Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Why rain nuclear fire when you can rain men instead?

"Yeah just brace your retro rocket against your chest to deorbit nbd"
:goonsay:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Anyways, the SLAM is pretty much the top of the heap for early Cold War super-science, and came pretty close to getting built.

I never really thought about this before, but how did Pluto 1) shield its electronic innards from all the radiation spewing, and 2) how did it receive instructions? I always thought the radioactivity would preclude receiving radio signals, and the whole SLAM thing was just pre-programmed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

I never really thought about this before, but how did Pluto 1) shield its electronic innards from all the radiation spewing, and 2) how did it receive instructions? I always thought the radioactivity would preclude receiving radio signals, and the whole SLAM thing was just pre-programmed.

"Some unsourced weblog posted:

Because the SLAM reactor would operate at high radiation levels without shielding, finding suitable electronics that could operate even for the few hours lifetime required was a daunting task. Careful selection and substitution of insulation materials, potting compounds, and semiconductors in a full complement of missile electronics such as guidance and control, telemetry and instrumentation was made with industry assistance. The largest radiation effects test ever conducted took place in 1964 in the Air Force’s NARF facility at General Dynamics under SLAM Program sponsorship. It was demonstrated that suitable system electronics were or could be made available for the SLAM mission.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The exhaust from this thing was extremely dirty with fission by products.

I've always seen that claimed, but it doesn't make sense to me.

The engine design was actually prototyped and tested. The fuel elements were HEU in a matrix of individual ceramic fuel elements. The only reason why there'd be fission products in the exhaust is if the fuel elements started to disintegrate. Granted, that was an issue with the solid-core fission rockets we've built, but it wasn't a design strength and if your fuel elements started falling apart and dispersing in the exhaust stream then the missile's not going to be able to keep flying around for very long.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The ultimate in Cold War 50s super-science insanity in aerospace is Project Pluto/SLAM, and it's really only rivaled by Project Orion. Even the WS-125 was a lesser example of volcano lair super-villainy.

SLAM stands for Supersonic Low Altitude Missile, and the idea was to build an intercontinental nuclear powered cruise missile. This seemed like a smart way to solve the key problem of nuclear powered aircraft - keeping the crew alive. No crew, no need for bio-shielding. In fact, in the twisted logic of the Cold War, this was a benefit since it made the weapon even more dangerous to the target.

It would have used nuclear ramjets - a pretty simple idea. The motion of the missile pushed air into the intake, where it was heated by a fission reactor, the air would expand due to heat, and get pushed out the back of the engine at high speed for thrust. When I say heat, I mean a lot of heat, because the concept requires pushing the air through the heart of the reactor. The exhaust from this thing was extremely dirty with fission by products. Such an engine would have provided effectively unlimited range and the ability to loiter, waiting for targeting instructions, for months on end.

The mission profile would have looked like this: launch it using conventional rocket boosters in order to get it to cruising speed, when the ramjet actually gets enough air to work (and, incidentally, to get the loving thing as far away from you as possible before you lit up the engine from hell).

Once the reactor was made critical - at which point only a few species of exotic fungus and bacteria could come within a 100m of it and live - the missile went into cruise mode and flew a holding pattern until further instructions came in, or proceeded directly to target. Once the attack run began, it would drop down to treetop level to get under Soviet radar and make a super-sonic dash to its primary targets. And by super-sonic, we're talking at least Mach 2+.

Now, they considered simply packing a single big warhead into it, but where was the fun in that? So instead the SLAM would carry multiple traditional atomic bombs and operate as a unmanned bomber. After hitting its primary six to ten targets with bombing runs, the missile would still be in fine working order. So the designers proposed that it be put into low-altitude circling patterns over populated areas. The shock wave from the thing would have knocked small structures flat on its own.

Eventually, weeks later, it would finally run out of power and crash. Two equally "desirable" options for end-of-life were envisaged. One, it would make a final dash to a target and slam into it at top speed. Two, it would simply loiter over populated areas until it went down, at which point you've got a mini-Chernobyl literally falling out of the sky. And the reactor would stay critical - producing radiation at lethal levels - for months even after it reached a power mode too low for flight operations. Even if you could get near it, there was no mechanism for shutting it off short of disassembling it.

