). This has the advantage of working even on windows, and not needing to worry about what fonts the user has installed or what to do if they're using something that doesn't support 256-colour mode or the alternate buffer or some other important feature, but you do need a graphical display for it.

That said, you can still use libtcod's other features and just replace libtcod-based rendering with something else if you want true tty support.

SnoozeOrder
Aug 2, 2016

Prism posted:

PosChengband question.

I beat the Stronghold, the first dungeon in wilderness mode. Where do I go now? I can't find a labeled map with what areas are what levels, so I'm kind of afraid to venture out in case I wander too far and explode.

After the Warg/Thief quest and the Stronghold boss you can go find the Orc Caves and either dive in prepared with +speed for Azog, or go to the swamps by Morivant and grind on some of the enemies there until you're like level 20ish (don't need to kill them to get XP, just score hits) while making sure you can get away if you get low or into a sticky situation. If you go for the swamps be careful if you're not a buff melee dude since the hound packs, ogres and hydras can eff you up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SnoozeOrder posted:

After the Warg/Thief quest and the Stronghold boss you can go find the Orc Caves and either dive in prepared with +speed for Azog, or go to the swamps by Morivant and grind on some of the enemies there until you're like level 20ish (don't need to kill them to get XP, just score hits) while making sure you can get away if you get low or into a sticky situation. If you go for the swamps be careful if you're not a buff melee dude since the hound packs, ogres and hydras can eff you up.

Where are the orc caves though? I don't know how to tell which of the > on the map is that one and I don't really want to go to the wrong place and die to something from floor 50.

Edit: oh you can just 'l'ook. WELP.

How do I choose to recall to a different town?

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 11, 2016

SnoozeOrder
Aug 2, 2016

Prism posted:

Where are the orc caves though? I don't know how to tell which of the > on the map is that one and I don't really want to go to the wrong place and die to something from floor 50.

NE of the starting town in the overworld I believe, check the ? menus for help on those controls. I can't check right now myself but can't you "l"ook or e"x"amine them? It's around Morivant which you should stop by to get the recall for before you head into the Orc caves (they're big levels).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

huh, i guess cryptark was getting some patches in late november

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/136626237878682825

of note is the balance section:

Enemy/System changes:
- Repair system now repairs last destroyed system - so it's possible to stay ahead of the repair process
- Took out self repair functionality from repair system - was too hard to take out in combination with the attacking bees
- Goal time now slightly less
- Alarm/sentry/core now dont attack cloaked player. Mines also dont go after cloaked player
- Friendly turret item now has laser weapon to make it more powerful than drone item (but less mobile)
- Juggernaut increased density to stop gunfire from pushing it into walls
- Picket shielded added rapidfire blaster weapon
- Viper lowered attack range and lowered movement speed
- Lowered Ironclad health, and lowered amount of time shield is up
- Decreased MrFixIt heal speed, and now no longer letting multiple heal the same enemy/system
- Increased Sentry system laser damage
- Faster advanced factory spawning, from 100 to 60
- EMP stun now works on shield systems, stops their rotation
- Tattletale enemy now faces player rather than trying to run away
- Now displays 'max drones' in sidebar, to show the total possible drones that can be created on the ship
- Slimer enemy can now take slime damage

changes to the repair systems look pretty good and should make it less frustrating overall

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
in december 2016, i finally beat ADOM. it's time for me to fade away into sparkles like tidus, my purpose on this earth complete

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

libtcod games don't run in the terminal

Awwww mannnn...well, it'll still be fun and informative. Those games you mentioned do have really nice graphics. Maybe I'll try one with ncurses for round two. I'd also like to include 80's-esque sound effects, maybe procedurally generated with a synthesizer library.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Luceid posted:

in december 2016, i finally beat ADOM. it's time for me to fade away into sparkles like tidus, my purpose on this earth complete

i think you mean it's time to do an ultra ending

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rt4 posted:

Awwww mannnn...well, it'll still be fun and informative. Those games you mentioned do have really nice graphics. Maybe I'll try one with ncurses for round two. I'd also like to include 80's-esque sound effects, maybe procedurally generated with a synthesizer library.

It should be, yes. :D And if you really want to dig into the terminal, you can always start with libtcod, and then swap out the libtcod renderer for something based on ncurses (or roll your own, which may not be as portable as curses but can be a lot of fun). Just bear in mind that libtcod gives you capabilities that you won't have in the real tty -- for example, libtcod supports 32-bit colour; the tty supports 256 colour at best, although modern ones let you ask for (R,G,B) colours and will choose the closest colour in the palette to what you asked for -- so if you rely on those features, you might run into some nasty surprises when targeting the tty proper.

Meanwhile, the main thing bedeviling me about tty* support (at the moment) is that Konsole, at least, deals poorly with characters that aren't as wide as it expects. For example, I have an ostensibly fixed-width font installed. But, that font doesn't contain all the glyphs I want to use. So when I try to use one of them, it falls back to a different font that does have the glyph -- which isn't fixed-width. So the character ends up being 1.5em rather than 1em or so, and it does this:

That scrollbar is bad enough, but when it gets used for items in the world, the result is that as you move around it produces a sort of queasy shimmying effect.

