Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Mine was $60 to ship 4 albums :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The cynical side of me says that you'll be able to buy digital/CD versions after the holiday rush. At least I hope so :(

I have a turntable for cheap-rear end 80s schlock and old school country. If I'm gonna buy something on that awful format I don't want to spend real money on it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Vince MechMahon posted:

Where do you live? Country wise, that is.
Actually I figured it out, seems to be an odd glitch. Deviations 1 costs me ~$9 to ship. But if I add the Digital/"Physical Component" edition of Not The Actual Events to the order, shipping jumps up to $30. If I order the latter by itself, shipping is free :iiam:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Might be something to do with package dimensions or something wacky like that, who knows.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

david_a posted:

The cynical side of me says that you'll be able to buy digital/CD versions after the holiday rush. At least I hope so :(

I have a turntable for cheap-rear end 80s schlock and old school country. If I'm gonna buy something on that awful format I don't want to spend real money on it.

Can I ask why you think it's an awful format? I'm not audiophile, but most of my records sound real good, plus they look cool.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly vinyl had a huge resurgence this year. People just started buying it more I feel. Hell I bought my first 2 vinyls this year.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If people aren't buying CDs or even digital downloads anymore they're sure as poo poo not buying vinyl in any large numbers. 90% of your potential audience is hipsters who would never be caught dead listening to Nine Inch Nails anyway.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

TR's old. Old dudes dig vinyl.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Apparently vinyl sales were at decades' long high this year and earned more money than streaming.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/16/vinyl-sales-record-store-day/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's some interesting stuff on the nin.com discography page. Looks like Trent's trying to get some re-releases done.
  • Quake 1 Soundtrack: "We are working on making this available!"
  • Prick: "We’re working on getting this available again!"
  • Closure: "Currently out of print."
  • And All That Could Have Been: "Also a video which is probably out of print – working on it."
  • Beside You In Time: "The video portion exists somewhere."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vince MechMahon posted:

Can I ask why you think it's an awful format? I'm not audiophile, but most of my records sound real good, plus they look cool.
Well:
* It's a complete pain to flip sides all the time. If the album was designed for vinyl it's one thing, but I had one where they had to split it on two LPs for length and the sides were like 15 minutes.
* Sound quality is mediocre
* Player/albums both require regular cleaning and/or maintenance
* Expensive

I only have one because I got the player for free (although I did have to get it serviced) and I find rooting through LPs at a record store somehow entertaining.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Vinyl is just hideously impractical. It does look and feel super nice though. I think it's a genuine loss that we generally no longer consume music in a way that involves big album artwork and liner notes. But that's the only advantage I really see. I just don't hear a positive difference compared to lossless digital formats.

I'm glad it's available for people who want it, but whenever an artist releases something only on vinyl because "Thats How It's Meant To Be Experienced" I can't help rolling my eyes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Any vinyl that doesn't come with a high quality digital version is doing it wrong, because yes, it is impractical. Also yes, I can see why flipping would be annoying if you were doing other things away from the player at the time. The sound quality is heavily reliant on your player and speakers, so because you get a free player that then needed service, my guess is it's somewhere on that end, not the format itself. I've never once had to do any cleaning or maintenance on my player, and unless you're leaving the records themselves out where they can get covered in dust they don't really need much done to them either, maybe a quick dusting if you're noticing an impact on them. They are expensive in a lot of cases though, yeah, but they're a prestige collectors thing. Basically if should be for stuff you love and want to have a big rear end version of the art work for.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Megazver posted:

Apparently vinyl sales were at decades' long high this year and earned more money than streaming.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/16/vinyl-sales-record-store-day/

More money than ad-supported free streaming which isn't a high bar to clear. Last time I listened to an album on Spotify free I made it through the whole thing without hearing a single ad.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Any vinyl that doesn't come with a high quality digital version is doing it wrong, because yes, it is impractical. Also yes, I can see why flipping would be annoying if you were doing other things away from the player at the time. The sound quality is heavily reliant on your player and speakers, so because you get a free player that then needed service, my guess is it's somewhere on that end, not the format itself. I've never once had to do any cleaning or maintenance on my player, and unless you're leaving the records themselves out where they can get covered in dust they don't really need much done to them either, maybe a quick dusting if you're noticing an impact on them. They are expensive in a lot of cases though, yeah, but they're a prestige collectors thing. Basically if should be for stuff you love and want to have a big rear end version of the art work for.

Basically this. CDs are unnecessarily restrictive compared to high-quality lossless audio files, which can far exceed the 44KHz 16-bit limit that was state-of-the-art for digital audio in the '80s, but not so much now. (Not that you're likely to hear much of a difference, but that's a tired digression.) In the early days of monetized downloadable music, I always preferred CDs because they were lossless and therefore the highest quality possible. But now that some artists are releasing 96KHz lossless digital downloads, CDs are no longer the audiophile's dream format. But I still like physical products. And vinyls look way cooler than CDs. So if I'm gonna insist on a physical product, might as well go all the way. It is indeed massively impractical, but it's impractical in kind of a cool, fun way. And as long as a digital download is offered with it, it's a win-win, because it's not like I ever actually listen to CDs anymore.

And of course there's all the audiophile stuff about how technically vinyl is analog and that's always theoretically better than digital. And how it's basically impossible to "brickwall" a vinyl master (for fear of ruining the needle) so occasionally a vinyl master is actually better than the digital one. But these are things that don't always necessarily make any perceptible difference, especially since almost everything goes through a digital process before it gets anywhere near the vinyl anyway.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 19, 2016

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Entropic posted:

Vinyl is just hideously impractical. It does look and feel super nice though. I think it's a genuine loss that we generally no longer consume music in a way that involves big album artwork and liner notes. But that's the only advantage I really see. I just don't hear a positive difference compared to lossless digital formats.

