Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whitlam posted:

Fair enough, and I do take the point, but there are a lot of crime shows, and I'm sure at least one has done it at least once. I've definitely read crime thrillers where it's been a plot device/red herring so maybe it's just more common in books. :shrug:

For what it's worth, I agree that the case will probably never be officially 100% conclusively solved, but I also think the immediate family probably knows what happened, and will take the secret to their graves. Well, those who are still alive.

We can all agree that child beauty pageants where the five year olds are wearing more make-up than most people do in a month and are dressed in bikinis or whatever are unnerving though, right?

Wait until the inevitable pedophilia scandal happens. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why the gently caress do you think the family knows what happened? It is obvious that the police bungled everything, any chance there was a finding out who is responsible is lost. It's not worth considering families murderers just because you have some sort of hunch based on how TV shows work

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Why the gently caress do you think the family knows what happened? It is obvious that the police bungled everything, any chance there was a finding out who is responsible is lost. It's not worth considering families murderers just because you have some sort of hunch based on how TV shows work

Statistics. The vast majority of child murders are committed by a family member.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

whiteyfats posted:

Wait until the inevitable pedophilia scandal happens. :smithicide:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc Frank saw it coming. He's always two steps ahead.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pick posted:

whiteyfats posted:

Statistics. The vast majority of child murders are committed by a family member.

Also, part of the police gently caress ups were leaving family members to wander the house, leaving lots of time to clean up. I don't think the family did it, but I would not be surprised either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

whiteyfats posted:

God dammit that's not how you use statistics.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pick posted:

God dammit that's not how you use statistics.

How do you use it, then?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just because there is a, let's say, 85% odds that a murdered child was killed by someone in the family does not mean that, in a case where a specific child was murdered, there is an 85% chance that their family did it. There is a 0% or a 100% chance that someone in their family did it, and you do not know which. Over all cases, this will end up being a 85% probability, but that's not actually useful in establishing guilt in any specific case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's not odds or probability. Nobody is rolling a die to see who was the murderer. It's the historical prevalence, and doesn't have predictive power for any specific case.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lack of any other viable suspects, along with the shoddy investigation, warrants/warranted a closer look at the family.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I completely agree that the police bungled it, which is why I don't think we'll ever know for sure what happened. I just think some of the stronger pieces of evidence point more in the direction of family involvement than random intruder, which is why it's probably worth not discounting them. Of course one of the reasons it's such a controversial case is that a lot of the evidence can be interpreted in more than one way, so feel free to believe whatever you want. I wouldn't say my mind is definitively made up, so if new evidence was revealed or discovered that pointed to someone else I'd happily say I was wrong, just on the basis of what I know, I'd say family involvement is more likely than not.

For content: The Family Murders. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_Murders A group of people in Adelaide, South Australia, committed a number of abductions, which turned into sexual abuse and murder of and teenage boys. Only one person has ever been successfully charged (an accountant who was previously known for rescuing a gay man who members of the police had tried to murder), and other suspected family members include members of the legal community, a rich businessman, and a high-profile doctor, with more people possibly involved. This is yet another case where all the details will never be known, and people will probably be speculating about it for years to come.

If it sounds kind of unlikely that a group of socially privileged individuals would get together in this shady conspiracy to kidnap and murder young men, you've got to know that Adelaide is... kind of weird. At the time it was fairly small and isolated, and socially it was a different time as well. Police officers were going out with the active intent of murdering gay people ("poofter bashing" was something of a national pastime), so they were hardly an incorruptible power for good, and everyone knew everyone's business, with a dash of a code of silence thrown in.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Whitlam posted:

I completely agree that the police bungled it, which is why I don't think we'll ever know for sure what happened. I just think some of the stronger pieces of evidence point more in the direction of family involvement than random intruder, which is why it's probably worth not discounting them. Of course one of the reasons it's such a controversial case is that a lot of the evidence can be interpreted in more than one way, so feel free to believe whatever you want. I wouldn't say my mind is definitively made up, so if new evidence was revealed or discovered that pointed to someone else I'd happily say I was wrong, just on the basis of what I know, I'd say family involvement is more likely than not.

