Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is it usually worth upgrading NPs? I have a second Euryale and Medea. Euryale's NP looks devastating against male Saber-class enemies and 300% for the upgrade looks nice. No idea on Medea and I haven't had much luck/opportunity stripping buffs with Medea.

Edit: Is there a good time to unlock the other Mystic Codes? I notice they're level 50 so I'm wary of spending 40 AP to see just how outclassed I am even with a good support.

Edit 2: If I'm reading this right, star generation is the amount of stars that attacks generate, and absorption is when the stars are assigned to attacks, higher absorption = more crits?

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The higher the NP level, the better the NP's main effect. The only times when it's technically not worth it is debuff only NPs like Waver or Stheno since Rare Prisms exist now.

Also you can only use one of a Servant anyways (not counting Support) so no reason not to upgrade.

The Mystic Code battles are pretty drat easy. And yes, that's how stars work.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I also beaten the hardest challenge with taunt + berserker team if you ever get high star berseker. It requires high akill lv though

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, the lower your average Servant star levels are, the more useful Berserkers are.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
30 quartz for everyone? Sweet, that's like 10 mana prisms right there

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't care about Merlin, give me a goddamn 5 star Lancer already

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

30 quartz for everyone? Sweet, that's like 10 mana prisms right there

More like 14, since we're guaranteed a 3* servant and a gold card craft essence

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I don't care about Merlin, give me a goddamn 5 star Lancer already

Enkidu! His damage is pretty lame, but he lives forever!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm tempted to ask for money for Christmas to buy Quartz with for the New Years gacha.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is there a cap on AP? I'm sitting on 400 from taking advantage of the half-AP cost for story quests and have been grinding through levels.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can keep gaining ap as much as you have apples you want to spend but you stop gaining it in intervals once you go over the base limit that your level sets.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I suspected as much. Just hadn't been paying attention to my AP and 400 looked like it may have been a cap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh, this (I think) second to last fight in Camelot is a pain in the rear end. It seems like it's only weak to Casters (but Casters don't resist him - only Avengers seem to). He just has so much HP. The closest I got to winning was when I tried to run Waver - Jeanne - Tamamo Caster in order to block his NP, heal a bunch, and hit his weakness, but I still only got him to around 1/2 HP doing that (partly because he heals himself this time around). Granted, this is partly because I hosed up with the timing of Jeanne's NP (I used Waver's at the same time, which made his NP come one turn later and prevented me from being able to shield against it), though even then I think I would have slowly lost due to attrition.

edit: I might try replacing Tamamo with a more offensive-oriented single-target NP Caster for damage, though I'm concerned that I might not be able to fill up Jeanne's NP in time to block all the boss's NPs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What are you fighting? The only big bosses I can think of near the end are the Round Table knights, and their gimmicks are:

Gawain: Super High Defense
Lancelot: Is Secretly A Ruler
Tristan: Is Weak To Sabers
Mordred: Always Full NP

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just had Angra basically solo the fight with 6 Berserker Ushiwakamarus because his Kairi CE just kept reviving him. Something like 6 or 7 times in a row.

He's my bro forever now. You and me Angra, we're going to the top.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

What are you fighting? The only big bosses I can think of near the end are the Round Table knights, and their gimmicks are:

Gawain: Super High Defense
Lancelot: Is Secretly A Ruler
Tristan: Is Weak To Sabers
Mordred: Always Full NP

Ah, sorry the big robot version of the grail monster thing that heals itself for 100000 and 10000 sometimes. I was wrong about it being near the end; I assumed it was since the fight chain gave a grail. I ended up using the command seals resurrection to win.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:toot:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Started the Camelot chapter aaaand I get smushed in the first battle. Time to farm those mana prisms.

Edit: Oh god, ascension items don't always drop.

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Argas posted:

Started the Camelot chapter aaaand I get smushed in the first battle. Time to farm those mana prisms.

I reached the same point too. Time to grind like mad!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Argas posted:

I feel like I spent a week in Okeanos farming plumes because I figured Nero might make for decently better stall than Proto-Cu.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Argas posted:

To my shame, I used a lot of Quartz-revivals in Camelot and Babylon.

And yeah, grinding Ascension items is the worst. Here's a google doc that might help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_SlTjrVRTgHgfS7sRqx4CeJMqlz687HdSlYqiW-JvQA/edit?usp=drive_web

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just had Angra basically solo the fight with 6 Berserker Ushiwakamarus because his Kairi CE just kept reviving him. Something like 6 or 7 times in a row.

