Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

It's what happens when you let the J4G's run the place.

it's already too late for this sub forum. But we can use it as an example of how not to do things going forward.

The FYAD influx has allowed your gimmick to blossom. You just needed enough fertilizer.

I'm on vacation, but it seems like a good point to snip out the portion of the citizen con video where Crobbers laughingly suggested that they'd hit a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

JugbandDude posted:

This makes a lot of sense and would fit perfectly with CIG tactics so far. My only guess is that they haven't been able to accomplish it, no matter how easy it might seem.

I would think they could accomplish it, but with a 5 minute QTE for the 'jump' to provide enough time for the new system to load, and they probably think even the die hard fans won't put up with that.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

tuo posted:

Derek and Jalad at Tamras, his arms crossed. :colbert:

woah a good post in this thread

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Gradis posted:

think its the 122

edit: is it the su-152?

I really should know - I did the whole Russian tank destroyer line to death in World of Tanks. My memory is terrible.

I do know that it's something that is extremely funny to use at point blank range. And that people say rude things in chat after you've one-shotted them. lol.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Mr Fronts posted:

I really should know - I did the whole Russian tank destroyer line to death in World of Tanks. My memory is terrible.

I do know that it's something that is extremely funny to use at point blank range. And that people say rude things in chat after you've one-shotted them. lol.

You should see the meltdowns you get when you nuke someone from orbit with arty, pretty much the only pleasure I derive from playing WOT these days.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

JugbandDude posted:

This makes a lot of sense and would fit perfectly with CIG tactics so far. My only guess is that they haven't been able to accomplish it, no matter how easy it might seem.

Well if you think about how long it took them just to get the 1/5th of the Stanton system in the game, then divide that in half because swapping a color palette should be easier than making a whole new thing from scratch, then they still have like a year before it'll be in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Draw me like one of your French girls.

:nws:

:nws:

:golfclap:

VengerTL
May 29, 2013
Has anything of note come out of CIG posting their taxes or whatever it was, in the UK?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

VengerTL posted:

Has anything of note come out of CIG posting their taxes or whatever it was, in the UK?

They spends lotsa money.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Just a reminder that any board/investors would never allow a CEO of a startup (with no real product) make more than an upper middle class wage. Anything more is basically considered theft. :) These first class Hawaii/Monaco vacations, fancy sports cars, and mansions are a big no no.

Actual executives get their money from stock option or royalties, I.e their startup company being a success.

The whole "million bucks a year" thing only goes to executives of established worldwide companies and making sure the ship runs smooth. And even that is rare.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 15, 2016

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
Quick remember to just do it folks

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

ahmini posted:

You should see the meltdowns you get when you nuke someone from orbit with arty, pretty much the only pleasure I derive from playing WOT these days.

Arty? Yeah, I was playing the (tier 3?) SU-26 around 2013, in its heyday - before it was horribly neutered. Wonderful.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheLightPurges posted:

Just a reminder that any board/investors would never allow a CEO of a startup (with no real product) make more than an upper middle class wage. Anything more is basically considered theft. :) These first class Hawaii/Monaco vacations, fancy sports cars, and mansions are a big no no.

Actual executives get their money from stock option or royalties, I.e their startup company being a success.

The whole "million bucks a year" thing only goes to executives of established worldwide companies and making sure the ship runs smooth. And even that is rare.

No but you see Chris Roberts was already independently wealthy from doing :shrug: for the last 20 years. The reason why he didn't just plunk down the initial $500,000 they asked for himself is because they needed all of us idiots rubes patsies potential customers to prove that there was market demand!

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Streetroller posted:

Apparently CIG still haven't learned about companies picking on individuals.

I can't really imagine what's going through their minds with this poo poo.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361482/a-man-arrested

I'm not sure I understand the point of an intentionally bad PR move and increase in liability.
It's fairly possible to prove that a common person versed in understanding of the controversy of this project would know that Derek is being targeted, no?

He's not a fictional character, nor is the description something I'd consider very parody-like.

Very very dumb move, lol.

Incredible it's so petty and stupid I gotta believe Wolf Larson wrote it

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I am ready to play it vicariously through you! Bring on the revolutionary tactical FPS action!

I AM FEELING IT! ARE YOU FEELING IT? GRAAAAAAAAA!

HYPE! ROARING! THROUGH! VEINS! EXULTATION! FILLS! ME! UNABLE! TO! SPEAK! AT! NORMAL! PACE!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This documentary on DOOM is fascinating. Thanks for linking it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Streetroller posted:

Apparently CIG still haven't learned about companies picking on individuals.

I can't really imagine what's going through their minds with this poo poo.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361482/a-man-arrested

I'm not sure I understand the point of an intentionally bad PR move and increase in liability.
It's fairly possible to prove that a common person versed in understanding of the controversy of this project would know that Derek is being targeted, no?

He's not a fictional character, nor is the description something I'd consider very parody-like.

Very very dumb move, lol.

Lol Derek Smart is literally the most litigious person in the universe
See you in the 'court!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trammel posted:

I've just finished this on your recommendation, and you're right, it's excellent and very enjoyable, thank you. It also has clear parallels to what's happening on CIG. One good thing to come from this thread anyway.

Yay!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
is it time for space court yet

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Lol Derek Smart is literally the most litigious person in the universe
See you in the 'court!

