Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My friend is running an i7-920 and a rx480. The only games we play that he gets judder in are elite and warthunder. Been playing a lot of serious sam recently, which has hilarious recommended specs (6 core i7, fury or 1070), runs on his box smooth as butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've used a 970, 1060 and 1070 all to great effect, I don't think there is much of a difference with the current generation of games besides specifics like Elite: Dangerous - still very playable but smoother with a 10-series card.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JohnnySmitch posted:

I've been upgrading my pc with the idea of eventually biting the bullet and getting a Vive. I've put together a core i7-6700 machine with 16gigs of ram and a nice beefy SSD, and now I'm eyeing what video card I should be working towards. Will a gtx 1060 or maybe 1070 cut it for me? If I blow my bankroll too hard on a card, it's gonna be quite awhile until I can get the VR setup to use with it...

Either of those should work. I have a 1070 and love it, aside from VR stuff it runs everything else like a beast.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, either will easily handle it. 1070 would mean you could do more supersampling and stuff is all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Do we know when the Oculus winter sale is ending? I want to know how long to wait to see if SPT or The Climb have daily deals.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure The Climb was already a daily

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

If anyone with a Vive or Oculus Touch cares to try out a new build, we're probably going to launch this over the next 48 hours on Steam. It's an update to Skeet: VR Target Shooting. The update includes

-Oculus Touch support
-New UI
-3 new game modes, and a modified quickdraw for front-facing HMDs.
-A new gun
-Global and Friend leaderboards for each gun/mode combination
-Teleporting so users who have unique setups can still play

We pushed out this build btw, so anyone with a Rift Touch or Vive can play it on Steam, free. We'll be on the Oculus Store sometime early January. Enjoy!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Thanks guys! I'll probably go with the 6gb 1060 in the interest of not overdoing it

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Still in early access, though...

That's not how an oculus developer would talk.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My parents are awesome and got me a Rift for Christmas.

What's the availability like for the Touch right now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's currently no shipping thread on the Oculus subreddit and the Oculus site says usually ships in two business days. So it might be available right now. Amazon says out of stock but Best Buy says available.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Touch and go. Out of stock on Amazon one day, no issue the next. You can buy them direct from Oculus too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've always wanted to get a Vive, and the combination of it going on sale for $100 until Wednesday, and my getting $500 this Christmas, has got me seriously thinking about making that jump. I have a 1080 GTX, so I'm set as far as PC hardware. I still have concerns, though. I've only tried modern VR once; it was a demo of the Vive at a Microsoft store, and I played the Brookhaven Experiment. I came away surprised at the resolution; it looked more pixelated that I was expecting. Is this a normal experience? And I've just heard about supersampling with the Vive, how much can that help? Was the resolution I experienced due to a limit in the software (because of PC hardware concerns), or because of the headset hardware? And is this something that is really noticeable, or does the VR effect make up for it?

I'm also curious what people think the next year will look like for VR, if we're expecting upgrades to the Rift or Vive, and what it might bring.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The resolution is a bit low. Unless there was something weird going on, the resolution you saw is the resolution you get. Super sampling can help a bit. The image is rendered at a higher resolution and shrunk down so it looks a bit sharper. It's noticeable but not super drastic. If you are super interested in getting VR, go ahead and get a Vive. If you're waffling right now and you're on the fence about the cost, don't get anything. Wait for something better. If there is going to be anything coming out next year, we'll probably hear about it in the first few months of 2017. I'm expecting more 2018 for a new version of the Vive or Rift.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hardware question: As a (very) long-term project, I'm planning on upgrading my computer eventually. I already know my video card won't be enough for VR, but what about my processor? I have an Intel Core i5-2500K, currently running at 3.30GHz, but I can overclock it up to 3.70 I think. That seems lower than the numbers people here are usually throwing around; I'm not going to need a new processor too if I want to mess with VR stuff, am I? That'd really suck; I mean, this isn't something I'd be doing any time soon anyway, but one more part to replace is another few hundred dollars.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've been trying to play Unspoken for three days solid and have never gotten into a game. Average queue time of 30 seconds becomes 5 minutes just stood there. And people complained about Onward?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Roland Jones posted:

