Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Based on the article titles and comments therein that I saw following the renewal, the show's audience loved that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Edit: Page break ruins everything.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
"Hello Megan?" was the big one I remember being really annoying.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Roth posted:

Off the top of my head, I recall a lot of characters had a catchphrase, or something reoccurring about them.

The whole "whelmed" gag, which I did think was funny.
Lagoon Boy saying "By Neptune's Beard"
Beast Boy saying "Noted"
Wally pointing out "Trophy!" at the end of every mission.

There was also, "Hello Meghan".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Some of them were definitely stronger than others.

I like the "whelmed" gag because it feels like exactly the kind of dumb inside joke a group of friends would hold onto for that long.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Hello Megan thing is actually really important to the plot and is just disguised as an annoying running gag. It's good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, you're purposely meant to think "what an inane running bit" and then it turns out to have significantly deeper meaning, and to be dumb and cheesy on purpose. It's a smart subversion of expectations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Hello Megan" was supposed to be annoying. Same for Lagoon Boy saying that stuff. Thinking he was just this arrogant annoying loser who stole M'gann away was the intended audience reaction.

But Weisman is going to be insufferable? What? The guy has never let go of his ideas but that just makes him committed to what he wants to do. I've never found him arrogant or dismissive of people.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, to be fair, Lagoon Boy is pretty insufferable. It chafes more because he gets so much screen time despite being both incredibly dull and actively difficult to like.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thinking he was just this arrogant annoying loser who stole M'gann away was the intended audience reaction.

Ended up not working for me, because I didn't think Lagoon Boy really came across as a jerk for being with Miss Martian, and I don't recall him treating her badly either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Roth posted:

Ended up not working for me, because I didn't think Lagoon Boy really came across as a jerk for being with Miss Martian, and I don't recall him treating her badly either.

again, that was the point. He has all these surface traits that make you think he's this arrogant jock who was stepping where he didn't belong, but he's really just this insecure kid who's corny and just kind of overcompensating for things without realizing he's just the rebound.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm talking about from the outset, I never really felt like there was a reason to hate the guy, for good or bad reasons. Which is apparently what they intended.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Really? Huh. He really felt like a "the Paulo" character for me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I sort of felt like they wanted me to hate him because "he stole Superboy's girl!!" but I didn't dislike him on that basis, more the fact that he was consistently boring to watch. Meanwhile there are bunches of characters who are potentially more interesting and get tiny scraps of screentime, vs. Lagoon Boy who is dull, vaguely obnoxious, and is very consistently featured episode to episode.

Like, I'm pretty sure he gets more screentime than Nightwing, and he definitely gets more than Batgirl, Wonder Girl, etc. They don't really make him either likeable or interesting enough to justify that, I think.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It also hurts that this all happens after a timeskip where several of the major, painstakingly developed characters from last season are missing or on the sidelines, so you're like, "where's Aqualad? Artemis? Kid Flash?" and the show is just like, "they're gone now, have another episode with eight minutes of Lagoon Boy."

This pays off later in the season when all these characters get to do something, but it takes a really long time for that to happen.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I sort of felt like they wanted me to hate him because "he stole Superboy's girl!!" but I didn't dislike him on that basis, more the fact that he was consistently boring to watch. Meanwhile there are bunches of characters who are potentially more interesting and get tiny scraps of screentime, vs. Lagoon Boy who is dull, vaguely obnoxious, and is very consistently featured episode to episode.

Like, I'm pretty sure he gets more screentime than Nightwing, and he definitely gets more than Batgirl, Wonder Girl, etc. They don't really make him either likeable or interesting enough to justify that, I think.

I don't remember him getting that much screentime. But yeah, I find myself disliking him because he's got two traits, with Miss Martian and constantly angry and frustrated in the field. Superboy had that, but he also had the development to make him a character that you could like. Imagine if Superboy got none of that, and that's kinda like Lagoon Boy. Oh, and then Lagoon Boy gets kidnapped for like, ten episodes. But then again, I'm only at episode 13, from what people have said it sounds like he gets a bit more development.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Giving something a reason to be annoying doesn't make it less annoying. Hello Megan was not pleasing to hear for the umpteenth time. It was nice that they explained it, but that took a while. So people sat through an annoying catch phrase just so we could get a little story that explained why she did it before she basically stopped doing it. We could have just not had it in the first place. Poor writing. Whelmed would have been more funny if it were basically the only attempt at a catchphrase on the show, imo. The season 2 stuff was worse because it felt even more forced, since the older characters stopped doing theirs. I'm fairly certain that the catchphrase nonsense hurt the show more than it helped in the long run.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Android Blues posted:

I mean, to be fair, Lagoon Boy is pretty insufferable. It chafes more because he gets so much screen time despite being both incredibly dull and actively difficult to like.

