Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

What do you guys think the odds of Wesker being in RE7 are?
If the rumors about Wesker still being alive are true, I think it depends on how connected RE7 is to the other games. It would be weird for him to jump in and start terrorizing Ethan or Andre or any of these other people that he doesn't know. If someone like Chris is running around too though, then we might see him.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want to seem him cartwheel into the room, throw on his shades and be like "nyahhhh it all stops here, you meddling nincompoops" just to have him get his head immediately sawed off and eaten by rednecks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ethan can't even do a power bomb on super powered hillbillies. he isn't nearly ridiculous enough to handle wesker.

i wouldn't be surprised if he made an appearance like in re4, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now that I think about it, the demo implies that the Bakers believe that (Neo?) Umbrella is spying on them, which seems to suggest that at the very least they aren't on completely friendly terms. If Wesker is in the game, he could be in some kind of supporting role to Ethan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would actually be sort of amazing if after the grim texas chainsaw massacre area, it turned into balls out Resident Evil stupidness and they were hiding it all along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethan is Wesker. The entire game is merely a Wesker body clone attempting to recover Wesker's mind unknowingly. The reason it is first person is to hide this twist.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
ETA to datamined textures revealing Wesker's face?

i'd buy him dinner

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Ethan is Wesker. The entire game is merely a Wesker body clone attempting to recover Wesker's mind unknowingly. The reason it is first person is to hide this twist.
I think I'd unironically love this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who liked RE2 but hasn't played it since it came out, why exactly do people have such a huge boner for it? The first one has always been the most memorable to me. I enjoyed every single one until 6 but most of the pre RE4 games just blend together for me these days. I don't remember 2 really standing out next to 3 and CV.

I'll have to grab it on Vita one of these days and give it another assessment.

For me it was the sheer amount of content and just the right amount of difficulty. There's 4 storylines (Leon A/Claire B, Claire A/Leon B) + Hunk + Tofu (which I never actually unlocked). It was easy enough for me to beat, and you got rewards for speed-running it. Meanwhile I found Resident Evil 1 to be practically impenetrable. It was just too hard for me, and as a result I never beat it. Then the director's cut came out and that was even harder so, yeah.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 15, 2016

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I liked Code Veronica but then I got to the mansion and there were bandersnatches jumping all over the place and I turned the game off and never played it again because I'm the world's biggest wuss when it comes to spooky games.

Edit: likewise for 2 when you see the licker crawl past the window

and 1 when the dogs smash through the windows into the hallway

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who liked RE2 but hasn't played it since it came out, why exactly do people have such a huge boner for it?
Various reasons, but mainly it's because it had four scenarios (as massive deal back in 1998), was a huge hit that everyone and his dog eventually played back in some form in the day, and then it was also the easiest of the classics so more players actually saw the whole thing through and have much fonder memories of the experience, rather than giving up against the onslaught of Hunters or Nemesis duels or GODDAMNIT loving PLANE TYRANT etc.

Also please don't canonically bring Wesker back leave him be (as a headless melted charcoal lava corpse somewhere in Africa).

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

so the game ends with putting on shades in first person and then fading to black

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Frankston posted:

I liked Code Veronica but then I got to the mansion and there were bandersnatches jumping all over the place and I turned the game off and never played it again because I'm the world's biggest wuss when it comes to spooky games.

Edit: likewise for 2 when you see the licker crawl past the window

and 1 when the dogs smash through the windows into the hallway

I still remember the night my parents brought RE1 home. Mom was expecting it to be something more along the lines of Phantasmagoria, a spooky adventure game, but instead she got that dog hallway and let out a scream before she died.

Then dad tried the game and he started as Chris and got killed by the first zombie

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Len posted:

I still remember the night my parents brought RE1 home. Mom was expecting it to be something more along the lines of Phantasmagoria, a spooky adventure game, but instead she got that dog hallway and let out a scream before she died.

Then dad tried the game and he started as Chris and got killed by the first zombie
Reminds me of watching my mother trying to get to grips with SMB Lost Levels back in 93/94. "Oh this is poo poo, why did you want this for Christmas?" were her words.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I wonder if that's actually going to be from a flashback. The wall behind her kinda looks like that cramped safe room under the stairs.

Yeah, that was kind of my thought too. Though it seems unlikely they'd design a character model for her to appear in all of one scene.

Kibayasu posted:

RE2 also had infinitely better voice acting and cutscenes, for the time, then RE1. Staggeringly so. And as much as people may harp on gameplay over everything else that poo poo still matters a lot and probably mattered even more back then. It's also much, much easier then RE1, outside of maybe the final Mr X fight who can kill in two attacks, so a lot more people were probably able to finish it.

Then they got to hear that sweet butt rock at the end of the B game.

Yeah, RE2 was pretty much the same game as RE1 but a lot more polished, which is why people remember it so fondly.

As for the voice acting specifically.... yeah, yeah I guess you're right. Most of the characters come off as creepy, stilted, and off-putting when I stop to think about it, like Irons or the gun shop owner. Then again, Irons is supposed to make the player feel uncomfortable, and the gun shop owner only gets weird with Claire (where it's implied he's kind of a goony perv), so it makes a certain amount of sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Backhand posted:

Yeah, that was kind of my thought too. Though it seems unlikely they'd design a character model for her to appear in all of one scene.

