Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
BF's biggest missed opportunity with the War Doctor is that they didn't call the fourth set Causalities of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

BF's biggest missed opportunity with the War Doctor is that they didn't call the fourth set Causalities of War.

:golfclap: very good.

Also, they've used Casualties already in the EDAs.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 20, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Forktoss posted:

I hope Nick Briggs sees this post and can't sleep at night!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Considering there's a whole year before the 8th Doctor Time War set comes out, I can't help but wonder if there'll be another season of War Doctor stories before that comes out. There's a whole bunch more Time War to play with, and it certainly feels like they're deliberately not going as dark as they could with the War Doctor.

I read somewhere that these four were going to be the only "season."

But then again, maybe Hurt will fall into the "likes working with Big Finish" camp and agree to come back for more!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

If only we had known in advance that Big Finish could get hold of a premise that allowed for weird, unique storytelling and completely squander its potential.

*glares at the Divergent Universe arc*

Scherzo was just so loving good and both Faith Stealer and The Last are personal favorites of mine...but Creed of the Kromon. Boy, I just don't know.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

CobiWann posted:

I read somewhere that these four were going to be the only "season."

But then again, maybe Hurt will fall into the "likes working with Big Finish" camp and agree to come back for more!

Scherzo was just so loving good and both Faith Stealer and The Last are personal favorites of mine...but Creed of the Kromon. Boy, I just don't know.

Scherzo remains one of my favorite Doctor Who stories ever, bar none. McGann and Fisher both knocked that out of the park.

The Divergent Universe arc is just so weird. I remember my much younger self first listening to Kromon and being super creeped out by Charlie turning into a giant worm monster that I basically never wanted to listen to it again. Natural History of Fear sort of worked for me. I liked the twist ending* just fine, but it's not really one I'd go back and listen to again. I agree that The Last is probably one of the better stories set in it.

*Yes, I just spoilered a twelve year old niche audio drama. :dealwithit:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
OK. People from the United Kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQZaUixmpA

Explain this. Please.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really like The Natural History of Fear too (and Scherzo, of course). Kromon is definitely one of the top 10 worst Big Finish stories, though, and it's good some stiff competition.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Explain this. Please.

Ohhh, one of the infamous government produced Public Information Films, designed to scare the poo poo out of you so you don't put yourself in danger! :iamafag:

Like this one, which literally features... well, you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZWD2sDRESk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Explain this. Please.

You've got to be careful when you visit farms.

I remember this one we were shown in school (in the late 1990s, so probably about 20 years after it came out) where this kid who loves football breaks every bone in his body and loses both feet when he's hit by a train and it ends with a close-up on his football boots; Peter Purves presented and narrated it.

What you really need to look up are the DOE anti-drink driving adverts from Northern Ireland.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 20, 2016

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

After The War posted:

I hope my gift made it to my Santee okay. When I sent it, it said "Me? I'm allowed everywhere!" and jumped into a slot intended for (I believe) much lighter packages. :ohdear:

It did! You made some awesome choices by the way, and oddly enough I didn't even watch Doctor Who when I made my username, it was just a happy accident.

My Santee is supposed to get their package by Thursday, but we'll see if UPS holds up their end.

Edit:

Bicyclops posted:

I really like The Natural History of Fear too (and Scherzo, of course). Kromon is definitely one of the top 10 worst Big Finish stories, though, and it's good some stiff competition.

Natural History of Fear is one of my FAVORITE stories BF has produced, and I always recommend it in my "intro to BF" starter kit as a good recommendation of the different ways stories can be taken in the audio format.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Explain this. Please.

Apaches is the worst of those films. The second worst is the kid that goes into an electricity substation to collect his Frisbee and gets violently electrocuted.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Apaches is the worst of those films. The second worst is the kid that goes into an electricity substation to collect his Frisbee and gets violently electrocuted.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pALCl5GVs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm hand-wringing hoping that my santee likes the gifts I sent :ohdear:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I remember there was also an updated one from the 1990s where this kid goes in to recover his sister's doll after it's chucked over the fence by some other kids, something like that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That's the fucker. Good lord, I stayed the hell away from substations after that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I just had the thought of 'what if the Nation estate managed to sell the rights for the Daleks to CBS and didn't tell anyone?' Like, in a few months time, you're watching Star Trek Discovery and suddenly the Daleks turn up on the viewscreen. :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

:psyboom:

The gently caress Britain?!?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

https://youtu.be/y3FnCiRpdQ4

Remember kids! A badly animated cat is the best way to avoid getting molested! (lol, j/k, in the 1970s a cat wouldn't save you from the legions of TV celebrities).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TIL Santa lives in Maryland!

It doesn't say who my Santa was, but thanks for the books and the Old Bay! The cookies were delicious and didn't survive long enough to be pictured. I gotta find a place online that ships them to Texas, because :drat: they were delicious.