This all sounds pretty ambitious, and the technical challenges were high, but they were a lot less daunting than, say, putting a man on the moon. By 1964, the US had successfully tested a nuclear ramjet operating at full power for five minutes. At which point the Pentagon got cold feet, deemed the weapon "too provocative," and cancelled the project. Considering this was an era where high ranking officers seriously suggested launching first strikes on the Soviet Union, in public, it gives you some idea of the monster they had on their hands.

Anyways, the SLAM is pretty much the top of the heap for early Cold War super-science, and came pretty close to getting built.

Yeah, I've covered Project Pluto before in this thread. Its the closest we ever got to Fallout style insanity: A nuclear rocket that could fly for months on end while poisoning the ground it flew over.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Spaced God posted:

Nah, it was in Teterboro, NJ. They got the nose section (cockpit + first class) of an 880 that was rotting in Atlantic City in 2012 and just opened it up to the public (mostly). Turns out that thing was S/N 2 or 3 and was a preproduction model used to demo to airlines before being sold to TWA. We even think Hughes flew it, given how hands-on he was.

Since I'm a tiny baby, I only came on in like 2014 and since I was primarily a tour guide I only did stuff like cleaning the gutted out interior and helping people who knew what they were doing. It got up to like 130 in there in August, so I can't imagine how bad it'd be in the Mojave!

It's got TWA livery, all the original interior redone (though the port seats were removed in favor of display cases) and I think we ended up getting the flight engineer's panel to light up. I can't find any photos of it right now since I'm travelling, but if you give me till the second week of January I'll be in town and I'll snap a few.

I remember seeing those two 880's sitting on the field at ACY while I was flying for a commuter back in the early 90's. I would have given my left nut to go poke around in them. Is this cockpit at the Aviation Hall of Fame by GAMA at TEB? I'm there probably twice a week and I'll have to make the trip over to the museum (and hit the Dassault store).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Phanatic posted:

I've always seen that claimed, but it doesn't make sense to me.

The engine design was actually prototyped and tested. The fuel elements were HEU in a matrix of individual ceramic fuel elements. The only reason why there'd be fission products in the exhaust is if the fuel elements started to disintegrate. Granted, that was an issue with the solid-core fission rockets we've built, but it wasn't a design strength and if your fuel elements started falling apart and dispersing in the exhaust stream then the missile's not going to be able to keep flying around for very long.

Only thing I can think of is maybe Xe-135 came out in the exhaust.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The fuel rods and cladding were strong enough, its just that an open reactor design like that will spew out radio-isotopes. That's all. It wasn't falling apart or else the design would've been scrapped sooner.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My favourite aspect of Project Pluto is that the plan for dealing with contamination of the launch crew and the initial flight over the continental US was "I guess not giving a gently caress" :911:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

The fuel rods and cladding were strong enough, its just that an open reactor design like that will spew out radio-isotopes.

Ah, gotcha. Looking further the fuel elements weren't HEU wrapped in ceramic, they were a homogeneous ceramic of uranium oxide, beryllium oxide, and zirconium oxide, so for any fissions that happen at the surface of a fuel element the fission fragments are just going to spit out into the airflow. Neat.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Phanatic posted:

Ah, gotcha. Looking further the fuel elements weren't HEU wrapped in ceramic, they were a homogeneous ceramic of uranium oxide, beryllium oxide, and zirconium oxide, so for any fissions that happen at the surface of a fuel element the fission fragments are just going to spit out into the airflow. Neat.

No wonder being PC has been a thing for the last twenty years, it turns out we had a surplus of fucks stored up after everybody in the 50's and 60's forgot to give any.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

MikeCrotch posted:

My favourite aspect of Project Pluto is that the plan for dealing with contamination of the launch crew and the initial flight over the continental US was "I guess not giving a gently caress" :911:
The official answer was they'd only be launched from the coast with SRBs and cold reactors, so no over-US flight with the nuclear ramjet and the crew would be safe since the cold reactor was a relatively minor radiation hazard, and a lot less dangerous overall than the poo poo we were fueling our SAMs with at the time.

The real answer is totally what you said though.