Hardware question: As a (very) long-term project, I'm planning on upgrading my computer eventually. I already know my video card won't be enough for VR, but what about my processor? I have an Intel Core i5-2500K, currently running at 3.30GHz, but I can overclock it up to 3.70 I think. That seems lower than the numbers people here are usually throwing around; I'm not going to need a new processor too if I want to mess with VR stuff, am I? That'd really suck; I mean, this isn't something I'd be doing any time soon anyway, but one more part to replace is another few hundred dollars.
This is only slightly slower than what i have and i run vr mostly fine partly thanks to oculus sdk filling in missing frames.

But by time you actually get your stuff it'll just be that much older, who knows what killer game comes out in the next year, just wait for gen 2. I love vr but it's not worth buying a new computer for yet, it's still pretty raw in terms of content unless you have a lot of disposable income or already have a sweet computer.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 26, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've been trying to play Unspoken for three days solid and have never gotten into a game. Average queue time of 30 seconds becomes 5 minutes just stood there. And people complained about Onward?
There is something going on with their matchmaking for sure. I've had to cancel out and retry multiple times. I suspect their matchmaking server crashes under load and had to be restarted, it happened a few times on / near launch but fixed itself after 5 mins because devs were in the office.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Roland Jones posted:

Your big limit is going to be USB3 support. That era had first gen USB3 and no Sandy bridge chipset that I know of has Oculus supported USB3. I'm running a 2500k and I had to buy a PCIE USB3 card to get reliable tracking. I'm going to upgrade my system just to get a more officially supported environment.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Revol posted:

I'm also curious what people think the next year will look like for VR, if we're expecting upgrades to the Rift or Vive, and what it might bring.

I expect we'll get the new Vive controller sometime this year, an optional upgrade that gives it Touch-like hand tracking. We'll also see the official release of the TPCAST wireless kit for the Vive, though someone (possibly the ReVive guy) will probably get it working for the Rift.

I also give an outside chance at a sort of "Vive Slim" in the later half of the year, a new kit with the improved lighthouses and integrated tracking chips, bundled with the new controllers. It would have the same resolution as the existing Vive, and be fully cross-compatible in games, but be cheaper and significantly lighter.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Stormangel posted:

Your big limit is going to be USB3 support. That era had first gen USB3 and no Sandy bridge chipset that I know of has Oculus supported USB3. I'm running a 2500k and I had to buy a PCIE USB3 card to get reliable tracking. I'm going to upgrade my system just to get a more officially supported environment.

FWIW, I have an i5-2500 and haven't had much difficulty with my Rift so far. The only issue I had was with one of the rear USB3 ports not recognizing the camera during initial setup, but swapping ports with the headset fixed the problem, and it hasn't recurred since then. If I wind up getting Touch before upgrading my PC (likely, since I've got my eyes on AMD's new chip), though, I'll probably have to get one of those PCIE cards.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is the OP gonna be updated any time soon? trying to decide if I should sell my Rift and get a Vive or just buy the touch controllers and call it a day, and there's just too much information and shilling on the internets. I saw some footage of Onward and decided I need in on that stat

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

mellowjournalism posted:

Is the OP gonna be updated any time soon? trying to decide if I should sell my Rift and get a Vive or just buy the touch controllers and call it a day, and there's just too much information and shilling on the internets. I saw some footage of Onward and decided I need in on that stat

Just get the touch controllers. Both are pretty comparable now that touch is out. The touch is a better controller than the vive wands but you may have more problems with roomscale since the rift cable is pretty short and I'm quite sure you need a third camera for comparable coverage as the vive but if all you care about is 360 coverage then oculus is more than enough.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Onward is a whole bunch of fun. Tough, but fun.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

JoeMB posted:

Just get the touch controllers. Both are pretty comparable now that touch is out. The touch is a better controller than the vive wands but you may have more problems with roomscale since the rift cable is pretty short and I'm quite sure you need a third camera for comparable coverage as the vive but if all you care about is 360 coverage then oculus is more than enough.

