Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
New tiers incoming for pricing... $50 on Sept 12th so get the lower priced alpha etc access packs before then if you are going to!

Apparently they are removing the $100 and $150 pkgs...so the lower pkgs won't have alpha/beta access.

Details at the Pantheon site...

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Does the $100 packs include alpha access for both copies?

Edit: Nope, but if someone wants to split a pledge with me, we can share the primary account for alpha/beta access. Send me an email alexanderdelarge@outlook.com

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 20, 2016

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'll wait till they release and have the free-to-play option. But I'll definitely try it out, for free.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The same mistakes over and over again, its amazing

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DeathSandwich posted:

Let's be honest with ourselves, Classic EQ / project 99 / TAK has not aged gracefully. It looks like warmed over poo poo even under the best of circumstances. The core gameplay loop of 'sit in a static camp, wait for mobs to pop, get hosed if you can't find a group and/or can't solo, ad nauseum for hours on end' has been kind of outdated by the 20 years of MMO design philosophy to come afterward. There are some aspects of EQ1 that I think are worth preserving in a new game, assuming they pick up and adopt some of the quality of life changes that have generally come around since EQ1s hayday. I can't really sound off on the state of Live EQ because I've not gone back to it since LDoN.

Granted, opinions are subjective and all, but one of the things I loved from EQ1 that vanished going into EQ2 was how EQ1 did the spell system. The spellbook vs prepared spells thing was always kind of neat and harkened back to the games D&D Roots and it forced you to make tactical decisions as to what spells you had available at any given time. You still see this sort of thing happen in games like Guild Wars 2, though half of your skill bar in that game is static based on your equipped weapon, which is kind of a neat idea in and of itself.

EQ2 by comparison broke away from that in a bad way and by the time you have a max level character even in the early days you had like 4 hotbars filled to the brim and about 2/3rds of your attacks were meaningless filler there for you to hit buttons between the big attacks/cooldowns. Everything became kind of a cluttered mess and it really turned the game off for me, despite the direct nostalgia I had for EQ1. Vanguard always felt more like EQ2 to me than EQ2 ever did, even though Vanguard was a bad game coming from a different direction.
Modern Live EQ1 is actually not sit-n-camp. People at higher levels do relatively quick (30-45 minutes) missions, where you are dumped in an instance and have to perform certain fixed tasks, such as explore there, kill 10 skeletons, kill boss, pick up those ground items, etc. Sure you can call it repetitive, but I guess it's more varied than a WoW dungeon where it's literally just "kill all bosses". Other people form groups in open zones and do the sit-n-camp, but there are fast respawns, lots of mobs, and frequent named spawns with decent drops that it's not so bad. There are also daily tasks where you go to a zone and kill 5 random mobs and get a reward. Again, not groundbreaking, but not like sitting 8 hours in Lower Guk and ending up with a Moonstone Ring for your effort.

Gameplay also trumps graphics, I don't understand why people are so interested in a re-skinned EQ1. What I'd rather like is a new core engine that makes ancient poo poo like the terrible attack mechanics, movement, environment clipping and jump modern. But again, it just wouldn't be the same so I'd rather play the original EQ1. :)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

It's time to just face the facts: most of us played MMOs when we were young and things were different then. Back then, we were early adopters and MMO gaming was a new and exciting thing. It didn't matter that there was a smaller player base - people were engaged and excited to play.

That's all changed. The peak came and went with WoW years ago and people have moved on. People expect too much, publishers expect too much, and the bar for graphics is so high that it's near impossible to make a pretty game by modern standards without spending all your money. The demographic has changed, with the average age of MMO players getting older and older (more or less following our age bracket). People that used to play these games have jobs and families and other commitments now. The younger age brackets are more interested in other genres if they're interested in gaming at all.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but it seems like every MMO ends up being a failure these days, many before they even launch. Even popular ones that get launched these days, like Black Desert Online, end up clearing out in record time. I don't think Pantheon is going to buck that trend - it's a game aimed at nostalgic 20-30 somethings who don't have the time to play. I loved the genre, but I don't think we'll ever get that feeling that we're all looking for back.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah I freely admit I've been Chasing the Dragon for many years, but gave up a few years ago when stuff like Rift and Guild Wars 2 ended up being disappointments after just a few days.

