Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol at Falcom making ps4 games for international audiences but we're not getting the good ps4 version of Tokyo Xanadu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heh. I assume XSEED will be publishing Ys VIII so they may as well let the Mishy out of the bag now that Kondo more or less confirmed a western release.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

lets hang out posted:

lol at Falcom making ps4 games for international audiences but we're not getting the good ps4 version of Tokyo Xanadu

I kind of doubt that will remain the case. Does Aksys even have a release date on Tokyo Xanadu beyond "2017"? I mean, it could remain the case but that'd be really weird.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CS2 Anton quest: Success?

Poor dude is just a mess.:sad:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, also, CS3 speculation:

The fact that the kids are in uniforms, Rean isn't, and Altina is there leads me to think Osborne made a new class (Class 8, I guess?) and made Rean the teacher. The dark blue of the uniforms kind of fits with the Ironblood color scheme (silver, blue, black, from what I can tell looking at the other Ironbloods we've seen) and it being a special class for people that Osborne wants to work for him in the future would explain why they have different uniforms from the usual. And it'd explain where Rean's uniform went, if we're looking at a 2 or more year gap between games. We've only seen Alisa and Rean, but I could buy them as being 20ish at this point.

It'd also mirror Class 7. Olivier made a special class to try and push his ideals, Osborne can do the same.

And side note, but the dude with the silver-blue hair's swords look kind of like Laura's. Maybe a relative? Just a totally random guess, though, maybe that's just how big swords look.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 21, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a 1-2 year time skip, the finale of csii just goes into 1205 and III is gonna take place in 1206

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It's a 1-2 year time skip, the finale of csii just goes into 1205 and III is gonna take place in 1206
Yeah, that's like, barely enough time for Rean to graduate depending on how the timeframe shakes out.

Claire could be the teacher and Rean and Altina her 'assistants' or something, too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think your theory is wrong, lots of people seem to think the same, just felt like pointing out the exact time frame

also yeah apparently blue jusis is using arseid swords

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Falcom outright stated CS3 will be a little over a year and a half after the end of CS2

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rean is clearly gonna be the RA for a dorm full of bad guys.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I was kind of thinking the white was like the occupation color scheme since Rufus was in white at the end of cs2 but now Alisa's wearing white too :shrug:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

here's the sorta plot bio falcom's given out for those interested

quote:

“It starts a year and a half after the end of Trails of Cold Steel II. The members of Class VII, including the protagonist Rean, have graduated from the military academy and are each walking their own path. While the situation where Rean is being used by Osborne in Trails of Cold Steel II continues, he takes a new step at the beginning of Trails of Cold Steel III.

“This time, we’ll depict the western side of the empire, and you can also go to Byronia Island where there is a giant god statue similar to the one in Nord.

“The Trails in the Sky characters from Liberl Kingdom will appear again and join the party, and you’ll link up with a certain person from Trails in the Zero. The mystery of Rean’s birth will also be revealed in this game.”

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I don't think Claire will play a major role in CSIII since her JP voice actor died last year, and Japan really hates replacing voice actors. It seems more likely that it's just going to be Rean acting as a mentor.

I guess the real question is if the game will be taking place from Rean's perspective or from one of the new kids. It seems like most of the art is kind of...sidelining him.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Isn't the horned lion symbol normally with a red background though? And golden? That their horned lion patches have a blue background and are silver might suggest a larger change to the school in general rather than just a specific class unique uniform.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rean must be the MC, else I can't see the continuation of his forbidden romance with Sara.

And Jusis.

And like....everybody but Alisa and Millium. Ugh, Millium.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Clearly the emblems represent the western Erebonia branch of Thors, or something.

JUST SHOW ME PARM FALCOM, ITS BEEN 7 GAMES.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I can't wait for the scene where all of Rean's friends come back to beat the poo poo out of him for working for Hitler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I guess the real question is if the game will be taking place from Rean's perspective or from one of the new kids. It seems like most of the art is kind of...sidelining him.
According to Hatsuu, the magazine said he was still the protagonist. The art might be sidelining him because it's meant to introduce the new cast? Rean's a known quantity, so the promotional art is going to focus on the new elements.

I don't think Claire will play a major role in CSIII since her JP voice actor died last year, and Japan really hates replacing voice actors.
Och, that's rough. I like Claire. Hopefully she shows up in some capacity.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

According to Hatsuu, the magazine said he was still the protagonist. The art might be sidelining him because it's meant to introduce the new cast? Rean's a known quantity, so the promotional art is going to focus on the new elements.

