Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

coolskillrex remix posted:

All oculus touch videos ive seen show people standing in like a 2 foot by 2 foot space. Theres no encouragement to move your body, they also REALLY dont want people turning around 180 degrees because it loses all tracking on the hands.

Roomscale means you get actual roomscale experiences. Like i dont know how job simulator will work on the oculus when it requires you to turn around in 360 degrees constantly.

Yes you can get a third $80 camera and drape a 30 foot USB 3.0 cord around the room but it means developers cant assume everyone has that

The official way to set up touch is to just have the two cameras in front of you and just do 180 degree tracking. You have the option of having the cameras opposite each other or you can have up to 4 (3 is recommended) to do full room scale. That's expensive but it offers room scale with less chances for occlusion than with lighthouse which only supports 2 base stations at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cojawfee posted:

On both systems, the god rays are only noticeable if you have a black screen with a bright shape on screen. In a normal scene, you won't really notice it much.

The game requires replaying. You play a game of one of the sports and if you beat the previous score, it unlocks a new feature. Then you have to beat the next set of objectives. Since it's free, you could just play through each kind of game a couple times and call it a day but there's definitely more to the game than what you have available when you first load it up.

Both tracking systems are good and accurate. They use IMUs with high update rates for the primary tracking and use their respective tracking solutions to do sanity checks on the IMUs. Neither the oculus camera or the valve lighthouse trackers are able to do much on their own. The cameras are limited in their framerate and the lighthouse is limited to how often it does sweeps. So while you may get millimeter accurate location tracking of the controller, you won't get that for another fraction of a second. By itself, you won't get very fast tracking. Same thing for the cameras. The downside for the cameras is the size of tracking area. The downside for lighthouses is you have to cover every reflective surface in the room or you risk loss of tracking.

What qualifies as "reflective"? I had mine setup in my living room with my entirely glass front 60" plasma tv that was glare city in daylight. I never had any problems with that.

I also have had it setup in the lobby at my work and two wals were entirely tinted windows

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

mellowjournalism posted:

Just to be clear on my terms, Onward is not "roomscale" because you input locomotion through the controllers, right? I like roomscale enough but I feel like there aren't enough killer titles for me to need it, so if Onward is just 360 then I guess I'll just order Touch and call it a day.

I couldnt imagine Onward without being able to go prone or play dead and have enough space to walk around cover.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

What qualifies as "reflective"? I had mine setup in my living room with my entirely glass front 60" plasma tv that was glare city in daylight. I never had any problems with that.

I also have had it setup in the lobby at my work and two wals were entirely tinted windows

I don't really know. A TV might not cause issues because the screen has a polarizing filter on it. The same might be with the tinted windows. I've had some tracking issues but never really investigated what was causing them as my vive was eaten by a dog and I haven't gotten around to getting everything back to normal. Some people have mentioned that covering picture frames have solved tracking issues for them.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Tip posted:

Yeah, it would track that.

Would it also track going prone like in onward? Thats what i meant by i leaned backward, i was almost entirely prone (on my back)

I would be interested in seeing lemming's thoughts on space pirate trainer, i mean he walks all around his 15x15' garage while playing it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYxGa05MmlI&t=330s

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I couldnt imagine Onward without being able to go prone or play dead and have enough space to walk around cover.

Hah, I have never come across anyone playing dead yet in Onward, that's hilarious.

Anyway, Oculus can do Onward fine. You can get on the floor, do whatever you want - it's just a matter of aiming the sensors correctly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Every VR game is roomscale unless the game specifically prevents you from physically moving and I can't think of many games that do this. Even an Oculus exclusive like Superhot VR benefits from the additional space you get from a room-scale setup despite not really being designed for it.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Does anyone in this thread have the touch AND the vive? I am tempted to buy the touch just to compare experiences.

Im reading stuff like this http://www.roadtovr.com/arizona-sunshine-review/

"In frantic moments of zombie slaughter, especially if your play space is close to the minimum, it’s easy to get a little turned around and have a Touch controller leave the play area, and this circle makes aiming a shot impossible as you can’t see through it. In the end I felt the only workable way to play the game was to embrace the Oculus ‘face front’ method. Every instinct wants you to turn, even if just to pick off that one errant zombie coming at you from behind, but you need to keep those feet planted and use the teleportation controls. I can’t help but feel that Vive owners are going to have the better experience here."

