Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Not unless you're looking for a super high-powered blender like a Vitamix to make nut butters or other things that require the extra oomph. I've made it by on a food processor and a stick blender forever.

Same here. Between a stick blender and a food processor I can do everything except for make smoothies and cashew milk. And I bet I could probably do the cashew milk with the stick blender if I believed in myself hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

You know what your kitchen needs? SMEG.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

MA?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why does the name SMEG look all rusted out

I mean I know that's not the point of the joke here but it's bothering me

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why does the name SMEG look all rusted out

I mean I know that's not the point of the joke here but it's bothering me

It's reflecting boxes on the other side, even with the potato if you zoom in you can see it's actually shiny.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

No thanks, I already bought a KitchenAid. :D

(I'm still entirely too proud of this.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

Can you get KitchenAIDS from SMEG?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Made cookies today and had to use the lovely hand mixer attachment for my stick blender. I want a standing mixer so bad.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Verisimilidude posted:

Made cookies today and had to use the lovely hand mixer attachment for my stick blender. I want a standing mixer so bad.

If you bake bread, there's really only one choice. It also does everything else a stand mixer needs to do with aplomb, and in many cases better than a KitchenAid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey what happened to your undying love for the Bosch you whore

Verisimilidude posted:

If you make lots of bread, listen to Symmetry or get his previous favorite, one of the Bosch Universal Mixers.

If you don't bake bread often, get a Kitchenaid

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Steve Yun posted:

If you make lots of bread, listen to Symmetry or get his previous favorite, one of the Bosch Universal Mixers.

Bread isn't something I'm super interested in making, so a kitchenaid might be the go-to. Unfortunately I live in a small nyc apartment, so a stand mixer may be a space issue as much as a money issue.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

The Bosch is the budget option, but it doesn't do as well with small batches or really large batches. It's also not built as well, so it won't last as long (on average). The mixing action is different (worse) and it's harder to clean.

If you can't spend $500+ on a mixer, go with a Bosch. If you can't afford a Bosch Compact, save up.

agreed that if you don't bake bread, mill flour, or grind meat you should probably just get a KA, but don't expect to ever knead bread in it. You'll kill the poor thing.

e: IIRC I've always been a bigger fan of the Ankarsrum but it used to be so far outside of my budget that I didn't really bother speaking up about it. It's definitely on the line between consumer and commercial pricing.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 25, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I live in an apartment with a tiny kitchen and the Bosch Compact is pretty much perfect

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

agreed that if you don't bake bread, mill flour, or grind meat you should probably just get a KA, but don't expect to ever knead bread in it. You'll kill the poor thing.

That's just not true at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The Bosch is the budget option, but it doesn't do as well with small batches or really large batches. It's also not built as well, so it won't last as long (on average). The mixing action is different (worse) and it's harder to clean.

If you can't spend $500+ on a mixer, go with a Bosch. If you can't afford a Bosch Compact, save up.

e: IIRC I've always been a bigger fan of the Ankarsrum but it used to be so far outside of my budget that I didn't really bother speaking up about it. It's definitely on the line between consumer and commercial pricing.

The gently caress? I've been making bread in my kitchenaid for years.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Tried making a double batch of chefsteps pie crust in the typical 5qt artisan. It ended up smelling strongly of hot motor/gears within 30 seconds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have the horsepower KA and have been grinding meat and making dough, almost exclusively, with it. I don't think I've ever used the whisk or paddle.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's just not true at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The gently caress? I've been making bread in my kitchenaid for years.

TFL is pretty adamant about not kneading bread with a KitchenAid. Many people there have horror stories of 3+ burned-out mixers. Of course, it'll depend on which model and vintage you have, but when a Bosch is the same price and much better suited, you might as well go for that, right?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mixers have limits about how much they can mix. Even the huge gently caress-off commercial spiral mixers have upper limits on how much they can mix safely.
If you exceed those limits regularly then the mixer will have a shortened life.
The bosch has a larger mixing capacity than the Kitchenaids.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I have an artisan and have overloaded the hell out of it with no issues. Also used the grain mill attachment which is a heavy load.

If the appliance isn't used often and smells immediately when you turn it on it's very possible you just have dust in the motor that's burning off.