I've searched my soul and realized that I'm contented with just grinding my boxes in EQ1 for a few months every year, enjoy it for what it is, then let my cheap Krono subscriptions run out, and return later during the year. I enjoy it. :)

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Rift actually had pretty fun mechanics but it was so hard to build any kind of community out of it and that's what I miss most about EQ

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
for what it's worth they have a new FAQ up in the Oct newsletter: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2016_october_vip_qa/

including this oddly specific gem:

quote:

Dalinsia: How many cups of coffee have you drunk since you started working on Pantheon and has anyone at Team VR literally called it a cup of Burning Sanctum?

Chris Rowan, Chairman: Too many to count. I am up every morning at 5:30 AM at the latest. I start the day with fresh squeezed organic vegetable juice, then move on to coffee. I fine grind medium roast Bolivian beans for five cups of coffee, but heat water for four cups (I like it strong) and create a batch in a large pour over container. Never does that coffee last past 1 PM. On most days, I’ll repeat that and finish the second batch. On top of that, as an avid cyclist who rides 4-5 days a week for 150-200 total miles per week, I end up finishing rides at a café and usually indulge in a cortado. It’s a Spanish espresso drink that is stronger than a cappuccino. So simple math, 50-60 cups of coffee a week. Wow. Is that a problem? (Ed. - Clearly, Chris is our foremost coffee aficionado on the team, although he is hardly alone in this obsession so we simply had to pose this question.)

plus a few other random questions that don't answer a whole lot. :shrug:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The fact that our developers are fit and drinking with finesse inspires me with more confidence in Pantheon than ever.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They haven't had a chance to fall into debauchery yet. McQuaid keeps stealing all their prescription pain killers.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I played on the vanguard emulator last week. It's still really basic but encouraging. It will also probably be better than pantheon since there's already less server-related lag than retail vanguard due to it not being coded by people told to re-do everything every week because some manager wanted it his way.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Haven't paid attention to this game for like eight months, don't know what's new in development, nonetheless 100% certain "backing" it in any way is completely stupid.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Don't give money to video game companies unless it's an actual purchase of an actual product.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Don't give money to video game companies unless it's an actual purchase of an actual feature complete product.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

megalodong posted:

I played on the vanguard emulator last week. It's still really basic but encouraging. It will also probably be better than pantheon since there's already less server-related lag than retail vanguard due to it not being coded by people told to re-do everything every week because some manager wanted it his way.

Vanguard! :eyepop: I really miss this game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

Vanguard! :eyepop: I really miss this game.

Speaking of, how far along is the emulator? Did they ever add experience and actual combat yet or is it still milling about in a mostly empty world issuing admin slay commands and insta leveling yourself to 50?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

There was a stream. But the official stream got DMCA'd audio so you can't listen to it.

Some tryhard nerd made this highlight-reel:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1evojgGDdaCr3F_xKdwMACZgd9vphRrfFVMcRNrwqBWs/edit

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

There was a stream. But the official stream got DMCA'd audio so you can't listen to it.

Some tryhard nerd made this highlight-reel:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1evojgGDdaCr3F_xKdwMACZgd9vphRrfFVMcRNrwqBWs/edit

I'm laughing at the revelation that Brad McQuaid put development time to make a vanity class that only he is allowed to use.

quote:

War Wizard
Lore only class only played by Human character Aradune (Brad “Aradune” McQuaid).
Has frost element offensive nuke spells, roots, and heals.
Isn’t a planned player class

I'm still tentative on this. It's obvious from the stream highlights that they are really going to be mining some EQ1 nostalgia except with modern sensibilities. I guess now it comes down to how much to I trust them to actually make something playable from it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's Brad McQuaid so at a guess let's go with not at all.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm laughing at the revelation that Brad McQuaid put development time to make a vanity class that only he is allowed to use.

I'm all for ripping on people when they deserve it, but it's really doubtful this was much time. They have their class system in place, so you just whip out a few skills (that probably are already in use on other classes, or just slight mods to existing ones). Not really a big deal, from what Unity3D work I've done.

