Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

jisforjosh posted:

Not that I caught. I seriously doubt any Seal member has ever been captured and/or that we would know about it enough to make a TV show (seriously why)

Yeah I was imagining it would be really lol if they threw that tag out over the image of a captured SEAL b/c I'm p. sure that's never ever happened haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Not that I caught. I seriously doubt any Seal member has ever been captured and/or that we would know about it enough to make a TV show (seriously why)

At least one has, falling out of the open ramp of a crashing Chinook and captured by al Qaeda, but was immediately executed.

The only "capture" I could find. I swore there might have been some in Vietnam and I thought the guy who was killed by the hijackers on TWA 847, but that guy turned out to be just a Navy diver.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well, I was factually wrong as hell, but in my defense I was very correct in my thoughts about what I would do if I was a commander fighting an American invasion. You absolutely do not keep a SEAL alive, you don't need that kind of heat and there's no kind of payoff even assuming you can successfully interrogate the guy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wanna be Mr. Weatherbee, and go mad rutty on some of that Miss Grundy trim.

The MSJ posted:

I think Cole Sprouse is more famous for being one half of a very popular Disney Channel franchise.

Also Ms Grundy is played by Sarah Hable who was in both Hostel Part 3 and The Butterfly Effect 3.

Would you believe that one of the plot points revealed in the pilot is that Archie did, indeed, bone down with Hot Young Miss Grundy over summer break?

Because that is 1000000% true.

edit: Proof. Again, spoilers.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DC Murderverse posted:

Would you believe that one of the plot points revealed in the pilot is that Archie did, indeed, bone down with Hot Young Miss Grundy?

Because that is 1000000% true.

edit: Proof. Again, spoilers.

TBH if I'm sitting in a writers' room and our job is to make a TV show off Archie comics kids will like, and I know what we're going in against..... "episode 1, Archie fucks Ms. Grundie" doesn't look like an unreasonable gambit at all.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I actually saw a young girl buy an Archie comic in line at the grocery store and I was flabbergasted. Then I remembered that I saw a ton of Captain Americas during Halloween and he just celebrated his 75th Anniversary. I'm a big Cap fan so I'll try to give Archie poo poo the benefit of the doubt but it's still weird.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Trust me, Archie is not connecting with the kids in any meaningful way. That girl you saw was probably acting on the thought process 'I see these things twice a week, maybe I'll try one.', j/s.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hell, Archie was old hat way back when I was a kid. I didn't like the comics, but I sure bought a hell of a lot of them. Every supermarket carried them and I'd pick up a couple on long car trips to vacations and camping.

Kind of like Mad Magazine. Mad was great, but sometimes the supermarket didn't have any, so you'd have to buy a Cracked, or in desperate times a CARtoons magazine. Ohh, that Krass & Bernie, what loveable automotive scamps! (baaaarrrfffff)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Trust me, Archie is not connecting with the kids in any meaningful way. That girl you saw was probably acting on the thought process 'I see these things twice a week, maybe I'll try one.', j/s.

I thought this too & seemed to have it confirmed when I would ask Safeway cashiers if anyone bought the Archie's but I met some1 relatively recently who casually mentioned she reads Archie comics so there is at least some anecdotal evidence that the Archie ppl aren't just running an elaborate front.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There was an unattended box of posters as I left the screening, so I grabbed a handful of them.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Gotta love their little antlers.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 16, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gonz posted:

There was an unattended box of posters as I left the screening, so I grabbed a handful of them.

Ah, the 'X-Wing-dick guy' ones, they will be collector's items one day.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Hat Thoughts posted:

I thought this too & seemed to have it confirmed when I would ask Safeway cashiers if anyone bought the Archie's but I met some1 relatively recently who casually mentioned she reads Archie comics so there is at least some anecdotal evidence that the Archie ppl aren't just running an elaborate front.

Right, I'll never forget this time I was at a local bar in my town doing my thing (my thing is doodling bullshit curled up in a corner) when an old lady comes up to me and asks me about my drawing and sits down and is sipping at her mixed drink w/e the hell it is and I'm like WELL IT'S A HOBBY I LIKE COMICS I GUESS and she's like ah, yes, as a kid I liked the Archies, I -still- like the Archies, and then she tells me about how she's (this woman is in her 60s) still building a collection of Archies where every digest has its place and presumably in her apartment or w/e they're all in some kind of color-coordinated spiral of doom and I'm like poo poo, THAT'S IMPRESSIVE

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hasn't Archie done a bunch of weird crossovers in recent years?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They did a very unironic zombie apocalypse story in recent years that's surprisingly good but don't read it if dogs dying upsets you

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They did a whole bunch of weird-rear end things leading up to the end of the original series in 2014, where they killed him off. Rebooted Archie in 2015 with a modernised look:

Supposedly the reboot's quite good, but I have no idea, never read them.

