Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
someone is recording this right, this will be deleted immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

sandi whispers "its scary"

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I can hear Chris and Sandi whispering to each other easier than Ben's presentation.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I feel bad for people missing this poo poo show. This is comedy gold.

Love the whispering.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Merry Christmas Everyone.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

man I picked the right day to pay attention to star citizen again, it's like a whole year of jank thrust upon us all at once

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

i think we just heard Crobbers snort a rail....

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
sandi could make a lot of money in the ASMR biz

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

BeefThief posted:

man I picked the right day to pay attention to star citizen again, it's like a whole year of jank thrust upon us all at once

Same :lol:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
This is the worst livestream theyve ever done. And thats saying something.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
BEST CHRISTMAS EVER

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Remember, for that price you dont even have the game !

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
wait

formula one chariots

???

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

im so glad i had today off from work and im here in my pajamas watching this with some hot cocoa and it's the best christmas gift ever

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Greetings Citizen.

This past week has been a very busy one, with everyone across the company heads down with the push to get Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 released to you. The help of the Evocati has been invaluable, identifying bugs for us to smash and giving us critical game balance feedback. We had hoped to able to go to Live today but there are still some final UI elements that need to be finished and we still have a few serious bugs being tracked down and fixed.

We're circling a PTU candidate which will go to the Evocati later today, and, if this is successful, we will be pushing it out to a wider PTU test over the weekend so we aren’t too far off!

If you’re interested in the remaining tasks and how we tracked from last week please visit the project schedule page for a more detailed breakdown.

Today is our Holiday Livestream, where we will dive a bit deeper in what’s in 2.6, including showing the bigger Star Marine map in an epic faceoff between our US and EU studios!

There’s a huge amount of new functionality and content in 2.6. It represents a good portion of the last 4 months of the work that the entire company has been doing in our main development branch and moves us significantly closer towards 3.0.

Star Marine, the dedicated FPS game mode, is the big headline, but we also revamped the whole flight model in Star Citizen. This makes it more accessible for new players, but maintains nuance and complexity for veteran pilots. Eight new ships are flyable in 2.6, including the massive Caterpillar, which is a sight to behold! Arena Commander has been given some love too, with tweaks to the scoring, new pickups and VFX. There is a completely new front-end and UI that improves lobby flow for Arena Commander and Star Marine and introduces the ability to customize loadouts for your character and ships, as well as check out where you stand on the Community leaderboards. Finally, there are quite a few new missions in the mini PU, a ship graveyard to explore and a bar in Grim HEX to hang out in!

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn’t ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product. A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

Item 2.0, Subsumption AI, Subsumption Mission System and asynchronous Object Container Streaming are all core systems that will power Squadron 42. In addition, there is some significant low level animation and lighting tech that we need to finish up to realize the goal of real time player interactions and conversations at a level that would previously only be possible with pre-rendered cinematics. We want moving around and talking to the crew to be as fluid and look as good as pre-rendered cut scenes from other games.

Finally, we wanted to be able to focus the team on getting 2.6 out the door and knew we didn’t have much time left in the year to do this (as hard as it is to believe CitizenCon was only 9 weeks ago, which isn’t very long in development terms). One of the lessons we learned from the last CitizenCon was that by attempting to show both the VS and Homestead, we overloaded our pipeline. Even with a team of our size, working on two big deliverables for the same release window becomes problematic because things can take longer or turn out more complicated than expected, and when there are tricky-to-solve bugs or performance issues, we need to assign our top developers, which usually ends up being longer than we like and takes them away from core tech development, pushing back the schedule on later releases. Last year’s release of 2.0 and the 3.0 preview at Gamescom worked so well, because there was a clear priority and everyone came together with a singular focus to deliver them on the ascribed dates.

Since CitizenCon we’ve been working towards 2.6 as our priority, with Squadron 42 core tech being second priority, followed by 3.0 development. Almost all Squadron 42 core tech is also needed for 3.0 and the aspects that aren’t, like Networking, have their own team who don’t get distracted by Squadron as it’s a single player game.

So while it may be disappointing not to see something this year on Squadron 42, I believe it’s the best choice for the long term good of both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. It’s critical that we focus on finishing up the core systems we’ve designed to handle the needs of both games, as without them, other parts of the development team are blocked from finalizing key gameplay.

It is all of your support and patience that allows us to make difficult decisions like this and we greatly appreciate it as it is allowing us to create what we believe will be a very special set of games in Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.