I'm surprised Pantheon is still going on, and has some consistent people on it now. I thought it would have vaped its last vape as vaporware by now. I now think that at some point, they'll technically release something that can technically be played!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Morbid curiosity pushes me to at least try it, if they keep their plan to make the first ten levels free to play.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'll definitely give it a try as long as they do the trial thing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xZAOx posted:

I'm all for ripping on people when they deserve it, but it's really doubtful this was much time. They have their class system in place, so you just whip out a few skills (that probably are already in use on other classes, or just slight mods to existing ones). Not really a big deal, from what Unity3D work I've done.

I'm surprised Pantheon is still going on, and has some consistent people on it now. I thought it would have vaped its last vape as vaporware by now. I now think that at some point, they'll technically release something that can technically be played!

I mean, it really doesn't matter how much time was spent developing the vanity class. An intern could of hammered it out in an afternoon for all I care. The point is that it goes to show that the Brad McQuaid Vision (tm) is in full effect and that development is at least in part being developed from a position of ego and hubris that McQuaid is very much a known item for. Until we know more, I guess we'll see how this manifests in the finished product, generally harder he leans on The Vision the more he hangs on to bad lovely mechanics due to increasingly flimsy justifications.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, it really doesn't matter how much time was spent developing the vanity class. An intern could of hammered it out in an afternoon for all I care. The point is that it goes to show that the Brad McQuaid Vision (tm) is in full effect and that development is at least in part being developed from a position of ego and hubris that McQuaid is very much a known item for. Until we know more, I guess we'll see how this manifests in the finished product, generally harder he leans on The Vision the more he hangs on to bad lovely mechanics due to increasingly flimsy justifications.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'm torn on ole Brad. On the one hand, I've really loved and spent a lot of time in the two games he's had a part in. On the other....he's Brad McQuaid. Big into the LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL poo poo like his Fiery Avenger and now his War Wizard class.

I've been playing on the EQ TLP server Phinny, and I really like how it handles things in regards to overcrowding. If a zone/dungeon has too many people, it spawns a new instance (and you can move between them). So you still get the "open world" feel, but a lot less susceptible to the negative behavior. Raid zones are still open world and can get multiple instances too, but each week you can run it in a private instance so no guild can cock-block others (it's basically a shittier version of WoW's much more superb lockout system).

Unfortunately from the stream, right now they're saying no instancing at all. They plan to just have "so much content" that people won't be cockblocking others and monopolizing content, combined with "your reputation matters". That poo poo is A Bad Idea, even for the limited population their game is targeting. It's going to make it like Project1999 which is a shitshow because he's underestimating the neckbeards. Noone gives a gently caress about reputation in modern games. Phinny is the most popular thing EverQuest has, and for good reason. It's a great system that still is obviously EQ, but you can sidestep the negative poo poo.

Brad doesn't game, and isn't a gamer, and just has notions of what other games have done. That's really going to hurt Pantheon in general.

gently caress, he's also terrible at the game. They joke about it, but I'd hate to group with the guy. He doesn't pay attention, constantly fucks up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xZAOx posted:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'm torn on ole Brad. On the one hand, I've really loved and spent a lot of time in the two games he's had a part in. On the other....he's Brad McQuaid. Big into the LOOK AT ME I'M SPECIAL poo poo like his Fiery Avenger and now his War Wizard class.

I've been playing on the EQ TLP server Phinny, and I really like how it handles things in regards to overcrowding. If a zone/dungeon has too many people, it spawns a new instance (and you can move between them). So you still get the "open world" feel, but a lot less susceptible to the negative behavior. Raid zones are still open world and can get multiple instances too, but each week you can run it in a private instance so no guild can cock-block others (it's basically a shittier version of WoW's much more superb lockout system).

Unfortunately from the stream, right now they're saying no instancing at all. They plan to just have "so much content" that people won't be cockblocking others and monopolizing content, combined with "your reputation matters". That poo poo is A Bad Idea, even for the limited population their game is targeting. It's going to make it like Project1999 which is a shitshow because he's underestimating the neckbeards. Noone gives a gently caress about reputation in modern games. Phinny is the most popular thing EverQuest has, and for good reason. It's a great system that still is obviously EQ, but you can sidestep the negative poo poo.

