Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I actually bought an Apple TV for no other reason but to play Sonic 1, 2, and CD on my TV with a controller again.

I would like to say it was a bad use of my money, but the games are so good. I regret nothing.

Maybe someday we'll see Sonic 3K get remastered as well ... someday ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Orange Harrison posted:

sonic_cycle.png

sonic cycle was broken by people declaring it a thing
because the first step is supposed to be that everyone is excited
but now the first step is always cynicism because people started talking about the sonic cycle
also something about bad side characters

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Everything about Sonic is great right now except for the games, and I guess we'll see how the new mainline game pans out before we can sit back and enjoy a blissful period of all of Sonic actually being pretty universally enjoyable for the first time since the early 90s.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TKJFWmoqXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpAEDb1y3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68EzgPTsjVU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you have an android phone, you can just get a cable to plug it into the TV and pick up a Bluetooth controller. You should be able to do it with an iPhone, too.

The games will even hide the onscreen buttons and move the lives counter back to the bottom for you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 8, 2016

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So what's the difference between a regular port and the super special iPhone port? I know the engine was supposedly rebuilt from scratch or something but what does that do that emulation can't?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I tried playing Sonic 1 on iOS using the touch controls and could not beat the first boss.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So what's the difference between a regular port and the super special iPhone port? I know the engine was supposedly rebuilt from scratch or something but what does that do that emulation can't?
The iPhone ports have a lot of extras like Knuckles and Tails in Sonic 1 or extra levels in Sonic 2.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

60fps, true widescreen, massively smoothed animation (check the special stages especially!) plus Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 and Hidden Palace in Sonic 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

60fps, true widescreen, massively smoothed animation (check the special stages especially!) plus Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 and Hidden Palace in Sonic 2.

Holy poo poo I just looked up the special stage thing. That's crazy.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Sonic Lost Music

This is my my fav Sonic song in years and I listen to it every morning when I'm stretching and walking to the place where I run...gets me pumped :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cLe9ZUh1w

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

J-Spot posted:

I tried playing Sonic 1 on iOS using the touch controls and could not beat the first boss.

It took a bit of getting used to but I thought the touchscreen controls worked pretty well with the gradual acceleration of Sonic 1 and CD

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If I die before they let Christian Whitehead release Sonic 3 & Knuckles to ios/android/steam I promise you I will haunt SEGA HQ. I invite all who frequent this thread to join me in this blood pact.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

beep by grandpa posted:

If I die before they let Christian Whitehead release Sonic 3 & Knuckles to ios/android/steam I promise you I will haunt SEGA HQ. I invite all who frequent this thread to join me in this blood pact.

He won't have time since he'll be making sequels to sonic mania for the rest of his life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

This is my my fav Sonic song in years and I listen to it every morning when I'm stretching and walking to the place where I run...gets me pumped :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cLe9ZUh1w

I really thought this was gonna turn into an open palm slam

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

He won't have time since he'll be making sequels to sonic mania for the rest of his life
They'll probably do all the S3&K levels over the course of Sonic Mania 1 through 6 and then repackage them as S3&K after!

who am I kidding, Sonic Mania is going to sell quite well and then they'll turn around and have him make "Sonic Exteethed" where Sonic turns into a beaverhog and you have to teach a dinosaur to ride a bird through the magic of the logging industry

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

spent some time thinking about sonic today. he's very cool

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

sharrrk posted:

spent some time thinking about sonic today. he's very cool

https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/807544776778096640

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Still showing better priorities than the guy who's about to take the job.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"Do it for them"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The new season of Boom started a bit ago, I decided to watch the fourth episode of this season on a whim and it's really, Really good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The new season of Boom started a bit ago, I decided to watch the fourth episode of this season on a whim and it's really, Really good.

We might have lost DAN GREEN in the replacement cast but Idiot Roy Mustang is a treasure to behold every single time. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/AdrianChen/status/807821169755914240

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Sonic Boom show parodied CWC.:lol:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc
Still the best Sonic Boom joke

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

for what it's worth the write said he wasn't based on him or anyone in particular, just the idea of a general looney fan.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Spiderdrake posted:

Explain

Though I agree with what I think you're saying

Just because a level can be long doesn't mean it should be. Marble Garden and Carnival Night both run out of ideas halfway through their second act which makes the tail ends of those acts a massive slog. In addition, to take advantage of the area they've been given, Sonic Team have a /lot/ of areas in those zones where you're running from right to left. Whilst I don't object to that in principle, in excess it leads to a player feeling really lost a lot of the time and as if they're not making any progress.

Like a lot of people will be pushing the 10 minute time limit on Carnival Night 2 and that's just demoralising as hell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Well you can't say this and then not link it :colbert:

:drat:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Like a lot of people will be pushing the 10 minute time limit on Carnival Night 2 and that's just demoralising as hell.

When I was a kid, I finally figured out how The Barrel worked and then I got a game over from running out of time against the boss. It was the first time I shelved a game.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 12, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

Well you can't say this and then not link it :colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

He didn't paint his arms blue :perfect:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The actual joke was that he hadn't finished painting in the arms.

Honestly, between the writer of the episode saying it wasn't based on anyone specific, and most of the jokes being stock loony fan ones and references to broad stuff about the Sonic fandom (his arms being blue were actually a pretty stock complaint about the Boom design before it became associated with CWC), I think y'all are seeing what you want to see on this one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Okay, I'm watching it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yep, nailed it, I was thinking the same things.

And yeah I had that experience doing it this summer when I replayed it. Even as an adult it's just dismal. It's also really shocking how fast you blast through the first two zones and then abruptly everything starts to get really sluggish, probably while you're following some weird directional signs in Marble Garden.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ok, that's pretty great

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That blast processing clip was dumb, just a reference for the sake of being a reference not so much a joke, in this poster's opinion

Okay but this made me laugh out loud hard

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And from what I understand that really is Roger Craig Smith in costume so I like to imagine they mailed him a 20 dollar bill and told him to make the best sonic outfit he could with it

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

That's just how he always dresses when he records VA, duh

I'm hoping they gave him no script or anything and just said to him film a 3 second clip where you say and do something as sonic & email it to us.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What was in the trash bag, Rise of Lyric?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Chowder did that with the VAs washing cars because some in-show disaster bankrupted the IRL studio.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Orange Harrison posted:

Chowder did that with the VAs washing cars because some in-show disaster bankrupted the IRL studio.

No money means.... No animation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

beep by grandpa posted:

What was in the trash bag, Rise of Lyric?

ba dum dum tsh!!!

We'll be back with more Late Night with Beep By Grandpa, everybody!