Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JcDent posted:

Vehicular homicide in school rivalry gone bad through feminism and drug deals

This is the tagline for the 21st century remake of Romeo and Juliet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tias posted:

They posted the exact same thing in TCCs heroin and addiction threads, so.. probably someone losing it :(

He also posted that in the fighting game thread

I think he's just posting to everything on the front page of a forum

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
but weirdly enough not the same thing. he also made a post about lowtax's wives or something. god speed, person who probably needs help

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Given the number of times this thread sidetracks into RPG talk, I'm curious if anyone has ever read this book about the 80's Satanic Panic: http://a.co/dLpQPuR

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ok so Catholics

Is amoris laetitia as bad as this guy says

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's apparently a copypasta going around (in Europe as well as the U.S.) saying that the Blessed Anne Emmerich (‽) and Medugorje (‽‽‽) predicted Satan would be ruling 2016. Edited from Tumblr:

quote:

I noticed it on facebook where on news posts would occasionally pop up someone saying “just a little bit more, we just have to bear it for a little more” and I was like ??? but then I did some research and found out that 2016 is believed to be the last year of satan’s 100 years of free reign on the earth (the thing was caused by one of the bets that god and satan tends to do occasionally, and that pope Leo XIII saw in a vision in 1884). one of the sources spreading the theory is HERE, but of course it’s all in italian. some points are:
- During a vision in 1820, it was revealed to Blessed Anna Katharina Emmerick [sic] that Satan would have been freed from the chains about eighty years before the year 2000. This period of freedom for the fallen angel would last a century.
- This is confirmed by a message from Madonna of Medjugorje given to the seers in April 24, 1982
- Further confirmation comes from a vision seen by Pope Leo XIII described as follows: On the morning of October 13, 1884–
[elision in original]
Italian source

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Notwithstanding how much 2016 in particular sucks, looking at us relative to 1916 I'm tempted to say Satan's doing a fair enough job.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Another day of violence and discord in between the alpha and the omega. Blessed Virgin Mary, pray for us.

Smoking Crow posted:

Ok so Catholics

Is amoris laetitia as bad as this guy says

This link did not work for me, likely because of the NYT website's byzantine linking and paywall system, but I found the article with some basic navigating.

I am a lay, married Catholic with not many close friends, and few of them are divorced and none are remarried. In my estimation, God's imperative to the Christian believer is to be evermore merciful and loving, and the Last Supper was not an invitation to divide sinners from non-sinners.

I am also sensitive to the divisiveness of sexual morality, even from within this thread, which is more what Douthat is columnizing about rather than a critique of Amoris Laetitia itself. I think he's right that Amoris Laetitia will continue to challenge and unsettle more than it settles and resolves, as it should.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
this is the fixed link

Considering that I'd be surprised if 10% of my parish even know about AL much less care, I can only say it's a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. (we need a Deus Ex reference counter for this thread or something)

Anyway, the four cardinals appear to be heading forward with making a formal correction of the Pope within a few months. After which, nobody seems to know what will happen.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Notwithstanding how much 2016 in particular sucks, looking at us relative to 1916 I'm tempted to say Satan's doing a fair enough job.

give it time, there is nothing so terrible that it cannot be made worse

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My opinions on Douthat have been formed solely by Chapo Trap House, so, uh

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

I know all of those words, and yet together they make no sense.

So, why exactly are the remarried not allowed Communion? Does that extend to people who have had their spouses die or just divorce? What are the grounds for divorce in a Catholic marriage?

The Phlegmatist posted:

Considering that I'd be surprised if 10% of my parish even know about AL much less care, I can only say it's a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. (we need a Deus Ex reference counter for this thread or something)

You could apply this to drat near anything about most churches. As a quick query, how many people would you guys say go to church to be part of the community over going to be pleasing to God. Note I didn't say don't believe, but how much is more based on seeing your mates and having a conversation, rather than "Godliness"?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Josef bugman posted:

having a conversation

:finland:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

So, why exactly are the remarried not allowed Communion? Does that extend to people who have had their spouses die or just divorce? What are the grounds for divorce in a Catholic marriage?

There is no divorce for Catholics. If you leave your spouse and re-marry, you're considered to be living in open adultery.

A marriage can be annulled, and in practice that's Catholic divorce, but in theory it's only supposed to apply if the marriage was somehow invalid from the start. For example, because one of the spouses was secretly already married...

Not sure if any of this applies to Catholics who marry outside the church, does anyone have info on this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

pidan posted:

There is no divorce for Catholics. If you leave your spouse and re-marry, you're considered to be living in open adultery.

A marriage can be annulled, and in practice that's Catholic divorce, but in theory it's only supposed to apply if the marriage was somehow invalid from the start. For example, because one of the spouses was secretly already married...

Not sure if any of this applies to Catholics who marry outside the church, does anyone have info on this?

