Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Scaramouche posted:

Mind if I ask what went wrong with it? They've been pretty well bullet proof for us, and we've sold a lot so it'd be good to know about potential problems down the road.

I also took that to read that 167 is the intended cup temp, especially when comparing PID boiler temperatures to in cup temperatures on a machine like the Vetrano 2b.
Internal coffee dispensing spout broke so it was leaking half of every shot down the inside of the door and onto the counter; second one I've seen for the same issue, previous one fried the water sensor for the drip tray too so it kept saying it was full when it clearly was not. Only other issues I've seen are the upper door hinge getting leaked on, corroding and snapping (3x so far) and the coffee/steam boiler over-temp NON-RESETTABLE thermostats tripping and needing replacement (4-5 times now).

The machines are heavy as gently caress and generally not fun to work on but people do seem to like them; they have the same guts as every other Gaggia super-auto though so unless you need a huge mass of chrome on your countertop there are cheaper options that will pull a similar shot. I usually recommend Saeco super-autos over Gaggia because the machines are basically the same but there's much better support for the Saeco brand in the US; I'm one of the few shops that will actually take in Gaggia machines but everybody works on Saeco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Welp, it's official, we're out of Gaggia Classics. Full pallet gone in about 2 weeks.

We're seeing a lot of interest in those Quick Mill machines I posted earlier as well as a kind of "next step up" machine from the Classic, might replace the Silvia in that respect.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

What roast does this look like to you guys

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Steve Yun posted:

If i had to hazard a guess i would say roast beans (coffee beans)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
city

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I'd say 3, looks like a dry roast. Can't really see the flecks of oil that would indicate a 4.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Steve Yun posted:

Right where I like it, which I think is a city roast / just off first crack. Beans are nicely brown and just starting to swell, but the membrane is still light coloured and obvious.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Popping in to say this thread's been a really great resource for me, twice now. Bought a Zojirushi back in 2012 per the second post's recommendation and it was (and still is!) a badass coffee maker for the price. Last week I ordered a Clever dripper and an electric kettle, which just arrived yesterday evening, and the cup I'm having right now is just delightful. :coffeepal:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's the consensus on cold brewing in here? I've seen some people raving about it saying it's the best way to make coffee, and others say it's a waste of time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you like cold brew, drink it, if you don't, don't drink it. Enjoy coffee however you like it.

e: caveat, if you ask for extra hot milk in a latte then you are demonstrably wrong. Enjoy it, but know that you're wrong.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 16, 2016

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I've never tried it before but I've just made a batch using my French press for tomorrow so I'll find out. I was just curious because I saw a nifty looking Hario cold brew device on Amazon for quite cheap and am thinking about grabbing one.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Cold brew is great for the low entry requirements and does taste drat good. I found I got tired of it quite quickly tho so I'd give it a week of brewing it in a French press before buying a device you're already perfectly replicating. If you end up wanting to do bigger batches cheesecloth and a jug is all you need, and you probably already have one of those things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a lovely blade grinder, and cold brew appears to be very forgiving of that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cold brew has a dull taste. Make the japanese style ice coffee for a bright and delicious flavor that only takes minutes to make.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Cold brew has a dull taste. Make the japanese style ice coffee for a bright and delicious flavor that only takes minutes to make.

There's a name for that? I just call it me being lazy and wanting ice coffee. I find it works well, even with not great coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I was gifted a big bag of lovely Philz coffee that tastes like burnt rear end in normal brew methods but doing the instant iced method makes it tolerable. It's also good with good coffee, especially single origin african ones.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah I use that method all the time to make iced coffee (filter hot coffee directly over ice). Didn't realise that was the "Japanese" way to do it haha.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just saw some video that called it that. I don't know if it's really japanese

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, gently caress this thread title, ever since I bookmarked it "Unbreak My Heart" keeps getting stuck in my head

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just ordered a Behmor Brazen Plus, a Baratza Encore, and a new scale for if I ever feel the urge to break out the old Chemex.

Still mulling over getting back into roasting - might end up grabbing a Behmor roaster in a couple weeks

I'm officially a coffee nerd again :iamafag:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Data Graham posted:

Man, gently caress this thread title, ever since I bookmarked it "Unbreak My Heart" keeps getting stuck in my head

Haha that's the song you think of? That's on you, dude.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Especially when Kickstart My Heart is literally an actual song.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Exactly. And I do get the Motley Crue song in my head all the time from this thread title but not unbreak my heart, that's too funny.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Could be worse. Could be Achy Breaky Heart.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh goddamn it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

TheDarkFlame posted:

Could be worse. Could be Achy Breaky Heart.

Mods???

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is not an improvement

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

:smith: i just thought it was a rhyme

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Palate cleanser time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Goddamnit

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need mail order coffee suggestions that won't break the bank-I'm done roasting for a while since I do it outside and it's too cold for that now.