Anyway, Riverdale was conceptualised directly off the reboot:

Randallteal posted:

What's with the tagline? Are they going to pull heists?

Show's a murder mystery, at least to start with.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 16, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Show's a murder mystery, at least to start with.

Soon as I saw the "sunken boat" image at the top of that TechTimes article, I thought man they're really trying for a Twin Peaks vibe here, and welp.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Chris Knight posted:

Soon as I saw the "sunken boat" image at the top of that TechTimes article, I thought man they're really trying for a Twin Peaks vibe here, and welp.

One of the lead actors played Shelly on Twin Peaks too.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I never paid any attention to Archie as a kid or now, but in addition to the zombie comic they have also rebooted Sabrina the Teenage Witch as an actual horror story wherein Sabrina and her goofy aunts are part of a legitimately dangerous, black-magic-using, animal-sacrificing-ritual-in-the-woods witch coven. It is also surprisingly good (but the issue releases keep getting delayed, which makes me a little bit sadder every month).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

I never paid any attention to Archie as a kid or now, but in addition to the zombie comic they have also rebooted Sabrina the Teenage Witch as an actual horror story wherein Sabrina and her goofy aunts are part of a legitimately dangerous, black-magic-using, animal-sacrificing-ritual-in-the-woods witch coven. It is also surprisingly good (but the issue releases keep getting delayed, which makes me a little bit sadder every month).

Yeah, I'm kind of digging how the Zombie issues are going through the Archie cast like a buzzsaw. I need to check on that one to make sure I have the latest.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Yeah guys, they did a reboot and everyone unironically digs Archie now.

Also they made Jughead Asexual, which is hilarious.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pretty sure Jughead is a Burgsexual.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Chief posted:

Hasn't Archie done a bunch of weird crossovers in recent years?

You might say that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm surprised you didn't post the Predator one.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This album was posted on Reddit. Not sure if it's some sort of official list from the site or not, but the title is "Rotten Tomatoes best movie posters of 2016"

https://imgur.com/a/avI6I

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Gotta love their little antlers.

You should see them when they're flipped down...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The new Archie reboot comics are surprisingly good. Archie is done like a real teenage drama with pathos, Jughead is genuinely funny (written by chip zdawsky and now Ryan north), the zombies comic and Sabrina comic are creepy and we'll illustrated and written despite sometimes being horror 101 for teens, Betty & Veronica is... by Adam Hughes and features for him, a restrained amount of cheesecake, even Josie and the pussy cats is fun and reads like it's written by the target demographic rather than an adult pretending to be a kid.

Really though the only bad one is the one featuring Kevin, which tries to do the usual wacky Archie stuff but somehow makes him so promiscuous he is on grinder and hooking up with a different guy every page

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

You might say that.

Stop giving school shooters ideas

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

got any sevens posted:

I'm surprised you didn't post the Predator one.

The Predator one is legit hosed up.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Legit. Archie ends up dying, leaving only Betty and Veronica as the only surviving cast. They take the corpse of the mostly wounded Predator (who is a teenager who communicates roughly in Emojis/Smilies), hook him into a machine that Dilton invented to rebuild body parts, and remake him into a physical clone of Archie. All so that they can keep fighting over who gets to go out with him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Parasol Prophet posted:

I remember something about how eventually Sabrina will be showing up on Riverdale framed as an escapee from a witch cult.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Ravenous is an amazing movie and while I admit it's a difficult movie to advertise, the posters and media covers it's gotten range from lame to boring to terrible.

The only one that got it right in my eyes was this promo poster. Much like the classic Sorcerer poster, sometimes a screencap is all you need to set a intriguing mood indicative of the actual product.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've never seen that last one. This is the closest thing Ravenous has to a good poster and it still doesn't quite work. I'm trying to think of any other movies that impervious to marketing and am drawing a blank.

The thought did inspire me to watch the Barton Fink trailer though, but I thought they did well enough (and give waaaaaaaaaay too much away): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0WjWlVO9w

EDIT: I love this poster. Especially the gloves.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
How do you advertise a cannibalistic, dark comedy western, with homo erotic undertones?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lizard Combatant posted:

How do you advertise a cannibalistic, dark comedy western, with homo erotic undertones?

Nipples, obviously.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lizard Combatant posted:

The screenshot of Neal McDonough shirtless in a cold stream is all you need, friend.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hire the artist who does the covers for Chuck Tingle books.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I imagine Chuck photoshops them himself.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A good Ravenous poster should include the bloody steak from the dinner near the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hire the artist who does the covers for Chuck Tingle books.

POUNDED IN THE BUTT BY MY CANNIBAL FORT COMMANDER