Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

Reminder that they released a PTU patch last sunday, lol

I genuinely expect them to release something on Christmas Day. Friday we'll see a massive release that will immediately turn into a giant clusterfuck. Devs will work overtime to fix the problem, but attrition and people's travel plans will slowly erode the number of bodies available to address the problem. The time zone differential will make it particularly difficult, with the folks in the UK and Germany getting particularly screwed. Finally at the last minute they'll give up and release whatever they have. The end result will be an entire company full of tired, angry people who have little to show for all of their frustration while the community screams about how lovely and unplayable the new release is. Many folks will spend a long, hard Christmas with their families deciding if the abuse and mismanagement is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Hey now.
Leaving comments in someone elses code is still coding.
//TODO: Layer the code to support 1000 concurrent players in real time here please.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Decrepus posted:

Imagine being so creatively bankrupt you have to copy the same post every page.

But they don't. They Archer themselves. Archerception. WHOM WHOM!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

tooterfish posted:

//TODO: Layer the code to support 1000 concurrent players in real time here please.

Set_Max_Players = 1000

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

grimcreaper posted:

'So here I was, right? Sitting in this lovely little pub. I was half drunk at this point and doodling on a napkin. I think I made a spaceship... or maybe it was a penis? I don't really remember... At any rate, sitting there. Minding my own drinkusiness.

This thumb head guy walks by me and notices my doodle and he starts flailing his hands around. 'That's amazing! I had a dream about a ship that looked just like that! Would you like a job as an artist?'

And so began my career. (Copyright Ryan Archer, do not steal, copyright grimcreaper) (do not Ryan Archer in any way shape or form unless you are Derek Smart, Internet Warlord.)

- Ryan Archer, My True Story and Biography I Wrote

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

quote:

We will have to see what the demands of game development are this year. They've already kept the studios open an extra week because 2.6 was doing great and breaking out of its Agile cycle so its not like the employees will have any other plans left.

But the PTU has been going super well with the bug smashing so hopefully they won't need anyone this Sunday to smash bugs

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

It takes practice to learn to fire, make a long sharp stick and go to town. It's not like the Zs are even trying to avoid getting a sharp stick in the face from 2 meters away.

Depends whether we get Walking Dead style zombies or World War Z/28 Days Later style zombies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Guys... I'm sorry. It's all my fault.

quote:

You're also part of the reason why SC is in its current condition. Chris was originally pitching Freelancer 2.0, and that version would've likely been released by now. But you and your carebear friends saw an opportunity to drive yet another game into the ground, and unfortunately for Chris, he fell for your sweet-talk.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

You monster

Without you Chris would be driving a sensible Honda Fit

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ArfJason posted:

stop posting erotic spaceship imagery of spaceships,

Did I miss erotic spaceships somewhere? Or are you talking about the pencil sketches from awhile Ago?

Please this is very important

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I genuinely expect them to release something on Christmas Day. Friday we'll see a massive release that will immediately turn into a giant clusterfuck. Devs will work overtime to fix the problem, but attrition and people's travel plans will slowly erode the number of bodies available to address the problem. The time zone differential will make it particularly difficult, with the folks in the UK and Germany getting particularly screwed. Finally at the last minute they'll give up and release whatever they have. The end result will be an entire company full of tired, angry people who have little to show for all of their frustration while the community screams about how lovely and unplayable the new release is. Many folks will spend a long, hard Christmas with their families deciding if the abuse and mismanagement is worth it.

The mandatory overtime will be nice for them tho. Good expenditure of backer funds.

Bah Humbug.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jonny Nox posted:

Did I miss erotic spaceships somewhere? Or are you talking about the pencil sketches from awhile Ago?

Please this is very important

Or even a brand new Toyota Yaris

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I love this bit of fiction a few layers up:

brig1763 posted:

Meanwhile, contrast that with Chris Roberts, pushing himself extremely hard to make his games not even better necessarily, but different from each other, so that customer wouldn't feel like buying rehashes.
Yes. Pushing himself to make his game different from each other.

• WC
↓↳ WC2 (same game, but with more cutscenes)
↓      ↳ SC (same game, but with jet fighters)
↓      ↳ WC3 (same game, but with FMV)
↓      ↳ WC4 (same game but with… actually, just same game).
↳ WC:P (same game, but more like Elite)
       ↳ P2 (same game, but insane, and with FMV)
       ↳ Freelancer (same game but without FMV and insanity).

When the hell did Chris ever make a game different from each other? Wing Commander wasn't the same as Major Stryker, but that's about it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

You know what's more hilarious than blaming you for SC's failure? Someone who thinks Elite is a "fenomenal" game.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

MeLKoR posted:

It takes practice to learn to fire, make a long sharp stick and go to town. It's not like the Zs are even trying to avoid getting a sharp stick in the face from 2 meters away.