Kind of sucks that i would have to buy an $80 camera and a usb extension cord just to not play games with the "face front" at all times method of playstyle. I have a feeling the touch controllers are a lot better, and im sure the rift headset ergonomics are better, but seems like the tracking is really compromised.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
Honestly not a fan of games on Oculus store having to support 180 degree front facing setup, it's kind of limiting. For example nothing spawns behind you in superhot VR, where as if it was designed for the vive they would of made enemies come from all angles.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Obviously the sensors aren't going to pick up the controllers through your body. The solution is to put a sensor behind you. This is not a difficult task.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Does anyone in this thread have the touch AND the vive? I am tempted to buy the touch just to compare experiences.

"In frantic moments of zombie slaughter, especially if your play space is close to the minimum, it’s easy to get a little turned around and have a Touch controller leave the play area, and this circle makes aiming a shot impossible as you can’t see through it. In the end I felt the only workable way to play the game was to embrace the Oculus ‘face front’ method. Every instinct wants you to turn, even if just to pick off that one errant zombie coming at you from behind, but you need to keep those feet planted and use the teleportation controls. I can’t help but feel that Vive owners are going to have the better experience here."

Kind of sucks that i would have to buy an $80 camera and a usb extension cord just to not play games with the "face front" at all times method of playstyle. I have a feeling the touch controllers are a lot better, and im sure the rift headset ergonomics are better, but seems like the tracking is really compromised.

You can have the cameras set up opposite each other like the Vive.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

To be fair you could just put the 2 cameras in opposite ends of your playspace and that will give you 360 setup. I think difference from 360 and roomscale setup is that one allows you to turn 360 around but not really move from one spot and the other allows you move about in the space. Very few games even require roomscale since they usually have a artificial locomotion mechanic which means you can just stand in one spot.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

AndrewP posted:

I mean.. you can move within your space, but maps are big. I played it fine with the "360" set up, but it was definitely nice to have more space to move once I got the third sensor and had "roomscale". Still moving around the map with the controller.

I think I'm confused at what 'roomscale' even mean at this point?

Wait so does Onward have a specific "360" mode and a "roomscale" mode? Or does it just merely track better when you add a 3rd camera?

edit: how does adding cameras to Oculus work? is there a max?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

AndrewP posted:

Hah, I have never come across anyone playing dead yet in Onward, that's hilarious.

Anyway, Oculus can do Onward fine. You can get on the floor, do whatever you want - it's just a matter of aiming the sensors correctly.

Oooook wow, alright, I'm glad I asked now, because I definitely would pony up for the ability to physically lay down myself and just do what I want rather than have to worry about figuring out "the right controller input" to get my virtual self to do it. Just how much of a difference is there?

Cojawfee posted:

Both tracking systems are good and accurate. They use IMUs with high update rates for the primary tracking and use their respective tracking solutions to do sanity checks on the IMUs. Neither the oculus camera or the valve lighthouse trackers are able to do much on their own. The cameras are limited in their framerate and the lighthouse is limited to how often it does sweeps. So while you may get millimeter accurate location tracking of the controller, you won't get that for another fraction of a second. By itself, you won't get very fast tracking. Same thing for the cameras. The downside for the cameras is the size of tracking area. The downside for lighthouses is you have to cover every reflective surface in the room or you risk loss of tracking.

Ah nice thanks for the explanation. I think the lighthouse concept is super cool but it sounds like way more trouble (reflective surfaces, setup, the whirring, actual moving parts) for pretty small return since the IMU's do all the work? I guess it still does have the best headtracking?

Cojawfee posted:

my vive was eaten by a dog

l m a o

I would like to know the odds that this dog was 100% aware of what he did to the object of his jealousy

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 27, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Would it also track going prone like in onward? Thats what i meant by i leaned backward, i was almost entirely prone (on my back)

I would be interested in seeing lemming's thoughts on space pirate trainer, i mean he walks all around his 15x15' garage while playing it..

I think the Vive has an easier setup and better tracking for an area that large. I haven't tried to replicate it now that I have my Rift (moving the couches that much really takes over the living room and wasn't that useful) but the tracking gets noticeably swimmier when you're at one side of the room without a third camera, probably around 12 feet or so (very rough, I don't have a super good sense of distance).

That said, for the area I have now, the Rift setup was easy and works well. I can't go all the way to the floor in some spots because I didn't mount my sensors on the ceiling. For a similar setup, the Rift will work just as well, but the Vive is capable of taking a bigger area. The vast majority of people aren't going to have enough space to take advantage of that, though.