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, it's this. That's why I called it a feature and not a bug - a homogeneous fuel element is easier to deal with in a lot of ways, you just have that really big downside you mention. Unless it's not a downside.

Platystemon posted:

I consider Casaba Howitzer more insane.

Let’s put a nuclear shaped charge in orbit. Every orbit, we have the opportunity to strike, with no warning and no countermeasures.

You can’t afford not to nuke a country when they pursue a weapon like that.
Casaba Howitzer is insane, but its a more conventional sort of insanity.

It's the Rube Goldberg-esque solving problems you don't actually have the tech to solve aspect that puts Pluto at the top for me, and is the real heart of that '50s super-science vibe.

Basically the dividing line is whether it would fit better in a James Bond story, or a Jack Ryan story.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 19, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

ausgezeichnet posted:

I remember seeing those two 880's sitting on the field at ACY while I was flying for a commuter back in the early 90's. I would have given my left nut to go poke around in them. Is this cockpit at the Aviation Hall of Fame by GAMA at TEB? I'm there probably twice a week and I'll have to make the trip over to the museum (and hit the Dassault store).

That's the one! Nice folks down there. Last time I volunteered there proper the only way you could get into the 880 was during open cockpit weekends or booking a tour. Not sure if that's changed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Why rain nuclear fire when you can rain men instead?

"Yeah just brace your retro rocket against your chest to deorbit nbd"
:goonsay:

Worked for Sandra Bullock.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

I consider Casaba Howitzer more insane.

Let’s put a nuclear shaped charge in orbit. Every orbit, we have the opportunity to strike, with no warning and no countermeasures.

You can’t afford not to nuke a country when they pursue a weapon like that.

Thanks for this, I'd never even heard about that but that just gave me the biggest scifi nerd boner. I loving love this stuff, I'm sad the implications from this hasn't been picked up by sci-fi authors like James Corey (author of the Expanse series).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thanks for this, I'd never even heard about that but that just gave me the biggest scifi nerd boner. I loving love this stuff, I'm sad the implications from this hasn't been picked up by sci-fi authors like James Corey (author of the Expanse series).

The Expanse at least has H‐bombs.

They’re absent in a lot of sci‐fi for no discernible reason, even when they would dominate whatever silly tech the authors want to wank over.

Of course, nuclear shaped charges would poo poo all over pretty much everything.

P.S.: You may just being using a liberal definition of the word “author”, but “James S. A. Corey” isn’t a real person, or an alias of one. It’s a pen name used by a two‐man team.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

They’re absent in a lot of sci‐fi for no discernible reason, even when they would dominate whatever silly tech the authors want to wank over.

Of course, nuclear shaped charges would poo poo all over pretty much everything.

P.S.: You may just being using a liberal definition of the word “author”, but “James S. A. Corey” isn’t a real person, or an alias of one. It’s a pen name used by a two‐man team.

I wasn't actually, I honestly didn't know that. Then again, I read books and don't give a drat about authors lives generally. It'd be great if the one dude was named James and the other one was named Corey.

I don't mind that so much as long as quality books are written. Those two guys are nowhere near Peter F. Hamilton yet anyway. At least his good books.

Edit: Damnit, they ain't. They're called Daniel and Ty. Missed opportunity.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 20, 2016

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

personally i've always been a cheek man :c00lbutt:

F-8As also had that most amazingly toyetic of early jet era accoutrements, the pop-out FFAR tray. (The F-102 had them built into the payload bay doors because hey, why not?)

Now I'm on a weird stores kick. Off the top of my head, there's:
*The A-5 stores train which was mentioned recently
*Lightning overwing drop tanks
*Late-model F-101 rotating missile bay which replaced the guns

Any other noteworthy examples?

Blackburn Buccaneer had a rotating bomb bay...

https://youtu.be/GZ4T5BbK83o - check out 43 seconds in...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Battletech had nuclear weapons, but there was some sort of galaxy wide agreement against using one.

Dune had nukes (stone burners).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wasn't actually, I honestly didn't know that. Then again, I read books and don't give a drat about authors lives generally. It'd be great if the one dude was named James and the other one was named Corey.

I don't mind that so much as long as quality books are written. Those two guys are nowhere near Peter F. Hamilton yet anyway. At least his good books.

