Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Section Z posted:

I'm even more glad the Ferris wheel vote lost, now that I know how they implemented Ferris Wheel style rides in this game :v:

Care to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fishstick posted:

Care to share?

Whole lot of :spergin: about pathing mechanics incoming.

Preemptive TL:DR; The Tiny Whirly Rig and Kickflip work just great even if the teleportation looks janky, it's primarily the big wheels you see it come into play. None of this will change your ability to make money and win missions/challenges. So only read on if you want a peek under the hood of how these things work, when customers unwilling to wait 5 minutes for a 90 second thrill ride are willing to wait over 30+ minutes for a 10 minute minimum ferris wheel ride.

First of all they don't stop every so often to let people in and out of the station. They will run a full ride (606 seconds on the Radius for a single sequence, so ten minutes in that case), then bulk unload/load customers like a generic flat ride. This also means you should ensure your queue line is huge enough to handle at least 200 people, as well as ensure your maximum wait times are cranked up to handle it. Because the Radius holds about 160 people (I think I counted 40 cars?) and shuffles them through the entry gate one group at a time. (Five minutes seems to do the trick with narrow edge gates. Four minutes max wait time still left a bunch of empty cars).

Second, the customer pathing is brain dead. As no matter where you place your entrance an exit gates (So far as I've tried with a bunch of :pseudo: sandbox testing), half your customers will only want to pass through the front of the platform (side with the control booth), and half your customers will only want to pass through the back side of the platform. So the majority of gate placements means half your customers will walk a quick 12 feet between gates and platform.

Meanwhile the other half your customers will instead prefer the side of the platform that requires them to walk around the entire ride entering or leaving. If they are boarding, they will walk right past the front doors and loop to the back. If they are leaving, they will come out the doors on the opposite side of the ride as the exit. Because their pathing logic seems to be predestined towards a given side of the ride, rather than any expected "Use shortest route"

Finally, mass teleportation. Once they get to the platform (or it's time to exit), they just teleport into their respective cars. Which gives us the paradox of the worlds slowest customer changeover, despite being willing to teleport 200 feet up into the air. After all, the Radius can fit 160 people. So 80 of them are going to be ignoring the closest car doors to the entrance/exit. Because :shrug:

You can half mitigate the pathing quirk by putting a gate on each narrow end to either side of the ride. This seems silly at first because makes it that so every customer has to walk 1/4 of the way around the ride... But that's still faster than half of them walking around the entire ride instead. It still takes about 5 minutes to load everyone, but that's still better than just clicking "Max load only ever" and calling it a day gets you. It's most notable on exit, as people plop out all at once so not having half of them still need to run a lap around the ride means they leave ASAP, in a compacted brick of people on either side. Which will then expand as they poop out the tiny exit gate in a giant clump that overflows past default path edges.

Then they slowly jockey for position inch by inch to get back within the path borders. So use wide exit paths for Ferris wheels to give them room to shotgun over one hundred people out the end.

There. Much better.

Like many underlying cases of ride mechanics :doh: in this game, you can still easily beat missions or challenge mode without ever noticing because hey, you can still turn a profit in the end. Like the Developer's placement of their rocktopus in the very first pirate mission.

The Roctopus in particular, Customers refuse to walk past the control booth. So you get to watch someone immediately sit in the closest car, and their friend walk a lap around the entire ride to finally sit next to them. And then when they get off, switch.

It's particularly funny in this example, even though you can much more easily fix the rocktupus ride flow via "LOL just move your gates :downs:" (Then it loving RULES :pcgaming: it basically flipped the mission win switch for me to fix the pathing) . Due to the fact the developers themselves placed it in the worst possible position :v:

Again though, you can easily make :homebrew: despite all this. So none of this is anything to worry about for beating the game unless you really needed the money in the wallets of a few hundred customers trapped in Ferris wheel limbo for several in game days.

Note to self: See about building a Radius that exits out into a food court, gift shops, and pay toilets. Everyone comes out with maximum happiness, and devastated Energy/Hunger/Thirst/Restroom bars.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 14, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I guess buildings don't count towards Scenery ratings? How is this a 105 Scenery rated park, you jerkass peeps, I built you a clock tower :mad:

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

So I guess buildings don't count towards Scenery ratings? How is this a 105 Scenery rated park, you jerkass peeps, I built you a clock tower :mad:

Pretty sure it does, I got frustrated with that tree scenario and ended up plopping down some prefab buildings to get the required scenery score

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Dukberry posted:

Pretty sure it does, I got frustrated with that tree scenario and ended up plopping down some prefab buildings to get the required scenery score

I got lazy and ended up plopping down golden chests. They give 10 scenery rating each

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I was....less subtle

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Album full of things being added in the update tomorrow. Some decent QoL improvements and more extra than I thought would be included.

Watching the update video now. Will post my own summary of stuff.

