Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I just want to see video of what happens if you test on, say, an interstate with road construction during a snow storm. Ideally a bunch of self driving cars with no occupants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

There's every form of normal pd-spec vehicle in our local force (some CV still rolling too), plus a bunch of new Tahoes, and at least one each of Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger.

This is some bullshit with the ghost graphics.

Our local PD is still rolling in a fleet of beat to poo poo Impalas. The county dept has gone all Charger and the highway enforcement division (sort of stand alone but governed by the PD) has a fleet of converted civilian vehicles so they can catch the speeders by surprise. Two Mustangs, a few Chargers and my favorite, a fuckin Transit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

I just want to see video of what happens if you test on, say, an interstate with road construction during a snow storm. Ideally a bunch of self driving cars with no occupants.

Sorry, they only design for San Francisco weather so it'll be 70's and sunny and that's it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My local pd had a dust buster minivan for a cop car back in the 90s

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

xzzy posted:

Sorry, they only design for San Francisco weather so it'll be 70's and sunny and that's it.

Honestly? So far, yeah. If you do some digging, Google acknowledges that there's a hell of a lot of work to do before they can handle bad weather conditions at all, and you'll notice where they're doing their testing. Between that and seeing SAE related stuff on how hard the problem of autonomous cars is, the idea that Tesla and Uber and whatnot think they have it licked scares the hell out of me.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mekilljoydammit posted:

Honestly? So far, yeah. If you do some digging, Google acknowledges that there's a hell of a lot of work to do before they can handle bad weather conditions at all, and you'll notice where they're doing their testing. Between that and seeing SAE related stuff on how hard the problem of autonomous cars is, the idea that Tesla and Uber and whatnot think they have it licked scares the hell out of me.

The future people see of only self driving cars, a herd of them inches from each other goin 100 MPH down an interstate is a looong looong way away.

If we go with a Phase-In model, I'd see the rich west coast cities becoming heavily populated with the cars, as well as the cities themselves supporting it. Like, with traffic signals talking directly to the cars.
Then it would slowly spread from there. I don't ever see these things bcoming 100% in most of the states.

Self Drving cars are a rich man's fantasy.

I'm thinking of my area here. City of around 60K, state college, with a dozen smaller locations withni 30 mile radius of it's city limits. I don't see these cars going down some 2 lane backwoods road.
Same as with electric cars, great if you are just driving around the city for an office job, complete poo poo if you use your vehicle for work, in a non-major city.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'd still rather be killed by a high speed robot than some dumbass in a corolla. Makes for a better epitaph.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Bad weather, poor reception (underground), poor road markings, component failure are all huge issues before the future is now(tm).

The inability for states to enact meaningful safety inspections as is gets much worse when those safety items become sensors and cameras that a self driving car relies on.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd still rather be killed by a high speed robot than some dumbass in a corolla. Makes for a better epitaph.

RIP Blue Footed Booby
Died eating a Google bug

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

Like, with traffic signals talking directly to the cars.

We actually got one step closer to that the other day, and if the proposed rules get implemented might even be required equipment within 10 years.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13936342/wireless-vehicle-to-vehicle-communication-v2v-v2i-dot-nhtsa

Once cars are talking to each other, traffic lights won't be far behind.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

ofc that still doesn't matter because the video of the uber running the red is in san francisco. You can see the SFMOMA right there.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

We actually got one step closer to that the other day, and if the proposed rules get implemented might even be required equipment within 10 years.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13936342/wireless-vehicle-to-vehicle-communication-v2v-v2i-dot-nhtsa

Once cars are talking to each other, traffic lights won't be far behind.

Audi has an interface for traffic lights. https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/news/press-releases/2016/08/audi-announces-first-vehicle-to-infrastructure-service

It's one way (the light telling the car how long to go until it changes), but it portends more traffic signal and vehicle interaction in the future. Smart traffic management will probably be a bigger deal than self-driving cars in the long run.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Here lies Blue Footed Booby, the first victim of the robot uprising of 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Bad weather, poor reception (underground), poor road markings, component failure are all huge issues before the future is now(tm).

The inability for states to enact meaningful safety inspections as is gets much worse when those safety items become sensors and cameras that a self driving car relies on.

THIS is the part that scares me. Given that there are people who can't be bothered to get their oil changed, imagine the ways people will fail to maintain robocars. It's too easy to imagine someone saying "sure one of the cameras is broken, but there are three more! What's field of view??"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Here lies Blue Footed Booby, the first victim of the robot uprising of 2021

Rest in Pieces

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

THIS is the part that scares me. Given that there are people who can't be bothered to get their oil changed, imagine the ways people will fail to maintain robocars. It's too easy to imagine someone saying "sure one of the cameras is broken, but there are three more! What's field of view??"

