Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I remember trolling him (VAC) mercilessly on irc circa 1998. He was a real stinker then and i bet he still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

mennoknight posted:

I remember trolling him (VAC) mercilessly on irc circa 1998. He was a real stinker then and i bet he still is.

Whaaaaaat :allears:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Update: The Blinding Dark is easily my favourite album of 2016, and I've also been playing Northern Light - an album I'd never really paid attention to - on repeat. Thank you, Electro-industrial thread.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Failed Nihilist posted:

Does Velvet Acid Christ get much love here? I love most of his music, but his FB posting makes him sound sort of whiny. He said he left Metropolis because they weren't promoting him enough. Any truth to that?

Love VAC, and I'm completely not sure what to make of his facebook. On one hand I feel bad an artist I like is struggling on the other hand he threatens to quit every other week. I get that industrial probably isn't the best playing gig but goddamn, get your poo poo together.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

I remember him being whiny and constantly contradictory on Side-Line forums, getting banned eventually.

Pretty sure I remember him being known for being whiney on the sonic state (a site about synthesizers and electronic music gear, not specific to industrial music) forums way way back in the day. 1999/2000-ish?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's before my time but I think he's 'known' for constantly changing his mind re: analogue vs. VAs vs. softsynths.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
VAC also seems to blame all his problems on Fukishima/chemtrails/Brexit/the illuminati/some dog that bit him when he was 3. Resulting in said threat to quit every 72 hours.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is this the Justice thread?

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
So I just got back from a Skold show. They put on a pretty good show, but I think it's the only act I've ever seen that didn't have an encore. They played an hour long set and Tim Skold just said "That's all you get." I assumed it was a joke, but nope, the house lights came up and everyone left.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SacrificialGoat posted:

So I just got back from a Skold show. They put on a pretty good show, but I think it's the only act I've ever seen that didn't have an encore. They played an hour long set and Tim Skold just said "That's all you get." I assumed it was a joke, but nope, the house lights came up and everyone left.

To be honest I'd be happy if bands all did this, just played for longer and then hosed off without the need for some tedious interlude of the audience clapping and wooping for them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ronan announced during the VNV set something along the lines of, "this is normally where bands would walk off the stage and pretend to be waiting for cheers to get loud enough ... we're just going to keep playing!"

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

Ronan announced during the VNV set something along the lines of, "this is normally where bands would walk off the stage and pretend to be waiting for cheers to get loud enough ... we're just going to keep playing!"

While I'm not a huge fan of their stuff Ronan has always struck me as being a good egg.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah that's basically how I feel about it ... he has great presence. I kind of 'grew out of them' for lack of a better phrase, but it's hard to spend an evening at one of their shows and not leave in a great mood.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Isn't someone in this thread in Cardinal Noire? If so, are you the Protectorate guy or the other one?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Isn't someone in this thread in Cardinal Noire? If so, are you the Protectorate guy or the other one?

It's W424 and he is the Protectorate guy iirc. He hasn't posted ITT in a while though

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
While not industrial themselves, Puscifer released a special remix LP and its got a handful of super creative people on there. It covers a lot of ground stylistically. I mean, Lead Into Gold right out the gate! Also the Baseck remix is obscenely well done.

Get it here.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The other one.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

spider_ross.avi posted:

While not industrial themselves, Puscifer released a special remix LP and its got a handful of super creative people on there. It covers a lot of ground stylistically. I mean, Lead Into Gold right out the gate! Also the Baseck remix is obscenely well done.

Get it here.

Barker's been part of Puscifer's tour personnel and remixed Vagina Mine a while back too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfm9y7ao_g

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://www.meraluna.de/de/line-up/

M'era Luna just posted their lineup for next year and so far it looks like a hell of a party!

edit: a portion of their lineup, not necessarily the whole thing

edit2: gently caress yeah I've never seen Ashbury Heights, Cruxshadows or White Lies live

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Welp finally the excuse I needed to visit Germany.

I'm serious.

That'd clear Project Pitchfork and Ashbury Heights from my bucket list. Was literally waiting for a line-up with them both on it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah I'm digging that M'Era Luna lineup as well. Maybe we'll meet there.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The new Covenant -is- pretty good and I'm actually not a fan of them usually.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Pigface played their 25th anniversary show days ago and I went. It loving ruled! Dead Voices On Air, as well as Ruby, opened.
Over 20 songs played, and this included En Esch playing "Godlike", the singer for Gravity Kills coming out and playing "Guilty" and Groovie Mann came out and they did "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan"!

