Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I'm pretty sure this guy lives in an alternative universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

One where the laws of coding and enjoyment are different, where pain is good and pleasure is bad.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

CIGs lumber brings all the spergs to the yard.

CrazyTolradi posted:

One where the laws of coding and enjoyment are different, where pain is good and pleasure is bad.

You speak of the Stimpire my friend.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You speak of the Stimpire my friend.
Well the Stimpire somehow maintains itself despite killing thousands if it's citizens daily, it really reflects CIG and how it murders through it's funding.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Amazon says CIG is A-Okay.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Star Citizen: Lumberfucked

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Yeah, Amazon did the due diligence and that's why they have not announced anything. It certainly is not because literally anyone can use the engine as long as they agree to the tos.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Star Citizen is at the vanguard of innovation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Exinos posted:

as long as they agree to the tos.
Cig probably expects Amazon to agree to their tos.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I have a "partnership" with Amazon too, in that Amazon lets me use its free stuff as well as paying for its goods and services.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CIG is proud it unveil its new ship: The Amazon Partner-ship.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

It's really hard to gain access to Lumberyard, due to Amazons really strict policies and them having to do "due diligence" on anyone who wants to download and begin developing on that platform.

I mean, it took me at least six seconds of frantic pleading before I was granted access to the exact same resources that CIG have leveraged from Amazon:

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads/

Hardest couple of seconds of business negotiations I've ever endured. :shrug:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

D_Smart posted:

No, LY does not have 64-Bit precision because the games that the engine is designed for; won't need it. That's why CIG still has to maintain their FrankenEngine even with the LY bits they are going to be using.

So, in reality, they're not really switching engines; they're merging two branches separately developed of the same base engine.

What could possibly go wrong there......

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

McGiggins posted:

Don't tell me you don't smoke the ganjas mr smart.

swear to god derek tokes hard and smashes entire pizzas while trolling through the frontier forums

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One thing that this emphasizes is that after five years of development and $140 million CIG still can't get their netcode to work.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Can you imagine if a publisher found out a dev studio was changing engines from a press conference the friday before christmas

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BeefThief posted:

Can you imagine if a publisher found out a dev studio was changing engines from a press conference the friday before christmas

The developers would find out they're changing jobs on Christmas Eve.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

D_Smart posted:

No you fool. My stock has value. That value goes up. I make money on that value whether or not I choose to liquidate it.

Nothing to do with dividends.

Are you high?
I apologize, then, Dr. Smart, as I did not understand your rationale. Based on the additional value you believe CIG payments for AWS will help contribute to the market valuation of your AMZN holdings, does that mean you would prefer Star Citizen to succeed?

It also follows that if Shitizens believe Star Citizen will finally be released, they should also be buying AMZN stock, as the increased valuation from the stock will help reduce the basis or cost of their prior investment in JPG ships and other CIG game packages. Effectively the players would getting back the money they spent on Star Citizen from the increased AMZN stock valuation, as long as CIG keeps spending money on AWS.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 25, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I want want for next year is for "Star Citizen" to be released. Ty Santa-chan.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Not kidding at all. I really want this game to come out. :pray:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
game is as real as santa

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

game is as real as santa

I murdered santa in Hitman 2016. Maybe it's a sign that IOI should do a sequel to the Gary Busey elusive target…

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, just for my understanding; did CIG switch to Lumberyard months ago and the current version is using that engine already or are they just starting the switchover? Do we know?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tarquinn posted:

So, just for my understanding; did CIG switch to Lumberyard months ago and the current version is using that engine already or are they just starting the switchover? Do we know?

They claim to have been working on the switch ever since it was announced (February?), and α0.2.6 is supposed to be completely built in it.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Tippis posted:

They claim to have been working on the switch ever since it was announced (February?), and α0.2.6 is supposed to be completely built in it.

The development is so open, that no one has to speculate when the conversion started, the fact that it was actually even going on, and what changes were merged/not merged. I'm glad we're following the most open development ever. Makes everything clear.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Hey merry Christmas goonfriends

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

Not quiiite, I was even wrong about that bit. 3.8 is like in limbo. "Cryengine 4" is the 3.6.x line (Crytek did decide to change their branding back in 2013, decoupling the internal version numbers from what they called the engine- 3.6.x is called "Cryengine 4", for example), and then 3.8 was released as a major update at the same time as the 5.0 line, but never given it's own public name. But both of them have many overlapping features (OpenGL support, VR support), and there were 3.8.x updates released after the first 5.0/"Cryengine 5" release.

I guess the most important feature to be in 5.0 that is not in earlier lines is Direct X 12 support.

Hell, how could taht company ever get in financial trouble?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tarquinn posted:

How the gently caress would anyone know? They are proven liars.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
mm, mincemeat* in my morning porridge is a good way to start Christmas

(*Don't know if non-Brits have Christmas Mincemeat, it's not actually meat but various dried fruits in a sweet spiced liquor, traditionally used in small shortcrust pastry pies. I baked some using mincemeat from a jar and had a tiny bit left, added it to my porridge with raisins and a scoop of protein powder, excellent breakfast)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ Nah, we non-brits have good xmas food ^^^

"We switched engines at the beginning of the year and everything is was real easy"

-Chris "Star Marine is already in the game" Roberts.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

It's really hard to gain access to Lumberyard, due to Amazons really strict policies and them having to do "due diligence" on anyone who wants to download and begin developing on that platform.

I mean, it took me at least six seconds of frantic pleading before I was granted access to the exact same resources that CIG have leveraged from Amazon:

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/downloads/

Hardest couple of seconds of business negotiations I've ever endured. :shrug:

You probably know somebody. I bet you're like Trey Parker's cousin or something.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

trucutru posted:

How the gently caress would anyone know? They are proven liars.

It's great seeing backers defend the engine change that happened, quite flawlessly according to them and crobbers. Nevermind the fact it has been hidden for over a year. What a bunch of loving scumbags.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Did Kayak wear a Christmas hat?

GreenElephant
Mar 22, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

I took a look at the latest .exe and dlls and as far as I can tell (by scanning for strings and function names) there are zero references to Lumberyard specific things being used. No AWS/cloud API stuff, No Geppetto, no GridMate, no "Gems" system. They still seem to use Scaleform for the UI, instead of the thing Lumberyard replaced it with.

They do connect to an Amazon EC2 instance for the actual game, but running an on Amazon server instead of anywhere else doesn't require any special game engine, I mean, an EC2 instance like that can run any php/binaries etc as needed. Maybe the "a year to switch to lumberyard" actually mean "a year to copy our server files to an amazon server and run it from there, for some reason".

I did find a reference to "Lumberyard Settings" in the .exe, maybe something planned for the .cfg file, dunno.

So my guess: Near zero client-side changes have been made, it's primarily a publicity deal with Amazon in exchange for cheaper servers and is being misrepresented as a full code merge.

Question for CIG: What specific features from Lumberyard have been merged with the "StarEngine"?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Kakarot posted:

Did Kayak wear a Christmas hat?

Asking the important questions.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Merry Crimbo fellow goons

Here's to the future of space video games

Thanks for all the laughs :cig: - you've really excelled yourselves this year!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

his nibs posted:

Merry Crimbo fellow goons

Here's to the future of space video games

Thanks for all the laughs :cig: - you've really excelled yourselves this year!

Merry Christmas to you too and Commandos everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/364217

Chris Roberts posted:

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from the exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!