* That is, about the tty specifically, rather than about the UI in general

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi everyone! I have made another game, Potomac! This is a historical simulation of a 19th century Detroit prostitute. It has some procedural generated scenarios, as well as permanent death (just like real life!) making it a rogue-like. You play a scenario over the course of 10 weeks, and must try to survive the mean streets of 1880 Detroit! Based on real historical documents, find clippings from the 1880 Detroit Free Press! Collect companions and items to assist you.

At the conclusion of 10 weeks (if you survive!) you score is calculated. This game is designed like a Euro board game, you are meant to try for as high a score as possible! You must decide which weekly activities gain the most value, and adjust your strategy based on the luck of the streets.

Potomac V1.0 Download available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/no6312obg6a0x4g/Potomac+V1.0.rar

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rutibex posted:

Hi everyone! I have made another game, Potomac! This is a historical simulation of a 19th century Detroit prostitute. It has some procedural generated scenarios, as well as permanent death (just like real life!) making it a rogue-like. You play a scenario over the course of 10 weeks, and must try to survive the mean streets of 1880 Detroit! Based on real historical documents, find clippings from the 1880 Detroit Free Press! Collect companions and items to assist you.

This appears to be in no way a roguelike. You should probably find the right thread.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Prism posted:

This appears to be in no way a roguelike. You should probably find the right thread.
:agreed:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Prism posted:

If FTL counts as a Rogue-Like than so does my game :colbert:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

I like your game Rutibex.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why does anyone care where anyone posts

he is sharing a game and it has roguelike elements

that sounds way better than another jerkoff session over what a real roguelike is

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

eonwe posted:

why does anyone care where anyone posts

he is sharing a game and it has roguelike elements

that sounds way better than another jerkoff session over what a real roguelike is

I don't intend to start one of those, I just want to get rid of Rutibex's games because they're bad.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 11, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i see

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
eonwe you should play rutibex's last game and report back. it'll be fun! :)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So do the police instakill you if you don't spend time grinding in a bed that hurts you with each step?

That's actually kinda realistic now that I think about it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So do the police instakill you if you don't spend time grinding in a bed that hurts you with each step?

Don't be silly.

You can't take steps in a bed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's actually kinda realistic now that I think about it.

This is surprisingly close to the actual gameplay. There is a lot of grinding involved.

Unormal posted:

I like your game Rutibex.

Thank you! It is always appreciated.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 11, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rutibex posted:

Good news, everyone!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Today, I laid down some ground work for movement and pathfinding along the game grid. No exciting screeshots to show about it yet. I didn't have a ton of steam for coding, since I had to spend a good while fixing a relatives' win 10 installation.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Hey nerds. Jupiter Hell is on its last 48 hours with $7k left. Please back it, I really want to play this game.

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!

hito posted:

Hey nerds. Jupiter Hell is on its last 48 hours with $7k left. Please back it, I really want to play this game.

Maybe it will still get released if the Kickstarter fails, but this really does look good. Backed it because I'd really like to play it too. :homebrew:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fathom posted:

Maybe it will still get released if the Kickstarter fails, but this really does look good. Backed it because I'd really like to play it too. :homebrew:

There's little chance it will fail at 5k out with 48 hours left. You typically get a big flood at the end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unormal posted:

There's little chance it will fail at 5k out with 48 hours left. You typically get a big flood at the end.

While true, something something roguelikes and overconfidence being the cause of most deaths.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Im not backing it as i dont have much disposable income right now but i will be shocked if it doesnt make it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hello, thread. I haven't done poo poo with my proposed roguelike because the contest came up while I was prepping for

:sassargh: ROGUEMAS RETURNS: RNGingle All The Way :sassargh:

In fine Christmas caroling tradition (and just like I did last year), I'm going to cover 12 roguelikes over the festive nights leading up to the big sale. This year is a little different, though; last time I did 12 roguelikes I really like, but this time I have some new favorites AND some pretty terrible ones. Consider this one more a buyer's guide for the permadeath-addicted in your life. Also keep in mind that I write for a pretty general audience now, so try not to roll your eyes too hard if I mention how the roguelike elements in some of these work.

Alright, everybody ready? Sing along, you know the words!

On the first day of Roguemas, the RNG gave to me...

A feisty little deity

Roguelikes don't have to be hard to be good. Sometimes you just want a relaxing sojourn into new lands, with adorable critters to spar with and adventures to be had. For those times we have Sproggiwood, easily one of the chillest and most charming roguelikes around. Guiding your chosen hero through quaint dungeons is a pleasure for any occasion... even after the game reveals its true colors.

Sproggiwood is the story of Sproggi of Sprog, an impish little nature deity hell-bent on bringing civilization to his corner of creation. For this he turns to you, a member of the adorably boxy Cloghead peoples. As you heed Sproggi's call and tame the wildlands your little Cloghead village grows, opening up new class and equipment options to tackle dungeons with. There's no city-building to be had here (unless you really like arranging shrubberies), just a clever progression system to reward your successes and blunt your failures.

