Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Looks like fantastic contraption is the same price on the steam christmas sale that just went live (10% off, $25)

Onward is $20! Yoink! Other good deals IMO are SPT for $11, Vanishing realms for $14, Serious Sam for $30 (maybe). I'd buy tilt brush for $20 but it still doesn't have layers.

They still want $40 for eve valkerie, lmao, what a trash heap that game is.

Job simulator is full price :argh:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I'd buy tilt brush for $20 but it still doesn't have layers.

Take one step backward. There's your new layer.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
Does the Doom 3 VR mod require Doom 3 BFG or just the normal one? Because they're both on sale on Steam.

Edit: It's the BFG edition.

Amused Frog fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 22, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone lay out the locomotion and turning options in Onward? Can I jog in place to move around? I saw there's snap turning for Oculus Touch now... I really want to try the game but I'm very nausea-prone.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zero VGS posted:

Can anyone lay out the locomotion and turning options in Onward? Can I jog in place to move around? I saw there's snap turning for Oculus Touch now... I really want to try the game but I'm very nausea-prone.

It's analog based, and it's the best analog based locomotion. It just works in a very sensible way, unlike many forms of analog locomotion that get confused on exactly where I'm trying to go.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's analog based, and it's the best analog based locomotion. It just works in a very sensible way, unlike many forms of analog locomotion that get confused on exactly where I'm trying to go.

Thanks... I'm seeing enough people reporting really bad motion sickness from Onward in the steam forums, maybe I'll hold off for now and just get Sports Bar VR and stuff to keep me busy until there's some other locomotion options.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks... I'm seeing enough people reporting really bad motion sickness from Onward in the steam forums, maybe I'll hold off for now and just get Sports Bar VR and stuff to keep me busy until there's some other locomotion options.

I don't know how current the science on VR sickness is but from what I've been seeing around here, motion sickness as a result of VR locomotion is temporary for a lot of people, like rocking-waves-on-a-ship motion sickness is

of course for some it's totally intolerable, but it's interesting to me that the problem can go away for others (like me)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know how current the science on VR sickness is but from what I've been seeing around here, motion sickness as a result of VR locomotion is temporary for a lot of people, like rocking-waves-on-a-ship motion sickness is

of course for some it's totally intolerable, but it's interesting to me that the problem can go away for others (like me)

Yeah, I spent years on a Navy ship, but I've always been the type to get carsick and never overcame seasickness either, even with months underway.

Most of the Touch games have been swell for me, I can do teleporting stuff for hours, but games like Ripcoil I couldn't stand for more than 60 seconds.

I'm hopeful that the "run in place" type solutions might do the trick for me. Actually after some more Googling I found this, so I think I'll give it a try tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZY0dOIY1c

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Try Climbey, it uses running in place when you're on the ground.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
So, it's been a few months now and a lot of you have had a chance to own a high-end VR headset. What are your thoughts about the future of this technology? Will it always remain a niche product for enthusiasts, or is there a possibility of it becoming mainstream? What do you think the major hurdles are, and do you see them being overcome? Is there a killer app in the wings? From my own experience, I only have a first gen consumer Gear VR. It's a nice device, but it isolates you. So it's not something I would feel comfortable using while around even very close people, except to show them a few cool gimmicks. It also fogs up really quickly, which can be solved by pre-heating of course, but is rather annoying.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Exioce posted:

So, it's been a few months now and a lot of you have had a chance to own a high-end VR headset. What are your thoughts about the future of this technology? Will it always remain a niche product for enthusiasts, or is there a possibility of it becoming mainstream? What do you think the major hurdles are, and do you see them being overcome? Is there a killer app in the wings? From my own experience, I only have a first gen consumer Gear VR. It's a nice device, but it isolates you. So it's not something I would feel comfortable using while around even very close people, except to show them a few cool gimmicks. It also fogs up really quickly, which can be solved by pre-heating of course, but is rather annoying.

People go nuts for this poo poo because it's awesome, but it's not currently user friendly enough for widespread adoption. Once there's at least 4k per eye and the headsets are all wireless and do inside out tracking for ~$500 or less this poo poo is going to explode.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The great thing about the Oculus store is that you can't see the price of a game once you've bought it. You'll never know if it went on sale for less than what you paid.

You can see the prices on the webpage version of Home.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

That sucks. However, I doubt (and I hope) that no more locomotion methods will be added to Onward since it would either look awful (e.g. The Art of Fight) or be horribly imbalanced (Teleportation in a realistic game). Hopefully a solution is found so that everyone can enjoy analog/trackpad locomotion.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Lemming posted:

People go nuts for this poo poo because it's awesome, but it's not currently user friendly enough for widespread adoption. Once there's at least 4k per eye and the headsets are all wireless and do inside out tracking for ~$500 or less this poo poo is going to explode.