Honestly Onward is the main title luring me away from the simple comforts of PSVR so I want whatever plays that the best. So my next question is, how much does the 3rd camera help with Onward? $80 on top of $200 has me waffling again

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mellowjournalism posted:

Honestly Onward is the main title luring me away from the simple comforts of PSVR so I want whatever plays that the best. So my next question is, how much does the 3rd camera help with Onward? $80 on top of $200 has me waffling again

Vive plays it best, but if you already have the Rift grab Touch, since Vive advantages over Rift+Touch are minimal for roomscale games.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I got some christmas cash and was considering buying the rift+touch controllers so i could have that and the vive. Im looking at all the reviews of the touch and it looks like theres only 3 exclusive games that get good reviews:
superhot
dead and buried
the unspoken

am i missing any? seems like the rest i can just play on my vive

edit: I forgot the climb, but its expensive and i dont really have much desire to pay a lot of money for it when im not sure if i really want to play it over and over

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 27, 2016

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
What are the advantages at this point? It's kinda hard to keep up with all the updates, last time I tried Vive it was very nice but had a pretty narrow sweet spot and it was tougher reading text. has that changed?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

mellowjournalism posted:

Onward with Touch and a 3rd sensor for large roomscale works fine. You can probably get away with just using the 2 sensors (an extra one comes with Touch) set up diagonal from each other, but there are some weird bugs that Oculus is aware of and working on that affects some people in that configuration.

mellowjournalism posted:

What are the advantages at this point? It's kinda hard to keep up with all the updates, last time I tried Vive it was very nice but had a pretty narrow sweet spot and it was tougher reading text. has that changed?
It hasn't, no. The sweet spot is considerably better on the Rift, everything is pretty much clear edge to edge with the optics they use, the downside, as you know, being the godray beams.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 27, 2016

Context
Sep 11, 2006

coolskillrex remix posted:

I got some christmas cash and was considering buying the rift+touch controllers so i could have that and the vive. Im looking at all the reviews of the touch and it looks like theres only 3 exclusive games that get good reviews:
superhot
dead and buried
the unspoken

am i missing any? seems like the rest i can just play on my vive

I don't know about reviews, but VR Sports Challenge is way better than I thought it'd be. I understand if you're not into sports (specifically American sports) games, though. Regardless, I've gotta imagine that it makes more sense to use Revive for those 3 or so games.

Medium is really good too.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Context posted:

I don't know about reviews, but VR Sports Challenge is way better than I thought it'd be. I understand if you're not into sports (specifically American sports) games, though. Regardless, I've gotta imagine that it makes more sense to use Revive for those 3 or so games.

Medium is really good too.

Theres actual replayability to it or no?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Just to be clear on my terms, Onward is not "roomscale" because you input locomotion through the controllers, right? I like roomscale enough but I feel like there aren't enough killer titles for me to need it, so if Onward is just 360 then I guess I'll just order Touch and call it a day.

Poetic Justice posted:

The sweet spot is considerably better on the Rift, everything is pretty much clear edge to edge with the optics they use, the downside, as you know, being the godray beams.

Thanks for the info. I can stand godrays way more than blurry poo poo so visually the rift is good enough for me, especially since all 3 systems technically look "like poo poo" to me anyway :v:

so impatient for gen 2 optics already.

JoeMB posted:

The touch is a better controller than the vive wands

I'm also pretty curious how this shook out because i thought the vive has a brilliant and super accurate tracking system ?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

I'm also pretty curious how this shook out because i thought the vive has a brilliant and super accurate tracking system ?

It is. If you get the calipers out and measure, I'm sure you'd find that the Vive tracking is more accurate, but you probably wont notice much either way unless you're 10+ feet from the Rift camera. But I think they meant that the Touch controllers are found by many to be more comfortable and have hand tracking features the Vive wands don't, which is true.