Known quantity in a fantastic new outfit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are a couple of outliers obviously (Fie in CS2) but Falcom has really great character designs in general in the Trails series IMO.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think Claire will play a major role in CSIII since her JP voice actor died last year, and Japan really hates replacing voice actors. It seems more likely that it's just going to be Rean acting as a mentor.

Nooo my theories

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It wouldn't be unprecedented for Falcom to have Claire in just unvoiced.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

I can't wait for the scene where all of Rean's friends come back to beat the poo poo out of him for working for Hitler.

I can't wait to see which adult is going to come to the rescue of class VII when Rean powers up to Loewe-level badassery after the player wins the boss fight.

fake edit: only half serious here, can't wait to play CS3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Death Priest posted:

I can't wait to see which adult is going to come to the rescue of class VII when Rean powers up to Loewe-level badassery after the player wins the boss fight.

fake edit: only half serious here, can't wait to play CS3.

It turns out that they introduced new characters so the old characters can be the adults who come back to save the day.

None of them are playable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

It turns out that they introduced new characters so the old characters can be the adults who come back to save the day.

None of them are playable.
This would be oddly poetic.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It does kind of make me wonder, to be honest. It'd be weird if the game is actually final boss scenarios and you're using these new kids to stand toe-to-toe suddenly. I doubt they'd do that, but that also calls into question how these kids will end up fitting into the larger story. Playable only during one Act and maybe post-game? Playable throughout excepting most of the major fights that instead let you actually play the adult party that saves the day, now that the adult party is returning cast?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Decus posted:

It does kind of make me wonder, to be honest. It'd be weird if the game is actually final boss scenarios and you're using these new kids to stand toe-to-toe suddenly. I doubt they'd do that, but that also calls into question how these kids will end up fitting into the larger story. Playable only during one Act and maybe post-game? Playable throughout excepting most of the major fights that instead let you actually play the adult party that saves the day, now that the adult party is returning cast?

Since the group includes Altina, they might just end up giving them ridiculous levels?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just want the original cast + Estelle and Joshua + Lloyd I guess because he looks like a Virtua Cop.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endorph posted:

I don't think Falcom would cut her out after all the trouble they went through to go "REANxCLAIRE???" in the epilogue. Even if they're not willing to replace her VA, major characters have gone unvoiced before.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Don't put those over powered characters into your party if you make them demi-gods that can handle the elite supersoldiers of the world. Or at least make them so overpowered as guest characters like the mirror things in the final final dungeon of CS2.

I still don't believe Toval is supposed to be an actual threat as opposed to some goof that can barely handle rabbits on a mountain.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I think in this case, they'll simply be pragmatic and replace her. Japan may hate replacing voice actors, but it's reasonable to believe the main outline of the Steel arc's plot was written way before any of the voice actors were even hired and I don't see Falcom throwing their carefully laid-out plotline to the winds just because one of the characters' VA is unavailable. And Claire has more reason to be around than several of the Class VII members. With Class VII graduated, Altina and Millium being fairly young and more naturally inclined to follow orders without question and Lechter being his shifty self, Claire's probably the closest thing Rean has to a confidant among the Ironbloods.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
No, seriously. Japan is really weird about replacing VAs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They replaced Slayer's VA in Guilty Gear XRD almost immediately. And they replaced Lailah pretty quickly in the Tales of Zestiria anime, and that was actually the same VA. It's reason to wonder, but it's not some divine law that can never be broken.

Actually, let me put it this way: Miyu Matsuki had 3 ongoing roles at the time of her death (Lailah in Zestiria, Magical Sapphire in Prism Ilya, and Meronya in a series of ad shorts called Kotori Samba) and she was replaced in all of them within weeks of her passing. It isn't a big deal. It's more of a deal than it is in the west, but it isn't the end of the world.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 22, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
igor's va died a week after persona 4 released and after mostly handling his reappearances in side material by reusing voice clips he reappeared in persona 5 with a new va so, uh, yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where does the 'Japan hates replacing voice actors' thing come from anyway, I can think of quite a few iconic roles who's original actor died and they got replaced pretty quickly, Kenshiro, Lupin...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Japan hates RECASTING voice roles but they will definitely replace a deceased voice actor, that happens all the time.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Where does the 'Japan hates replacing voice actors' thing come from anyway, I can think of quite a few iconic roles who's original actor died and they got replaced pretty quickly, Kenshiro, Lupin...

Akira Kamiya isn't dead, just old.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My go to example is always Gundam's Sayla Maas, whose actress was either out of the country or battling sickness whenever a new series would come out. New characters would just be created to take her place instead of recasting her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Octo1 posted:

Akira Kamiya isn't dead, just old.

Huh I totally thought he was dead, nevermind that one then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm a fan of the theory that they stopped making haruhi stuff because aya hirano was publicly shamed for having sex