At the expected pace of technology, is this something a decade out or a few decades out? My understanding is that such would require shrinking chips down to nothing, and we're already approaching the point where it's extremely difficult to shrink things any further.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Materially less than a decade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's mostly about building better displays and better eye tracking. Having 4K per eye right now would be way too taxing on graphics hardware. Foveated rendering with good eye tracking would lower the load on GPUs by a lot. We also need cable standards with more bandwidth. I don't know if there's one cable that can currently drive two 4K screens at 90+ hz.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We need to get away from cables, which makes foveated rendering and other tricks even more important.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Exioce posted:

High end VR will always be niche like anything high end is, but more and more phones going forward are going to support VR and mobile VR is only going to get better and better as HMD designs improve and positional tracking is solved. I think within 5 years most of the midrange+ phones will be VR capable, whether or not people actually use that capability is something else altogether but if there's worthwhile things to do in VR then people will get over whatever initial feelings they have about it. There's going to be a big base of widely accessible VR content as WebVR development continues, also.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

I don't get any motion sickness from Onward, you feel really connected inside the game because of all the props used to convey your presence. Your hands, part of your torso and your gun being visible makes it feel really natural.
Space sim games with rapid roll / pitch changes can give me a a small twinge for a brief moment, but I have adapted to that for the most part.
Of course everyone is different so YMMV

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bhodi posted:

They still want $40 for eve valkerie, lmao, what a trash heap that game is.

Just curious but why is Valkyrie so lovely?

It looks pretty and it seems like a VR spaceship game should be easy to make

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
CCP games, who are known for their long line of good business decisions, feel that a multiplayer only VR game justifies a 60$ pricetag.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Somewhere along the line my order for the 3rd sensor must have gotten hosed. After some back and forth with support and talking to one of the lead support guys on reddit, they asked me to send them a photocopy of my license :wtc: which is kinda weird but whatever (I guess since I don't have a facebook account they really want my personal info lol). I dunno, I live in the states, didn't have any problem with my $600 Rift or $200 Touch, but all of a sudden a $79 third sensor has become this weird rear end ordeal lol. Ah well.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 23, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Oovee posted:

CCP games, who are known for their long line of good business decisions, feel that a multiplayer only VR game justifies a 60$ pricetag.

Alternatively, War Thunder is a free-to-play VR game with more satisfying dogfighting mechanics.

edit: poo poo, didn't realize they put naval ships in the game now, gotta make room on my drive for it again

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 23, 2016

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Picked up Raw Data, which is awesome.

Bought Thumper, played the first level and refunded it. Doesn't seem like a $16 game to me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Shredder posted:

Bought Thumper, played the first level and refunded it. Doesn't seem like a $16 game to me.

Thumper is definitely worth it, the first levels start you off as a kind of tutorial and it builds up from there. If you liked Rez (and gently caress, I paid $60 for that back in the day) then this is a steal.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I tried the PocketStrafe app, but for all the effort and presentation on their site and YouTube, the app is pretty disappointing. It looks like you just put the phone in your pocket, and when it reaches a certain threshold of "waggle" (you can adjust this threshold), it'll send a "W" key press to the game (you can adjust how long it holds the "W" key for. I was hoping it might have done something a bit more advanced, like comparing your pants pocket orientation against your head to tell if you're looking to the side while running in place forwards, and sending some strafe-key inputs instead. Or at least just watching the ride and fall of your leg to detect steps instead of what feels more like Wiimote waggle. I'll ask the developers how exactly it's working becuse there doesn't seem to be any alternatives and this could do a lot more with a bit of work.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I managed to get the touch setup done tonight. Haven't played too much yet, have way too many games from the Oculus and Steam sales queued up and downloading overnight.

This said, Bullet Train is the coolest goddamn five minutes I've ever had in a video game, holy shiiiiiiit.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

bloodysabbath posted:

I managed to get the touch setup done tonight. Haven't played too much yet, have way too many games from the Oculus and Steam sales queued up and downloading overnight.

This said, Bullet Train is the coolest goddamn five minutes I've ever had in a video game, holy shiiiiiiit.

It really is. It's insanely fun and I'm excited as gently caress for Robo Recall.

edit: You should probably get Super Hot if you haven't already. It's similar and, although short, IMO it's probably the best game in VR.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 23, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Poetic Justice posted:

It really is. It's insanely fun and I'm excited as gently caress for Robo Recall.

edit: You should probably get Super Hot if you haven't already. It's similar and, although short, IMO it's probably the best game in VR.

I just beat Super Hot VR and I just started right over because it's so loving good.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Shredder posted:

You on Touch? How's the barrel angle feel?

