Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ihmemies posted:

Hopefully AMD will do it properly and forces intel to compete.

for what? the .0001% overclocking market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

are you that thick?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
PC market is shrinking but there are still sales to be had. Especially in laptop and server land where ASP's are still higher I believe.

Avg. users won't care about the CPU but they do care about bang vs buck and many of them haven't bothered to upgrade for much the same reason many enthusiasts haven't. The value just wasn't there to make a new system worth while.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Toast Museum posted:

Also, hasn't Intel been pretty up-front about prioritizing low power consumption over increased performance?

The only use case for fast, single threaded processing has been consumer gaming. Everyone else in the market either wants efficiency for battery life or efficiency so they can pay less to cool their datacenters.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blorange posted:

The only use case for fast, single threaded processing has been consumer gaming. Everyone else in the market either wants efficiency for battery life or efficiency so they can pay less to cool their datacenters.

What about Solidworks?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'm part of the .0001% market and many competing firms will try their best to sell me new products. Intel hasn't been doing that since SB. Companies will produce better products if someone else does better than they do...

If Zen is good and has solder or better tim than Intel, I bet Intel will improve in that regard too eventually. It's not like they don't know how to do it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

PC market is shrinking but there are still sales to be had. Especially in laptop and server land where ASP's are still higher I believe.

Avg. users won't care about the CPU but they do care about bang vs buck and many of them haven't bothered to upgrade for much the same reason many enthusiasts haven't. The value just wasn't there to make a new system worth while.

It's worth remembering that when we're talking about "PC market shrinking" we're talking like going from 330 million units a year to 280 million units a year. It's still an assload of stuff selling.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Not really holding my breath over the Ryzen, AMD will surely find a way to underdeliver. Not saying this as an Intel fanboy as they've been riding the power consumption pony for a while now.

**ninjaedit**

Its page 286, only 100 more pages till 386 and 200 till 486!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Celebrate when we get page 8086 :colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sormus posted:

Not really holding my breath over the Ryzen, AMD will surely find a way to underdeliver. Not saying this as an Intel fanboy as they've been riding the power consumption pony for a while now.
i dunno, 45 less watts than a comparable Xeon Broadwell-EP/Broadwell-E SKU for the same performance is at least eyebrow-raising.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i dunno, 45 less watts than a comparable Xeon Broadwell-EP/Broadwell-E SKU for the same performance is at least eyebrow-raising.

Yeah, that's fuckin killer if it extends to the real meaty 10-18 core SKUs. AMD has killed it if they do so. Intel also price gouges even more for 4 socket platforms, if AMD's capable of selling a 4-socket enabled part for Xeon 2-socket pricing, they can even enjoy some fat margins themselves.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jago posted:

What a crazy straw man argument. Why did you type all that? Yes, some people here have been unreasonably on one side of that silly argument or the other. On the whole though, I think we have a pretty nuanced view of the pressures, both profit and physics wise.

Hope you feel better.

He's not wrong, plenty of people here have made the argument that Intel holding out on the core count on their consumer chips is no big deal because nobody uses more than 4 cores anyway. And then once AMD starts dangling cheap 8-core chips with Haswell performance in front of people everyone starts thinking that maybe it's a pretty cool idea after all.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's amusing how quickly the conversation has changed in the past few months. It's been what, seven? years of a steady drumbeat of "physics is hard! we hit fundamental limits! can't do any better you're just not smart enough to understand!" while Intel is just lazily minting money. Seven years of pointing out that the "physics" argument is utter horseshit and getting dogpiled/downvoted/whatever for it, or for daring to criticize Intel. They have a million PhDs, you think you know more about chip design than them? How dare you.

For these seven years If you point out the simple truth that they just haven't had any competition and that's the only reason a 6700k is barely better than a 2500k people used to lose their loving minds. No you're just dumb and don't understand physics! Do you even know what a nanometer is? It's like really tiny bro! Moore's law is dead because physics is too hard, I read it in wired it must be true.

Now it's a complete 180, anyone talking about "physics" is getting dogpiled on, and there's this blind faith that everything is going to get way better now that AMD is finally executing again.

I'm not even bitching about SA, this place is better than most other communities for sure, seems like people are a bit more on the ball and skeptical of the horseshit wired/verge/hn barfs out. On shittier sites like reddit et al people used to get banned or have comments deleted for daring to point out that Intel is just sitting on their hands, because this revealed how ignorant of "physics" they are.

I just love how we're all at war with Eurasia again and that's how it's always been, 2016 is amazing.

this would make a v nice entry in your journal

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sormus posted:

Its page 286, only 100 more pages till 386 and 200 till 486!

