Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To be fair..The Bajorans are kinda insufferable.Especially Kai Wynn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I think a good measure for the suitability for federation candidates could be how well they're able to resist the temptation to genocide bajorans.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To be fair..The Bajorans are kinda insufferable.Especially Kai Wynn.

She's the one I love to hate. That actor did a great job and the part is a good villain.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

I think a good measure for the suitability for federation candidates could be how well they're able to resist the temptation to genocide bajorans.

Do we let them join AFTER the Genocide or stop them before and then let them join?

And yeah,Wynn and Dukat are so hateable. Love em.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The "cool" thing about Kai Wynn is you kind of understand where she's coming from. I don't remember what episode it's from but her and Kira have a talk, and Wynn is like "During the occupation you had your weapons, I had my faith. I got beat on the regular because of my faith."

No wonder she's hard.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really feel as though the essential struggle of dukat is one that many can identify with in general.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Dukat's midnight "pst, hey I banged your mom, kk bye" call cements his status of best villain.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Police Automaton posted:

They call it the "stuck elevator challenge" in which a leader of candidate race is stuck in a turbolift with a Bajoran ambassador, which "malfunctions." If they last 4 hours, they're in. Oddly, if they kill the ambassador within 10 minutes they're also in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah Kai Wynn thought her self quite the martyr during the occupation, and thus deserved power and respect afterwards. She was also incredibly bitter her gods never talked to her yet they talked to a gross alien and violent terrorist leaders but not her. Her entire life was trying to prove to others that she had the most faith, was the best at religion and even after winning the grand prize at religion she still was ignored by her gods. Kira allllmost got through to her, when they figured out she needed to be humbled and needed to give up her title and just go off and meditate but nopppppe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nobody's better at faith than Kai Wynn. She's got the best faith, yooge faith.

naem
May 29, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Nobody's better at faith than Kai Wynn. She's got the best faith, yooge faith.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:vince:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
A match made in the not ominous at all fire caves.

Speaking of which, I love that Bajor is covered in weird magic ruins and towns haunted by dalrocks and yet federation scientists haven't bothered to go over to see what the hell is up with the place.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Moridin920 posted:

They're space fascists.

He's an earth fascist so it's kinda expected.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 20, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Speaking of which, I love that Bajor is covered in weird magic ruins and towns haunted by dalrocks and yet federation scientists haven't bothered to go over to see what the hell is up with the place.

they're busy with all the other planets like that

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

bloodychill posted:

Then we would have an episode of next generation instead of a series.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Personally one of my favorite parts about ds9 is that the antagonists are actually kinda believable. I mean they had to tone up Dukat in the later seasons because nerds literally fell for his shtick.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The best thing about Dukat is that everything he does bites Cardassia on the rear end eventually and his leadership leads them to complete ruin with their only experienced leader left being an Exile turned Traitor to his People and the death of the idea of Cardassia as an Empire.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

drilldo squirt posted:

Personally one of my favorite parts about ds9 is that the antagonists are actually kinda believable. I mean they had to tone up Dukat in the later seasons because nerds literally fell for his shtick.

The network fell for it too. Didn't they want to have a romance between Dukat and Kira that Nana Visitor shot down herself?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
OK just watched the holodeck nazi 2-parter the other night. "The Killing Game"

(Couldn't remember the name of the episode due to Strong Drink so i plugged the words "voyager nazi 2-parter" into Google and bam! First fuckin link)

How many reset buttons in one episode? I think I counted 3 in part 2.

I suspect this is the first time we see a non-strategically-shot pregnant Torres?

also : the way that her pregnancy was handwaved away was truly breathtaking

"It's a holo-pregnancy, but it sure kicks like the real thing"

OK CLASS, WHAT MIGHT THE PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS BE IF ONE WERE TO HAVE 5-6 KILOS WORTH OF MOSTLY-GROWN HOLO-BABBY MAGICKED INTO ONE'S VAG. OH AND DID I FORGET TO MENTION THAT THE SAFETY PROTOCOLS ARE TURNED OFF? BECAUSE THE SAFETY PROTOCOLS ARE TURNED OFF. :stare:

(fairly certain I've given more thought to this than did the Voyager writing staff)

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 20, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Police Automaton posted:

"Here, friends, some farm equipment"

"Are you guys really having a guerilla war in the mountains leading to a coup over who gets to use the farm equipment??"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The other day my wife watched the episode of Voyager where they have to memory wipe the doctor because he went crazy after letting a crewperson die. Triage is a pretty fundamental part of being a crew doctor, especially if you're an emergency backup, he totally should have lots of protocols for that poo poo instead of suffering an existential crisis.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mango sentinel posted:

The other day my wife watched the episode of Voyager where they have to memory wipe the doctor because he went crazy after letting a crewperson die. Triage is a pretty fundamental part of being a crew doctor, especially if you're an emergency backup, he totally should have lots of protocols for that poo poo instead of suffering an existential crisis.

but you see their chances of survival were EXACTLY EQUAL IN EVERY WAY. Computers hate equal probabilities.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"Are you guys really having a guerilla war in the mountains leading to a coup over who gets to use the farm equipment??"