One thing that I think helps to understand the challenges of working on such a big complex project in the open is the visibility into our internal schedules. Sharing the 2.6 schedule was an experiment that a lot of people internally were very worried about but now everyone agrees it was the right move as transparency helps build trust.

As such we will be applying the same visibility to 3.0 and ultimately Squadron 42, although it will take a little time to get them ready for public consumption. We are still in the process of finalizing sub tasks and getting updated bids on the tasks from the appropriate team members, and this in turn has been slowed down by their focus on getting 2.6 finished.

For now, please join us for the live stream to have some fun with the devs and let’s celebrate all the great stuff we have now in Star Citizen 2.6, as there’s a lot of it!
-- Chris Roberts

Never so many excuses tried to justify so much fail for such a non game.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Why are you insane hosed up idiots watching with complete focus the stream of the game you all hate? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

In the future future, they will base spaceship designs on formula one cars from 2016.

And then we'll make a video talking about it.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I am loving dying of laughter here, it's too perfect.

The way the face of the person they're suppose to cut to just appears in between them on the greenscreen is just amazing comic timing! The way they never cut to the footage they actually want is an excellent running joke. The people they cut to have no sound, or sound like they're being recorded in a trash can, but we can hear the cameraman sniffing or Sandi swearing perfectly clearly.

10/10

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

ArfJason posted:

Why are you insane hosed up idiots watching with complete focus the stream of the game you all hate? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I love it actually

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

RubberJohnny posted:

I am loving dying of laughter here, it's too perfect.

The way the face of the person they're suppose to cut to just appears in between them on the greenscreen is just amazing comic timing! The way they never cut to the footage they actually want is an excellent running joke. The people they cut to have no sound, or sound like they're being recorded in a trash can, but we can hear the cameraman sniffing or Sandi swearing perfectly clearly.

10/10

Chris is a successful movie director

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ramadu posted:

Goodness. The sound problems.

I guess you can't be toooo hard on them for the sound, even poo poo like Valve's The International and Riots Invitational had major sound problems. But they fixed that poo poo.

Valve' The International is a proper full Outside Broadcast done by professonals, this is worst than a high school av clubs junior class first attempt.

Would not suprize me if twitch ask them to stop using their platform due to them bring it into disrepute.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Why does this racing ship appear to have downforce?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Holy loving poo poo this guy's workflow?

He used to sketch up? in the loving game industrie? my god.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Chris rage quit

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

:siren: SUBSUMPTION ALERT :siren:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Guys, I've been cataloging the important stuff, Ben is wearing the same shirt as the anniversary stream. I have some images for comparison.

Today:

Last stream

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This whole stream is a ship ad.

It's fine.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Just turned on the stream and :lol:

A new ship that looks like a racecar

The world's worst greenscreen

Audio cluster

The usual Sandi "I don't give a gently caress" cue cards

Refactoring Subsumption AI

I am gonna have to go back and watch the beginning of this.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
That racing ship is literally an F1 car with the wheels taken off. Because its a space ship you see.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Please tell me this is being recorded- the version left up is likely to be edited.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

VealCutlet posted:

Guys, I've been cataloging the important stuff, Ben is wearing the same shirt as the anniversary stream. I have some images for comparison.

Today:

Last stream

wtf man there are kids reading this thread

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hahahahah did they seriously cut the vertical slice that was 3 days before being shown to the general public?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ArfJason posted:

I'm also watching project runway on the other monitor :)

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

The Vanguard Hoplite is a cross between the winning Vanguard deep space fighter and a dedicated boarding ship. Adapting the reliable design for amphibious operations, the Hoplite is the perfect tool for inserting an armored strike team with enough firepower to get them out again.

WTF, is it going to be used to storm Normandy?

Its going to board ships in a game without capture, disabling, resell or boarding mechanics. I.e Empty, unmanned ships for poo poo and giggles. .

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

quote:

I have a few friends over to watch this stream, they are not backers yet... it is not going well

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheLightPurges posted:

This is the worst livestream theyve ever done. And thats saying something.
The go to video from 2017 will be Chris Roberts Streams Star Citizen.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

ArfJason posted:

Schadenfreude

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

ArfJason posted:

it is...hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Cao Ni Ma posted:

hahahahah did they seriously cut the vertical slice that was 3 days before being shown to the general public?

Yea its officially cancelled lol