Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

One of the two will be a puzzle box you cannot take apart...

The other is a puzzle box you can take apart, but when you do it hurls you to a world of corridors where you're endlessly chased by a guy with a sink for a face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

flosofl posted:

What the poo poo? Did they strip it so they could connect the ground wire on the outside?

(not that that's the worst thing going on here, but it jumped out at me)

Electricians actually used to do that around 50-60 years ago. They would strip the NM, bend the ground wires back out that box entrance, twist them together outside the box, then screw it down to one of the steel box's gang screws. They don't do it anymore since it's hard to verify (or correct) once the walls are finished.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 25, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The other is a puzzle box you can take apart, but when you do it hurls you to a world of corridors where you're endlessly chased by a guy with a sink for a face.

That's a really mean thing to say about the one person at Home Depot who is willing to help you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xergm posted:

Coxy, were you a contractor perchance?

Nah just in a medium sized supermarket.

The storeroom did not have anywhere near enough space and the pallet racking was up against a cable raceway which got me in trouble for bad habits when they finally paid for my forklift ticket. (Had to rotate back 90° after lifting a pallet off the top rung before lowering.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Merry Christmas everyone and may that multiplug cluster powering the tree plugged into the poorly wired socket not cause a house fire!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Samizdata posted:

Merry Christmas everyone and may that multiplug cluster powering the tree plugged into the poorly wired socket not cause a house fire!
Mine is plugged in just above the natural gas pipe!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Going the traditional route this year with a beetle kill spruce and candle illumination. :ohdearsass:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Lake house update: new Cutler-Hammer panel is installed, and the electrician is currently trying to sort out the circuits, including mixed aluminum and copper wiring, two separate bathroom circuits on their own breakers being wired together in the walls, and an outside outlet being wired into that combined circuit

edit: does anyone do lake-source heat exchangers

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 26, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Samizdata posted:

I'm Jewish, so all we have to worry about is the cat walking into the candle (this nearly happened last night and probably would have if we weren't watching it be cute right before it decided to reenact that scene from Return of the King)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

Lake house update: new Cutler-Hammer panel is installed, and the electrician is currently trying to sort out the circuits, including mixed aluminum and copper wiring, two separate bathroom circuits on their own breakers being wired together in the walls, and an outside outlet being wired into that combined circuit

Both locations need GFCI protection. Back when GFCIs were expensive and cable was cheap, they'd run circuits like that. Part of that is still in the book too. All bathrooms and no other rooms are allowed to share one circuit for outlets only. That way, the first outlet on that circuit branch can be a GFCI and protect all the others. If that GFCI trips for the first time and this house has several bathrooms, you might have to do a bit of searching around the house to find the GFCI.

And yes, we were just talking about heat pumps here in this thread. What kind of lake is this? Who owns it? I'd imagine if it's a hydroelectric reservoir, the power company might have rules for that. Company "owned" or at least "managed" water bodies can have all sorts of rules and allowed use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Adding to kid sinister's response, I can tell you for certain that I have several places in my former jurisdiction with river-source geo. So it's definitely a thing. In our case the Army Corps has to be involved, etc, but it's a thing.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
Dallas has decided to develop a floodway. Mostly as trails, but they are surely going to have bathroom buildings and lighting.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/dallas-is-building-trinity-river-park-the-biggest-urban-park-in-america/

Every three years or so it does this:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well how did you think they were going to clean the bathrooms?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

ohgodwhat posted:

Well how did you think they were going to clean the bathrooms?

Nothing adds value to a flood like copious amounts of dysentery.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Well, they've already moved the river once, I don't see why they can't do it again.

Maybe now Dallas will achieve its longtime dream of being a (300 mile inland) ocean port city!