From what I've seen, most people find the Vive wands more natural for representing things like guns or swords, whereas the Touch works better when representing your actual hand.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

mellowjournalism posted:

Just to be clear on my terms, Onward is not "roomscale" because you input locomotion through the controllers, right? I like roomscale enough but I feel like there aren't enough killer titles for me to need it, so if Onward is just 360 then I guess I'll just order Touch and call it a day.

Thanks for the info. I can stand godrays way more than blurry poo poo so visually the rift is good enough for me, especially since all 3 systems technically look "like poo poo" to me anyway :v:

so impatient for gen 2 optics already.

I think hes saying the touch are better controllers ergonomically and they are.

The problem is in games like space pirate trainer the vive tracking system can track your headset/controllers so well that you can really do some cool stuff, and i dont think the rift has the same level of "body" tracking (space pirate i literally have kneeled down then bent over backwards, not sure if the rift would accurately track that)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

I mean.. you can move within your space, but maps are big. I played it fine with the "360" set up, but it was definitely nice to have more space to move once I got the third sensor and had "roomscale". Still moving around the map with the controller.

I think I'm confused at what 'roomscale' even mean at this point?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

AndrewP posted:

I mean.. you can move within your space, but maps are big. I played it fine with the "360" set up, but it was definitely nice to have more space to move once I got the third sensor and had "roomscale". Still moving around the map with the controller.

I think I'm confused at what 'roomscale' even mean at this point?

All oculus touch videos ive seen show people standing in like a 2 foot by 2 foot space. Theres no encouragement to move your body, they also REALLY dont want people turning around 180 degrees because it loses all tracking on the hands.

Roomscale means you get actual roomscale experiences. Like i dont know how job simulator will work on the oculus when it requires you to turn around in 360 degrees constantly.

Yes you can get a third $80 camera and drape a 30 foot USB 3.0 cord around the room but it means developers cant assume everyone has that

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzlvrfDBKDI

So much more cramped than the vive version. In the vive version they specifically scale each level to the size of your room (10x10' playspace has a lot more room to move around than a 5x5'), but the oculus touch will ALWAYS make it the most cramped version.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 27, 2016

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The problem is in games like space pirate trainer the vive tracking system can track your headset/controllers so well that you can really do some cool stuff, and i dont think the rift has the same level of "body" tracking (space pirate i literally have kneeled down then bent over backwards, not sure if the rift would accurately track that)

Yeah, it would track that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
On both systems, the god rays are only noticeable if you have a black screen with a bright shape on screen. In a normal scene, you won't really notice it much.

Theres actual replayability to it or no?

The game requires replaying. You play a game of one of the sports and if you beat the previous score, it unlocks a new feature. Then you have to beat the next set of objectives. Since it's free, you could just play through each kind of game a couple times and call it a day but there's definitely more to the game than what you have available when you first load it up.

mellowjournalism posted:

Both tracking systems are good and accurate. They use IMUs with high update rates for the primary tracking and use their respective tracking solutions to do sanity checks on the IMUs. Neither the oculus camera or the valve lighthouse trackers are able to do much on their own. The cameras are limited in their framerate and the lighthouse is limited to how often it does sweeps. So while you may get millimeter accurate location tracking of the controller, you won't get that for another fraction of a second. By itself, you won't get very fast tracking. Same thing for the cameras. The downside for the cameras is the size of tracking area. The downside for lighthouses is you have to cover every reflective surface in the room or you risk loss of tracking.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I recall a job sim dev quote explicitly saying they're redesigning for 180 degrees for rift and psvr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Like i dont know how job simulator will work on the oculus when it requires you to turn around in 360 degrees constantly.

It doesn't. The layout of the workspaces in the Oculus version doesn't put anything behind you. It might be the same as the smallest layout in the Vive version I think? Probably the same as the PSVR version anyway.