I can't wait until all devs get on the adjustable angle train

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if artificial locomotion options like WASD, joystick movement, etc would feel better if games had a defined hud. I noticed a lot of people said they had issues with running in a game, but if they were in a cockpit they were fine. Maybe if there was a more defined HUD or some UI elements that made it looked like you were wearing a helmet / etc would solve some of those issues?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eonwe posted:

I wonder if artificial locomotion options like WASD, joystick movement, etc would feel better if games had a defined hud. I noticed a lot of people said they had issues with running in a game, but if they were in a cockpit they were fine. Maybe if there was a more defined HUD or some UI elements that made it looked like you were wearing a helmet / etc would solve some of those issues?

This is definitely the case and it's an option in the RE7 demo that I found helped a great deal. Lots of games that seem to have huge obtrusive HUDs are doing it for this reason.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, thats cool. I'd really like to see games make joystick / WASD an option. I've finally got room scale, and its great, but for actual movement I'm not crazy about it or teleportation. I like the idea of roomscale for dodging, hiding behind stuff, looking around corners, that kind of stuff, but I like more traditional control schemes for walking.

I get that it won't necessarily happen because VR sickness doesn't bug me like it does a lot of people. I had it at first, but I was somehow able to get over it. I played 5089 and did a lot of jumping off cliffs and stuff and just took a 30 minute break whenever I felt queasy. Eventually I stopped feeling movement sickness.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shredder posted:

Bit silly since it really amps up as the game goes on. One of the best games this year, with or without VR.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hi, I am having trouble following basic instructions delivered by an internet celebrity. Can someone point out whats wrong with the following?

1) Clean install of Doom BFG
2) Copy /base folder over with HD mod, copy over Oculus runtime files and folders, delete and replace /base/script folder
3) Ensure steam is closed and run Doom VR .exe
4) ??? Explorer hangs and I can't see anything in particular in the task manager. Chrome and other open windows (like here) are fine.

Have a rift, win10, r290x card. Any ideas?

Next, I tried that file that's meant to make Google Earth VR accept the rift but it didn't appear to work, .dll file in the right folder. Tried the older hexedit trick but the numbers didn't match. Suggestions also appreciated!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

AndrewP posted:

Yep. Seems fine. If you actually use the gunsights you can get headshots from pretty far off. Reloading can sometimes be janky since your hips don't always line up with the headset, but it works 90% of the time.

The punch mechanics could use some work, I don't like having to put that much velocity into a swing in a small play area, especially since they seem to back out of the space you're in, so you're more likely to swing at a wall.

But overall it's super fun, and works well on Touch.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Sword Master VR on steam winter sale for cheap is good fun, works well on rift too!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

If things seem "off" in the game, set the rawdata.exe to run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode... seems to fix a few things. I had to do that at first, but after a recent patch, I turned it off, and it still seems ok for me. Friend just got his touch controllers and he had to turn it on for things to work right.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Chop Sunni posted:

Hi, I am having trouble following basic instructions delivered by an internet celebrity. Can someone point out whats wrong with the following?

1) Clean install of Doom BFG
2) Copy /base folder over with HD mod, copy over Oculus runtime files and folders, delete and replace /base/script folder
3) Ensure steam is closed and run Doom VR .exe
4) ??? Explorer hangs and I can't see anything in particular in the task manager. Chrome and other open windows (like here) are fine.

Have a rift, win10, r290x card. Any ideas?

Next, I tried that file that's meant to make Google Earth VR accept the rift but it didn't appear to work, .dll file in the right folder. Tried the older hexedit trick but the numbers didn't match. Suggestions also appreciated!

I had the video up while following the text guide:

Zero VGS posted:

Someone posted a very in-depth Oculus + Touch mod setup a few days ago; yo ucan launch the game right from Oculus Home, and it has some neat stuff like snap turning, and you can point with your finger in-game and poke the menus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNt6LJFGsI

Here's a text guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5hww0r/doom_3_bfg_vr_oculus_touch_guide/

Whenever Steam stops making GBS threads the bed you could try:
Uninstalling D3BFG
Make sure the steamapps\common\doom 3 bfg edition folder is gone
Reinstall
Download the 3 zips (textures, mod, scripts) and make a new folder for each to cleanly extract them to. (I hit a snag with the texture pack, it error'd after a while on unzip and I had to redownload.)
Then redo the 'Installation' steps from the text guide. Make sure Steam is exited, there was also a mention to make sure any audio mixer apps like Voicemeeter are exited and the Rift headphones are set as your default Windows audio output (I did that the first time but had it set to default and let Oculus switch the audio over no problem last night).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I started from the beginning and followed all the tips for audio and it works! Many thanks.

It's amazing. Snap turning takes something away from it somehow, but it's that or die, so

I'm always so impressed by what the modders here, the evil wii vr guy, etc can do, just so great.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 23, 2016