Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Propagandist posted:

See you in the 'Yard, commandos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Brilliant move from Chris here. When this is all over the citizens will forever believe the failure was all somehow Amazon's fault.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kakarot posted:

nice job, everyone should doxx their parents on Christmas

Doxxing was Christmas Eve. Today after the traditional death threats I decided to give her a nice card to go with the present I brought (note the completed pavlova, ready for decoration with cream and berries!)

They say that the best messages are the heartfelt ones.

I love my mum, and especially love catching up with her and letting her know what's going on in my life; I know she really appreciates it.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Junkyard

Jankyard?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Challenge:

Retort:

The guy explains delta patching for a game that CAN'T FIGURE OUT DELTA PATCHING, and ignores the point of the question.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Hes a dude that does lighting hes pretty much a layperson

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
You know what I kind of wish I had sold my silly freelancer package when the getting was good but a long time ago i decided the entertainment value i had derived from the game just from these threads far outweighed the cost of the game. And now I get this news about a full game engine change for christmas. It's a miracle of tragedy/hilarity!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

The Titanic posted:

I bet one of their programmers did it over the weekend while also sipping tea and looking over an old garage door opener.

Engine switch is literally just take all the source code and paste them together and hit compile. Easiest thing in the world really. Same with layering the code behind the ideas.

Everybody knows the hard part is coming up with all these ideas. Good thing they have Chris Roberts for those! His latest great idea of "dump everything, revert to a free engine based on CryEngine!" was literally phenomenal. I hope he gives himself a huuuuge Christmas bonus for that one!!! :allears:

"lol"

they're so hosed. i love it.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Snorting through the blow
His hair is a toupee
Concept art we show,
Laughing all the way
Folds on Ben's arms swing,
Such a ghastly sight
What fun it is the truth to hide
Development starts tonight

Oh, jingle bells, Ben's folds smell
Ortwin ran away
The backers are blind never mind
They're still gonna pay

*begins intense festive break dance routine*

Quoting from pages ago to thank you for this.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Either the switch is already done and the game still sucks or it has yet to be done and the game may be possible but we don't know yet

Lumbercuck

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ewe2 posted:

The guy explains delta patching for a game that CAN'T FIGURE OUT DELTA PATCHING, and ignores the point of the question.

I like Ben. He seems to want to be helpful and explain behind the scenes stuff. The problem is he knows he has to filter it through CIG approved messaging, so it is often light on actual details or doesn't make much sense. He also has the shortcoming where he can't simply explain a technical detail, and describes it in terms of his personal conceptualisation of the detail. i.e. It makes sense in my head. So if I write what's in my head it down, it should make sense to everyone else.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ewe2 posted:

Challenge:

Retort:

No, you see 'CryEngine + (StarEngine + Lumberyard) / 2 = perfectly working updated engine'. Super easy.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tokamak posted:

I like Ben. He seems to want to be helpful and explain behind the scenes stuff. The problem is he knows he has to filter it through CIG approved messaging, so it is often light on actual details or doesn't make much sense. He also has the shortcoming where he can't simply explain a technical detail, and describes it in terms of his personal conceptualisation of the detail. i.e. It makes sense in my head. So if I write what's in my head it down, it should make sense to everyone else.

He often simply doesnt know. He has a very specific role at cig in lighting rendering. I work at a hospitall with hundreds of employees i only have a vague idea what goes on in radiology

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 25, 2016

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

VealCutlet posted:

Quoting from pages ago to thank you for this.

This one was my favorite and should be the thread title

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

God Rest You Merry, Starengine.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
NORAD's Santa Tracker Began With A Typo And A Good Sport

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

If that was CIG it would be a premium rate number before the first call stopped ringing

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

:3:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/812718683323793408

:gary:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Happy Christmas Eve, all you fucks screaming at a video game.

I'm thankful for the wondrous year I've spent with all of you. You're all part of my trolling, backstabbing, instigating family.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Um, that's not the way stock ownership works in this case, Dr. Smart, especially since Amazon doesn't pay a dividend, yet. Maybe you could argue that CIG money could help fund stock buy-backs, but that's an indirect benefit of stock ownership and buybacks don't happen all the time.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Breetai posted:

Doxxing was Christmas Eve. Today after the traditional death threats I decided to give her a nice card to go with the present I brought (note the completed pavlova, ready for decoration with cream and berries!)

I love my mum, and especially love catching up with her and letting her know what's going on in my life; I know she really appreciates it.