I would be shocked to hear any part of that dumb thing was legally actionable, it's just silly and a bit unprofessional

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This documentary on DOOM is fascinating. Thanks for linking it.

Seconding this. Very nice, and it really illustrates something as simple as what a name means.

I kind of want to play Doom 4 1.0 now… but perhaps not with the Doom name attached.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

As much as I'd love it to be, the name thing isn't breaking any laws. It's (poo poo) satire. If it was breaking any laws, SA would have been shut down years ago. It's just very childish and stupid to mock your critics. The noble choice is to ignore and move on, but CIG just loves sending up big "troll us please, we react in stupid ways" red balloons.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I would be shocked to hear any part of that dumb thing was legally actionable, it's just silly and a bit unprofessional

It probably doesn't meet the bar in US law, anyway. But it is stupid and inflammatory.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

cig dumb, so what

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Derek ceo of games company who posts tons of parody of chris roberts is offended by chris roberts's parody of him and its out of bounds and tasteless because he is the ceo of a games company.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

Seconding this. Very nice, and it really illustrates something as simple as what a name means.

I kind of want to play Doom 4 1.0 now… but perhaps not with the Doom name attached.

Absolutely. I would just change the name to "Damnation" and be done with it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

I also think the brown sea doesn't realize Derek is just one of the louder, weirder goons rather than our actual leader.

ALL hail Derek, hand of Lowtax

FTFY. Show the proper respect.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
tomorrow is gonna be good

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, but would you also be shocked to hear that Derek frequently threatens legal action over all sorts of dumb non-actionable poo poo?

TheAgent posted:

It's a Friday so technically you can't be wrong about this.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

This. This makes me so loving mad.

YOU are like a child in a candy store who just spent $3500 on candy and wants their $3500 worth of candy N-O-W.

Learn some loving patience.

^ (I don't read Reddit/CIG but I assume there's at least one reply like this)

I've watched the first ten minutes of this (still watching) and honestly, this is the sort of thing backers should be watching. It won't change any of our minds but it's an earnest and efficient German asking the real questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzpbpSs9Z4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

Remember the golf swing scan. Never forget.

I have a link when they talked about this stuff:

https://youtu.be/50Jk-mQ9_pw

I'm sure what they really meant to imply was "press and hold the button until the bar is in the sweet spot then release for scan". This is like the backers are getting their dreams coming true right in front of their faces! I'm so happy for them! :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Have they done any of their usually media releases this week ?

Where is Ben blathering on about stuff he knows nothing about ?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

cool new Polack jokes posted:

This. This makes me so loving mad.

YOU are like a child in a candy store who just spent $3500 on candy and wants their $3500 worth of candy N-O-W.

Learn some loving patience.

^ (I don't read Reddit/CIG but I assume there's at least one reply like this)

I've watched the first ten minutes of this (still watching) and honestly, this is the sort of thing backers should be watching. It won't change any of our minds but it's an earnest and efficient German asking the real questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzpbpSs9Z4

"No really, where is the fun?"

I was baffled

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

Can't wait for the racing!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

XK posted:

Can't wait for the racing!

Racing has been removed from the current build , as we found it was causing too many bugs

So now we will have 3 literal autistic nerds discuss the finer points of the entire wing commander collection for the next 5 hours

Enjoy !

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

Yeah, but would you also be shocked to hear that Derek frequently threatens legal action over all sorts of dumb non-actionable poo poo?

He didn't do any of that stuff this time though, it's all on the thread

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sappo569 posted:

Racing has been removed from the current build , as we found it was causing too many bugs

So now we will have 3 literal autistic nerds discuss the finer points of the entire wing commander collection for the next 5 hours

Enjoy !

I would no joke love this

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bitter Beard posted:

I honestly believe they are attempting to make the Arma of space at this point and all the nonsense animations typical 'gamers' want to skip through. That's part of their game, that's the part of their game they are adding in to make it 'real' and justify the hundred million dollars to secure this type of loving nonsense, so they don't get sued out of existence when an eventual review of this ponzi scheme actually happens. Christ Robert's has pivoted, to secure the autistic-Eve-players-man-baby-incomes, and they finance the game to start out as Gods with huge fleets that not even 1/10th of it can be in the same zone together 'because that's what you asked for,' realism, idiots.

This poo poo just keeps getting better and better.

I'm not sure this is accurate.

I think they are making six million ways a character can sit in a chair or climb a ladder at different speeds is because Chris Roberts can only contribute "playing director" to the overall development of the project. He can't code, he can't do art. He can critique art, tell people their code isn't up to his standards, and make animation footage.

Animation footage is his only contribution. And he is a huge believer in "if I throw enough good art at it, a game will appear!" So he's doing his part by making enough animation and art so a game appears out of thin air.

Also, I strongly feel that he is a "I want results now" type of person. He's the kind of manager who looks at a prototype and tells the world it's done because it appears to work. He can't handle the development timeline of Star Citizen because he can't wrap his tiny little mind around the fact he's looking at years and years of development time. And he believes himself so much that he'll even post a timeline as honest fact, with everything finishing in like a week, and then wonder why it didn't happen.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

I would no joke love this

You are one of the three ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nOsuaPDeg&t=895s

This right here really hit me hard, and shows how a collaborative team full of professionals are meant to handle a creative project. Timestamp is 14:55 if it doesn't work.