Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Aphrodite posted:

An extremely close shave.

But you should just have a single straight screen and some good screen cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

:rolleyes:

Mac users.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I always had major problems with eye strain and image clarity on modern LCD displays. A friend got me to try out a cheap old CRT and it made a huge difference. It's pretty obvious that all of the monitor "advances" over the last 25+ years are just BS sold to us by BIG MONITOR to make us buy new things that we do not need.With CRTs, a replacement pack of 6 costs less than one new LCD does too.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Doom Rooster posted:

I always had major problems with eye strain and image clarity on modern LCD displays. A friend got me to try out a cheap old CRT and it made a huge difference. It's pretty obvious that all of the monitor "advances" over the last 25+ years are just BS sold to us by BIG MONITOR to make us buy new things that we do not need.With CRTs, a replacement pack of 6 costs less than one new LCD does too.

If anything, CRTs are the real BIG MONITOR.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

You might consider testing if it's IPS vs. TN LCD panels, and matte vs gloss. TN or gloss give me headaches and eye strain, matte IPS monitors do not.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It's free, so I dunno if it counts as a purchase, but download f.lux because it's the best.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
They were doing a bit.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

You might consider testing if it's IPS vs. TN LCD panels, and matte vs gloss. TN or gloss give me headaches and eye strain, matte IPS monitors do not.

:thejoke:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

They were doing a bit.

I know, but I wanted to plug f.lux because it rules.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:downsgun:

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Grasshopper Vape (Titanium, Grey) from eBay

Looking forward to stealthy vaping.

The Sicilian has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Dec 15, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Sicilian posted:

Grasshopper Vape (Titanium, Grey) from eBay

Looking forward to stealthy vaping.

Electrical heating element from eBay that you hold near your face. RIP.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

To be fair, it's always the battery's fault when they explode. Those'll be fine.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Aramek posted:

It's free, so I dunno if it counts as a purchase, but download f.lux because it's the best.

Lol if your monitor doesn't have blue light reduction modes built into it, just lol.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
I finally told Sprint to gently caress off and signed up with Google Fi. Bought a Pixel for myself and my wife to replace our old Galaxy S5s. It feels like breaking up with an abusive partner.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Sneeing Emu posted:

I finally told Sprint to gently caress off and signed up with Google Fi. Bought a Pixel for myself and my wife to replace our old Galaxy S5s. It feels like breaking up with an abusive partner.

:toot: I like Fi a lot, and cutting ties with AT&T was very cathartic

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

canis minor posted:

Aaah, wrong book :):

10/10, would airbrush this on the side of my van

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To followup on the Hubsan drone chat, here's a pic from what seems to be the high point when it got lost. Keep in mind, it's just a tiny thing that fits in the palm of your hand

Aramek posted:

"The robot lays on its back, chassis baking in the hot sun, beating its props trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping."

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Aramek posted:

"The robot lays on its back, chassis baking in the hot sun, beating its props trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping."

Flight-Kampff Test.

Yes, that did take two days.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My current Chinese-made Converse are already falling apart, so I'm getting two pairs of replacements:

* PF Flyers, of the kind made in Boston in limited numbers from Ball and Buck.

* Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star '70s, the semi-reproduction models made with thicker canvas.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Not long ago I bought a ring. It is uniquely handcrafted by someone I know, and I plan to offer it tomorrow to the woman I will propose to.

I hope she says yes. We just bought a house together so the risk she doesn't is probably limited.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's beautiful! Best of luck! :)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Thank you :)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
How much dinero was that

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Not long ago I bought a ring. It is uniquely handcrafted by someone I know, and I plan to offer it tomorrow to the woman I will propose to.

I hope she says yes. We just bought a house together so the risk she doesn't is probably limited.

Good luck! You've already bought a house, so this is just making it legal at this point.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Just purchased the down payment for a moving company to haul my poo poo 630 miles to Chicago. I've always done it myself in a U-Haul till now, but this is far enough away that I'd have to go solo anyway, so might as well get someone to do it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kontradaz posted:

How much dinero was that

https://youtu.be/l91ISfcuzDw

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Aramek posted:

Just purchased the down payment for a moving company to haul my poo poo 630 miles to Chicago. I've always done it myself in a U-Haul till now, but this is far enough away that I'd have to go solo anyway, so might as well get someone to do it.

Welcome brother, enjoy the weather

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Good luck and congratulations~

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Welcome brother, enjoy the weather

Moving from somewhere colder and windier, it'll be good.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Congrats!! What a classy ring :)

Aramek posted:

Great choice--Chicago will be a great place to live! Hopefully everything goes well with the interstate movers

vv e: My coworker was just telling me how great that movie is today--I gotta add that to my list

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Dec 17, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bought Tucker & Dale vs Evil on blu ray cause it's :10bux: on amazon at the moment, and I'm a commentary nerd.

Also, congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Nice, I did the same thing last year, including buying the house first. It's a great call, marriage is fun. Get ready for baby boomers telling you "just remember, happy wife happy life hahahaha" for the next year or so. Congratulations!

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Got my self a folding kayak, a Pakboats Puffin Swift.

Now for the long wait for the winter to be over.

(not my picture)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Aramek posted:

Also extending my welcome! I did r Uhaul for 863 to get back here in October. Thank God for podcasts.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Ordered this electronics stuff:

To make this:

Which is a guitar distortion pedal based on the Providence Stampede.
Even though it's just a kit, will be a good intro into how to put together a pedal at home, so I'm excited.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

betterinsodapop posted:

To make this:

Even though it's just a kit, will be a good intro into how to put together a pedal at home, so I'm excited.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Enjoy your solder headache, friend.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

betterinsodapop posted:

To make this:

Oh, man. You're making me want to go through some old boxes in my attic. I have an old Radio Shack (or Tandy) book with schematics for 20 or 30 pedals. This was back when you could actually buy all the components at a Radio Shack. I got it in HS and only put together a fuzz pedal and reverb pedal because I had never soldered or done any real electronic projects before this. It was an uphill climb for me and I ruined more than one board.

I seem to remember there being a Wah pedal schematic, but I could never find some of the parts cheap enough, the foot pedal being the one that was hard to find. Although now that I think about it, an old car accelerator pedal probably would have worked.

Welp, I know what I'm doing this coming year.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I found it at Amazon (well, the revised edition - I'd swear I bought it in the late 80s). I guess it wasn't Radio Shack. Pretty sure that's where I bought it though.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Projects-Musicians-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825695023

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

betterinsodapop posted:

To make this:

drat you, this is awesome and I don't need need any more projects, especially when I really want an echo pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

strangemusic posted:

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Enjoy your solder headache, friend.
Haha, whoa. Didn't know we had so many guitar pedal tinkerers around here! Pretty cool!
I'll try to work in a well ventilated area!

flosofl posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I found it at Amazon (well, the revised edition - I'd swear I bought it in the late 80s). I guess it wasn't Radio Shack. Pretty sure that's where I bought it though.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Projects-Musicians-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825695023
Whoa, this book looks delightfully old school and pretty awesome.

OSU_Matthew posted:

drat you, this is awesome and I don't need need any more projects, especially when I really want an echo pedal
I'll let ya know how it turns out. I have enough projects too, but I just love having poo poo on the back burner, just in case.