New Rides: Collider (an Enterprise), Dodgems/Bumper Cars. Sleigh/sled tracked ride
New Train Transport Ride. "Iron Horse", a larger train with larger capacity.
Seven(!) new shops: Pizza Pen, Miss Goody's Donuts, Pipshot Health Drinks - Smoothy/water/juice (separate shops), Cosmic Cow Ice Cream, New Gulpee type (unspecified?)
Winter/Holiday Hats for the Hat Store
New Entertainer: Holiday King Coaster
Improvements to Log Flume (and rapids?) (increased control over drops and lift hills)
Arctic/Snow Biome Map.
Candyland Theme
Caroler Animatronics
Colorable Flowers :allears:

Angle of turn now displayed when laying track.

Magic Katz front reduced in size to make easier to see over (I noticed this while working on my dark ride. :v:)

New tab in the scenery/building menus that shows recently used items.

Management Improvements/QoL
More info in ride info tab (can change prices/open close)
"Ride Prestige" the appeal the ride has with guests (combo of scenery, Excite/fear/nausea, age, etc)
Age reputation. New Rides more popular, fades with age, though older rides can eventually become "classic" favorites.
Massive Staff screen Improvements. Hire/Fire, adjust wages, training, adjust rosters, etc
Shop screen improvements, can sync shop prices!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 15, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Album full of things being added in the update tomorrow. Some decent QoL improvements and more extra than I thought would be included.
The macromanagement stuff is incredibly welcome, plus bumpercars :dance:

Has there been any word on the apparent bug where peeps just don't want hats or balloons, though? Or even some way of measuring desire for a souvenir so we know when not to build gift shops?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress yeah bumper cars! Though I hope they are also added as defaults to some of the Career missions, or at least not too deep into the research trees in them.

It's nice to have new things, but it would just remind me of the discouraging bits if they, and many other new toys, were essentially only showing up in sandbox mode.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yessss those are some amazing QoL changes. :D

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Edit - should have looked at pics before assuming the sled/sleigh ride would be the coaster style.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Update is out, lots of new things!

quote:

With the weather getting colder and the holidays drawing closer, it’s the perfect time to release our all-new FREE Winter Update for you to enjoy! The Winter Update will be going live today and will automatically become available to you via a Steam update.
This seasonal gift contains the following festive treats – there is something for everyone, so check out the update notes below!

New Rides
  • Collider! The winner of our community poll with 41.57% of the votes - a retro sci-fi ride with 20 swinging gondolas on a horizontal Ferris Wheel that rises to an angle of 87 degrees.
  • Bumpin Derby; a long-time favourite has found its way into Planet Coaster! Give a fist bump to these bonkers bumper cars!
Management Improvements
  • Macro management features added; in the Attraction and Shops tab you can globally set prices, sync shops and open/close attractions.
  • There is now an ‘All Staff’ view, which lets you change their salary, training level, roster, and workload all at once!
  • You can now also place multiple staff members of the same type simultaneously in your parks!
  • Ride/Coaster prestige is now shown on the Info panel and changes with time (initially decreasing and then increasing as the ride gains classic status.) Prestige is also communicated in the form of guest thoughts and notifications.
  • A recently used tab has now been added to each browser category.
  • A delete path button makes it that it’s easier to change around your pathing!
Three new Scenarios! Festive King Coaster’s Crackers will let you earn up to nine more stars – be sure to think about your ride prestige...

New Shops
  • Cosmic Cow Ice Cream; get some actual snow cones!
  • Gulpee Soda; joining the Gulpee family!
  • Missy Good; donut worry, be happy! Missy Good’s sugary goodness will cheer you right up!
  • Pipshot; a healthy alternative to the fast food goodness – and there’s three of them! Pipshot Water, Pipshot Juice, and Pipshot Smoothie are going to blow your guests’ minds.
  • Pizza Pen; get it while it’s hot and cheesy!
Winter Theme and Scenery Objects
  • Snow/Ice Biome; it’s getting chilly in your park! Explore this beautiful Arctic biome in Sandbox or Challenge mode.
  • Snow Objects; create realistic snow-covered areas and build your own snowman!
  • Gingerbread wall set; we can’t wait to see the creative gingerbread houses you can build in-game!
  • Winter Scenery; decorate your park with a lovely Christmas tree or a caroling choir.
  • Festive King Coaster is your latest addition to the Entertainer family!
New Transport/Tracked Rides
  • Sleigh Ride; jingle all the way with these tracked snowy sliders!
  • Iron Horse; a new transport ride for your park visitors to choo around your area.
  • New Coaster Blueprints
  • Screamer (the American Arrow)
  • Lycanthrope (Werewolf)
  • The Hunt (Pioneer)
  • Frenzy (Rage)
  • Trailer Blazer (Aethon)
More – see the build notes for full details. Includes:
  • Pressing F5 now transports you back into the game rather than the menu.
  • Stability improvements
  • Balance
  • Bug fixing
We hope all of you enjoy this incredible, free Winter Update, and we’re looking forward to seeing all your winter-themed Workshop items appear. PLEASE send your creations to community@frontier.co.uk with the subject “Winter Workshop Wonderland” and you might be featured on our 24 hour long Festive Charity livestream on December 19!