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

Dallas has decided to develop a floodway. Mostly as trails, but they are surely going to have bathroom buildings and lighting.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/dallas-is-building-trinity-river-park-the-biggest-urban-park-in-america/

It actually sounds like this is a program to ensure that the floodplain isn't developed in the usual manner, i.e., huge, prone-to-fail levees and slapdash buildings right up to water's edge. In a state with a terrible flood management record, this actually seems like a really good idea, if they pull it off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That will go well with the really expensive bridge to nowhere anyone wants to go (lower right,) and the really expensive bridge that's been under construction forever (upper left.)
Still, as long as it's still usable as a floodplain, a few paths and simple cinderblock buildings probably won't be hurt by being underwater a few days every few years. If nothing else, it will be something to laugh at. (Full disclosure: I live in Tarrant, rather than Dallas County, so I don't have to pay for it if it turns out to be a farce.)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

We have something like that in LA, except the flooding is about every 10-15 years, there is a public golf course, a bunch of soccer fields, and a bunch of hiking trails. Its a good use for land you shouldn't let people build on due to said flooding concerns, better than letting some future idiot get strong armed into letting people build houses there

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 28, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

We have something like that in LA, except the flooding is about every 10-15 years, there is a public golf course, a bunch of soccer fields, and a bunch of hiking trails. Its a good use for land you shouldn't let people build on due to said flooding concerns, better than letting some future idiot get strong armed into letting people build houses there

That's common in lots of places that flood often, at least around St. Louis. You build stuff in those places like sports fields, golf courses, parks, trails and sod farms: all things that can take a flood without too much damage. Then if people insist on building on the floodplains anyway, the county makes them dig out ponds and use the dirt to build up higher than the record flood level.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A big problem now though is that the record flood level is sneaking upwards, and those 100 years floods are becoming 20 year floods.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There was a bit if a furore in Ireland recently because insurance companies are refusing to provide flood insurance to houses build on floodplains. Apparently some people view this as unreasonable. Mostly the people who bought houses on floodplains and the politicians who let them be built.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Splicer posted:

There was a bit if a furore in Ireland recently because insurance companies are refusing to provide flood insurance to houses build on floodplains. Apparently some people view this as unreasonable. Mostly the people who bought houses on floodplains and the politicians who let them be built.
Is there some kind of maximum price for flood insurance? Selling insurance for something that's expensive and regularly-occurring sounds like a great way to make money.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
No reasonable person wants to pay the premium for that coverage if it was priced accurately.....

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

Is there some kind of maximum price for flood insurance? Selling insurance for something that's expensive and regularly-occurring sounds like a great way to make money.
Insurance companies are the ones betting the thing they're selling policies for won't happen.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Zereth posted:

Insurance companies are the ones betting the thing they're selling policies for won't happen.
They're not that shortsighted. Bad events and payouts keep people buying insurance. Their job is to know exactly how often that happens, and then charge enough to make a profit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

Which is a reason why the US has NFIP, because no sane insurance company will underwrite a policy that covers flooding in a flood zone. Instead of encouraging growth and construction *away* from flood planes and other areas they've designated as high risk for flood damage, the federal government instead underwrite and administer insurance against flood damage. They do require certain building requirements, but these are often based on data such as record levels and frequency, which as Baronjutter mentions are not looking like unassailable peaks they were a decade ago.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 29, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dylan16807 posted:

They're not that shortsighted. Bad events and payouts keep people buying insurance. Their job is to know exactly how often that happens, and then charge enough to make a profit.
"You can't have insurance" and "You can have insurance at 5+ digits a year" are functionally identical.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 29, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dylan16807 posted:

Let's say these are now 20 year floods and require a total rebuild of any property affected. If your property costs $200k to rebuild your insurance will cost an absolute minimum of $10k. Add profit, assume inflation, cover remedial works like excavation or re-stabilising the site, insurance could easily cost 3 times that. Add that $30k a year insurance to your mortgage...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splicer posted:

"You can't have insurance" and "You can have insurance at 5+ digits a year" are functionally identical.

At that point, you should just start squirreling away money and planning to re‐build every twenty years or so.

Or, you know, not build in a place where you need to rebuild every twenty years.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

At that point, you should just start squirreling away money and planning to re‐build every twenty years or so.