He's my bro forever now. You and me Angra, we're going to the top.

I love that dumb CE so much. Throwing it on Raikou was what carried me through the Gil fight in the Nero event.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I find grinding ascension items so tedious that I prefer to wait for events that have what I want in the store. Any Servant that needs something in the meantime is poo poo outta luck.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I find grinding ascension items so tedious that I prefer to wait for events that have what I want in the store. Any Servant that needs something in the meantime is poo poo outta luck.

Same, and i rarely run out of ascension items anyway. Events tend to be pretty generous, so ascension materials are only a problem if you want to max out several skills at the same time

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

Same, and i rarely run out of ascension items anyway. Events tend to be pretty generous, so ascension materials are only a problem if you want to max out several skills at the same time

I find that if you do the events that you generally have enough ascension items to fully ascend at least one 5* that uses that item (with some left over for skills). I've mainly just run into problems with items that I've needed on multiple servants that haven't dropped that often from story quests, like these knight medal things (a few more and I can fully ascend Lancelot Saber).

Regarding grails, is it generally a better idea to spend them on getting useful 4* servants to level 90 (since I think it only takes 2?) versus the 5 it takes it get something from 90 to 100? I'm thinking the first thing I might grail is my Saber Lancelot once I get him to 80, because he seems really useful and the extra versatility of having another servant with almost-5* stats seems greater than just making one of my existing 5*'s be a little stronger.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding grails, is it generally a better idea to spend them on getting useful 4* servants to level 90 (since I think it only takes 2?) versus the 5 it takes it get something from 90 to 100? I'm thinking the first thing I might grail is my Saber Lancelot once I get him to 80, because he seems really useful and the extra versatility of having another servant with almost-5* stats seems greater than just making one of my existing 5*'s be a little stronger.

The main rule of thumb for grails is to never grail for stats. Grail your waifu and/or husbando. Grails are for love, not minmaxing

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Grail Ascension does not give nearly enough stats to actually be worth considering unless you are a completely OCD min-maxer.

Just grail your favorite, that's the whole point of the system.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

The main rule of thumb for grails is to never grail for stats. Grail your waifu and/or husbando. Grails are for love, not minmaxing

I know this is true for 5* servants, but don't 4* and 3* ones gain quite a bit of stats from 70/80-90+? In particular 3* seem like they would generally be hamstrung by their low stats against higher level content if you didn't grail them some.

I think I'll go with Lancelot, since part of why I wanted to grail him, great skills aside, is that I like his card portrait.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It's case by case.

Btw, here's a tier list guide. Don't worry about the score, just think of it as how many percentage of the game they will be useful X 10

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nyaa posted:

It's case by case.

Btw, here's a tier list guide. Don't worry about the score, just think of it as how many percentage of the game they will be useful X 10

Lancer Artoria shows up twice in that list!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Ytlaya posted:

Lancer Artoria shows up twice in that list!
Got to score the horse too.

That's one fine horse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I know this is true for 5* servants, but don't 4* and 3* ones gain quite a bit of stats from 70/80-90+?

Not particularly. No matter how high you raise their level, the majority of 4* and below servants will never surpass a 5*.

There is seriously, seriously, seriously zero point in trying to grail for stats. Enemies aren't hard enough, you get more bang for your buck out of buffs, and if you were going to use a non 5*, you were going to use them for their skills/NP so stats didn't matter anyways.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rider Mordred is cute, but somehow Saber Mordred is even cuter. Seriously, why is the foul-mouthed Saberface so adorable?

Argas fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 20, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I grailed EMIYA to 90 since I like EMIYA.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Argas posted:

Rider Mordred is cute, but somehow Saber Mordred is even cuter. Seriously, why is the foul-mouthed Saberface so adorable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sea_pUoczag

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

12/22 "Start of the final battle"

Get ready

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Must. Finish. For. 30. Quartz.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Bholder posted:

Must. Finish. For. 30. Quartz.

I just did this last night. And hopefully used up all my bad rolls, spending ~80 Quartz with nothing more than a half dozen 4* CE to show for it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Huh I got enough quartz for another 10-roll (hoping for Quetzcoatl) and got Arjuna from it. Apparently not a very great 5*, but I like his design so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Arjuna's fine. Has three Arts cards like EMIYA and he gens plenty of stars as well, and is also relatively tanky since his NP up is also a long duration HoT.

Also, while he has an AoE NP, it a) has a chance of instant death and b) is def down.