This is my exact opinion of Girl Martian.

And most of the cast.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is my exact opinion of Girl Martian.

And most of the cast.

It's not really comparable. You might dislike those characters, but there's something to them. Miss Martian has a really elaborate story, personality, character beats, plot relevance, etc. That can land for you or not, but it's inarguably there. Lagoon Boy is just there, on the screen, repeating the same bit of shtick over and over again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The "Hello Megan" thing was part of how M'gann had basically created a new identity that was artificial, it wasn't done for the sake of just "doing it". Likewise, they showed Lagoon Boy was insecure about who he was and overcompensated by being loud, on top of his anxiety about his relationship with her.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A lot of these long, slow, annoying story beats (see: "Hello Megan") only work if your show is good enough despite them that the audience sticks around to see the payoff.

Young Justice wasn't that show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Android Blues posted:

It's not really comparable. You might dislike those characters, but there's something to them. Miss Martian has a really elaborate story, personality, character beats, plot relevance, etc. That can land for you or not, but it's inarguably there. Lagoon Boy is just there, on the screen, repeating the same bit of shtick over and over again.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The "Hello Megan" thing was part of how M'gann had basically created a new identity that was artificial, it wasn't done for the sake of just "doing it". Likewise, they showed Lagoon Boy was insecure about who he was and overcompensated by being loud, on top of his anxiety about his relationship with her.

Exactly. M'gann has more going for her, but it's the exact same thing as Lagoon Boy. It doesn't land on me so I just see her as annoying and wish the show didn't focus so much on her and her crimes against humanity. She's nuanced and very elaborated, but also insufferable and dull.

On brighter news, episode 4 of JLA had the most boring climax that could ever be achieved in a team-up of Swamp Thing, zombie batman and zatanna but episodes 5 (Joker's kidnapped by Morlun or whatever) and 6 (Blue Beetle and Batman go to Batman TAS/Year 1 to beat up Chronos) were Good Enough and really fun to watch.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 12, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

They could have told that exact same story for Megan without overusing an annoying catchphrase, mostly because just about every writer in history who has followed that trope has done it. M'gann isn't the first character in fictional history to be a fish out of water needing to create a new identity to blend in with society. Hello Megan was a bad catchphrase in a show that had too many bad catchphrases. I really enjoyed the show, both seasons, but the catchphrases are my biggest gripe besides the time skip. The writers had a weird and wrong fixation with catchphrases and I hope to god they put that poo poo to rest for season 3.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

They could have told that exact same story for Megan without overusing an annoying catchphrase, mostly because just about every writer in history who has followed that trope has done it. M'gann isn't the first character in fictional history to be a fish out of water needing to create a new identity to blend in with society. Hello Megan was a bad catchphrase in a show that had too many bad catchphrases. I really enjoyed the show, both seasons, but the catchphrases are my biggest gripe besides the time skip. The writers had a weird and wrong fixation with catchphrases and I hope to god they put that poo poo to rest for season 3.

"Yowza, yowza, bo-bowza!"
"Why do you say that, Todd?"
"Joker kept saying that repeating sounds doesn't make a punchline while he kept beating me with the crowbar, at that moment I told myself: i'll defy everything he does, everything, even his attempt at killing me. And I did, and will continue to do. Yowza, yowza, bo-bowza."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It worked for me and I think it added to what they were going for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Usually you don't go for lovely writing but if that is what they wanted then yeah they nailed it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whatever you guys prefer, man.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I thought they did a good job. Then again, I guess it depends on how annoying you find "Hello Megan," in the first place, which in my case is not very.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ended up being shown a bit of Justice League Action

It was weird. The first one, that starred Superman and Wonder Woman, was... worse than the worst episode of the original Teen Titans. Like it was bad like a bad episode of Ben 10. Bad like the DC DTV movies are. Really bad

The other one, though, was a perfectly enjoyable little space adventure with obscure DC weirdos and Patton Oswalt. Like an episode of Brave and the Bold starring Superman, and squashed into 11 minutes.