Or, you know, not build in a place where you need to rebuild every twenty years.
Or encourage* local officials to rezone the area as totally buildable on, build a bunch of houses, sell them, walk away with the money, and never see any consequences.

Ireland's real estate system is hilariously corrupt FINE EVERYTHING'S FINE.

*with brown envelopes full of cash

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 29, 2016

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Let's say these are now 20 year floods and require a total rebuild of any property affected. If your property costs $200k to rebuild your insurance will cost an absolute minimum of $10k. Add profit, assume inflation, cover remedial works like excavation or re-stabilising the site, insurance could easily cost 3 times that. Add that $30k a year insurance to your mortgage...
Anyone in a long term mortgage on a house that likely won't exist in 10 years is already hopelessly detached from financial sanity. Someone probably got scammed into making that loan happen.

If we exclude scams, people living in the flood plain just need to accept getting less house per dollar. Nothing weird about different areas having different costs, and you can still afford a better house than in San Francisco.

So our example person might get an $80k house instead. They could go without flood insurance, rebuilding after every flood with a fresh mortgage, and often end up with two mortgage payments. Or they could pay $80k-house flood insurance prices without trouble.

There's nothing inherently unworkable about flood insurance that costs as much as a mortgage. The real problem is people being lied to about the suitability of the land.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dylan16807 posted:

The real problem is people being lied to about the suitability of the land.
This is indeed the root cause of the issue, but I really get the impression you don't actually know what insurance is.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Also, rebuilding assumes the land is still there, which isn't always the case on the coast.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Start selling house boats.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

cakesmith handyman posted:

Start selling house boats.

Or tiny or park model homes so you just hitch up and haul out every time there's weather threatening.

Speaking of park models, some of the modern ones are looking quite nice. Is anyone familliar with good park model builders? My aunt is looking at lofted cabin models for her vacation property. Are they still fire traps?

Ooh, or put your park model on pontoons and 20ft long flexible hookups!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 29, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Suspect Bucket posted:

Or tiny or park model homes so you just hitch up and haul out every time there's weather threatening.
Balsa and pumice houses on telescopic legs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make floating houses that aren't firmly attached to their foundation, but tethered to them. So when it floods the house just floats up above the foundation, then settles back down when the water receeds.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Isn't one of the reasons that we have federal flood insurance because flooding will basically always wipe out hundreds or thousands of houses at once? A lot of insurance is based on only paying out to a small number of your clients each year, if you have to pay to them all at the same time you won't have the cash.

Collateral Damage posted:

Make floating houses that aren't firmly attached to their foundation, but tethered to them. So when it floods the house just floats up above the foundation, then settles back down when the water receeds.

I feel like I have seen a picture like this with the house basically anchored to corner posts that it can ride up and down on with the water without drifting.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

Anyone in a long term mortgage on a house that likely won't exist in 10 years is already hopelessly detached from financial sanity. Someone probably got scammed into making that loan happen.

If we exclude scams, people living in the flood plain just need to accept getting less house per dollar. Nothing weird about different areas having different costs, and you can still afford a better house than in San Francisco.

So our example person might get an $80k house instead. They could go without flood insurance, rebuilding after every flood with a fresh mortgage, and often end up with two mortgage payments. Or they could pay $80k-house flood insurance prices without trouble.

There's nothing inherently unworkable about flood insurance that costs as much as a mortgage. The real problem is people being lied to about the suitability of the land.

So I have to get an $80kish house for the cost of a $200k house, and even when I pay it off I still have massive insurance premiums and the pleasures of rebuilding a house and my possessions. Yeah you're right, totally workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ohgodwhat posted:

So I have to get an $80kish house for the cost of a $200k house, and even when I pay it off I still have massive insurance premiums and the pleasures of rebuilding a house and my possessions. Yeah you're right, totally workable.

Many of us deal with something similar in the form of property tax. My house is worth about 250k and I lay 11k a year in tax. By the time my mortgage is paid off I expect that to be double or triple, so I'll basically be paying double my mortgage by then with no remaining debt on the house.

That being said it won't get washed away in anything that wouldn't also kill millions of people.