Build notes with more stuff

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJFQRfxDdo

aaaaaaaa I'm gonna make a gingerbread village aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJFQRfxDdo

aaaaaaaa I'm gonna make a gingerbread village aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

clam down

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Can't believe I forgot to post the actual trailer :downs:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What does a christmas themed park do the rest of the year?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Christmas In July.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Poil posted:

What does a christmas themed park do the rest of the year?

Celebrate Christmas, dummy

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Theme parks aren't open during the off season!! This is a sham!!!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Really pushed the boat out for this patch! I had put my park on hiatus but I'm excited to get back to it. The new paintable flowers they've added are just lovely :3:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Wait paintable flowerbeds?!

:peanut:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
bumper cars are super loving popular, though I wish they'd change guests not wanting to wait in line for more than five seconds

also an icy water would have been great for this update

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 15, 2016

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Use the new recolourable icing decorations to add patterns to your building, like the trim on my performance stage:

Flowers are perfect for turning mundane objects into fun planters:

:3:

Here's the constructed performance stage and seating area:

Chances are peeps won't use this because they only ever seem to use benches if they're pathing somewhere and they come across them along the way, but it seems like a nice thing to have in a park and I had a gap to fill. Now to add the millions of bushes and shrubs to stop it from looking like a big green void! :suicide:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 15, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

aaaaaaaa so much stuff

I hope they keep adding more flat rides, RCT3 had a million of them for any theme.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
One thing I've noticed with this patch is that they've fixed people not going to certain stores. That has had some......interesting side effects for my park. This is the indoor shopping area I made

Pre-patch, it was virtually dead in there, with the only people in there forced into there since the exit from the rapids lead only to there and it's my most popular ride. Post-patch.....

And everyone I clicked on was heading to one of those stores :stare:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Being able to control all the staff at once is a godsend.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

colorable flower bushes? gently caress YES

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm gonna color-match the flowers to the vomit and build tons of them at the exits of my worst rides.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man they must have baked in some optimization passes this patch. Much more stable!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Decided to try the idea of making a workshop map that is basically an old quarry.

I am not good at terraforming. :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So remember the Great Tree scenario I was complaining about how this wasn't good enough for 'em?

I beat it!

Stuff I'm particularly proud of:

I named the coaster Dragon Roar, so here's a nice castle with sleeping dragon right by the entrance and exit. You'll notice it also doubles as a bathroom and first aid stall, because, y'know. People just got off a coaster and I don't want a mess.

Well, it's called Dragon Roar, isn't it? So when coasters zoom past after the first drop, this dragon greets them with his firey breath.

Flanked by a clock tower/ATM, a royal fountain provides a perfect backdrop for a picture with Princess Amelie. Nobody used it, though. I don't understand Entertainment Points at all. :( Also there's some spooky trees in the background, but they're for the sun riser ride.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I finally built a coaster that doesn't puree people for that goddamn Great Tree objective, with mostly consistent green EFN heatmaps... and it has 4.97 out of the required 5.00 excitement :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Build a path over a low high speed area just after a hill. The "headchopper" effect might bump the excitement. Might also bump fear though.

Alternatively increase lifthill chain speed slightly to increase overall ride speed ever slightly (it comes into the drop slightly faster).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I finally built a coaster that doesn't puree people for that goddamn Great Tree objective, with mostly consistent green EFN heatmaps... and it has 4.97 out of the required 5.00 excitement :negative:
My hangup was air time. Just bunny hop the fuckers, they love that poo poo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Flanked by a clock tower/ATM, a royal fountain provides a perfect backdrop for a picture with Princess Amelie. Nobody used it, though. I don't understand Entertainment Points at all. :( Also there's some spooky trees in the background, but they're for the sun riser ride.

Entertainment Points are for you to station an entertainer employee at. You set the Entertainment Point as a work order.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

Entertainment Points are for you to station an entertainer employee at. You set the Entertainment Point as a work order.
It's on Amelie's work order, but she has other things to do too, so she wanders. What benefit would I get from her standing still in one place?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Build a path over a low high speed area just after a hill. The "headchopper" effect might bump the excitement. Might also bump fear though.

Alternatively increase lifthill chain speed slightly to increase overall ride speed ever slightly (it comes into the drop slightly faster).

Increasing the lift chain speed bumped it from 4.97 to 6.34 :stare:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

It's on Amelie's work order, but she has other things to do too, so she wanders. What benefit would I get from her standing still in one place?

People come to her to be entertained

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Increasing the lift chain speed bumped it from 4.97 to 6.34 :stare:

One of the weaknesses of the game's EFN system is that the final stats are just a simple average of the efn across the entire ride. Thus the shorter you low excitement lift hill takes the higher the average excitement.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One of the weaknesses of the game's EFN system is that the final stats are just a simple average of the efn across the entire ride. Thus the shorter you low excitement lift hill takes the higher the average excitement.

But it says on the lift chain tooltip that chains aren't supposed to be averaged into the total EFN ratings? Is it just... wrong?