Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Never mind, actually

Junpei fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
So I got some of the plot right, but the Dingus I wasn't entirely expecting. He was such a non-entity, even with a portrait and as a Magus analogue, that I figured he'd get eaten by the last boss to boost it's strength.

I'm also not a fan of name of the last boss. Dark Samsara? Why dark? Is there a Light Samsara to compare it to? Or any other Samsara in that family tree? Just call it Samsara, that name makes sense by itself without having to qualify it.

Overall, though, I warmed up to this game much more than I did in the first dozen updates. The music and setting one me over, even if the game itself falls short of what it tries to do.

Also, Junpei you gently caress. Can't you just stop giving an unwanted or ignorant opinion? You should have been banned after that mess you made in the WKTD lp.

Mundetiam fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 26, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Call out the LP'er
For no reason
A real life Dingus!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mundetiam posted:

I'm also not a fan of name of the last boss. Dark Samsara? Why dark? Is there a Light Samsara to compare it to? Or any other Samsara in that family tree? Just call it Samsara, that name makes sense by itself without having to qualify it.

Well Samsara is also a powerful light-element attack... in a different JRPG franchise. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Call out the LP'er
For no reason
A real life Dingus!

:golfclap:

Also seconding Id-Endir being the best character, this game desperately needed someone to give Setsuna poo poo for trying to show mercy to every monster who's mouth she sticks her head in

Danaru fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 26, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Looking forward to everyone closing off their character arcs with Endir mocking them in the background.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The worst part is he can't even ditch this now-certainly-deadbeat job because, you know, end of all existence.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Junpei posted:

I thought this was a constructive use of my time on Christmas Day.

I'll be sure all future LPs are in line with the tastes and specifications of forum user Junpei. Here, start on your next cool Tech catchphrase! They're definitely quality content enriching the thread and not something I put you on the Ignore list the 32nd time you obsessively badgered me about 'em. I'll give you a preview of what's to come, chief:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Night10194 posted:

The worst part is he can't even ditch this now-certainly-deadbeat job because, you know, end of all existence.

Look on the bright side! Now he can renegotiate the terms of his contract and get, like, double his earnings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Look on the bright side! Now he can renegotiate the terms of his contract and get, like, double his earnings.

I'd settle for just making off with every penny of non-plot related money the party's earned from shanking penguins.

Not like they'll need it for any further ultimate weapons once Time Devourer Samsara is dusted.

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
In the Japanese version Aeterna is called Kuon, and it means 'eternity' in Japanese.

Another name that was significantly altered is Nidr. His Japanese name is Yomi.

Eutess doesn't mean anything in any language I know. It is original, so it is easy to google her fanart.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

GimmickMan posted:

Looking forward to everyone closing off their character arcs with Endir mocking them in the background.

Genuinely curious about what Nidr's aside is gonna be. Hope Setsuna manages to rub a few neurons together and figure it out.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Capfalcon posted:

Genuinely curious about what Nidr's aside is gonna be. Hope Setsuna manages to rub a few neurons together and figure it out.

I have to assume they'll tie that up at some point. This game isn't the kind of bad that outright abandons plot threads. The completion might be incredibly stupid (Reaper) but they'll at least engage in some kind of sequence of events that comes to a thing that could be called a conclusion.

...I was really trying to say something kinda good about IAS. That didn't come out too inspiring.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Akratic Method posted:

I have to assume they'll tie that up at some point. This game isn't the kind of bad that outright abandons plot threads. The completion might be incredibly stupid (Reaper) but they'll at least engage in some kind of sequence of events that comes to a thing that could be called a conclusion.

...I was really trying to say something kinda good about IAS. That didn't come out too inspiring.

I mean, I assume that it's gonna happen. I'm just hoping that it's specificly Setsuna who figures it out. It'd be nice for her to be a bit less of a fence post about these things

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nidr is the Land of Snow word for reading the mind of the opponent.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Capfalcon posted:

I mean, I assume that it's gonna happen. I'm just hoping that it's specificly Setsuna who figures it out. It'd be nice for her to be a bit less of a fence post about these things

I'm fully expecting one of two scenarios:

1. Setsuna: "I know you have something important to tell me Nidr, but you don't have to say it now. Tell me when you're ready."

2. Setsuna: "Father or not, you're still Nidr, my precious traveling companion."

Oh, and there's something that's bugging me. We never got an explanation for why Aeterna went and disappeared when she did. We know what she is, sure, but we don't know why she blinked out of existence, do we? Maybe Eutess remakes Aeternas as they expire and this one's the Cait Sith Mk. II of I am Setsuna...

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Dark Id posted:

I'll be sure all future LPs are in line with the tastes and specifications of forum user Junpei. Here, start on your next cool Tech catchphrase! They're definitely quality content enriching the thread and not something I put you on the Ignore list the 32nd time you obsessively badgered me about 'em. I'll give you a preview of what's to come, chief:

:vince:

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

MachuPikacchu posted:

Oh, and there's something that's bugging me. We never got an explanation for why Aeterna went and disappeared when she did. We know what she is, sure, but we don't know why she blinked out of existence, do we? Maybe Eutess remakes Aeternas as they expire and this one's the Cait Sith Mk. II of I am Setsuna...