If these two chunks are representative of the show as a whole, it's gonna be about as mixed a bag as they come, good lordy

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 13, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's for 10 year olds.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Aphrodite posted:

It's for 10 year olds.

So there's no difference between Toy Story and Shrek 4-Ever After, is what you're saying?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ended up being shown a bit of Justice League Action

It was weird. The first one, that starred Superman and Wonder Woman, was... worse than the worst episode of the original Teen Titans. Like it was bad like a bad episode of Ben 10. Bad like the DC DTV movies are. Really bad

The other one, though, was a perfectly enjoyable little space adventure with obscure DC weirdos and Patton Oswalt. Like an episode of Brave and the Bold starring Superman, and squashed into 11 minutes.

If these two chunks are representative of the show as a whole, it's gonna be about as mixed a bag as they come, good lordy

That first one is poo poo and thankfully nothing compares to it.

I'd say that second one is representative of the show, sometimes it gets the pacing better but sometime's it's that strange. Although I might be wrong since there's only six episodes so far and what lies ahead might be different.

2, 5 and 6 are fun and enjoyable to watch.
1 is poo poo, 3 is pretty bad and 4 has the most boring ending imaginable.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 13, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OnimaruXLR posted:

So there's no difference between Toy Story and Shrek 4-Ever After, is what you're saying?

One's really boring and the other's Shrek.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Has anyone else been watching the Justice League Action cartoon? I'm mostly enjoying it, some episodes are better than others.

Some of my highlights so far have been:
Play Date - Teen Titans Go Cyborg is brilliant. All the little video game gags were great.
Nuclear Family Values - I just really loved the demented Brady Bunch villains in this. Firestorm was okay too!
The premiere was decent too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

After seeing the Hulk/Dr. Strange cartoon, I have to applaud Marvel Animation for their absolutely amazing level of consistency. It is an impressive feat to maintain this much blandness across multiple series over multiple years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

After seeing the Hulk/Dr. Strange cartoon, I have to applaud Marvel Animation for their absolutely amazing level of consistency. It is an impressive feat to maintain this much blandness across multiple series over multiple years.

You should probably check out the recent DC stuff too.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Andrew_1985 posted:

Has anyone else been watching the Justice League Action cartoon? I'm mostly enjoying it, some episodes are better than others.

Some of my highlights so far have been:
Play Date - Teen Titans Go Cyborg is brilliant. All the little video game gags were great.
Nuclear Family Values - I just really loved the demented Brady Bunch villains in this. Firestorm was okay too!
The premiere was decent too.

The one with the Trinity was great too. Luthors hair gag was hilarious. And Diana's little gag about sidekicks got all the right people angry

It's a a bit kidsy but even still it's fun to see the JLA back in action.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

You should probably check out the recent DC stuff too.

Yeah but that at least has been relegated to 1 or 2 bad films per year. Multiple seasons of multiple shows and a film nuts. You'd figure they would have at some point wandered into interesting content just by sheer chance by now. Though the fact that DC managed to smother even The Killing Joke in their current bland badness is a very noteworthy achievement.

That said, I feel like the DC DTV films are actually slightly better than the Marvel Animated stuff currently. The biggest downside to DC's stuff is the lack of animation budgets and bland designing. Marvel Animation has that too, but then they are also written in the most uninteresting way possible on top of it all.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah but that at least has been relegated to 1 or 2 bad films per year. Multiple seasons of multiple shows and a film nuts. You'd figure they would have at some point wandered into interesting content just by sheer chance by now. Though the fact that DC managed to smother even The Killing Joke in their current bland badness is a very noteworthy achievement.

That said, I feel like the DC DTV films are actually slightly better than the Marvel Animated stuff currently. The biggest downside to DC's stuff is the lack of animation budgets and bland designing. Marvel Animation has that too, but then they are also written in the most uninteresting way possible on top of it all.

I was super dissapointed about the Hulk/Dr. Strange movie because the only DTv Marvel stuff I've liked was the Wolverine vs. Hulk short film and the Planet Hulk movie, so I thought, "Oh, another Hulk movie, maybe it will be good." Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I was super dissapointed about the Hulk/Dr. Strange movie because the only DTv Marvel stuff I've liked was the Wolverine vs. Hulk short film and the Planet Hulk movie, so I thought, "Oh, another Hulk movie, maybe it will be good." Nope.

Those days and people are long gone it seems.