For content: The Family Murders. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_Murders A group of people in Adelaide, South Australia, committed a number of abductions, which turned into sexual abuse and murder of and teenage boys. Only one person has ever been successfully charged (an accountant who was previously known for rescuing a gay man who members of the police had tried to murder), and other suspected family members include members of the legal community, a rich businessman, and a high-profile doctor, with more people possibly involved. This is yet another case where all the details will never be known, and people will probably be speculating about it for years to come.

If it sounds kind of unlikely that a group of socially privileged individuals would get together in this shady conspiracy to kidnap and murder young men, you've got to know that Adelaide is... kind of weird. At the time it was fairly small and isolated, and socially it was a different time as well. Police officers were going out with the active intent of murdering gay people ("poofter bashing" was something of a national pastime), so they were hardly an incorruptible power for good, and everyone knew everyone's business, with a dash of a code of silence thrown in.

There's a memorial for George Duncan (the gay man who's partner was rescued by Einem) at the site of his murder, which I used to walk past semi-regularly:

quote:

"In memory of Dr George Duncan, whose death by drowning on 10th May, 1972, near here, at the hands of persons unconvicted, precipitated homosexual law reform in South Australia, making it the first state in Australia in 1975 to decriminalise homosexual relations."

What's super weird about the Family Murders is that the only dude who was caught, Bevan Spencer von Einem, was convicted on the testimony of a guy police were calling "Mr B" to conceal his identity. Mr B explicitly said in his testimony that Einem was responsible for two other nationally famous unsolved murder cases: the disappearance of the Beaumont Children and the disappearance of two girls from Adelaide oval. Police never found enough evidence to suspect him of either for very long but Mr B's testimony was reliable enough to convict him of Richard Kelvin's murder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont_children_disappearance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Joanne_Ratcliffe_and_Kirste_Gordon

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

It's not odds or probability. Nobody is rolling a die to see who was the murderer. It's the historical prevalence, and doesn't have predictive power for any specific case.

That reminds me of the comic, SMBC I think, where a serial killer has two people tied up and one says to the other "don't worry, the statistics of being murdered by a serial killer are one in a million".

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
One of my favorite crime cases is easily the The Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer. Dude committed a total of 50+ rapes and 12+ murders between the years of 1978-1986. It's believed among some that he started out as just a serial burglar in Visalia, CA before escalating to burglary/rape and then burglary/rape/murder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visalia_Ransacker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_Night_Stalker

He always struck middle class homes, mostly single story, with neighborhoods close to creeks and drainage ditches for easy access in and out of the area. Sometimes he would getaway with a bike, sometimes a car, sometimes both.

Nearly every single action this dude took was to scare and horrify his victims as much as possible. He would wake the couple, order them to tie each other up at gunpoint, drag the woman into the living room, rape her, rob them and split. A lot of times he would put plates on the tied husbands back and tell him that if he hears them fall, they're both dead. He even going as far as calling the victims several times for months or even years after the attack. His voice was recorded I believe after one victim went to the police to report these calls and put a recorder on her phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdElYnd-xMo

If you're interested in reading more about this case, Quester Files has amazing breakdowns on every crime he committed. From witness statements, pictures of what he wore and how he looked in each crime, pictures of the area to tell how he got in and out, etc. Pretty much everything. http://www.thequesterfiles.com/html/the_east_area_rapist__aka_the_.html

Imagine being sound asleep with your wife, waking up to faint tapping sounds near the door to your bedroom and seeing this staring right at you.

He's a more brutal version of the boogey man.

Chromatic has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Dec 27, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They're still looking for him, but it's been so long since he was active-I wonder how many people with these massive manhunts just died incidentally one day and that's why they stopped and can't be found. The commonly accepted theory about DB Cooper, iirc, is that he most likely died after jumping out of the plane.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WickedHate posted:

They're still looking for him, but it's been so long since he was active-I wonder how many people with these massive manhunts just died incidentally one day and that's why they stopped and can't be found. The commonly accepted theory about DB Cooper, iirc, is that he most likely died after jumping out of the plane.

Specifically with him it ties in to the fact that original theory about his landing zone was probably wrong. It's very likely that he landed right in the river and got carried under.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, back in June the FBI announced they were joining the investigation and reopened the case. So far they've got nothing though.