If people were sympathetic to Dukat and the writers wanted to change that then lol all they had to do instead of making him more of an rear end in a top hat was make the Bajorans less of a bunch of assholes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I almost feel like Dukat and Sisko will be talking rationally about something and Kai Wynn comes in all "RAGE RAGE RAGE ABOUT USELESS poo poo ARGH" and Dukat just kind of looks at Sisko like "see bro? see???"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

FabioClone posted:

but you see their chances of survival were EXACTLY EQUAL IN EVERY WAY. Computers hate equal probabilities.

You'd think that would also have been covered as a trivial edge case, with an virtual coin flip on hand to settle the matter. Like, what if two people come in from the same reactor accident and both have the same 0% chances? Triage is his entire point of existence, it's the one thing that he had every right to be absolutely great at.

Actually that'd be a cool episode, there's a huge disaster on board and the doctor goes into 100% no-bullshit mode, moving around at inhuman speeds blazing a tricorder and hypospray seemingly at random. Janeway tries to interrupt him to ask a question and he just walks through her to someone on the edge of death. Does surgery on 2 people at a time, one with each hand, head switching back and forth exactly every .47 seconds. People are wandering in holding their heads and he takes a look, scans them with the tricorder, and he says "you're fine get out immediately" and shoves them out the door.

Anyone who tries to interfere gets The Hand and/or a canned screamed response to "STOP INTERFERING GET OUT OF MY SICKBAY PEOPLE ARE DYING". All the survivors haul in people and the doctor just tells them in clipped sentences where to put them. Afterwards people complain about getting their feelings hurt and the doc tells them to deal with it. The doctor is rightfully proud of his achievement of keeping the maximum number of people alive at the maximum level of health.

This wasn't already an episode or part of one, right?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Why even have a doctor? Why didn't they just have a bunch of floating hands? Answer me enzo.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moridin920 posted:

Sometimes I almost feel like Dukat and Sisko will be talking rationally about something and Kai Wynn comes in all "RAGE RAGE RAGE ABOUT USELESS poo poo ARGH" and Dukat just kind of looks at Sisko like "see bro? see???"

:lol: I can even hear it in my head.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Did they ever do an episode where the doctor diagnoses Janeway as unfit for duty and commandeers the ship? I feel like Crusher made a big deal about being the only person on board allowed to override Picard once or twice.

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

revolther posted:

Did they ever do an episode where the doctor diagnoses Janeway as unfit for duty and commandeers the ship? I feel like Crusher made a big deal about being the only person on board allowed to override Picard once or twice.

Pretty sure that was handwaved as a holoprogram aka a computer doesn't get that kind of authority

Still, I'm pretty sure it was brought up once or twice in the early seasons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I vaguely remember her being ordered to take some R&R and she tortured small animals pegged had rough passionate sex love affairs with a holographic irishman.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So Instead of watching Voyager, I gave up on that once the Hirogen got introduced and returned to rewatch DS9 yet again.
In the first 3 Episodes, there is more character introduction, good acting and development of said characters, of which you at this point know only a bit.
Yet you can believe that these characters are actual, real people. Portrayed by real humans, acting.The characters feel warm, familiar. Likeable.They have flaws and issues, but who doesn't?

The Scene with Picard saying goodbye to O'Brien is a great Scene. It has nothing to do with anything, but its...I dunno.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was telling my GF about how O'Brien must suffer and she wasn't really getting it; coincidentally the DS9 episode 'Defiant' was playing and mere moments after she said 'really?' Riker goes "I have nothing to say to you, O'Brien. You know why."

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

drilldo squirt posted:

Why even have a doctor? Why didn't they just have a bunch of floating hands? Answer me enzo.

That's exactly what that plot's about! Why do we like faces on technology, even when it might make it less efficient?

Cue monologue from the doctor

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Little Green Men is fantastic.

:stare: "They irradiated their own planet?"

edit: and Alanis Morissette plays the sexy nurse!

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 21, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Little Green Men is fantastic.

:stare: "They irradiated their own planet?"

edit: and Alanis Morissette plays the sexy nurse!

lol what?? no she doesn't. She doesn't?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

'it's like raaaaiiiinnnnn'
\