Or like the used kitchenaid I just bought as an extra and posted a few pages back the grease needs to be repacked.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 26, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Says Amazon never had it at $50. Guess it was Woot or some other site

It was $60 for Prime day (when I got mine) and again for black friday (when I ran around telling everyone I knew that they needed to get it while it was on sale)

Also I've been using my KA Artisan 5qt for meat grinding and dough kneading almost exclusively for years without ever having a problem.

edit: Nevermind I'm dumb, I have the pro not the artisan, was forgetting which one was the entry level

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 27, 2016

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Entry level are the KA classic model $180 at walmart.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

my turn in the barrel posted:

Eh, pretty much anything that isn't a Pro or Commercial is entry level. The Artisan may look nice, but it isn't worth the $279 you pay for it. Pros are just consumer branded Commercial 5qt and 6qt models.

Commercial tabletop KitchenAids can take a beating. The one at work hardly gets used anymore since we bought a 20qt Hobart, but it still works for small stuff despite an insane amount of wobble and sounding like its been screaming it's death knell for years now.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Eh, pretty much anything that isn't a Pro or Commercial is entry level. The Artisan may look nice, but it isn't worth the $279 you pay for it. Pros are just consumer branded Commercial 5qt and 6qt models.

Commercial tabletop KitchenAids can take a beating. The one at work hardly gets used anymore since we bought a 20qt Hobart, but it still works for small stuff despite an insane amount of wobble and sounding like its been screaming it's death knell for years now.

From what I can tell the Classic and the artisan are the same except the handle on the bowl. FWIW mine has been fine for everything I've thrown at it.

But I can't say I'm not tempted.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1758191

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

As long as it works(lol, those things never break) 500bux is a killer deal on a mixer that would be $3-5k new.

e: Hell, that's all I'm missing to have a full set of commercial kitchen equipment at home. I've already got a 3.5qt Robot Coupe.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I need to get a propane burner that can be used for a wok and a massive pan. Preferably with removable legs. I'm not sure if the popular burners for fried turkeys or beer brewing would have enough heat area.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

As long as it works(lol, those things never break) 500bux is a killer deal on a mixer that would be $3-5k new.

e: Hell, that's all I'm missing to have a full set of commercial kitchen equipment at home. I've already got a 3.5qt Robot Coupe.

If you'd like a rabbit hole search Hobart on that site or one of the other govt surplus sites. It's amazing how cheap that stuff goes for compared to buying it on ebay/at a food service auction.

Big risk is it may need repair.

And payment terms/distance can be a hassle as most are local pickup only.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Figured I'd ask this here... Got a stone (granite I think) mortar and pestle for Christmas -- What's the deal with "seasoning" it? Everything online says to grind rice in it to get rid of the dust, which makes sense; but then they say to grind garlic into it and never, ever use dish soap... Is this all valid instruction?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

From what I can tell the Classic and the artisan are the same except the handle on the bowl. FWIW mine has been fine for everything I've thrown at it.

But I can't say I'm not tempted.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1758191

Thanks, now I'm about to bid on a double-section reach-in freezer.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The KA pro 600 bowl-lift was down to $220 very briefly this season. Having used both it and the artisan, I would strongly recommend hanging around for a good deal on the bowl-lift.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

This is the paddle on the mini Kitchenaid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a good half sheet cooling rack that they bought on Amazon that they can verify is pretty rust proof in the dishwasher?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend a good half sheet cooling rack that they bought on Amazon that they can verify is pretty rust proof in the dishwasher?

HALOOOOOOO

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cooling rack, not pan

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Spinzall crowdfund extended another month, but orders placed between now and Jan 31 will be $800 instead of $700

https://blog.modernistpantry.com/spinzall/

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

Cooling rack, not pan

i know you specified amazon but these black-coated stainless racks i got from a grocery store have held up perfectly for both cooling and roasting for years and are fine in the dishwasher. i don't remember the brand and it's not on the racks anywhere but i doubt i paid more than $10 for two and they def weren't a specialty brand. so maybe just search for something generic?

99% sure it's this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00091PNTI/ref=psdcmw_289721_t2_B0093JW26Y

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

This is the paddle on the mini Kitchenaid.

That looks... freaky and WRONG.

I actually sort of like that pukey color, though.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Cooling rack, not pan

Pfffffft hah sorry! I use the Libertyware half size sheet pan cooling rack and they work great- I know I ordered them from Amazon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Good set of not-too-big stainless prep bowls that don't feel flimsy as gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Oggi bowls I see at the store seem sturdy.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=oggi+bowl+steel

I've cut through a flimsy steel bowl with a beater knife before, which is why I went looking for sturdier bowls

For small things I use anchor hocking glass custard cups, they come with covers and it's $5 for 4 at Big Lots

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 2, 2017