That seems needlessly restrictive. Especially if you start looking into it and seeing that if you donated a particularly nice house to the pope, and were emperor/king, you could get a divorce by "finding out" your spouse and you were too closely related.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

Catholics can marry non-Catholics with a dispensation from the bishop and have it be valid and/or get married outside an actual Catholic church with ANOTHER dispensation from the bishop and have it be valid, but otherwise it's an invalid marriage and you can't participate in the sacraments. You can convalidate it inside the Catholic Church with what is liturgically equivalent to a marriage ceremony (or get radical sanation from guess who the bishop) in order to make it valid like nothing ever happened.

But there's this other thing where if at least one party (wrongly) thinks that the marriage is valid and there are no other impediments besides not getting married inside the church, then you've entered into a putative marriage, which means it's considered valid under Canon Law until it's annulled by a tribunal. This gets you the benefit of having your kids seen as legitimate! Hooray! Except that basically does nothing unless your kids want to be priests or something. So you can't participate in the sacraments but you also have to get it annulled if you get a divorce and want to remarry in the church.

tl;dr get married in the church if you ever plan on coming back so you don't wind up having to chase your ex down for an annulment

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Catholics can marry non-Catholics with a dispensation from the bishop and have it be valid and/or get married outside an actual Catholic church with ANOTHER dispensation from the bishop and have it be valid, but otherwise it's an invalid marriage and you can't participate in the sacraments. You can convalidate it inside the Catholic Church with what is liturgically equivalent to a marriage ceremony (or get radical sanation from guess who the bishop) in order to make it valid like nothing ever happened.

But there's this other thing where if at least one party (wrongly) thinks that the marriage is valid and there are no other impediments besides not getting married inside the church, then you've entered into a putative marriage, which means it's considered valid under Canon Law until it's annulled by a tribunal. This gets you the benefit of having your kids seen as legitimate! Hooray! Except that basically does nothing unless your kids want to be priests or something. So you can't participate in the sacraments but you also have to get it annulled if you get a divorce and want to remarry in the church.

tl;dr get married in the church if you ever plan on coming back so you don't wind up having to chase your ex down for an annulment

Ohhh gently caress this. I really don't plan on getting married in the church, so this really makes me doubt my participation. Dear gay Catholics I think I get it now...

E: I mean, thank you very much for this info The Phlegmatist, it's just that I really don't like the content.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

This gets you the benefit of having your kids seen as legitimate! Hooray! Except that basically does nothing unless your kids want to be priests or something.

Wait what?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

pidan posted:

Ohhh gently caress this. I really don't plan on getting married in the church, so this really makes me doubt my participation. Dear gay Catholics I think I get it now...

E: I mean, thank you very much for this info The Phlegmatist, it's just that I really don't like the content.

Most cradle Catholics don't really sweat this kind of stuff, if they even know about it. No one ever hassled me about getting married in Vegas.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mr Enderby posted:

Wait what?

Apparently they actually removed the legitimacy requirement for receiving the Sacrament of Holy Orders in the 1983 revision of Canon Law. *sigh* I knew the episcopate was full of bastards, spirit of Vatican II my rear end.

Also, this is all Latin Rite Canon Law; Eastern Rite Catholics have their own thing and I'm not familiar with it.

P-Mack posted:

Most cradle Catholics don't really sweat this kind of stuff, if they even know about it. No one ever hassled me about getting married in Vegas.

Yeah, most of this stuff seems to only ever bite converts in the rear end. If you did pre-Cana it's very likely that the priest just got all the dispensations behind the scenes because why bore people to death with ecclesiastical regulations.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 20, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm pretty sure you can get married in the Church but not in a church? Idk someone correct me if I'm wrong

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get married in the Church but not in a church? Idk someone correct me if I'm wrong

I guess? I was told in Catholic school that you can get married at sea by the captain if you aren't going to be making landfall to get married by a priest any time soon. :shrug:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'll just get married in a chruch.

A gothic chruch, fail-moderns!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Christianity Thread II: spirit of Vatican II my rear end.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Oh drat I really should get a dispensation from the bishop to get married (to a non christian, in a civil ceremony, prior to them coming to my country and us getting married in a church proper.)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

P-Mack posted:

I guess? I was told in Catholic school that you can get married at sea by the captain if you aren't going to be making landfall to get married by a priest any time soon. :shrug:

Somebody really liked Love Boat.

Ceciltron posted:

Oh drat I really should get a dispensation from the bishop to get married (to a non christian, in a civil ceremony, prior to them coming to my country and us getting married in a church proper.)

Yeah, you'd probably want to talk to a priest in your parish about your plans. There are some differences in Canon Law between councils of bishops so I can't really know what the situation is there.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 20, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yeah, you'd probably want to talk to a priest in your parish about your plans. There are some differences in Canon Law between councils of bishops (USCCB is a little bit stricter on letting you get married outside your diocese than the actual universal Canon Law, for example) so I can't really know what the situation is there.
The priest okayed it, but I have to get the official okay, I suppose.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

Somebody really liked Love Boat.