This thread is now in 16-bit protected mode.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah that's the kind of thing that would definitely get me to build a home server, and probably a new desktop as well if it's inexpensive.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Didn't intel pull some poo poo a while back with a certain line of processor (Atom or Pentium, I think) where if you bought a scratch off card it would allow the processor to use another megabyte of cache and enable hyperthreading that was already there in the first place?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

weak wrists big dick posted:

Didn't intel pull some poo poo a while back with a certain line of processor (Atom or Pentium, I think) where if you bought a scratch off card it would allow the processor to use another megabyte of cache and enable hyperthreading that was already there in the first place?

This is how all computer chips have worked for some time now. The set-up cost for production of computer chips is incredibly high, so to get around this, computer chip companies manufacture only one type of chip, and disable different amounts of its functionality to create the different product categories.

If this bothers you, I hope you are also railing against software companies for daring to charge money for their software when they also let you download the free, limited functionality version from their website. They could be giving you the full featured version at no additional cost.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

This is how all computer chips have worked for some time now. The set-up cost for production of computer chips is incredibly high, so to get around this, computer chip companies manufacture only one type of chip, and disable different amounts of its functionality to create the different product categories.

If this bothers you, I hope you are also railing against software companies for daring to charge money for their software when they also let you download the free, limited functionality version from their website. They could be giving you the full featured version at no additional cost.

At least in theory, chips vary in production quality enough for binning to make sense. Selling scratch-off cards to unlock processor functionality just seems scammy, even if it isn't functionally different from regular processor branding.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 18, 2016

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

weak wrists big dick posted:

AMD has done similar things. Around 6 years ago you could buy a triple core Athlon II X3 processor and unlock a 4th core if you paired it with the right motherboards.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fame Douglas posted:

At least in theory, chips vary in production quality enough for binning to make sense. Selling scratch-off cards to unlock processor functionality just seems scammy, even if it isn't functionally different from regular processor branding.

I'm not in the business, so I can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect they disable what would be perfectly good i7s to create Pentiums.

The alternative to that would be to either 1) have perfect knowledge of your manufacturing process and perfect prediction of product sales and tune the manufacturing process so that the spectrum of the differently abled chips meshed with the sales breakdown of product categories or 2) wildly overproduce chips and leave tons of inventory on the shelves. It makes more sense to me at least for Intel to convert i7s to Pentiums instead of 2) and I don't think they have the capability to totally do 1).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's not necessarily Intel, sometimes OEMs request certain SKUs and price points. You can't just heavily discount your product to meet the price or give some bottom level SKU a bunch of features for free, so you disable it. But hey, if the feature is there and the customer wants to upgrade later down the road, why not.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sashimi posted:

AMD has done similar things. Around 6 years ago you could buy a triple core Athlon II X3 processor and unlock a 4th core if you paired it with the right motherboards.
it was never official (but not disallowed by AMD), and it's sort of a lottery when it does -- there's the odd binned-down 100% stable core just to meet sales volumes, but there are some cases where they just flat out don't work or were disabled because they were unstable

it's more like unlocking GPU cores really

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also should be said that the scratch off method for more cores / cache was really hit or miss and might make the CPU real unstable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sashimi posted:

My recollection of this wasn't that it was an upsell. It was that they only promised three cores so that they could sell the ones with the flawed fourth core, but frequently the fourth core was still usable if you used boards designed to let you, but there were no guarantees you'd be able to use it with the upgraded motherboard.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sashimi posted:

That's not even close. That was simply an unofficial bios hack, which is a way of getting better value from your purchase. The CPUs were binned such that not all of them would work with the extra core unlocked. (I've seen that with my own eyes, a core that was flaky and ultimately wasn't worth enabling).

On the Intel side he's referring to this, which is simply a cynical marketing tactic.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm pretty certain that the vast, vast majority of i5s have fully-functional hyperthreading units onboard, i.e. they are just being locked down for market segmentation. Is making people buy a whole new processor supposed to be better somehow?

HalloKitty posted:

That's not even close. That was simply an unofficial bios hack, which is a way of getting better value from your purchase. The CPUs were binned such that not all of them would work with the extra core unlocked. (I've seen that with my own eyes, a core that was flaky and ultimately wasn't worth enabling).

On the Intel side he's referring to this, which is simply a cynical marketing tactic.

Aww, so pwwecious, baby's first encounter with capacity-on-demand systems.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/cod/offerings.html

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/servers/unix/sparc/technology/flexibility/capacity-on-demand.html

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19855-01/E21467-01/cod.html

Just think, enterprise hardware companies will stick whole processors and memory in your system that you aren't allowed to use until you buy a license! Scandal!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 19, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TIL enterprise solutions and consumer systems are equivalent

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nope. And that's why adding hyperthreading to an i5 costs $300 and requires taking apart your system, instead of paying $150 and typing some numbers into your BIOS.