Fwiw I shelved my Vive more or less permanently because the ergonomics on the Rift are so much nicer, despite the tracking stuff. There are other issues/differences but that was most important for me, I just hate putting it on and taking it off so much less that it means I use it a lot more.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Is 4 cameras liable to be overkill? It seems as though with 3 there'd still be some noticeable dead zones.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Trip report on these stands: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFG14ZT/

Worked great. Even placed on a kind of loose rug they didn't move enough to noticeably affect anything. If you're looking to take your Vive on the road these are a great option.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

wolrah posted:

Trip report on these stands: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFG14ZT/

Worked great. Even placed on a kind of loose rug they didn't move enough to noticeably affect anything. If you're looking to take your Vive on the road these are a great option.

Pretty sure you can buy this stuff separately for cheaper.. one thing i dont like is that those stands (i have similar ones) wobble noticeably when at 7 foot or above. The lighthouse is pretty beefy and the motor vibrates it. Does it affect the tracking at all?? Im pretty sure no, but i cant help but feel like theres stronger stands, i just havent figured out how to get cheap ones

edit: its $26+$10 if bought separately
https://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio...56718e8d8c882d0

https://www.amazon.com/MDW-Tripod-H...f784e89dd32cf64

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

AndrewP posted:

Obviously the sensors aren't going to pick up the controllers through your body. The solution is to put a sensor behind you. This is not a difficult task.

Why even offer a 3rd camera option then? and why even have ANY two-camera-in-front setup ability?

If the cameras should be placed in the corner of the squares of your play area then that should be the only way to set it up, so developers arent crippling room scale experiences to only "face towards your monitor experiences"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I set up roomscale rift with just 2 cameras in the corners with a 1.5m/2m play area and I was able to play all the "roomscale" games on VR, the touch controllers drifted in one corner of the square if I was angled so my body was blocking the closer camera, but the games were still completely playable as you don't really spend much time on the edges with any of the games I played - they were mostly "standing" games.

Once I got a third camera that went away completely. Unless you have a play area larger than 2 meters, go with the rift and buy the games on steam if you can because the touch controllers are superior the rift is more comfortable and games are more fun spinning around in 360.

As for getting the touch controllers themselves, if you already own a rift it's a no brainer simply to play all the free / cheap games on steam. There are a ton of them, more than a dozen hours of content - surgeon simulator, waltz of the wizard, accounting, the lab, portal stories, google earth, climbey are all real fun and even the second tier stuff like museum of art and vermintide is worth playing once.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 27, 2016

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Bhodi posted:

I set up roomscale rift with just 2 cameras in the corners with a 1.5m/2m play area and I was able to play all the "roomscale" games on VR, the touch controllers drifted in one corner of the square if I was angled so my body was blocking the closer camera, but the games were still completely playable as you don't really spend much time on the edges with any of the games I played - they were mostly "standing" games.

Once I got a third camera that went away completely. Unless you have a play area larger than 2 meters, go with the rift and buy the games on steam if you can because the touch controllers are superior the rift is more comfortable and games are more fun spinning around in 360.

As for getting the touch controllers themselves, if you already own a rift it's a no brainer simply to play all the free / cheap games on steam. There are a ton of them, more than a dozen hours of content - surgeon simulator, waltz of the wizard, accounting, the lab, portal stories, google earth, climbey are all real fun and even the second tier stuff like museum of art and vermintide is worth playing once.

Honestly ill probably buy the rift just to be able to accurately compare it to the vive...

I see that arizona sunshine is on sale on the oculus store, but i should buy it on steam right? I should only buy oculus home exclusive games in oculus home correct?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Honestly ill probably buy the rift just to be able to accurately compare it to the vive...

I see that arizona sunshine is on sale on the oculus store, but i should buy it on steam right? I should only buy oculus home exclusive games in oculus home correct?

Do whatever you like. I like the Oculus home frontend better and Steam VR does some wiggy things to me sometimes like not properly releasing after I close a game, so I usually buy on Oculus home when available. The downside is, no refund if I buy a lemon. Also, if it's a multiplayer game you usually get a bigger playerbase on Steam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Why even offer a 3rd camera option then? and why even have ANY two-camera-in-front setup ability?

If the cameras should be placed in the corner of the squares of your play area then that should be the only way to set it up, so developers arent crippling room scale experiences to only "face towards your monitor experiences"

I think Oculus had a big plan to ease people into VR. They start with seated stuff with a controller, and maybe some standing stuff. Then they bring out touch which is just forward only at first and later on they would expand to roomscale. Then Valve and HTC said "nope, we're going full roomscale right off the bat." While roomscale is super cool, I don't think a lot of people were ready for full roomscale to be their first VR experience. If you look at when the Vive first came out and you see all the people who were injuring themselves, injuring other people, breaking TVs, windows, and denting walls. Some people's brains aren't ready for VR and using the chaperone. There were people not realizing that they are still in the real world and they full on sprint into walls or jump into a wall.