Edit: Damnit, it isn't. They're called Daniel and Ty. Missed opportunity.

We can all learn from Peter F Hamilton and his nukes that can destroy entire solar systems flying everywhere. (Or maybe I just imagined that into being)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^The Neutronium Alchemist? Absolute sci fi bullshit of the highest order and highly entertaining.

Just for something different, how many went and saw "Sully"?

I just saw it, and it was pretty interesting as a lay person who knows next to nothing about aircraft, but I assume most of the drama with the whole investigation was more than a little overexaggerated. It was a great movie, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I assume most of the drama with the whole investigation was more than a little overexaggerated.

It was completely made-up whole cloth, because 1. a movie requires some conflict and there was no villain in that story, so one had to be created, and 2. the director (Clint Eastwood) is a rabid libertarian.

I especially like this part:

Wikipedia posted:

Tom Hanks told the Associated Press that Sullenberger had reviewed an early draft of the script, which identified NTSB investigators by their real names, and asked that these be removed.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Cat Mattress posted:

It was completely made-up whole cloth, because 1. a movie requires some conflict and there was no villain in that story, so one had to be created, and 2. the director (Clint Eastwood) is a rabid libertarian.

Figures, and I definitely agree that there was no call for naming any actual names of investigators. Pretty sure everyone in that scenario did their job very well, which is why it's an uplifting story. I'd imagine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^The Neutronium Alchemist? Absolute sci fi bullshit of the highest order and highly entertaining.

Commonwealth and void trilogy get even sillier.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

Commonwealth and void trilogy get even sillier.

Having read all of those including Misspent youth, I have to say I enjoyed the Commonwealth series, but I hated the Dreaming Void and all the rest of that bullshit. I guess I feel like Hamilton lost his way after that, because I haven't picked up anything from him since.

Good sci fi is hard to come by, which is why I'm so happy about the success of the Expanse.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cat Mattress posted:

I figured the geese were the villains :haw:

Or at the very least Sully's doubt or uncertainty about his actions would have made a good villain. But nope gotta have the danggum guberment goons try to punish ARE HERO for doing the wrong thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Sully but that FAA investigators being transparently evil was pretty bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Dune had nukes (stone burners).

They had "atomics," use of which against people was a major treaty violation that will get all the other houses to unite against you. Stone burners were included, but were these weird things that were never really explained and emitted "J-rays" which would melt your eyeballs.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Let's play "Tom Hanks goes flying in this movie"

Sully
Cast Away
Apollo 13
The Terminal

Maybe he should stay on the ground

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

simplefish posted:

Let's play "Tom Hanks goes flying in this movie"

Sully
Cast Away
Apollo 13
The Terminal

Maybe he should stay on the ground

Forrest Gump

Boats not working out great either:
Saving Private Ryan
That movie where he's the Maersk Alabama captain.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trains are ok though.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I forgot the suitcase bit at the end of Toy Story 2 in the airport as well, but the flying bit at the end of Toy Story 1 was okay I suppose (although technically that was falling with style)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mlmp08 posted:

Boats not working out great either:
Saving Private Ryan
That movie where he's the Maersk Alabama captain.
Joe vs the Volcano

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

Joe vs the Volcano

I knew I was forgetting a young Hanks comedy.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Now I'm on a weird stores kick. Off the top of my head, there's:
*The A-5 stores train which was mentioned recently
*Lightning overwing drop tanks
*Late-model F-101 rotating missile bay which replaced the guns

Any other noteworthy examples?

I like the F89 for all the wacky bullshit they managed to cram into the front half of its wingtip tanks

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

No boat, and Dan Ackroyd did the flying?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Trains are ok though.

That bit on the ice? Eh, not so much.

ITT parents of small children out themselves.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Why does the South Dakota Air National Guard need jet planes with rocket pods

Who are they going to shoot, protestors?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MikeCrotch posted:

Why does the South Dakota Air National Guard need jet planes with rocket pods

Who are they going to shoot, protestors?

Because back then the Soviet bombers would be coming in over the North Pole. I'd imagine they were part of the apparatus meant to take down the bombers the Canadians missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The short story "Interrogation Team" by David Drake is a good usage of a nuke in science fiction.