I'm glad it's available for people who want it, but whenever an artist releases something only on vinyl because "Thats How It's Meant To Be Experienced" I can't help rolling my eyes.

VinceMechMahon posted:

It's only as impractical as you feel like it is; I happen to think that it's a unique medium to experience apart from whatever record you're playing. You can also look at the same painting on a bunch of different computer monitors but there is no denying that it is a different (not necessarily better or worse, not necessarily "meant to be") experience to see that painting on a canvas in a physical space with your body. I think it happens to be pretty impressive technology as well, considering how delicate yet reliably mass produced it is. And sure, big artwork and reading material. But it's more than a fetish object, though a large percentage of its audience does treat it as such. It's just analog! Join us in the vinyl thread if you really want to get right into a can of worms :)

Is the site down for anyone else? Since having read about the reissues on here, I haven't been able to load either nin.com or store.nin.com. I haven't been a reliable fan for the last record and really any of the soundtrack work... I kind of quietly got off the bandwagon after Ghosts. But the Fragile material has got me excited, and I wouldn't not pick up a couple of the album reissues.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

1000 umbrellas posted:

It's only as impractical as you feel like it is; I happen to think that it's a unique medium to experience apart from whatever record you're playing. You can also look at the same painting on a bunch of different computer monitors but there is no denying that it is a different (not necessarily better or worse, not necessarily "meant to be") experience to see that painting on a canvas in a physical space with your body. I think it happens to be pretty impressive technology as well, considering how delicate yet reliably mass produced it is. And sure, big artwork and reading material. But it's more than a fetish object, though a large percentage of its audience does treat it as such. It's just analog! Join us in the vinyl thread if you really want to get right into a can of worms :)

Is the site down for anyone else? Since having read about the reissues on here, I haven't been able to load either nin.com or store.nin.com. I haven't been a reliable fan for the last record and really any of the soundtrack work... I kind of quietly got off the bandwagon after Ghosts. But the Fragile material has got me excited, and I wouldn't not pick up a couple of the album reissues.

The site has been up and down for the last couple days since the announcement.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

1000 umbrellas posted:

Is the site down for anyone else? Since having read about the reissues on here, I haven't been able to load either nin.com or store.nin.com.

Currently they're both accessible, but for a few days I was only able to load store.nin.com from my phone (when I turned off WiFi) for some reason.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Currently they're both accessible, but for a few days I was only able to load store.nin.com from my phone (when I turned off WiFi) for some reason.

store.nin.com is run separately from the main site, so you should always be able to get to the store even if the main site is down. They might've been getting hammered from the news.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Checked back in this morning and was able to grab the Deviations record!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sleepwalkers posted:

store.nin.com is run separately from the main site, so you should always be able to get to the store even if the main site is down. They might've been getting hammered from the news.

Oh I know, it's just strange that I could only access it off my home network. Some weird DNS glitch I guess. It's okay now though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh I know, it's just strange that I could only access it off my home network. Some weird DNS glitch I guess. It's okay now though.

D'oh, I totally skipped over that part of your post. Yeah, that is weird.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was having a similar problem. Couldn't open the store on my phone, could on my computer.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The new EP is streaming on Beats radio tomorrow, a day ahead of the release date

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

The new EP is streaming on Beats radio tomorrow, a day ahead of the release date

hell yes

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

BANME.sh posted:

Starting when?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
8PM LA / 11PM NY / 4AM LDN

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BANME.sh posted:

:swoon:

That's through Apple Music, right? Is it a free show or do you have to be a subscriber?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:swoon:

That's through Apple Music, right? Is it a free show or do you have to be a subscriber?
It's a free stream. It should be at the top of the "Radio" tab in both the iOS music app and the iTunes desktop app's "Music" section. Should be similar through the Apple Music Android app, but I don't have one of those devices so I can't check.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

To Deviations or not to Deviations :kiddo:
..apparently they've some issues with the Deviations files so they put up everything else instead.

Molestationary Store fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 22, 2016

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Apparently it's just an early release all-around, just got the download for Not the Actual Events in my email.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Apparently it's just an early release all-around, just got the download for Not the Actual Events in my email.
:aaa:

How is it?!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
There's also a "music video" to go along with one of the songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ammat The Ankh posted:

....am I going insane or is this Nine Inch Nails making doom metal :psyboom:

I mean it kinda rules, but this is not what I expected at all. What in the world.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

My first impressions are really positive, but I'm gonna give it time to see if that holds up or if it's just "holy poo poo new NIN" excitement. I think if you like what's in that video above you'll dig it. I'm super into the first track so far.

also am I crazy or is the album art the art for Still but just with Not the Actual Events instead of Still written?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That track is extremely my poo poo. I like it better than anything on Hesitation Marks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TOOT BOOT posted:

That track is extremely my poo poo. I like it better than anything on Hesitation Marks.
They certainly weren't kidding when they said it wasn't anything like Hesitation Marks or their film work...

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They certainly weren't kidding when they said it wasn't anything like Hesitation Marks or their film work...

Yeah, no kidding. It's very different, which I think is a good thing in this case. Not that I didn't like those too, but this change is nice.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's a slightly less migraine inducing video than the one David Lynch directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
This is such a welcome change from Hesitation Marks, was not expecting this at all.