I mean it's not like Intel stopped selling i3s while they were doing that - so if you don't like it then either buy the i3 or settle for your pentium. Problem solved.

Another fun example though: the Raspberry Pi has various media decoders on its GPU that are locked down until you pay $5 per codec and put a serial-specific license key into a text file on the boot disk. Pretty hefty money considering the thing only costs $35 in the first place.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Another fun example though: the Raspberry Pi has various media decoders on its GPU that are locked down until you pay $5 per codec and put a serial-specific license key into a text file on the boot disk. Pretty hefty money considering the thing only costs $35 in the first place.

I assume you are making an argument against software patents?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fame Douglas posted:

I assume you are making an argument against software patents?

I'm against software patents in general, but here I'm just using the Raspberry Pi as an example of a consumer processor where there's functionality that's disabled until you pay for a license key.

The problem with software patents is that taking something non-patentable and adding "on a computer" isn't supposed to be patentable either. If you come up with the next LZW algorithm that's great, patent that. But there's no need to issue a patent for "a computer program that does LZW" too. And in general the patent office does a terrible job and issues a whole bunch of really obvious patents for poo poo like "downloading software updates".

Ironically SCOTUS has pretty much gotten it right and a couple years ago they essentially destroyed the software patent as we know it. The problem is actually the Federal courts, who keep doing their best to blatantly ignore SCOTUS overturning their terrible decisions. It's finally starting to sink in though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Corp._v._CLS_Bank_International

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20161005/15280135720/prominent-pro-patent-judge-issues-opinion-declaring-all-software-patents-bad.shtml

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 19, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope a bunch of people here never look too much at different Intel chipsets and wonder why the B, H, and Z SKUs all have different features

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PerrineClostermann posted:

So you're saying spending $50 once to unlock something on your system is horrible but spending $50,000 a month instead is fine?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well, alot of places do produce different designs for different market segments (G_10#, the various snapdragons and other arm processors), yeah it does make sense for places to intentionally disable parts of chips for that same effect, especially if the higher end (read: larger) parts are such high volume ones. It's the same sentiment behind cereal producers making both the main and the generic brands the same way. Certain markets are only so big, so once you saturate it, you can't really do anything else to grow. You can create a brand new chip to fill the lower market segments, but that might not be the best solution as you do have all that higher end stock that is slightly flawed or turns out to not be so repairable, plus it costs so much to design, test, and produce it. I think intel et al usually lasers off interconnects or something to make the lower end chips, but if they can create a software method to do so, that saves a step right there, plus it removes the risk of the lasering accidentally killing something else. Once its in software, then why not let people re-enable things? I mean, its not like we are at a dlc model (yet) in the consumer domain where you can only buy an i3 or whatever and have to pay hundreds to unlock smt, more cores, cache, etc. Frankly, I'm surprised that phone arm processors even have the separate chips for each market, though it might make sense if smaller chips are better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm not sure how modern CPUs do it but for most other chips they have fuses that are blown so when the device boots the firmware reads the permanently set code and sets up the device accordingly. The dies are identical, it's just a slight change during the packaging process that makes the difference. The dies can also be binned into performance grades but that's not always even necessary.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
how useful is HT these days anyway? is it mostly good for workstation related stuff or can it benefit gaming?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

AEMINAL posted:

how useful is HT these days anyway? is it mostly good for workstation related stuff or can it benefit gaming?

A normal machine is running 100-150 processes on a light load. If more than ${corecount} is active at any moment then you get some benefit from HT.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It has given us very fast and long lasting laptops running just two cores with hyperthreading.

Makes me wonder if hyperthreading could be extended even further, like four threads (?) per core or something similar.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
There are other implementations of simultaneous multithreading that can handle more than 2 threads per core.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FunOne posted:

A normal machine is running 100-150 processes on a light load. If more than ${corecount} is active at any moment then you get some benefit from HT.
Most of these processes are idle/suspended, tho.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

priznat posted:

I'm not sure how modern CPUs do it but for most other chips they have fuses that are blown so when the device boots the firmware reads the permanently set code and sets up the device accordingly. The dies are identical, it's just a slight change during the packaging process that makes the difference. The dies can also be binned into performance grades but that's not always even necessary.

Oh duh, fuses... Yeah thats one way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

Makes me wonder if hyperthreading could be extended even further, like four threads (?) per core or something similar.
POWER8 has up to 8 threads per core and POWER9 will have up to 12