I used the goon's website, MasterControl, but he ran out of a blend I liked so I'm looking for something different that will be decent without being intelligentsia or blue bottle levels of pricing.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
What's the best low-effort and/or quick way to brew? I've been bouncing between moka pot, french press, and drip brew. I haven't been able to get fast enough at the former two to justify them as the added attention/cleanup always takes too much time in the morning. Drip brew is nice and easy but it doesn't taste as nice. I've never tried any of the other ways (aeropress, cold brew) listed. Would they be better?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What do you mean by drip brew? Like a pour over? That's my favorite way because you get a nice and clean flavor with paper filters. I use the ones made from bamboo.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

What's the best low-effort and/or quick way to brew? I've been bouncing between moka pot, french press, and drip brew. I haven't been able to get fast enough at the former two to justify them as the added attention/cleanup always takes too much time in the morning. Drip brew is nice and easy but it doesn't taste as nice. I've never tried any of the other ways (aeropress, cold brew) listed. Would they be better?

Clever dripper

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Aeropress is super quick if you follow the instructions included (other than the ridiculously low water temp). Cleanup is super easy too - push the puck into the trash, wipe rinse the plunger, and you're done. It's not a bad cup of coffee either.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Gaspy Conana posted:

What's the best low-effort and/or quick way to brew?

Espresso. 15 seconds to grind, 28 seconds to pull, and you're done. :q:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

amenenema posted:

Clever dripper

Definitely

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
My wife and I want an espresso machine. We read the OP and did some research (read: watched Gail make a lot of espresso) and have come to these two options:

Rocket Espresso Cellini Premium Plus with PID: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rocket-espresso-cellini-premium-plus-with-pid

Rocket Espresso Appartamento Espresso Machine: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rocket-espresso-appartamento-espresso-machine

We want something that is going to be "worth it" and won't need to be replaced or upgraded or leave us wishing we had spent the few extra bucks. Counter space isn't an issue. We have zero experience. We make regular coffee using a French press and a cheapo Target grinder.

Should we consider other options? Which of these is recommended? I guess I don't know how temperature is controlled on the Appartamento - it looks like its just and on/off switch and you hope that the boiler temp is somewhere in the 250 deg F neighborhood. I like the idea of the PID controller but is it necessary? That seems to be the chief difference between the two, but I'm sure you guys can point out some others. We liked the heat exchanger type cause it seems like it will make it a lot faster from start to finish and we can make multiple cups without waiting / screwing with going from steam temp to brew temp and back and forth. The same can be said obviously for dual boiler machines, but those are another $1000.

As far as grinders, we liked the look of this one (...) but is this actually a good option? It has the "staff pick" logo on it so I'm guessing its at least ok, and is in the same price range as the ones listed in the OP.

Eureka Mignon Burr Grinder: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/eureka-mignon-burr-grinder

What else do I need to know? What pieces of the puzzle are we missing or not considering? What else should we consider?

Thanks!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My only gripe with the old model Rocket Cellini Premium Plus I've had since 2012 is the loud vibratory pump. It was "only" $1,400 for the machine back then so it was a bigger price jump to the rotary pumps.

It's not much more (now) to get the quieter rotary pump machines - and I will next time.

Something like the Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 which is on sale for $2,400 right now. If yer gonna spend $2,000 might as well spend $2,400 for the quieter pump.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Rocket_Evoluzione_V2_p/rge771.htm

I've never bothered with PID's you will work it out eventually just by using it a lot. I'm not a goony sperglord though and don't weight the grounds or precisely time my pours either. :colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I guess I don't know how temperature is controlled on the Appartamento - it looks like its just and on/off switch and you hope that the boiler temp is somewhere in the 250 deg F neighborhood. I like the idea of the PID controller but is it necessary? That seems to be the chief difference between the two, but I'm sure you guys can point out some others. We liked the heat exchanger type cause it seems like it will make it a lot faster from start to finish and we can make multiple cups without waiting / screwing with going from steam temp to brew temp and back and forth.
A heat exchange (or HX) boiler is a single vessel kept at steam temp with a pipe spiraling through it carrying water; it goes in one end at room temp and comes out the other end at brew temp. The exact temperature can be tweaked by adjusting the pressurestat inside the machine, but you shouldn't really need to; a PID just gives you easy access to the temperature control.

And yeah I agree with Keyser, if you're spending this kind of money spend a little more and get a rotary pump, the difference in noise is substantial. Also be aware that a machine like this has a 20+ minute warm up time before it's ready to pull a shot, and even though it's sold for home use it is made of commercial parts and this will limit your service/repair options; I'd call around in your area and make sure there's someone who can work on it or you'll be paying dearly to ship it back to Seattle or wherever you buy it from.