Rest in Pieces

Presumably the cars will have self-tests to prevent them from going when damaged. Which will then lead to forum discussions of how to bypass the lockouts and get a damaged self-driver back on the road without actually fixing it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So robot cars blow the occasional redlight and can't deal with bad weather, but don't lose concentration.

They're basically better than 75% of people I see on the roads every day then. I honestly lose count of the number of people I see either on their phones or with headphones on.

It's also trivially easy for a vehicle to refuse to operate with more than X sensors not working, so it'd go:
1/ Single sensor out, maybe vehicle can compensate. Constant warnings to replace component.
2/ More than 1 sensor out/function or field of view compromised, vehicle refuses to drive in automatic.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's also trivially easy for a vehicle to refuse to operate with more than X sensors not working, so it'd go:
1/ Single sensor out, maybe vehicle can compensate. Constant warnings to replace component.

Hell, forget warnings, just have it post publicly to your Facebook that you're willingly driving an unsafe vehicle. :getin:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I still say that people won't be allowed to own self driving cars. In order to keep everything running smoothly, you'll have to have constant preventative maintenance. Probably the cars would have self diagnostics and just take themselves in for that.
Average person won't be able to afford one. It'll all be state/federal mandated repair shops. Places like we have today won't exist. It'll be like electrician or plumber or whatnot in that it'll take years before you're allowed to gently caress with one. Probably need a degree.
Modding/customizing one yourself is right out. Pretty much, the word of the manufacturer will be God. And there will be only ONE Manufacturer. Do you really think there would be a dozen brands of self driving cars, and there be no problems with the brands communicating?

Naaah, One Car, One Style.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's the thing though. They're autonomous. They don't need to communicate to each other in order to operate safely. Hence why they work amongst normal traffic. In theory at least. Multiple manufacturers will exist. Hopefully it won't turn into regional monopolies like ISPs or other utility providers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well there are plenty of examples of people causing huge clusterfuck pileups in situations like that, so could it be any worse?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/14/uber-self-driving-cars-run-red-lights-san-francisco?CMP=fb_gu
Oh, this whole thing is so Uber. They're going to ruin autonomous vehicles with their lovely decisions and bad tech

quote:

The traffic violations and threat of legal action are a significant blow to Uber in its home town, where the California department of motor vehicles has said that Uber requires permits to test the technology on its roads.
Despite that stated mandate from a government agency, Uber declared in a blogpost that it did not believe it needed a “testing permit” to launch self-driving vehicles in San Francisco, arguing that the rules don’t apply since the cars have people in them monitoring movements... “These incidents were due to human error. This is why we believe so much in making the roads safer by building self-driving Ubers,” the statement said. “The drivers involved have been suspended while we continue to investigate.”

A sergeant with the police traffic division said his department was not even aware that Uber had started using autonomous cars in San Francisco.
Rotter argued that the technology company should be held responsible for sending the vehicles out on the road despite government objections.
“What this company has done is start operating illegally and push for permission later.”

At least clear it with the loving police before putting 2 tons of autonomous steel on the road in a city of millions, you paste-eating retards

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uber must really hate money with the way they constantly give the middle finger to pretty much every government they encounter.

I mean they got a raw deal early on when cab drivers started getting sue happy over their business model coming under threat, but since then Uber has acted like Sex Pistols: The Company.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xzzy posted:

Uber must really hate money with the way they constantly give the middle finger to pretty much every government they encounter.

I mean they got a raw deal early on when cab drivers started getting sue happy over their business model coming under threat, but since then Uber has acted like Sex Pistols: The Company.

Their business model depends entirely on screwing their drivers as much as possible, so the lawsuits are quite justified, IMO.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Uber is a horrible leech on this world and I long for the day when they loving implode into a million pieces.

Private car ownership will be banned and you'll be required to rent a car from Uber or Tesla for the duration of your trip. Or that's the dream of these companies anyways.

Tech companies are all about removing the concept of ownership and replacing it with "gig rentals" and subscription services.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 16, 2016

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
The whole point the cab companies had, at least where I live, was that Uber was operating without commercial insurance and therefore no insurance at all. You have to be pretty scummy to get me onside with cabbies. I generally hate the whole silicon valley mindset of just ignoring all the rules and then crying and trying to change the laws when they get called on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe our buddy 14" has an opinion on Uber.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Door Frame posted:

Uber declared [...] that the rules don’t apply since <reasons>

This is, like, Uber's business model in a nutshell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uber is also operating at a massive loss to drive companies with shallow pockets out of business and build a monopoly.