They did the same thing in Degeneration. There's something like a ten-second flashback at one point of Leon and Claire in their RE2 outfits. Some poor jerk spent a couple of days modeling for that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wanderer posted:

They did the same thing in Degeneration. There's something like a ten-second flashback at one point of Leon and Claire in their RE2 outfits. Some poor jerk spent a couple of days modeling for that.

Given some of the CGI in Degeneration they probably used the same models from RE2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Neither of them are amazing now, but RE2 was a pretty big step up from RE1 in the graphic detail department at the time too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Electromax posted:

Neither of them are amazing now, but RE2 was a pretty big step up from RE1 in the graphic detail department at the time too.

Speaking as someone who still has a CRT hooked up, RE2 still looks great today (Gamecube version) whilst RE1 looks like garbage. The environments are so much more detailed in the second one by comparison.

Both look awful on an HD display though.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Electromax posted:

The game opened with you being attacked by like seven zombies in the first area because the original game had a hard limit of no more than three (roughly human sized) models on screen at a time. It's why Chris/Barry evaporates in the opening of the game and why Wesker tells Barry to gently caress off/shoots Rebecca before going to see the Tyrant. It's pretty funny when you realize it was an engine limitation.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhQrp5Bhhk

Hype

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God I thought REmake was like 2006 and I'm feeling loving old.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The original RE was only 6 years old when REmake was made (which is now 14 years old).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I have to say, nothing undoes the mounting dread and twitchy unease of a dilapidated old murder house quite like the rage inducing effort involved in making that rear end in a top hat ghost giggle for the fifth loving time. :argh:

I sure hope old man Baker doesn't mind me borrowing his tv.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 16, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caidin posted:

I have to say, nothing undoes the mounting dread and twitchy unease of a dilapidated old murder house quite like the rage inducing effort involved in making that rear end in a top hat ghost giggle for the fifth loving time. :argh:
I'm not sure what the actual trigger is, but when the giggler giggled for me I had the key in the backdoor BUT DID NOT GO THROUGH IT, and had just been running the VHS tape and then immediately running to the doll and looking at it. If no giggle, I ran the VHS again. Eventually I got the giggle- hope this helps.

Of course this method involves having to hear Pete ask Clancy if he saw where Andre went even more times. I understand if your sanity can only take so much of something so un-loving-believable. It's the last time I work with that guy.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 16, 2016

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I'm not sure what the actual trigger is, but when the giggler giggled for me I had the key in the backdoor BUT DID NOT GO THROUGH IT, and had just been running the VHS tape and then immediately running to the doll and looking at it. If no giggle, I ran the VHS again. Eventually I got the giggle- hope this helps.

Of course this method involves having to hear Pete ask Clancy if he saw where Andre went even more times. I understand if your sanity can only take so much of something so un-loving-believable. It's the last time I work with that guy.

I'm giving up on it until it's patched, if they even bother to do so. drat coin probably only gets you another dummies finger in the main game anyway.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Caidin posted:

I'm giving up on it until it's patched, if they even bother to do so. drat coin probably only gets you another dummies finger in the main game anyway.

Has it been confirmed if demo stuff transfers to the main game? Cuz all that effort for that is a bit of a letdown

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It has been confirmed you use them for upgrade money in the final game, so at most you are probably looking at getting a gun a bit early or realistically a green herb or something. I want to get it but it really felt like a pain in the rear end when I tried last night and gave up.

Yes it's supposed to transfer to the final game though. Just the old coin not the other stuff.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so is the game looking good, with the demo and all

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

No but it will be interesting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The demo made me really concerned about the combat in the main game. I will still give it a chance though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What combat there was I liked alright in the demo, but elements like being actively hunted by the bakers or ammo crafting or resource management in general aren't really present for the judging. It does promise the spectacle of a clan of hillbillies acting like Mr. X if that sounds appealing.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

At least the grenade launcher seems to have been confirmed by PSMUK. So, if it's really like the classic REs, you can just use that to steamroll instead of participating in the combat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RE7 will be so bad that Gun Survivor will be considered good and we'll be discussing how RE6 was truly the pinnacle of the franchise.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 17, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A lot of us like RE6 here. I don't think anyone would call it the best at anything except maybe Mercenaries (And I think there's at least one person that believes RE5's was better), but there's definitely stuff to like in that game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not that I'm saying the combat will be good, but judging it entirely based on a demo with no actual combat seems like jumping the gun (hur hur). Yeah you can shoot the mold monster but it's not even a regular enemy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
RE5 was the pinnacle in terms of gameplay and graphics if you ask me, but RE6's campaigns were hella fun with buddies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just messing, I will admit I've seen nothing that impresses me but I'll wait till the game is out and watch some streams.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Question: Do we know if 7's control scheme will be similar to the last few games (4,5,6)? Is it essentially RE 1 but with RE 4 controls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna play like a standard FPS only slow and you can't aim for poo poo if the demo is any indication