Spear's would be good but longbow is the best it works from further away, you can recycle and make new ammo easily and with practice they are very accurate and powerful.

Also why do the protagonists in zombie things always open doors to deal with a load of zombies trapped inside, I'd fasten a chain round the handles or brace the door so it only opened a few inches and stab them all through the gap in complete safety.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
/\/\/\/\ e: it takes even more practice to become good with a bow and "no ammo" is better than "recyclable ammo". Just put a couple of guys outside the door with spears, line up a few barrels to force them into a little gauntlet and poke them in the noggin.

scrubs season six posted:

Depends whether we get Walking Dead style zombies or World War Z/28 Days Later style zombies.

If it's the later it doesn't make a difference which weapons you have.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 22, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZoA3byeoI

This is amazing. Depending on how it looks once EA hits I may buy in.

Not sure what the state of it now is, but a few months ago, at a gaming con, GFs brother played with it a bit and managed to glitch out and clip through a spaceship wall in like minutes.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 22, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

If it's the later it doesn't make a difference which weapons you have.

…unless it's a Braindead-style lawnmower.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

28 days later didn't have zombies :colbert:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WWZ zombies ARE slow zomb-

Oh you watched that poo poo movie

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Phi230 posted:

WWZ zombies ARE slow zomb-

Oh you watched that poo poo movie

The Starship Troopers of zombie movies.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Starship Troopers of zombie movies.

But that would mean the movie was better than the book. :colbert:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TheLightPurges posted:

They all gave Ben 10k months ago for literal jpgs he promised to upload at some point in the future.

Ben has a new Kickstarter for $15,000--going to be expensive to haul all those boxes back to Austin.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Romero slow zombies are the only proper zombies, fast zombies are a low budget thing to make things scarier with a lower number of actors and less makeup.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Romero slow zombies are the only proper zombies, fast zombies are a low budget thing to make things scarier with a lower number of actors and less makeup.

Slow zombies are not a credible ELE.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

…unless it's a Braindead-style lawnmower.

Must also have a priest who "kicks arse for the lord" :)

*I have twisted sense of humour and found it really funny*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I still can't get by the zombies not rotting away into non-functionality in a few months.

I liked walking dead early on because they were going with a "not dead but suffering from a form of meningitis" theme. But then you have rotted skeleton people still running around outside after being dead for months.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

But that would mean the movie was better than the book. :colbert:

Look at this post and its terrible opinions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly this thread is the best Christmas present I could have ever asked for. I'm learning so much.

quote:

hes why people hate goons.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Slow zombies are not a credible ELE.

Maybe if it happened on Black Friday — their slowness combined with the huge crowds would make store queues grow unmanageable when people start turning on each other in frustration, forcing ever increasing means of pacification to be rolled out until someone just nukes everything to get rid of the mess.

Because as with all zombie stories, in the end, humanity is the true monster. It would also fit with the themes of both Night and Dawn of the Dead.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look at this post and its terrible opinions.

Starship Troopers is the best movie-not-even-remotely-adaptaton ever, and all suggestions otherwise are inherently wrong and silly and laughable.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 22, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:perfect:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

I still can't get by the zombies not rotting away into non-functionality in a few months.

I liked walking dead early on because they were going with a "not dead but suffering from a form of meningitis" theme. But then you have rotted skeleton people still running around outside after being dead for months.

Unless it's 28 Days Later "Super Rabies" zombies don't work because they are perpetual motion machines. :rimshot:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

quote:
You're also part of the reason why SC is in its current condition. Chris was originally pitching Freelancer 2.0, and that version would've likely been released by now. But you and your carebear friends saw an opportunity to drive yet another game into the ground, and unfortunately for Chris, he fell for your sweet-talk.
Guys... I'm sorry. It's all my fault.

Holy poo poo! And so it begins!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://youtu.be/so2pDP7Jsmo

No game but AMAZING FACIALS

Amazing.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Pretty sure I've had more fun playing Astroneer on early access for like fifteen quid than any SC whale has managed to have playing the hot buggy mess that is Star Citizen. This amuses me.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

spacetoaster posted:

Walking dead the show? They were clearly dead from the first episode.

Slow zombies are the only good ones. While the 28 DL was an interesting take, it didn't really feel like a zombie movie.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

orcinus posted:

Amazing.

Forget the Morrow tour.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

Starship Troopers is the best movie-not-even-remotely-adaptaton ever, and all suggestions otherwise are inherently wrong and silly and laughable.

Starship Troopers is an excellent movie. It's not better than the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

1500 posted:

Walking dead the show? They were clearly dead from the first episode.

Slow zombies are the only good ones. While the 28 DL was an interesting take, it didn't really feel like a zombie movie.

Yeah, I was going off of the Atlanta CDC stuff from the show.

Having a degree in forensic anthropology has ruined shows like that for me.