I was thinking The African Queen

technically the Catholic understanding of marriage is that it's performed by the couple, not the priest, but legally it should be done in public with a proper ceremony

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

technically the Catholic understanding of marriage is that it's performed by the couple, not the priest, but legally it should be done in public with a proper ceremony

Yeah, it's like how anyone can baptize without a priest but it should only be done that way in an emergency.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Ceciltron posted:

The priest okayed it, but I have to get the official okay, I suppose.

Nah if the priest said it was fine he most likely got the dispensation for you; you don't (well, can't actually) go to the bishop yourself for that.

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah that's why marriages between a Protestant and a Protestant are considered sacramental, but of course Catholics are bound by Canon Law and the horrors it creates.

But yes Catholics can get married outside the church with permission of the local ordinary.

e: I mean, really, with everything it kinda depends on what the priest is like. There's an old fire and brimstone priest at my parish that I've been warned about that won't even give permission for people to marry outside the parish, so..

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 20, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tias posted:

Christianity Thread II: spirit of Vatican II my rear end.

Looking at the totality of Vatican II I can only conclude that it was a lot of political bargaining, which is why you get a lot progressive stuff (no longer blaming Jews for the death of Jesus) along with steps backward (Pope back to being infallible).

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

Bloody Council of Trent saying you can't get married by a blacksmith like God intended.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Looking at the totality of Vatican II I can only conclude that it was a lot of political bargaining, which is why you get a lot progressive stuff (no longer blaming Jews for the death of Jesus) along with steps backward (Pope back to being infallible).

many of the thread Catholics dislike V2 because it removed a lot of traditional liturgy and silly hats

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr Enderby posted:

Bloody Council of Trent saying you can't get married by a blacksmith like God intended.

This sounds like an interesting historical footnote, could you elaborate?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Like I said, you don't actually need a priest to marry you, so technically two people could meet up with anyone as a witness, or even with no witnesses. This, uh, lends itself to abuse.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This sounds like an interesting historical footnote, could you elaborate?

I don't know if this was thing in the Middle Ages, but it was in post-Reformation Scotland. Blacksmiths were well known, non-peripatetic, and presumably respectable, so they were popular witnesses for marriages. If someone questions the validity of your marriage, you can say "go talk to the blacksmith in Erskine", rather than "there was a guy we met in a pub, don't remember his name, he might have been a weaver. It's all legit".

Scotland's marriage laws were super lax. You could get hitched aged twelve, without parental permission, with just one witness and no other bureaucracy or delay, so villages near the border (famously Gretna Green) became a sort of Las Vegas for eloping teens.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Pellisworth posted:

many of the thread Catholics dislike V2 because it removed a lot of traditional liturgy and silly hats

if you're gonna pick a hill to die on, silly hats is a top-quality one

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

The conservatives during V2 freaked out about the possible return of concilliarism (i.e., the idea that ecumenical councils actually outrank the Holy See, which was a possible interpretation of the chapter before the additions) and worked hastily to ensure that the pope remained the supreme power in the Church, eventually convincing Pope Paul VI to add a note to it explicitly affirming the power of the papacy.

Now they look at the Amoris laetitia controversy and are like "....gently caress."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JcDent posted:

Josef bugman posted:

Chapo Trap House is a podcast that blends (American) leftist political commentary with ironic weird-Twitter humor. One of their recurring segments is "Chapo Reading Series" where they tear apart terrible and hilarious writings by pundits (on both the left and right).

Douthat's readings are one of the most popular bits they've done, I can't speak to how intelligent he is on Catholic issues but hoooo boy there's some comedy gold in his writings.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-3-freeway-ross-douthat-sailboat-dope
https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-30-freeway-ross-douthat-pt-2-tha-harvard-plug

There's also a great reading segment from Rod Dreher about a gang of roving feral transgendereds at a movie theater which is totally real and not made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

Chapo Trap House is a podcast that blends (American) leftist political commentary with ironic weird-Twitter humor. One of their recurring segments is "Chapo Reading Series" where they tear apart terrible and hilarious writings by pundits (on both the left and right).

Douthat's readings are one of the most popular bits they've done, I can't speak to how intelligent he is on Catholic issues but hoooo boy there's some comedy gold in his writings.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-3-freeway-ross-douthat-sailboat-dope
https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-30-freeway-ross-douthat-pt-2-tha-harvard-plug

There's also a great reading segment from Rod Dreher about a gang of roving feral transgendereds at a movie theater which is totally real and not made up.

were they on a bus wearing "down with cis" shirts? because if so i think i know rod dreher's tumblr

also lmao clericalism still alive and real in the catholic church i guess. gotta ask permission from the priest to marry? that's hosed, man

• Locked thread