It's a topic of debate why he stopped his rapes/murders for 5 years and then did one final one. It was originally believed among LE and profilers that serial rapists/killers don't stop until someone/something stops them but Dennis Rader quitting cold turkey kind of nixed that idea. They do have his DNA on file though and every person sentenced to jail/prison in California has his DNA collected and run through the system against other crimes so that may prove useful one day. Hell, it may be a reason why he stopped.

Personally, It wouldn't surprise me if he died in a bungled home invasion or something. He was unbelievably ballsy with the poo poo he tried and it was going to bite him eventually. That, and LE organizations didn't really communicate with each other that much back then, so if he was killed somewhere down south or elsewhere the LE searching for him up north would have been none the wiser.

Chromatic has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Dec 27, 2016

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
The horrible case of Clive Wearing. A British man who has the worst kind of amnesia known in history, after the herpes virus somehow crossed the blood-brain barrier in 1985 after a bout of flu, destroying his hippocampus. His memory is, at best, 30 seconds long and at worst 7 seconds. He forgets what one is talking about mid-sentence. And yet he CAN remember, in a sense. For example, ask him where the kitchen is or ask him to show you where the kitchen is and he is hopelessly lost. But ask him to make some coffee or tea and he'll go into the kitchen and rummage around the correct drawers and cabinets. Have him watch a movie enough times and, although to him he won't remember a thing or ever remember knowing of the movie, can predict certain actions before they happen. As the years have gone by he has become less depressed and his conversations are less repetitive. His journal entries are especially frightening:

quote:

In a diary provided by his caretakers, Wearing was encouraged to record his thoughts. Page after page is filled with entries similar to the following:

8:31 AM: Now I am really, completely awake.
9:06 AM: Now I am perfectly, overwhelmingly awake.
9:34 AM: Now I am superlatively, actually awake.

Earlier entries are usually crossed out, since he forgets having made an entry within minutes and dismisses the writings–he does not know how the entries were made or by whom, although he does recognise his own writing.[4] Wishing to record "waking up for the first time", he still wrote diary entries in 2007, more than two decades after he started them.

Every time he sees his wife, Deborah, it's as if it's the first time in years. Even if she just left the room to go to the bathroom or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmzU47i2xgw

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Yeah, back in June the FBI announced they were joining the investigation and reopened the case. So far they've got nothing though.

It's a topic of debate why he stopped his rapes/murders for 5 years and then did one final one. It was originally believed among LE and profilers that serial rapists/killers don't stop until someone/something stops them but Dennis Rader quitting cold turkey kind of nixed that idea. They do have his DNA on file though and every person sentenced to jail/prison in California has his DNA collected and run through the system against other crimes so that may prove useful one day. Hell, it may be a reason why he stopped.

Personally, It wouldn't surprise me if he died in a bungled home invasion or something. He was unbelievably ballsy with the poo poo he tried and it was going to bite him eventually. That, and LE organizations didn't really communicate with each other that much back then, so if he was killed somewhere down south or elsewhere the LE searching for him up north would have been none the wiser.

One of the victims got a call from him in 91
"In 1991, a previous victim received a phone call from the perpetrator and spoke with him for one minute. She stated that she could hear a woman and children in the background, leading to suspicion that he had started a family"
So there is that..

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bean_shadow posted:

The horrible case of Clive Wearing. A British man who has the worst kind of amnesia known in history, after the herpes virus somehow crossed the blood-brain barrier in 1985 after a bout of flu, destroying his hippocampus. His memory is, at best, 30 seconds long and at worst 7 seconds. He forgets what one is talking about mid-sentence. And yet he CAN remember, in a sense. For example, ask him where the kitchen is or ask him to show you where the kitchen is and he is hopelessly lost. But ask him to make some coffee or tea and he'll go into the kitchen and rummage around the correct drawers and cabinets. Have him watch a movie enough times and, although to him he won't remember a thing or ever remember knowing of the movie, can predict certain actions before they happen. As the years have gone by he has become less depressed and his conversations are less repetitive. His journal entries are especially frightening:

Every time he sees his wife, Deborah, it's as if it's the first time in years. Even if she just left the room to go to the bathroom or something.