Driver pay also usually works out to less than minimum wage.

Still, taxi companies are so lovely, i can't feel bad for them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's weird to me how Uber is seen as some kind of big deal here in North America and people talk about them like they were some kind of monopoly or going to own the world or something. They tried going into China and got completely smashed by the local competition. I tried using it and their app is utter garbage compared to the Chinese competition and they seemed to lack even the basic understanding of how anything (e.g. receipts) work locally. They were outspending their competitors too, losing billions every year, and yet still folded because the company is just incompetent to a degree scarcely believable.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iospace posted:

My local pd had a dust buster minivan for a cop car back in the 90s

In like 2000 or so my local pd had a Ford aerostar that was black and silver with tints and lovely hub caps. Busted me a few times with it when I was sneaking into abandoned warehouses.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I know someone that works for Uber and is somewhat involved with the self driving stuff. It's apparently a completely toxic culture and they've started firing anyone that even suggests they might not be fully onboard with how things are done there. It's hard enough to make a car properly drive itself when everyone is actually working together effectively. In an environment where no one can even acknowledge, let alone point out, problems it's going to be impossible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Uber has lost over 1.5 billion this year, eventually they will be hosed.
Seems like a lot of these companies skirt or outright break the law (Uber, AirBNB, etc) with the idea that they are just shaking up the industry.
I am also not a Google fan. Shrug.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

clam ache posted:

In like 2000 or so my local pd had a Ford aerostar that was black and silver with tints and lovely hub caps. Busted me a few times with it when I was sneaking into abandoned warehouses.

Same, except replace black with mostly blue + peeling clearcoat. It looked pretty beat up, except for the incredibly dark tint.

Complete sleeper police vehicle for sure.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/kfuoM17.gifv

edit: this took about nine loving tries to make it embed so if it doesn't work for whatever device you're using I apologise in advance

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 16, 2016

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Same, except replace black with mostly blue + peeling clearcoat. It looked pretty beat up, except for the incredibly dark tint.

Complete sleeper police vehicle for sure.

Around 1998, I saw a guy get pulled over by an unmarked early 90's Pontiac Grand Prix. I'd have never suspected it in a million years.

Then a few years later, I got popped by a plainclothes cop in a mid-90's Thunderbird Super Coupe. It was bullshit because I was passing a Honda Civic going 30 in a 45 zone in a fully legal passing zone, and I didn't even exceed the speed limit to pass the car. I made the pass and then the Thunderbird chased me down from behind so I'm pretty sure I was set up. Told me it was a "pretty stupid thing" I was doing, but he let me go.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I can't see self driving cars handling the narrow, bumpy and often heavily potholed UK country roads somehow. Especially given how signage is often partially or almost entirely obscured by vegetation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Memento posted:

edit: this took about nine loving tries to make it embed so if it doesn't work for whatever device you're using I apologise in advance

Yeah, I pulled it up before you got it animated and was wondering just what it was I was supposed to be seeing that was remarkable.

I now see that someone was testing a new sort of run-flat tire. Doesn't look ready for market just yet, though.

That's actually what my driver's ed teachers told us to do in a bad road situation - if you have to ruin the tire and rim, do so to get to a safe place to pull over. I think they took that advise a little too strongly.

Of course, the body damage to the left front suggests that this person may have hit something to cause the damage in the first place and may not be driving on a full tank of gas, so to speak.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 16, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Memento posted:

:stonklol:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BlackMK4 posted:

Uber has lost over 1.5 billion this year, eventually they will be hosed.
Seems like a lot of these companies skirt or outright break the law (Uber, AirBNB, etc) with the idea that they are just shaking up the industry.
I am also not a Google fan. Shrug.

$1.5bn... that can't be...

Gizmodo Article posted:

According to the Bloomberg report, driver subsidies account for a majority of losses in the first half of 2016.

That’s the same fact shown in leaked documents published by The Information earlier this year. The leaked documents showed Uber paying out $2.72 billion to drivers in the first half of 2015.

No wonder they're desperately trying to throw driverless cars onto the streets. Their business model of undercutting everyone has failed, since surprise! you have to make the money back after you undercut the market. Now they have no idea how to unfuck themselves and are flailing, this is wonderful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

D I S R U P T I V E