You know... as someone who knows the 4th Stimpire stuff, I would find that pretty funny to get.. you know, Mr. Smart, I think you missed a golden opportunity to mail out 4th Stimpire greeting cards to everyone this year.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

I like Ben. He seems to want to be helpful and explain behind the scenes stuff. The problem is he knows he has to filter it through CIG approved messaging, so it is often light on actual details or doesn't make much sense.

He ruins it by getting into a pissing match about analogies shortly thereafter. As TheLightPurges says, he's not in a position to be a spokesman for the whole project, but I found it hella funny that he understood the concept of deltas for a game that can't do that for its testers let alone subscribers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ewe2 posted:

He ruins it by getting into a pissing match about analogies shortly thereafter. As TheLightPurges says, he's not in a position to be a spokesman for the whole project, but I found it hella funny that he understood the concept of deltas for a game that can't do that for its testers let alone subscribers.

He should have spent a few minutes to calculate what the delta was between missing seats.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

He should have spent a few minutes to calculate what the delta was between missing seats.

I'd prefer it if he figured out the delta pertaining to how many seats he takes up on a plane.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

My neighbor has some nice additions on his house. Our houses are built from nearly the same original blueprint. I'm going to buy his house and stick his nice additions onto my house. Should be easy. That's how it works, right?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ben's one man crusade against the misuse of the word refactored by CIG and by extension Chris gets him a blanket thumbs up from me

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Tokamak posted:

The thing is, the stuff he's doing on the Frontier forums(!! of all places) is exactly what CIG should have representatives of their departments doing on their own forums. Sure he doesn't know all the details about everything and ends up getting into pointless pissing matches, but at least he's trying to give out some reasonable answers to this whole thing.

CIG are their own worst enemy as far as the whole 'open development' shtick goes, which is a real shame because they could have owned that aspect of their project and been a real example to other games companies. As it is, they just produce lovely fluff videos and hilariously fake or vague 'roadmaps'. poo poo could have been so much different if they had a decent management structure.

Happy Christmas from the UK lumberjerks!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

grimcreaper posted:

I'd prefer it if he figured out the delta pertaining to how many seats he takes up on a plane.

Wrong Ben — this one actually understands patching, and maybe even plane seats.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Ben's one man crusade against the misuse of the word refactored by CIG and by extension Chris gets him a blanket thumbs up from me

The realisation that the Crobbler looks like a thumb has ruined the thumbs up gesture for me. :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tippis posted:

Oh, your talking about that dude that was better at explaining chris' vision than Chris was right? The other hand wave maestro?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

The realisation that the Crobbler looks like a thumb has ruined the thumbs up gesture for me. :(

:lol:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Also, both my friend and I are separately working on modern retellings of Homer's Iliad. He ran into money problems, so I bought his version from him. I just have to copy his changes into my work. They were both based on the same original story, so it should be easy.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Breetai posted:

i wish i wrote this in my mums card now. next year then.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

nnnotime posted:

Um, that's not the way stock ownership works in this case, Dr. Smart, especially since Amazon doesn't pay a dividend, yet. Maybe you could argue that CIG money could help fund stock buy-backs, but that's an indirect benefit of stock ownership and buybacks don't happen all the time.

:ssh: hes the warlord

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Oh, your talking about that dude that was better at explaining chris' vision than Chris was right? The other hand wave maestro?

I haven't seen his handiwork… (geddit? :thejoke:) but he's an old Frontier developer that jumped from working on Elite to working on SC.

If you ask him about the SC rendering, he can get really technical; if you ask him about anything else, I'd say he's more evasive if anything, unless the must-defend-CIG reflex kicks in.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tippis posted:

Ah cripes after reading back through it I see the error of my ways.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Be careful to not confuse your Bens. There's a Lesnick, and a Parry.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ah cripes after reading back through it I see the error of my ways.

Star Citizen - Ah cripes after reading back through it I see the error of my ways

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Grabby hands, Items 2.0, starnetwork 3.-62385635454768946795376596 buffer error stack overflow
100 "unique" systems, handcrafted plants and lawnmowers, space court, condos, space garbage men, on so on,

never being released.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

XK posted:

Be careful to not confuse your Bens. There's a Lesnick, and a Parry.

Yes.

And come to think of it, that horrible wordplay doesn't even work — we have seen his handiwork. He was able to give a pretty good rundown of why lights and shadows were misbehaving in the gamescom demo, muttering about how they'd force him to fix it once they got back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt!