Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

The Magoroku E-Sword actually has a special debuff: A.T. Field Neutralization! We haven’t been fighting many Angels in this game but it’s something to keep in mind.

Pretty sure most Eva/Angel weapons can neutralize AT Fields, just by virtue of the unit they're attached to. I'm not sure, but I think it carries over to Support Attacks as well, though you generally don't want to be supporting with something that doesn't penetrate through damage alone anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ayato: There, everything turned out just... fine... :suicide:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Jegan posted:

Pretty sure most Eva/Angel weapons can neutralize AT Fields, just by virtue of the unit they're attached to. I'm not sure, but I think it carries over to Support Attacks as well, though you generally don't want to be supporting with something that doesn't penetrate through damage alone anyway.

Yeah, you're right - since we didn't even fight Ramiel directly, I didn't even see that all weapons could it (I think SRW some times doesn't give the Field Neutralization debuff to the EVAs, too).

Oddly enough, the Positron Sniper Rifle does not carry that feature.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Brunom1 posted:

Oddly enough, the Positron Sniper Rifle does not carry that feature.

Not really, it was always meant to break through with sheer power. Shinji having a Positron Rifle with AT Neutralizing while Toji's doesn't is odd though, especially since they have the same animation.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Jegan posted:

Not really, it was always meant to break through with sheer power. Shinji having a Positron Rifle with AT Neutralizing while Toji's doesn't is odd though, especially since they have the same animation.

I guess GEAR can't lend more batteries for Shinji's rifle to be strong enough to blast through a field...

And, yeah, I also thought it was weird that the #01's Positron Rifle doesn't have the debuff.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Brunom1 posted:

Yeah, you're right - since we didn't even fight Ramiel directly, I didn't even see that all weapons could it (I think SRW some times doesn't give the Field Neutralization debuff to the EVAs, too).

It's pretty amusing using the EVA-01 for the first time in Alpha, only to have its attacks be almost completely ineffective because it can't break Sachiel's AT Field. Of course, Alpha has the best Evangelion moment of all its appearances. See, when Israfel's first form shows up there, it's just the EVAs deployed to fight it, as well as Bright in the battleship, and you get bonus skill points along with some pretty priceless reactions if you do the obvious and wreck Israfel with Bright instead of the EVAs. NERV personnel shocked that it was even possible, Asuka marveling at the power of White Base's captain, it's great.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

It's pretty amusing using the EVA-01 for the first time in Alpha, only to have its attacks be almost completely ineffective because it can't break Sachiel's AT Field. Of course, Alpha has the best Evangelion moment of all its appearances. See, when Israfel's first form shows up there, it's just the EVAs deployed to fight it, as well as Bright in the battleship, and you get bonus skill points along with some pretty priceless reactions if you do the obvious and wreck Israfel with Bright instead of the EVAs. NERV personnel shocked that it was even possible, Asuka marveling at the power of White Base's captain, it's great.

You rang?

*Bright goes RAMMING SPEEEEEEEEEEEED on Israfel :black101: *

: V-Very well done, captain...
: Y-Yes. I wasn’t actually expecting the Reinforce Jr to be able to take that Angel down…
: Th-that’s the captain of the old White Base for you, I guess…
: Wow…

And then Israfel does its thing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Brunom1 posted:

You rang?

: Y-Yes. I wasn’t actually expecting the Reinforce Jr to be able to take that Angel down…

What makes the situation even crazier is that the most reasonable way to manage that feat requires you to fully upgrade the Beam Ram and use Rei's Daunt spirit, because otherwise Bright's attacks will just bounce off the AT Field. Granted, that may have been unique to my playthrough, but it really felt like it was designed that way.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Brights wave rider crash, but battleship sized.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Somebody should give Bright a Macross class ship, I think he'd enjoy it.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

You rang?

While I am not the biggest fan of UC Gundam, Bright still is and will always be the BEST battelship captain.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Bright uses the battleship equivalent of Wave Rider Crash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really love the concept of someone at NERV having to write up a report when, say, Boss Borot kills an Angel.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really love the concept of someone at NERV having to write up a report when, say, Boss Borot kills an Angel.
It makes me sad that Evangelion and Xabungle will never meet, if only because the reports that Misato would have to submit explaining how Saturday Morning Cartoon LogicTM defeated an Angel would be hilarious.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

It makes me sad that Evangelion and Xabungle will never meet, if only because the reports that Misato would have to submit explaining how Saturday Morning Cartoon LogicTM defeated an Angel would be hilarious.

They've been close too! Both shows were in the Z series and the Alpha Series.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Rikudou is apologizing for all that Kunugi has had to go through; he shrugs this off, though Rikudou knows how hard he worked to help Ayato and the Magnate Ten. Kunugi sighs that he’s rather jealous of how little Rikudou cares about matters like the color of one’s blood. How can he learn to be more like him?
Rikudou says it’s simple, really, and tells Kunugi to share some food with Ayato. Furthermore, we’re living in a time where people from other planets have come to our world – stuff like a different blood color seems rather trivial face that.

Hell, our squad is living proof of it. Isn’t that why Kunugi took the fall to cover for us? We’ll be essential for lies ahead. Kunugi won’t outright confirm but Rikudou sees in his face that he’s right.
With that done, Rikudou extends an invitation to join him for a meal: he has some prime sake and some wakasagi that Shirou recently gave him after a trip to Lake Ashi. Sounds good to Kunugi.

Asuka sighs that Shinji STILL hasn’t recovered from what happened. The idiot’s too much of a weakling, unlike the two girls, she grumbles. He’s been asleep since it all went down but, considering he’s got no injuries, should wake up soon-ish.
Asuka observes rather sadly that Shinji had become a lot more positive due to our folks but this seems to have been too much. Is she worried about him, Rei wonders. D-don’t be stupid! Why should SHE worry about an idiot like him?!

Rei stares for a bit and Asuka soon blinks: fine, maybe she is A BIT worried. The guy’s a total idiot but he’s still a comrade with whom she’s fought alongside with all this time. But, and this is important, she’s only A BIT worried. So Rei better not be jumping to any conclusions.
Regardless, Asuka finds it a bit strange to see Rei worrying about other people and wonders if Shinji is dreaming right now. Rei seems a bit confused – has she never had one before? Hmm…

: …
: Ikari, why did you do such a thing?
: I couldn’t forgive my dad… he betrayed me. He doesn’t even try to understand how I feel.
: And you? Do you try to understand how he feels?
: … I can’t, not when he never talks to me.
: Not about mom, or about Touji… or anything! And, still, he went and tried to make me kill Touji! He didn’t even try to save him!
: If Ayato hadn’t come over, I would’ve done something I could never undo!
: That’s why I couldn’t forgive him…! I will not!
: What will you do, then?
: I… I can’t pilot anymore…
: If you do that, you’d just be running from your problems.
: And?! What’s so bad about that?!
: I’m done! I don’t wanna fight any more than I already have! This almost made me kill my friend!
: … He didn’t run, though.
: ?!
: He came back… in order to protect what was dear to him…And he failed.
: !
: But despite that, he…
: Ayanami… are you talking about Ayato…?

Shinji finally wakes up, asking his question aloud. Kaji’s there to greet him, explaining that he’s at the hospital – where he was brought to after that little stunt. When Shinji asks, Kaji says Touji’s fine: a bit dinged up but nothing major or life threatening. No danger of mental pollution, either.
That’s a relief for Shinji but he won’t have time to relax yet: Gendou wants to see him and while Kaji doesn’t like it, he needs the kid to come along.

Over by Ayato’s room/cell, Misato comes in with a visitor: Isshiki. That’s a surprise to him, especially when Misato addresses him as commander. When Ayato asks, Isshiki says he’s here to pick him up – he figured it was something he should personally do due to his new position.
As for Kunugi, his ability to lead had been called into question, so his services were dismissed. Is Ayato scared of this change? He open admits he is, considering Isshiki could have him arrested, executed… whatever he wanted.

Ayato understands the gravity of all he’s done and Isshiki admits, quite honestly, that he disliked him from the get-go – Mulian or not. Still, he is nothing is not fair: his policy is to not discard what can still a worthwhile tool.
Ayato grunts that he’s worthless and Isshiki agrees… other than the fact that he can control the RahXephon. Human relationships all boil down to personal interests and Isshiki is willing to allow him to keep his life.

Considering Ayato DID destroy the D1 and the person synchronized with it, he saw fit to lessen his punishment. He ought to be grateful. Ayato doesn’t like the way he speaks about Hiroko but Isshiki matter-of-factly reminds him the Mulians aren’t humans – they are purely the enemy.
As Ayato grits his teeth, Isshiki waves him over – they’re going back to Nirai-Kanai. Not so fast, though, Misato refuses to let him take the kid. See, Ayato is still assigned to the Magnate Ten, so if Isshiki wants to get him back, he’ll need to send his request to Bright and Commander Misumaru.
Isshiki sniffs that she’d defend a Mulian but, no, Misato says she’s defending Ayato Kamina. Well, Isshiki isn’t impressed – he’ll simply go over her head and deal directly with Gendou.

Helena’s not having any success with Ritsuko either, who refuses to let them take the RahXephon. Go get permission from Misumaru. Seems to Helena that NERV isn’t satisfied with just a fake god – are they studying something in the RahXephon? Ritsuko sniffs that that applies to both their groups.
Itsuki gets in between the ladies to calm things down – still, it seems this conversation isn’t going to go anywhere. While they glare at each other, Itsuki tells Ritsuko that while he understands her position, they can’t well return empty-handed. Face that, they’ll be staying right here – with the RahXephon – until they’ve the greenlight to go.
Ritsuko agrees, though warns that their movements will obviously be restricted in the meantime. With that, she has other matters to attend to and leaves.

Helena sighs that Ritsuko lives up to her reputation and Itsuki is rather surprised to see that the professor and him might be quite alike. He can tell from just a cursory glance? Well, there’s a proverb that says women with a spot under the eyes have had a sorrowful love story.
Helena doesn’t know about that but, still, the silver lining to all this mess is that both the RahXephon and the Instrumentalist made it back to this side. Quon hasn’t but she assures Itsuki that everything’s fine: Quon’s with her grandfather now, where she belongs.

: I’ve brought him, commander.
: Thank you.
: Insubordination, commandeering an EVA... and rather crude intimidation. These are all serious crimes. Do you have anything to say for yourself?
: Isn’t it you who should have something to say to me?
: I’m the one asking the questions.
: !!

*Shinji takes a few steps forward to rush Gendou but is stopped.*

: Easy there, Shinji!
: L-Let me go, Kaji!
: Do you want to punch me? Would that make you feel better?
: I… I…!
: I don’t wanna be an EVA pilot anymore – I don’t wanna be here!
: I can’t even stand to look at your face anymore!
: Get out, then. You are a disappointment.
: …!
: Go back to living with your teacher. I’d wager we won’t see each other again.
: …Fine. That’s exactly what I want…!

*There he goes.*

: (Shinji…)

*Ring, ring!*

: It’s me. Strike the Third Children from our records. Set Rei and the #01’s pilot, with the Dummy Plug as a backup.

*Door opens!*

: You seem to have a bit of trouble brewing, hm, Cmdr. Ikari?
: (Makoto Isshiki…!)
: Well, will wonders never cease? It’s been ages, Ryouji Kaji.
: … Do you need something, Cmdr. Isshiki?
: I do. It’s about Ayato Kamina and the RahXephon, naturally.
: They were always property of TERRA… so I’d appreciate if you could stop stonewalling and simply return them to us.
: “Stonewalling”?
: Your Major, Misato Katsuragi. It appears your grip on your subordinates is as loose as Kuguni’s.
: Hmph… You’re one to talk.
: What is that supposed to mean?
: Shirou Watari, TERRA’s director, made his way here before you did.
: He said that he was leaving Ayato Kamina and the RahXephon under the discretion of Kouichirou Misumaru, commander of the Magnate Ten.
: …What…?
: Such is TERRA’s decision. If you’ve any questions about this, feel free to take them up to your director.
: I will. If you’ll excuse me…!

*Isshiki stomps away.

: (Yeesh. Guess every organization comes with its resident old fox.)

Itsuki’s also went to check up on Ayato. He’s here simply to accompany other folks, though he has an inkling they’ll be heading back with nothing soon enough. Ayato apologizes for not being able to make good on his promise to keep Quon safe but Itsuki tells him not to worry. She’s doing fine.
In truth, Itsuki sees that the two of them are rather similar in their inability to protect Quon. When Itsuki asks, Ayato figures Haruka is alright; at that, Ayato wonders if he and Haruka are together.

“Hahahah… you still have a lot of growing up to do,” Itsuki quips. He tells Ayato that Haruka’s always carried a torch for a certain man, though the guy hasn’t even noticed how she feels. Ayato thinks that that's terrible – poor Haruka. Itsuki says that it's quite cruel of him to be able to say so easily.
As Ayato falls silent, Itsuki carries an inward monologue: “We are alike… though I suppose that’s only natural. Funny, no? We bear the same mark of Xephon and, yet, fate has given us such different cards. How cruel it is, my brother.”

Shinji’s already stepping out into Neo Tokyo 3 and Misato asks if he won’t change his mind. He says no. She asks if he understands that his movements will be rather restricted once he’s out and, again, he does. He does have a question, though: why was Touji chosen as the EVA-03’s pilot?
Misato confesses that all potential pilots were in Shinji’s class and, as she’s recently heard, the whole process is a sham. She says that there aren’t enough words to make up for what happened to Touji.
Still, Misato says she’d been projecting her hopes, dreams and objectives onto him. Quite the heavy burden, she admits it, but everyone in NERV had no other choice but to entrust their future to Shinji. If anything, she wants him to remember that.

And what are Misato’s “hopes and dreams”, Shinji wonders. To bring peace to man? To crush man underfoot? Given that no one life is worth more than another, isn't that rather selfish of her? She says that it might be. Regardless, she'll leave Shinji’s passcodes active back to HQ. He tells her not to bother – he won't pilot an EVA again. Bidding her farewell, he walks off.
Misato ponders that "bring peace to man" bit of hypocrisy that's been her superficial motivation all this time. In truth, her true goal may simply have been to get revenge for her father.
She’s brought back to the present by a phone call. Something’s up and she immediately hurries back.

And it’s another batch of D1s and D2s, having just broken through the defensive perimeter at Goura. The MUs have been exceedingly busy nowadays, Fuyutsuki sees. Gendou sounds the alert but tells the crew to keep the EVAs on standby within their cages.
Fuyutsuki sees that he’s planning to use the RahXephon to take care of it and Gendou figures TERRA won’t object since this is the MU we’re talking about. He’ll also speak to Misumaru later.
Gendou also believes Ayato won’t complain, so he has Shigeru ready an exit for the mech. Fuyutsuki isn’t too sure about this but Gendou posits that the MU are matching the timing of their attack with a little something else.
He feels that there’s bigger stuff still on the way, which means they cannot sortie the EVAs just yet.

Mission 37 – A Man’s Battle

Neo Tokyo 3’s citizens are already heading into their shelters and NERV’s got their AA guns ready to go. As the MU enter the city, Isshiki sniffs that that’s what we get for not returning the RahXephon immediately. Or maybe NERV did it despite knowing that this could happen, Helena wonders.
Regardless, Isshiki doesn’t care if they’ll send the RahXephon to intercept the enemy of not. If the MU’s attention is focused here, it takes the heat off TERRA while they prepare for a certain operation.

He calls his crew to leave and, no, he doesn’t care about whatever may happen to the RahXephon. If it gets destroyed here, then that’s the end of that – the thing was always meant to be just a means of buying time.
Helena agrees but Itsuki wants to stay: not only does he need to stop by Mutropolis to discuss the upcoming operation with Hibiki and Higashiyama, he also wants to see what NERV is up to.
If anything, Helena praises how dedicated he is to his job.

Ayato launches, though Misato is rather worried about him. Still, he assures her he’ll hold the Dolems at bay – he doesn’t want to lose any other loved ones to them.
Alright, she asks him to hold the line until the Magnate Ten arrives and Ayato confirms… though he doesn’t expect them to get here soon. It’s all up to him.
The NERV operators stand ready to support the RahXephon just as they would the EVAs, so there’s that.

We can’t get off the RahXephon/Evangelion wild ride!

Piss weak Dotems still.

Enemy Phase!

This one new Dolem isn’t waiting around, mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtswHAIxZOA
And, of course, the RNG decides to screw me on a 15%. Ayato also takes out another two Dotems.

Player Phase!

Staying out in the open didn’t help us, so let’s pop Iron Wall and find a safe terrain to stand on.

Enemy Phase!

Didn’t hit me this time.

: (Ollin…!)

*The Obligato charges after Ayato.*

: Urk! Gah!
: (Is that all you’ve got, Ollin? Is this the full might of one who bears the Xephon’s mark…?)
: The target’s energy level is spiking! The RahXephon’ll be in danger if that keeps going!
: Ayato!
: Hrm— Rrrgh…!!
: (What will you do now, Ollin?)
: I-I…!
: I want to… protect…!
: Protect who? (Her face is hidden but screw it.)
: Shinji and his friends… and everyone…!
: Who do you really want to protect…?

: Picking up a massive energy reading from the RahXephon!
: A-Ayato…!
: (Ollin…!!)
: I… I’ll protect her… I’ll protect everyone!
: I won’t let another tragedy like Hiroko’s happen again! No way!!

*Hooooooowl*

: (Do you think you can atone for your sins with that, Ollin…?!)

*NERV Alarm!*

: An unidentified object has been detected above Mount Kisokoma! Pattern is blue – an Angel!
: What?!
: The main course is arriving…!
: Have the AA batteries keep it away! Buy time until the Magnate Ten gets here!
: I-It’s not working! The target’s already entering Neo Tokyo 3’s airspace!

: An Angel?!

*Alarm!*

: Armor layers #1 through #18 have been destroyed!
: With only a single attack?!
: H-How…?!

*Zeruel starts heading towards the opened hole.*

: Hrm! You’re not getting in there!!

*Three Metronomes surround him.

: What?!
: The targets have immobilized the RahXephon!
: What did you say?!
: Rrgh, these bastards!!
: (You won’t be protecting anyone, Ollin. I won’t allow it…!)
: (You’ll experience my sorrow and the pain you inflicted on Hiroko!)
: Cmdr. Ikari!
: Yes, you may deploy the #02.
: Roger!

*Zeruel keeps moving…*

: The target’s headed further into the city!
: We’ve no more time to intercept it atop! Deploy the #02 inside the Geofront and have it defend the HQ immediately!

: What about the #00?!
: Its destroyed left arm still hasn’t been fully restored!
: So it can’t fight…?!
: Have Rei launch in the #01 with the Dummy Plug acting as her backup.
: …Yes, sir!

: The target’s inside the Geofront!
: Asuka, you can’t let it reach HQ!
: Aye, aye! I can easily handle this thing, Shinji or no Shinji!

*Asuka casts Strike, Iron Wall and Alert. Meanwhile, back in town…*

: (Another Angel’s showed up… Will Asuka, Ayanami, Ayato and the others be alright…?!)
: (N-No… I told myself I wouldn’t pilot again…)
: Ah, here you are, Shinji.
: K-Kaji…!
: The regular citizens have been ordered to head to the underground shelters. Come on.
: I… I won’t—!
: I know. Still, I went through a lot of trouble to get to you despite all the intelligence agents around… Can’t you walk with me for just a bit?

Here it comes.

: I will not lose again! No way in hell!

: The A.T. Field wasn’t neutralized?! Why?!

Player Phase!

Zeruel, the Fourteenth Angel

You can’t damage it – that A.T. Field will block everything. It can and will mess YOU up, though, carrying two powerful attacks with loads of accuracy and S ranks in all terrains.
Keep defensive measures on, be mindful of positive terrains around and hold your ground.

Mamoru (oh, no, me and my big mouth!) has a ton of HP while his Metronomes are powered-up models and they will ALWAYS defend, so you’re not getting out of their box strat. Best we can do is take it out on that Dotem.

Enemy Phase!

Here we go again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNV_Tadf24
Blink and you explode.

: Urgh…! What is this thing made of?!
: Asuka!!
: What’s going on with the EVA-01?!
: We’re initiating entry right now!
: Charging LCL. Opening A10 neural connection!

*PWIIIISH!*

: The pulse is reversing! EVA-01 is rejecting the connection!
: How…?!
: … It won’t work anymore…
: Ikari…!
: Yes, it’s rejecting me.
: Halt the #01’s activation – restart it with the Dummy Plug. Rei will deploy in the #00.
: But the #00 is—!
: It’s fine. I’ll go.
: Rei?!
: (Even if I die, there are replacements.)

Player Phase!

: Kch… Uurrgh…!!
: I won’t…! I WON’T LOSE AGAIN!!

*Asuka charges Zeruel.*

: Asuka?!
: Cut all neural connections! Hurry!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-C3wAwm58Y

: Critical damage to the #02! It’s incapacitated!
: What about Asuka?!
: She’s fine! Alive!
: Rrgh…! Verdammt…!!

*Zeruel floats past her.*

: The Angel’s on the move again!
: How’s the #01?!
: Dummy Plug loading and probe insertion, complete!
: Contact – start!
: Roger!

*Beep.*

: What is it!?
: The pulse has vanished – it’s rejecting the dummy! The #01 isn’t activating!
: Both Rei and the dummy…?!
: It won’t accept either of them…?!
: Fuyutsuki… handle this for a moment.
: Ikari…?!
: A-Asuka… everyone…!
: Are you just going to stay here and watch it all go down?
: I-I’ve made up my mind… I won’t pilot the EVA again…
: Really, now?
: What about you, Kaji? Should you be here right now?
: I don’t really have anything to do during battle ever since my little side job went public.
: Still…
: What happens, happens. This isn’t exactly a job that lets me choose where I’ll die.
: “Die”…?
: Yeah. Beneath this area sleeps a being named Adam; it’s said that if an Angel ever makes contact with it, all of mankind will be obliterated.
: The Third Impact… And the only thing that can stop it from happening is the Evangelion – that which possesses the same power as the Angels.

: Direct hit on bulkhead #1!
: If we don’t do something, the HQ’ll…!

: Rei?!
: Ayanami…! She doesn’t even have a rifle?!

*Rei charges Zeruel.*

: Wait, is she going to blow herself up along with the Angel?!
: Ayanami!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30FFTzfBZI

: Th-The #00?!
: She deployed her A.T. Field right as the explosion happened! I think she’s fine…!
: Wait, the Angel! It’s still moving!
: What?! It didn’t take any damage from that?!

: A-Ayanami!!
: The EVA-00’s gone silent!
: What about the RahXephon?!
: Still immobilized by the enemy!
: High energy spike coming from the target!

x2

: Direct hit on the third foundation! The final bulkhead has been melted!
: Not good! The main shaft’s wide open!
: (Heheheheh… look, Ayato. Watch as all your friends die…!)
: Urgh! Let me go! Lemme go!!
: I can’t let this happen! I don’t go through that ever again!
: (It's useless, Ollin…! You will watch them die… and then you’ll taste the same pain I did…!)
: ?! It’s coming over!
: Ah—Aaaah…!!
: W-We’re detecting another high energy spike!
: Is this… the end…?!
: HOLD IT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVlyhRlokQ
Captions, of course.

: Whatever dangers may lie in wait down one’s path, if that person bears something to defend within their heart…
: Then he shall never falter in its defense, even at the cost of life and limb.
: That is what people call… a man!!

: Oh, heaven and earth, fire and water! Grant me power!!
: PIIIIIILE FOOOOORMATION!!

: Behold! VIKUNGFU!!
: R-Rom!
: I’ll keep this fiend at bay, Misato! In the meantime, you must all seek shelter!
: D-Don’t! None of our attacks have any effect on the Angel!
: Regardless, I refuse to step aside…!
: Those I wish to be safe are at risk. Thus, I’ll stand and fight…!
: Such is a man’s battle! And as a man, I cannot simply turn tail and flee from it – regardless of the foe that must be faced!
: R-Rom…!

: Is that?!
: The Magnate Ten…!
: Are you alright, Misato?!
: Ve-Vega! You’re here too!
: Yes and I apologize for being so late!

Everyone’s at max morale! :black101:

: It’s… everyone…
: They came to help us…?!
: ‘Course! We’re all friends here – and I know that’s a huge cliché!
: But, I’m…
: None of us care about whatever color your blood is, Ayato.
: We’ve all come from different backgrounds, planets… each one with a distinct course in life. Yet we’ve risen above all those and now stand united.
: He’s right, and bonds forged in the fire battle of cannot be broken by anyone. You should know that, Ayato Kamina. That is, if you still consider yourself a member of the Magnate Ten…!
: What he said. We’re not gonna get hung up on technicalities like that.
: Guys…
: Hrm… this is none of your beeswax…! We can deal with this our—…!
: Oi, drop the act!
: This is just the moment where you should smile and take our help!
: Hmhmm. However hard you might work, there’s a limit to what one person can do.
: Though we can’t really say much since we’re always glued to each other…
: But maybe we're more competent than you give us credit for. Ya ever think of that?
: Y-You…!
: Quickly, everyone. That Angel does not seem to be your average enemy.
: Well, not being an “average enemy” is pretty much their whole shtick… still, we better fix this up pronto or things’ll be real bad.
: Right! The entrance to the Geofront is over there!

: All units, engage and destroy the D1 and the Angel! Protect NERV HQ!
: Aye, aye!
: Forward! We’ve to help them all!
: (Everyone in the Magnate Ten came here to fight… and I… I…!)

And that’s the story of how Rom saved Christmas.

Rest of this mission will probably be up tomorrow!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 26, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like how evangelion and rahxephon can exist in the same world as G gundam, machine robo and a whole bunch of other hot blooded mecha silliness.

It is a sliding scale tho with eva and xephon at one side, UC and Dragonar in the middle and machine robo riight over there in the hot blood corner.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I still prefer Alpha's version of this for 1. Haran Banjou and 2. Shinji just deciding to continue fighting with the Londo Bel because, frankly, he likes the Londo Bel and would like to keep fighting, just not along side Gendo.

That said ROM MOTHERFUCKING STOLL

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
God bless Rom Stol. The last time something this amazing happened in Tokyo-03, Alberto the Shockwave no-sold Sachiel.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Itsuki’s also went to check up on Ayato. He’s here simply to accompany other folks, though he has an inkling they’ll be heading back with nothing soon enough. Ayato apologizes for not being able to make good on his promise to keep Quon safe but Isshiki tells him not to worry. She’s doing fine.

You probably meant Itsuki there, not Isshiki.

Also I'm glad Rom saved Christmas. That is what people call...a man!

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Stormgear posted:

God bless Rom Stol. The last time something this amazing happened in Tokyo-03, Alberto the Shockwave no-sold Sachiel.

That was my favourite part of Alpha 1.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Man...and people look at me weirdly when I say I don't like NGE or it's sibling series....but I guess everything can be made infinitly better with ROM STOLL.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ashram posted:

Man...and people look at me weirdly when I say I don't like NGE or it's sibling series....but I guess everything can be made infinitly better with ROM STOLL.

It's perfectly fine not to like them. I like them, but I tremendously enjoy seeing their usual grim hopelessness being contrasted by Rom 'motherfucking' Stoll. Moments like this are what I live for in SRW. It's why J was such a disappointment.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

It's practically a Super Robot Wars tradition for whenever NGE pulls out the "here's something hopeless and unknowable" card, someone from a different series shows up and effortlessly saves the day. I think you-know-who* (not sure if I even need to be coy about it, but they haven't shown up yet within MX) even calls it out in L, as well as explicitly telling SEELE that the Rebuild of Evangelion storyline is ending abruptly because they're in the wrong universe (meaning one that needs to wrap up the Evangelion storyline, but the latter half of Rebuild wasn't finished).

*I also like that in more recent appearances, the guy seems openly aware of his other appearances in the franchise.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Angel's still got plot immunity though, right?

...at least we can build a wall of robot flesh between it and the Geofront? There aren't things like attacks that knock robots around the map or anything?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
So do they ever explain why Ayato's eyes turn red? It's fine if it's a spoiler, I'm mostly just curious if they ever actually do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey this isnt how that episode of EVA went...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Glazius posted:

The Angel's still got plot immunity though, right?

...at least we can build a wall of robot flesh between it and the Geofront? There aren't things like attacks that knock robots around the map or anything?

You're looking for SRW Neo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

You're looking for SRW Neo.

Everyone should be looking for SRW Neo.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
You Don't Deserve to Know This LP's Name: Rom Stoll Improves Everything

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'm glad him joining the team has done absolutely nothing to stop Rom just appearing out of nowhere to give a big speech and then get into a big fight. It continues to be such an amazing treat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Nephrite posted:

So do they ever explain why Ayato's eyes turn red? It's fine if it's a spoiler, I'm mostly just curious if they ever actually do.

It's related to his Mu Phase, his eyes turn red whenever he's in "full power" mode.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Kill everything, don’t lose Rom, Ayato or a ship. Zeruel still can’t be damaged but neither can our powerhouse Rom, so they’ll stay down there and glare at each other.
Meanwhile, we’ve four turns to clear out the top area before things proceed.

While the RNG saw fit to screw Domon when he went after a Grave, I bring in Light and Kaine to start dealing with the Metronomes.

Between our maxed our morale and their piddly defenses, these guys will fall quickly enough. The Allegrettos and Graves have been given a majorly boosted HP, though.

So don’t be afraid to pop a valor here and there. Save some for Mamoru, mind.

And the game isn’t letting me deploy Vega’s bike for whatever reason! :mad:

Blah, almost. Akira finishes it off.

Oh and before I forget:

Obligato (Mamoru Torigai ???)
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L4
  • Counter L4
  • Support Attack L2
Mech Features:
  • Debuff Immunity
  • Harmonic Field
???’s Voice Actor: Hirofumi Nojima (Other known works: Gainer in King Gainer, Shuuya in Inazuma Eleven, Siegfried in Majestic Prince and several more)

: You AWFUL BOY!!

The Obligato’s known as pretty much the strongest Dolem and it’s got a lot of stuff to back that up. A ton of armor plus that barrier and Prevail makes it very bulky, it’s got S on all terrains that matter, meaning it’s also dodgy and, of course, its attacks are also high-powered.
Mamoru’s big stats all around also make this pretty much the toughest costumer we’ve had so far… granted, I’d only be worried/annoyed in MXP. Still, keep an eye out.

Back to work, Ayato.

Almost gone.

Oh, and behold: unstoppable force vs immovable object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR0A_Mgegrc

: Hrm! I really cannot inflict any damage on it?!
: Their weapons aren’t working either…!
: Is the #01 the only thing that can defeat it…?!

Enemy Phase!

Ayato’s still getting pestered by the folks around him but the terrain bonus says none of their attacks can connect.

Amuro also seems to be a priority target to the Dolems.

He can handle it. That’s a decent chunk of HP off all Graves and Allegrettos.

The Metronomes focus on Dendoh and Tetsuya… who have Iron Wall running.

Get outta here with that weak poo poo, boy!

Player Phase!

D-d-d-double kill for Tetsuya. He’s making very good time on that kill count.

Give the captains some love.

Ruri had been falling behind a wee bit.

This one goes to Tap.

Time to start freeing out bud.

There goes a third of its health. Ginga finishes it off with a nice yo-yo.

Enemy Phase!

The Metronomes waste their time with the Dendoh. All the better for me.

Mamoru’s clever, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23TlVFyzXk
Sonic boom!

Player Phase!

*Alarm!*

: This isn’t working! The Angel still hasn’t suffered any injuries whatsoever!
: drat it…! Not even the Magnate Ten can last like this!
: Still, we will not yield! We cannot!
: Rom…!
: Shinji, the only thing I can do is sit here and wait… but that’s not the case with you. You’ve something you can do – something only you can do.
: No one will force you. Think and make a decision. Ask yourself: “what should I be doing right now?”
: And be very sure that you’ve no regrets.

Light takes out the last Metronome, so the Obligato is all that remains. It will only defend outside its turn, so it’s time to start popping Valors.

: (Psh, I can’t go on…!)
: (However, Ollin, know that your pain will continue… it will go on until the moment of your awakening!)

*Off he goes.*

: (It disappeared…?! Just what was that Dolem…?!)
: What’s the status inside the Geofront?!
: Still very bad – the Angel isn’t taking any damage from our attacks!
: Urgh…! Do we have no way of beating that thing?!
: Is the #01 ready yet?!
: No, it continues to reject the Dummy Plug!

*Alarm!*

: Again. Redo the process from step 108 onward.
: Still nothing! There’s no response!
: (Why…?! Why are you rejecting me…? Why are you rejecting Rei and the Dummy Plug…?!)
: (Just what are you thinking, Yui…?!)
: Let me pilot it!
: Please…! Let me pilot the EVA-01!
: (D-Dad…!)
: … Why are you here?
: B-Because…!
: Because I’m Shinji Ikari, pilot of the Evangelion Unit #01!!

: Th-The target’s attacking the HQ again!
: The last eastern bulkhead has been completely blown away!
: The target’s on the move!

*Zeruel floats closer to NERV HQ.*

: It’s heading into the main shaft!
: Hrm! I won’t allow it!

: Uuoorgh!
: R-Rom!!

: The EVA-01! Shinji?!
: UWAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtH2Rs7Zs-0

: I-It connected!
: HAAAAAAAAAH!!

: RAAAAAAAARGH!!

: YAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

*Beeeeeeeeeeeep.*

: I’m… out of energy?!
: The #01’s drained its reserves! The backup power supply isn’t working!
: Shinji!

: S-Shinji!!
: Move, move, move, move, move, move, move, move, move!
: Move, move, MOVE!!

: If you don’t – if you don’t do something right the hell now – then everyone’ll die!! I’ve had enough of all this suffering!!
: So, please, for the love of god, MOOOVE!!

*Heartbeat*

: Wh-What?!
: Th-This sensation is…?!
: How…!
: Th-The EVA-01’s reactivated!!

: I-Incredible…!
: That’s the true strength of an EVA…?!
: I…I don’t believe it…! The #01’s sync ratio is exceeding 400%!
: She has awakened...!
: UOOOOOOOOOOOO….!

: Wh-What is going on?!

: It’s… eating the Angel?!
: The #01’s assimilating its S² Engine…!!
: Kch…! Uurgh!
: GWOOO…

: The bindings are coming loose…!
: Bindings?!
: Yes… the plates around it aren’t armor. Rather, they are bindings to help us keep the EVA’s actual strength under control.
: And now it’s breaking free of them…! We can no longer stop it.
: …!!
: EVA-01… that which will bring Instrumentality to this world…
: The #01’s awakened and set free… SEELE won’t take this sitting down. Is this all part of your script, Cmdr. Ikari?
: …It’s begun.
: Hm… Everything is now in motion.

: The EVA Series aren’t capable of generating S² Engines… To think the #01 would assimilate one by devouring an Angel…
: This incident is at extreme odds with our script.
: And it will not be a simple matter to correct this…
: Gendou Ikari… maybe it was a mistake to give him command of NERV.
: Yet, without him, we’d be unable to carry out all our plans.
: Our current problems aren’t limited to just the EVA-01, however.
: Indeed… the #00 and #02 have suffered catastrophic damage…
: Much of HQ is destroyed and Central Dogma is exposed… this is an enormous setback. There’s no telling how much time and money we’ve lost with this.
: All because we didn’t see fit to tie a bell around Ikari’s neck.
: There is a bell – it simply didn’t ring.
: What’s the point of a bell that won’t ring, then?
: We’ll make sure it works properly from now on…

Back at NERV, this is quite the unexpected development for Kaji and he asks the bosses what they’ll say to SEELE. Fuyutsuki says they weren’t in control of the #01 – what happened was an accident.
Gendou’s had the mech sealed away for now until the committee decides what to do. A sensible decision to Kaji but, then, that begs the question: what about Gendou’s son, still trapped inside the thing?

Maya’s trying to eject the entry plug the signal isn’t being accepted – neither are the backups and quasi-signals. Not even a direct circuit is taking. Makoto did manage to establish a video feed but it brings no good news: the Entry Plug is empty and Shinji is nowhere in sight.
Ritsuko now sees what happens when the sync ratio goes up to 400%: Shinji was absorbed into the #01. Misato wants to know what the hell EVA is that it could do that to Shinji, and Ritsuko says the only way to put it than that EVA is an object created by man in Man’s own image.

Misato doesn’t take that story: all they’ve done is create a simple copy of the thing they found in the South Pole. Ritsuko resents that, saying a human mind has been imbued into it. What, does she mean that all this happened by someone’s will?
Ritsuko posits that it might be the EVA’s own will behind it… and gets slapped out of her thoughts by Misato. This is NOT the time for her to be philosophizing so nonchalantly – do something! If she helped build this thing, then she needs to take responsibility for it.

At the hospital, Rei’s woken up: “I’m still alive… Ikari…”

Some time later, the women are discussing a possible plan to bring Shinji back (right by the unarmored EVA-01, above). Their theory is that his “ego boundary” has been lost, doing away with his physical self, but he’s still inside the Entry Plug on a quantum level. That is to say, his soul is still there.
Now, the stuff inside the plug is similar to the old primordial soup, meaning Shinji has been reverted into his building blocks, unseen to us. Ritsuko’s plan is to force his body to take form once again and bring his soul back in. Misato’s surprised something like that’s possible but Ritsuko is confident it is, provided we’ve the MAGIs’ support.
Granted, this is all conjecture but it’s not like we have anything else to go on.

Back to SEELE, the committee members fume at how greatly their schedule has been set back due to recent events – this will only serve to help the MU… and Methuselah. Keel figures the time has come to awaken their trump card: Tabris, cornerstone of their script.
How does he feel? “I can hear… the songs of the Ollins. It’s beginning again… the ceremony of death and rebirth…”

: (… Where am I…? What’s going on? I should be inside the #01’s Entry Plug…)
: (…Is someone crying?)
: (That’s… me, back when I was little…)
: (And that’s… dad…?)
: Shinji… behave yourself at our uncle’s.
: Where’s mom? Where did she go?!
: Your mother is dead.
: You’re lying!
: I’m not. You saw it yourself.
: Shinji… get in the EVA and fight. You are its pilot.
: No! Why are you asking that now?! Didn’t you not want me anymore?!
: No! No! Stop it, dad! STOP IT!!

Back in the real world, it’s already been three days since it all went down. Shinji isn’t back yet and Asuka wonders what’ll happen to him – he’s not going to spend the rest of his life like that, is he?
Kaji hops on over and asks if she’s worried about the kid. Of course not! In fact, she’s super stoked because now she’s got more screen time. Kaji sighs at her prideful act, suggesting she be more honest or she’ll never find a boyfriend.
She is NOT putting up any act and the only boyfriend she wants is Kaji. Better. Her being incensed beats being sullen, Kaji figures, and adds that while Shinji’s situation is worrisome, he’s certain the kid is still putting up the fight of his life. Asuka should work just as hard.
And with that, Kaji walks off.

Maya’s quite impressed with Ritsuko that she managed to get the whole plan set up in just these three days. Nah, Ritsuko says this wasn’t her doing: she simply used data from a ten-year-old experiment.
Something like this happened before during the EVA’s development? It was before Ritsuko’s time but her mom, Naoko Akagi, was present. Maya has heard of the lady, one of the people responsible for creating the MAGI’s systems.
How did things go, the last time people tried what we’re about to do? It failed and that’s when Gendou changed.

Elsewhere, Kaji’s gone after Misato. She hasn’t gone home to sleep or even taken time to eat properly over the past days, so he’s worried about her. Her mind can’t break away from all this to allow her to do any such things.
Still, she’s done a bit of digging into Shinji’s school and, as it turns out, all of his classmates are potential EVA pilots. Just how far does NERV's reach extend, anyway? She doubts Kaji will just spit out the truth, but asks anyway: “Why is Adam, he who’d destroy humanity, stored in our underground? What is the commander trying to do with it? What is the Human Instrumentality Project?”
Kaji tells her to calm down, but she demands to know how Gendou and Ritsuko can be so calm when Shinji's in the state he is. Just what the hell is NERV's real objective, anyway?

Kanji then tells her to shut up a moment, take a deep breath, and close her eyes. He wants her to forget about NERV, if only for a moment. What the hell is he doing? This isn’t the time for his nonsense!
Kaji quips that he was just trying to help her relax a bit but, again, this is hardly the time for relaxation. Misato yells at the idiot to get out and he readily obliges. Before he does, though, he tells her one thing: “My feelings haven’t change these past eight years. I… I’ve always loved you…”

: (… How long has it been…? Am I… Am I going to be here forever…?)
: Who are you…?
: Come with me, Shinji…
: M-Mom…?
: You’ve gotten so tall… you’re all grown up…
: Where… Where have you been, mom? I’ve been so lonely after you disappeared. Why didn’t you come back?
: I’ve been here all long, waiting for you. I knew you’d come here… there’s nothing to be afraid of anymore.
: Now we’ll always be together, Shinji…
: But I…
: I have to… I have to go back and pilot the EVA. To fight against our enemies and win.
: No… you’ve already done more than enough. You’ve fought and were hurt for the sake of others so much… your body and soul must be in tatters.
: There is no need for you to go back. You can just stay here forever, Shinji…

: Probe insertion complete. EM field stable at -0,3. Ego Boundary pulse, connected.
: Understood.
: Begin the salvage!
: Transmitting first signal.
: Confirmed reception at the EVA – no signs of rejection. Next, transmitting the second and third signal!
: Subject’s cathexis is nominal.
: (Shinji…)

: Shinji. (All their faces are obscured.)
: Misato…
: You don’t belong to just yourself anymore. You are the EVA’s pilot and we’ve no choice but to entrust our future to you.
: Yes… so fight on. We cannot lose you now.
: Yeah, fight. You can’t run or face away from reality.
: Fight. Cowards are useless in a battle where humanity’s very existence is at stake.
: Fight, drat it! We are some of the chosen few! We have to beat the Angels!
: Only the Evangelion can defeat the Angels and save humanity from the Third Impact.
: Shut up! No!! I’ve done enough! I don’t want to fight anymore!
: I’m staying here! I’ll stay in here forever!

*Alarm!*

: The pulse is stuck in a loop!
: Irradiate EM waves in all directions!

*Alarm!*

: It’s not working!
: The signals we’ve sent are being trapped in a Klein space…!
: What does that mean?!
: It means… we’ve failed.
: The EVA’s rejecting our signals!
: Plug internal pressure rising!
: This is bad! Abort the operation! Cut the power!
: I can’t! The Plug’s being evacuated!
: Shinji!!

In MXP, you get this added scene right here:

: (Don’t, Ikari... Come back... Don’t go over there…)
: (… There’s always been this gaping void within me, like I’m no more than a doll made of straw… So often that scares me…)
: (I believe I’d been filling that void with thoughts of Commander Ikari… But… Before I realized, Ikari was there.)
: (I didn’t think he’d recover after what happened with Suzuhara… but he did. He came back and he saved us…)
: (Please… Don’t take him away… Give him back to us…)

Things go back to common ground now:

: WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
: What’s wrong? Didn’t you want to be together with me?
: No!!
: Come on… We’ll travel to an unending world, where there is no pain or sadness.
: Stop! Let me go!! You’re not my mom!
: N-No! Help me, mom! Mom!!

: *sniffles* Kch…Aah…
: What good is your science… if it can’t save just one life…?!
: Give Shinji back to us! Give him back!!

Gendou: He’ll have to live in the aftermath of the Second Impact – in this Hell on earth…
Yui: No… so long as one wishes to live, anywhere can be Heaven on earth. He’s alive, so he’ll have a chance to be happy.
Gendou: Yes… you’re right.
: (Why… Why can’t I move my legs…?)
: (I want to run after mom… but my legs are frozen in place.)
Yui: …Shinji.
Yui: You can come here if you’d like. Just take a few steps forward. Can't you?
Yui: Perhaps where you truly want to go is not to my side… but across the boundless ocean at your back?
Yui: Wherever you may go, I will always be watching over you. So choose for yourself what road you wish to travel.
Yui: Listen… Someone’s calling out to you from across the sea.
: …Mom…
: I… I smell someone… Ayanami? Misato…? And... everyone of the Magnate Ten? (This last phrase is only in MXP's version)

This following scene is ALSO only in MXP:

: … This is…
: Ikari…
: Ayanami… what happened to me…?
: You were assimilated by the #01… and almost went to the other side.
: But… you came back.
: …Thanks.
: Why did you say that?
: I… I’m not sure… I just felt like saying it when I saw you.
: Hm… Still, I’m glad I could see your face again.
: But… are you fine with this?
: Honestly, I don’t know… I don’t remember much of what happened when I was asleep…
: But I’m also glad that I could see you again, Ayanami.

*Door opens.*

: Shinji!
: Misato…!
: Oh, I’m so… so happy you woke up…!
: Hey! Do you have any idea how worried you had us?! Huh?! Do you, idiot?!
: Asuka…
: Ayanami… I think I’ve figured out something about myself…
: I… I want to be together with all of you and our friends of the Magnate Ten…
: Really…

Back to normal.

Later, in Neo Tokyo 3, Kaji’s meeting Johji Futagami. He asks if Kaji’s got any news to tell but the only thing he has is that four EVA-oriented carriers have set off from Hakone to Hoshimi. Everything's the same as ever.
Hmhmm. Still, Johji’s impressed at how well-informed Kaji is about the Magnate Ten’s activities but the guy simply says he’s making a piece on the squad for this magazine he works with. Plus, he finds the guys interesting, so he follows them around here and there.

Johji laughs but figures our squad isn’t the ONLY thing Kaji is interested in. Indeed, he says he also delves into some occult stuff… like the old Devil Empire or the MU? The latter, says Kaji.
For instance, Kaji asks if Johji’s heard of the so called “Human Specimen nº 1” and, indeed, he has: the one who was discovered some twenty years before the MU revealed themselves to the world. Perhaps the two “reporters” should exchange notes…

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 29, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, again, this is a moment I loved in Alpha. Because Amuro uses his Newtype powers to reach in and establish a connection with Shinji so the cast can talk with him, helping him guide his way back to reality.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, I just want to talk a little more about what I've found out from the EVA EU. Yui Ikari is just as much of a sack of poo poo as her husband. Her plan could basically boil down to: Get an S2 engine on the EVA so it never runs out of power (done), keep a human soul inside for when the apocalypse hits, then just cruise through space forever as a monument that humans existed. So she used both Gendo and Shinji as a means to this end.

God drat does Shinji have a terrible family.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Ashsaber posted:

So, I just want to talk a little more about what I've found out from the EVA EU. Yui Ikari is just as much of a sack of poo poo as her husband.
I have to disagree with you there.

Yui is a considerably worse person than Gendo. And a worse parent.

Having Shinji there to watch his mom get eaten by a giant robot? That was intentional on Yui's part. And that's just the tip of the iceberg where Yui's concerned.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Ashsaber posted:

God drat does Shinji have a terrible family.

This might be just from my point of view (and definitely on a much lesser scale)
but I recall from some manga of evangelion I read a LONG while ago (think it was actually dealing with this very moment, though I may be confusing multiple issues I owned)
where shinji's uncle and aunt treat him like poo poo over a bike he found abandoned in a trash heap

though to be fair the same issue also had random policemen and people being incredible assholes to a little kid for no right reason
so it may just be that 90% of people in eva world are massive bastards

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arkanumzilong posted:

This might be just from my point of view (and definitely on a much lesser scale)
but I recall from some manga of evangelion I read a LONG while ago (think it was actually dealing with this very moment, though I may be confusing multiple issues I owned)
where shinji's uncle and aunt treat him like poo poo over a bike he found abandoned in a trash heap

though to be fair the same issue also had random policemen and people being incredible assholes to a little kid for no right reason
so it may just be that 90% of people in eva world are massive bastards

This seems like the correct answer, yes.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Okay, this episode was basically when I gave up trying to make sense of Evangelion. I just threw up hands and quit trying to understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Sandman posted:

I have to disagree with you there.

Yui is a considerably worse person than Gendo. And a worse parent.

Having Shinji there to watch his mom get eaten by a giant robot? That was intentional on Yui's part. And that's just the tip of the iceberg where Yui's concerned.

Yui's plan was also contingent on her nerd husband having a healthy grieving process when she offed herself, despite the fact she knew how emotionally fragile he was when they were in college. The only good people in Shinji's life was Kawrou and Kanji, because Mistao is hosed up in the head even if she does genuinely love him and can only show affection and emotional solace through physical affection.

• Locked thread