Show can be streamed for $5 here, money goes to charity:

http://www.pigface25.com (it's worth it trust me)

Setlist here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNSnyUoAEzg/

"Suck" was played last, ignore that at least.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If the lineup for Electrixmas wasn't good enough already, Spark! have just announced (assuming I'm reading google translate right) that they're playing at the afterparty. loving YES! So ready to go to Sweden and party hard!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
My reviews of on-topic stuff, specifically Makoto Kino (repetitious drone pop) and Foretaste (EBMers gone synthpop). Tetrolugosi are cheesy goths but the keyboards and theremin sound works well I thought. A.D. Mana is not great yet, basically needs to learn to mix then he'll be better.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm seeing Project Pitchfork in Hanover tomorrow

:hellyeah:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Electrixmas was great. All the bands were good, best set I've ever heard from Covenant (Figure head, Stalker AND Edge of Dawn), Wulfband were mental and incredible.

Also at the afterparty, I briefly ended up in a proper Swedish EBM moshpit during Spark!'s set :getin:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
A new album from Marc Heal (Cubanate) came out a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty great, there is some really good storytelling going on there.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Through a series of regrettable youtube reccommendations, I have discovered that Russian rockabilly EBM is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bBb8_D7sJI

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I picked up Front 242's 1993 duo gently caress UP EVIL/EVIL OFF at a used record store the other day. These albums... aren't very good, are they? I'm trying to place myself in the timeframe they were released in to be fairer:

* The current NIN album was Broken. TDS was next year.
* The current FLA album was TNI. Millennium was also 1994 (I could have sworn it was 93)
* Skinny Puppy's Last Rights came out in 1992
* KMFDM's ANGST came out the same year

Even with grading on a curve, these two albums seem awfully generic. The first one at least sort of sounds like an updated F242 sound, but if you hadn't told me Evil Off was by them I would never have guessed. Not a shock that they kind of fizzled out after that.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I love Up Evil, but I can't remember the last time I listened to evil off. Up Evil is a grower, give it time.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Evil Off is one of their best albums, IMO. For context, Front 242 had been getting a bit stale in my opinion. Up Evil changed the feel in a good way, but I think every song was improved by the way they deconstructed them in Evil Off. ("Melt" is the only track I really dug from Up Evil, fwiw.)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mennoknight posted:

I love Up Evil, but I can't remember the last time I listened to evil off. Up Evil is a grower, give it time.
I think you are right. After listening to it a few more times (without immediately following it with Evil Off) some of the tracks stand out more.

Wizchine posted:

Evil Off is one of their best albums, IMO. For context, Front 242 had been getting a bit stale in my opinion. Up Evil changed the feel in a good way, but I think every song was improved by the way they deconstructed them in Evil Off. ("Melt" is the only track I really dug from Up Evil, fwiw.)
... but Evil Off still doesn't do much for me. I can maybe agree that they were starting to get stale, but I can't remember a single track from this album when I'm done listening to it :shrug:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

david_a posted:

I think you are right. After listening to it a few more times (without immediately following it with Evil Off) some of the tracks stand out more.

... but Evil Off still doesn't do much for me. I can maybe agree that they were starting to get stale, but I can't remember a single track from this album when I'm done listening to it :shrug:

Heh. Different strokes and all that.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I think Up Evil is one the best 242 albums but never got into Evil Off very much.

The remix album Mut@ge Mix@ge is definitely worth checking out too.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 19, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Wizchine posted:

Heh. Different strokes and all that.
Probably depends a lot on your personal history with the band too. I have four of their albums - Front by Front I got probably 19 years ago, but Tyranny <For You> and these other two I got this year. Since I missed the four albums prior to Front by Front their sound hasn't gotten much chance to become stale for me. Maybe Evil Off will grow on me too over time.

Part of it is also that I find it's much harder to give an album a second shot as I get more and more of them. Back in high school, every album I bought was a Big Deal because I had so few of them. I would memorize the track listings and obsessively pour over the CD booklets. All of them would get lots of play even if they didn't initially grab me that much, because there was probably something novel about them compared to the limited experiences I had at that point. I doubt I'll ever have an experience like buying FLA's Implode again. It was the first FLA album I got, and based on Amazon's RealPlayer audio snippets I knew it was going to be both completely awesome and unlike anything else I owned. Nowadays if an album doesn't click much after 1-2 listens it might be years before I give it another try.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Big Skinny Puppy tribute comp on Soundcloud, including excellence from bands like Leaether Strip, Volt 9000, mindfluxfuneral, and Cardinal Noire.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At least half those mentioned bands post here! Hope there's Dead When I Found Her too.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

At least half those mentioned bands post here! Hope there's Dead When I Found Her too.

Do you mean like

5 Dead When I Found Her - Kill to Cure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Honestly I'll never be able to listen to an industrial tribute against after some of those awful Cleopatra comps.