Yeah, it's really disconcerting that memory is so fragile. Oliver Sacks wrote of a similar case in his book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat", in which a former sailor named Jimmie G. developed Korsakov's Syndrome, apparently due to alcohol abuse.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Autechresaint posted:

"In 1991, a previous victim received a phone call from the perpetrator and spoke with him for one minute. She stated that she could hear a woman and children in the background, leading to suspicion that he had started a family"
So there is that..
Well that's unnerving by itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just stumbled across a transcript of one of the tapes of the Toolbox Killers, the most horrifying, disturbing thing I've ever read. I thought "how bad could it be?" and clicked the link. Probably the stupidest thing I've done.

I'll link the Wikipedia article, which is disturbing enough.
:nms:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Bittaker_and_Roy_Norris

If you really want to read the transcript, Google "Toolbox killers". It will be the second link. I beg you don't for your own piece of mind.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Dec 27, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Autechresaint posted:

So there is that..

Yeah, but he would also play his own theme music and stuff during his phone calls so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a recording just to make things more confusing or creepy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but he would also play his own theme music and stuff during his phone calls so it wouldn't surprise me if it was a recording just to make things more confusing or creepy.

Even serial killers know the importance of branding.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

flosofl posted:

I just stumbled across a transcript of one of the tapes of the Toolbox Killers, the most horrifying, disturbing thing I've ever read. I thought "how bad could it be?" and clicked the link. Probably the stupidest thing I've done.

If you really want to read the transcript, Google "Toolbox killers". It will be the second link. I beg you don't for your own piece of mind.

Why did you spoiler link a Wikipedia page?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I had the original link to the transcript in there, and then chickened out including it and subbed the Wikipedia link. I forgot to remove the spoiler tag, and then didn't bother after posting it.

Fixed.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

flosofl posted:

I read in one of the FBI Profiler books by John Douglas (can't remember which one) that in preparation for his role as the FBI supervisor, Douglas let Scott Glenn listen to this tape and he broke down crying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

I read in one of the FBI Profiler books by John Douglas (can't remember which one) that in preparation for his role as the FBI supervisor, Douglas let Scott Glenn listen to this tape and he broke down crying.

I can't even imagine. Just reading the transcript is going to haunt me for some time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

He had theme music!?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On serial killer tag teams, these pieces of poo poo.

John Douglas, a man who has spoken to a bunch of serial killers, called Bittaker the most loathsome individual he's ever spoken to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WickedHate posted:

He had theme music!?

"When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside..."

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Autechresaint posted:

So there is that..

Was that ever confirmed though? The only places I see claims about the post-1986 phone calls are from message boards that are thrown around without sources. I've seen claims that victims received phone calls on every year as late as 2007.

Not saying you're wrong, it's just unverified facts like that sometimes can get thrown around all the time and pick up steam without sources and the like.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

flosofl posted:

Forget the transcript, there was a clip somewhere (I recommend NOT looking for it) where someone just had to leave, the doors of the court opened mid tape and you could hear a small bit of it, absolutely haunting

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

whiteyfats posted:

On serial killer tag teams, these pieces of poo poo.

John Douglas, a man who has spoken to a bunch of serial killers, called Bittaker the most loathsome individual he's ever spoken to.

This is literally the duo already being discussed :bravo:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

This is literally the duo already being discussed :bravo:

I thought it was Ng and Lake for some reason.

I will hide in shame. :smithicide:

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I've heard a couple seconds of the Toolbox Killers' tape and it certainly made an impression on me. Most of us aren't likely to ever hear a person scream like that in the regular course of our lives. The guy quoted in the Wikipedia article was certainly right about it not being like movie screaming.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WickedHate posted:

He had theme music!?

Here ya go! Along with the creepy as poo poo likeness of him that always makes my fists twitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdElYnd-xMo

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

djssniper posted:

Forget the transcript, there was a clip somewhere (I recommend NOT looking for it) where someone just had to leave, the doors of the court opened mid tape and you could hear a small bit of it, absolutely haunting
It was really bad, people were running out of the courtroom and throwing up in the hallway. There's plenty of video on YouTube, Bittaker's confession is really creepy in that he's completely calm and remorseless while describing what he did.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bean_shadow posted:

And yet despite this he has lost none of his musical talent or skills. Singing, reading music, playing piano, conducting...all still there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymEn_YxZqZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

I thought it was Ng and Lake for some reason.

I will hide in shame. :smithicide:

It's ok dude :love: At least you're posting content!