Brad doesn't game, and isn't a gamer, and just has notions of what other games have done. That's really going to hurt Pantheon in general.

gently caress, he's also terrible at the game. They joke about it, but I'd hate to group with the guy. He doesn't pay attention, constantly fucks up.

Pretty much everything you listed for the nice things about EQ TLP were not there during his time and he in fact campaigned against them in some cases, like dungeon instancing.

I remember reading somewhere that the big inspirations for his games have been pen and paper D&D/Pathfinder homebrew games which seems to make sense if you view it through the lens of him being 'That GM' who loves his self insert ubermensch NPC/GMPC and has to go on to prove how much of hardcore badass/unique snowflake/loved by everyone/all of the above they are.

I mean, EQ1 had Firiona Vie as the focal point in the lore for the first handful of games, but she wasn't quite as egregious because the game didn't really go to great lengths to shove her down your face aside from the dumb cleavage shots on the box art and front loading splash. By and large she was a poster girl that you never really interacted with in game outside of one-of-a-kind GM events.

The implication in this game by contrast seems to be that their focal point lore character (Aradune Mithra) is going to asserting himself in the game in a more direct manner and making players interact with him. This wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't an obvious self insert of the game's director and also a unique special snowflake war wizard because nobody else in this world has figured out how to wizard and also swing a sword at the same time you guyyyyyss. The amount of raw ego on display is enough to make Richard "Lord British" Garriott blush.

If it sounds like I'm talking myself out of being willing to give the game a fair shake on release, it's because I kind of am. It's feeling more and more like McQuaid didn't learn the lesson he was suppose to learn from Vanguard. Who knows, maybe Pantheon will be good in spite of McQuaid if he's got an intelligent dev team under him or people willing to tell him no in areas where it counts. Maybe I'll then convince my cats not to be assholes or get everyone to agree that the left Twix bar is obviously superior to the right one.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 20, 2016

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I hope that an intern Did whip up his snowflake class to keep him content and not micromanaging.

If the game is what they're showing and the team keeps Brad in check, it could be a good game.

If.

Worst case it's a Lucas ep1 situation where nobody stands up to his decisions and the whole thing suffers.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
When I saw the youtube video of the stream and he had his fucken flaming sword meanwhile their using unity store assets and textures.. Well that says a lot.

He's the fucken Kanye of MMO devs. Guys I'm gonna let you update those textures but first I need a flaming sword ok?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

He wants to be lord british.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

He wants to be lord british.

Me too unironically.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Say what you will about Lord British but at least that character had a series of games where he's both an incredibly useful NPC and one that people had fun killing to build good faith. All I remember Aradune doing in EQ was be mocked by sewer graffiti.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

i am tim! posted:

Say what you will about Lord British but at least that character had a series of games where he's both an incredibly useful NPC and one that people had fun killing to build good faith. All I remember Aradune doing in EQ was be mocked by sewer graffiti.

How could you forget his special flaming sword? Or when he went in game and asked for Shaman players to tell him directly if they had their alchemy skill higher than 25 so he could win an argument on the forums.

Think he also forced his character into Fires of Heaven as well, though that may have been for an RP event.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The more I look at that doc of the stream, the more I'm concerned it's a little too much like everquest, faults and all.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

The more I look at that doc of the stream, the more I'm concerned it's a little too much like everquest, faults and all.

Of course it is. Brad has not grown or changed as a person or designer.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i fear the war wizard aradune may once again lose his way chasing the mythical dragon :v:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Aradune is a gigantic man-child. I think I have more respect for actual children.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Secular Humanist posted:

Aradune is a gigantic man-child. I think I have more respect for actual children.

He made his own class in his own MMORPG. How does that make him a manchild? If you're going to call him that, at least do it over something that makes sense, like disappearing painkillers or something.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Node posted:

He made his own class in his own MMORPG. How does that make him a manchild?

He made his own class in his own MMORPG.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Secular Humanist posted:

He made his own class in his own MMORPG.

I stumbled into this thread by accident and know nothing about this game, but I have to say that in general, "this guy running an MMO made a special class that only he's allowed to use" is super manchild behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

He made his own class in his own MMORPG. How does that make him a manchild? If you're going to call him that, at least do it over something that makes sense, like disappearing painkillers or something.

How does making a class that only HE and NO ONE else can play NOT make him a manchild?

• Locked thread