This IS a roguelike, of course, so failures are expected. Each of Sproggiwood's ten missions is a descent into a different cave or dungeon of the world to beat a boss. You get one life to accomplish this task in, and any items or equipment you find on your quest are lost at the end of that quest, win or lose. Your character will also gain experience and level up in these dungeons, granting skill points to unlock or enhance the four skills granted by their class. This progression, too, is reset after each mission.

If this sounds grating to you, understand that missions in Sproggiwood last a matter of minutes. Each is like a mini-roguelike dive confined to a single dungeon, and each attempt earns you currency to spend in your town. Money unlocks permanent upgrades to your stats or bonuses to various systems, or unlocks equipment to start any mission with. You have to find an item before you can purchase it but in a way this allows you to hang onto that sweet, sweet life-sucking sword you found that one time.

The roguelike and progression systems are sound, and luckily they are appended to a simple but very effective gameplay loop. Movement in dungeons is turn-based as most classic roguelikes are. Your basic attacks hit adjacent to your character but among the four skills of each class there are almost always ranged or area attacks to unlock. The classes are all smartly designed with combat and mobility options that can be used to great effect, such as the Archer who has several ranged and piercing attacks along with a chainable combat roll. You can also find potions and scrolls that grant dramatic effects, and shrines and treasures to gain new boons from.

You will need all of these tools to tackle Sproggiwood's precious foes, for none of them are simple fodder. Even the most basic slimes and ambulatory mushrooms have special skills like leaving slippery puddles or sneaking up on you. Later enemies can have abilities that require extensive planning to counter such as the twin fish that must be beaten simultaneously or the infamous black slimes which reproduce wildly if left unchecked. Bosses also have gimmicks that must be strategized around, though they tend to be larger versions of common foes.

Once you come to grips with the class concepts and the battle system, it's smooth sailing through the game. Every time you beat a mission with a different class you'll get a large cash influx to further bolster your heroes, and later upgrades can make you nearly unstoppable. You should have little trouble beating the game, at which point you might notice there's a third difficulty beyond Easy and Normal, called Savage. You might decide to give this mode a try, at which point the adorable goatmen and frogs you've been wailing on will curbstomp your face into paste. Savage difficulty gives new behaviors to ALL the monsters in the game, most powerful enough to make even the lowliest slime an existential threat. As likely as you were to beat the regular game, you'll have to work your rear end off to even have a hope of conquering Savage.

This, really, is the beauty of Sproggiwood. It's a marvelous introduction to the roguelike genre with its simple, engaging combat and charming presentation. Should you grow bored of breezing through dungeons, though, there's a whole world of constant kicks to the teeth you can pit yourself against. The critters are just as adorable in any difficulty, with their soft colors and thick lines. The soundtrack also deserves some major recognition for hitting the pastoral fantasy mark dead-on. It's one of the few soundtracks I've gone out of my way to purchase because of how perfectly it evokes the right mood. Really the same could be said of the whole game, from the hilarious writing and clever story all the way down to the combat that never really gets old. Sproggiwood hits all the right notes for a game that can relax or challenge, all while keeping a smile firmly affixed to your face.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 12, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm making it further and further into CA-2 in WASTED; made it to DL10 twice today (and scored +1 TINKER and +2 inventory spaces). Usual loadout is a Greaser for soft targets and the Automat Kalashnikova for hard ones, plus the usual meds and prox mines -- although I typically do the first 3 floors using nothing but Phasers scavenged from dead Soldroids.

I'm considering leaving the Kalashnikova behind on my next run and taking the Master Blaster instead, though; I generally finish with a surplus of power cells from the Rotordroids, and that +50 damage to robots would probably make it better against Securidroids than the AK, or at least more ammo-efficient.

Still no idea what to expect from the boss, though. Each time I enter the Cooler thinking "ok, this time I'll take on the boss", I find some cool booze first and drink it.

And since I know the WASTED dev reads this thread, it's time for some unsolicited feedback!

- BUG: Floordroid and Ceildroid corpses (the conical upper part that comes off when they die) often turn invisible. They can still be interacted with if you can find them.
- FR: Tag computers that you've already read the content of somehow (similar to [EMPTY] on containers)
- FR: Sorted inventory -- configurable would be great, but at minimum something like "equipped items, consumables, other equipment, misc" rather than the current apparently-random order would be nice
- FR: Don't lose TP on death. There is, AFAICT, no reason to ever take TP into the cooler, so losing it when you die is just a "did you remember to deposit it before leaving home? no? gently caress you" tax. Just assume the player always deposits it before leaving home for the cooler and always withdraws it again if they return alive.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 12, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
backed Jupiter Hell. better get that last $3,221 lads :choco:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Here's my progress on TactRL:

This shows the initiative bar in the bottom-left, with two combatants picking random locations to move to at the DECIDE mark, and then moving to them at the ACT mark, at which point their energy resets and they start over.

It's, uh, it's not nothing.