Put the Old Bay on stove-popped popcorn. Then ask yourself how you ever lived without such wonder.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I just received Yuri On Ice butt stickers in the mail. :monocle: The_Doctor, are you my Secret Santa?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

I just received Yuri On Ice butt stickers in the mail. :monocle: The_Doctor, are you my Secret Santa?

They arrived! :D

That's just the first part, there's more coming soon from the UK!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

They arrived! :D

That's just the first part, there's more coming soon from the UK!

Excellent, I could use more in the mail! (Most of what I get is junk, the packages are for everyone else.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McGann posted:

It did! You made some awesome choices by the way, and oddly enough I didn't even watch Doctor Who when I made my username, it was just a happy accident.

Oh good! I wanted to try and cover a form of Who you might not have tried yet, and hope I didn't spoil it too much with my :fap: 90s comics :shlick: posts of late.The monochrome art is gorgeous, though, isn't it?

BTW, there's a great story in there about how DWM made the writer remove a subplot about people the Time Lords had erased from history. Which worked out for the best, since he was able to adapt it into Neverland!

After The War fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 20, 2016

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LordZoric posted:

I remember my much younger self first listening to Kromon and being super creeped out by Charlie turning into a giant worm monster that I basically never wanted to listen to it again.

It was written by Phillip Martin, who wrote Vengeance on Varos, which, if you recall, had Peri turning into a bird monster.

A couple of years ago he wrote the Six Doctor audio Antidote to Oblivion. Care to guess what befalls Flip in this story?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

If it's working on you as an adult about 30 years removed from its original broadcast...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

A couple of years ago he wrote the Six Doctor audio Antidote to Oblivion. Care to guess what befalls Flip in this story?

I always forget this and whenever I remember it always makes me go "Of course!" again. That dude has a weird, creepy fetish.

I haven't gotten to Flip yet but I'm looking forward to her.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

LordZoric posted:

*Yes, I just spoilered a twelve year old niche audio drama. :dealwithit:

I clicked the 'quote' button to say your effort was appreciated, because I'm listening to that bunch at the moment... and of course the spoiler is displayed as plain text in the editor. :doh: Well, thanks anyway.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And what have we here?

Thanks, CaptainYesterday!

In a weird twist of fate, I was just finishing up making an all-Rush CD for a friend of mine who said that all Rush songs sound the same...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're welcome! I'm glad the package found you.

Now I wait for my package. :ohdearsass:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I was just finishing up making an all-Rush CD for a friend of mine who said that all Rush songs sound the same...

...are you a drummer? If so, I may have to press you into service.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

...are you a drummer? If so, I may have to press you into service.

I have no musical skills other than a voice that my church keeps trying to impress into the choir.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I didn't know when I was well off, all twelve of them.

No sir, all THIRTEEN!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

"The Kid" is a forgotten masterpiece imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is a highly-directional ultra sonic beam of

rock

and

roll

it kills

:smugdog:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Flight Bisque posted:

I didn't know when I was well off, all twelve of them.

No sir, all THIRTEEN!

Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... WELCOME TO THE PARTY, PAL!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

You're welcome! I'm glad the package found you.

Now I wait for my package. :ohdearsass:

It's gonna be late, I've had some issues recently. But it is on it's way finally. I don't know what dr who stuff you have but I hope I haven't doubled up on anything.

Post when you get it yo!

Jesus christ postage from aus to usa is hosed.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I have no musical skills other than a voice that my church keeps trying to impress into the choir.

Ah well. Nearly everyone I've ever met into Rush has been a musician, particularly drummers. But don't let no choir director keep you down!

CommonShore posted:

This is a highly-directional ultra sonic beam of

rock

and

roll

it kills

:smugdog:

You can't give us that without a visual:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I once read a story about a celebrity who got invited to William Shatner's house to watch some Canadian Football. He knew NOTHING about Canadian Football, had never watched it, but when William Shatner invites you, you go! So off he went and when he got there, ANOTHER celebrity guest was there. He asked the guy what he was doing there and the guy replied in a whisper,"I have no idea! :stare:"

I'd like to think that's how the guest stars generally felt about somehow ending up on Doctor Who during the JNT years.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I once read a story about a celebrity who got invited to William Shatner's house to watch some Canadian Football. He knew NOTHING about Canadian Football, had never watched it, but when William Shatner invites you, you go! So off he went and when he got there, ANOTHER celebrity guest was there. He asked the guy what he was doing there and the guy replied in a whisper,"I have no idea! :stare:"

I'd like to think that's how the guest stars generally felt about somehow ending up on Doctor Who during the JNT years.

Alexi Sayle is a great bit of casting but god knows what that character is even doing in Revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm not entirely sure what the Doctor is doing in Revelations, he barely does anything.

• Locked thread