Eutess summons Aeterna every time she needs someone to grab something from a tall shelf or some furniture moved.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Dark Id posted:

Id threads are the best threads :allears:

EDIT: VVVVVV :bisonyes:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 27, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am super curious if Id edited the screenshot or did what I would have done and actually edited the sprinthite name.

I ask because the edit is pretty darn good if it's the first one.

PS: Read the filename.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 27, 2016

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Trick Question posted:

Eutess summons Aeterna every time she needs someone to grab something from a tall shelf or some furniture moved.
Please, you know Eutess sends Aeterna out on grocery runs Oregon Trail-style when she needs a midnight snack. :v:

So have we actually done anything outside of saving a couple of towns? Sure, Nidr's tree log and Setsuna's wingspan are masterpieces appraised at 1082.99 on I am Setsuna's Antique Roadshow, but I'm drawing a blank as to what we've actually accomplished.

Edit: Besides renaming the airship Trebuchet. Our greatest achievement to date is above petty accomplishments.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 27, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Dark Id posted:

:golfclap: Beautiful.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Nimsant posted:

Another name that was significantly altered is Nidr. His Japanese name is Yomi.

I guess we have the localization team to blame for the worst character name in the game then...
It looks like somebody banged on the keys at random and when said out loud sounds unfortunately like a racial epithet.
I thought maybe it's a Norse mythological thing or something but searching for it only brings up results about this game.

I was always amused that Endir's Japanese name is just "End".

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 27, 2016

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Dipshit roasting aside, I'll probably have the Snow Chronicles update tomorrow. But it will be a couple days until the next proper update. Now that we're at the very end game, a character specific side quest that unlocks everyone's ultimate Spritnite tech has opened up. The only requirement is to go to the correct location (usually where you meet the character in question) and have them in the active party. Doesn't matter what order we go in. So I'll leave the specifics up to you all:

:frogsiren:

:frogsiren: Poll: End Game Sidequests Order :frogsiren:

JustAnotherNobody
Jun 20, 2015

Variant_Eris posted:

Please, you know Eutess sends Aeterna out on grocery runs Oregon Trail-style when she needs a midnight snack. :v:

So have we actually done anything outside of saving a couple of towns? Sure, Nidr's tree log and Setsuna's wingspan are masterpieces appraised at 1082.99 on I am Setsuna's Antique Roadshow, but I'm drawing a blank as to what we've actually accomplished.

Edit: Besides renaming the airship Trebuchet. Our greatest achievement to date is above petty accomplishments.

So Aeterna has died of dysentery at least once?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just pull Dingus out, show us what he can do, resolve his **~~ANGST~~** and cover your shame ASAP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Poll Result: No-one cares about Kir.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Night10194 posted:

Poll Result: No-one cares about Kir.

Kir surprisingly in third place behind Endir and Dingus. No, the real treasure is that Setsuna and Nidr are almost tied in dead last, Setsuna with one measly vote and Nidr with two.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's not like Setsuna even has a character.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I voted dingus so we can get garbage out of the way first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

It's not like Setsuna even has a character.

Setsuna has a character.

See?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm reading the FFX LP slowly in the archive, and as far as I can tell, Yuna at least had a seed of a character. Little things like talking to Tidus about how she has to practice smiling even though she's terrified and depressed because she wants people to see the hero they want to see? That's at least a germ of a good concept. Setsuna doesn't even have that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Materant posted:

Kir surprisingly in third place behind Endir and Dingus. No, the real treasure is that Setsuna and Nidr are almost tied in dead last, Setsuna with one measly vote and Nidr with two.

I voted Kir because I wanted the lovely characters done first. Save the good characters for last so we can enjoy it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That's the thing, excluding Endir every other vote looks like a "get this poo poo over with" vote.

Just like every other election, it's a not a vote for someone, its a vote against someone else.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Voted Julienne in the hopes of maybe getting a better explanation for why Endir was hired. Still loving this LP, thanks for saving me 40 bucks and a bit of disappointment. Looking forward to seeing whatever comes next!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Honestly, I'm the most curious about Endir's side story as he's the one with the least characterization in the non LP version of the game.

Maybe he actually finds someone who will pay him for saving the world...

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

the_steve posted:

I voted Kir because I wanted the lovely characters done first. Save the good characters for last so we can enjoy it.

Yeah, Kir's... fine. Hopefully his quest gives him more character. If not, we get a few more gremlin jokes and move onto more interesting stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
civilization on this continent if not world consists of less than 10 tiny villages, most of which have no contact with each other. i'm not really sure why mercenaries exist in this setting at all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering Endir took this job and ended up going on an entire quest, I'm gonna bet he doesn't get hired very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Night10194 posted:

I'm reading the FFX LP slowly in the archive, and as far as I can tell, Yuna at least had a seed of a character. Little things like talking to Tidus about how she has to practice smiling even though she's terrified and depressed because she wants people to see the hero they want to see? That's at least a germ of a good concept. Setsuna doesn't even have that.

Yeah, Yuna's personality trait is "putting everyone else ahead of herself even when it really sucks and she could kinda use some me time to cope with everything." It's easy to miss since that often results in taking a back seat to other people's stuff, but it's definitely there on purpose.

• Locked thread