When Vive came out, Oculus was kind of stuff in their forward facing VR for whatever reason and they just offer the alternate config to appease people who want room scale. But like someone said earlier, every game is room scale. With a few exceptions, you can move wherever you want in VR games.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

People smashed things up with the Wii controllers too. Oculus didn't seem ready for the kind of competition that the Vive brought immediately, if not about a year ahead. The amount of space needed to play room scale is a huge limiting factor for most people though, and really balances the competition.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
In The Climb, what are you guys running for boy settings? I have a pretty high end i7 w/ GTX1080, but I get the "45 FPS" warning at maxed out settings w/ supersampling at 2.0. What is the sweet spot for visuals vs performance? I don't even know what some of the poo poo in the menu means.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'd probably knock down the supersampling there. I don't think the relatively minor visual improvement is worth it if you're sacrificing that much performance.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Does Tilt Brush work with Touch? The Steam store page still only has the Vive listed as a compatible device.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Does Tilt Brush work with Touch? The Steam store page still only has the Vive listed as a compatible device.

I think there is an issue with the joysticks. WIth the vive, you can move your thumb on the touchpad, lift it up, and it sticks with that value. With touch, you let go of the joystick and it recenters. That moves the value of whatever you were changing back to the middle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Unmaking of Palmer Luckey won hottest mess at Giant Bomb.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
The rift has a less-bright display but its hard to notice much difference, colour range should be the same.

Apparently you can use a third party vive face cusion from vrcover thats all of 6mm thick and that'll increase the apparent sweet spot and fov a little, dont kniw what its like though.

It seems the rift in paper has a slight edge in optics/comfort/digit presence but if youre looking to save a little cash or have a lot of room the vive does larger roomscale tracking for less.

With all this gen 1 vr stuff you're paying through the nose for a really cool experience with noticeable deficiencies that'll be fixed by this time next year.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I believe the Oculus definition of room-scale is 7 by 5 feet (2 by 1.5 meters). Using two cameras in the forward facing style, you can have the full 7x5 feet play area, but you lose tracking if you turn around.

Oculus has two experimental camera positions. First is the 2-sensor 360 degree setup. In this position, you place cameras on front and behind you. According to Oculus, this gives you a recommended area of 5x5 feet (1.5x1.5 meters). This is just short of the 7x5 feet recommendation. They say that you may be able to get a bigger area, but you risk tracking drop-outs on the extreme edges.

The other option is the 3-sensor 360 and room-scale setup. This has you place a camera in three of the corners of your room. Oculus says you can map up to an 8x8 foot (2.5x2.5 meter) area. This will provide you with 360 degree support for the entire recommended room size.

While SteamVR has multiple different room sizes, Oculus has three: Below Minimum, which is anything smaller than the 3x3 foot (1x1 meter) minimum, Moderate, which is anything from 3x3 feet to 7x5 feet, and Optimal, which meets or exceeds the 7x5 feet (2x1.5 meters). Most games support Moderate, but you can mark your game as needing Optimal (which SUPERHOT VR does). Unfortunately this doesn't seem to appear in the store. You'll just get a warning when you try launching your game.

Games can also be marked as supporting one of three player modes: Sitting, Standing (can be 3x3 to 7x5, it depends on the game), and Roomscale (roomscale requires the full 7x5 feet play area, and requires the 3 sensor setup).

There are also two tracking modes: Front-facing and 360 degree.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 27, 2016

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do whatever you like. I like the Oculus home frontend better and Steam VR does some wiggy things to me sometimes like not properly releasing after I close a game, so I usually buy on Oculus home when available. The downside is, no refund if I buy a lemon. Also, if it's a multiplayer game you usually get a bigger playerbase on Steam.

My main thing is i want to be able to play arizona sunshine on my vive too, so i think i have to buy it through steam vr

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My main thing is i want to be able to play arizona sunshine on my vive too, so i think i have to buy it through steam vr

WIthout getting into a Oculus Home/Steam debate, it is possible to use patches that allow Vive use in Oculus Home.

I'm suffering a bit of VR withdrawal. Summer has finally properly hit here and my study is at the front of the house where there is no air conditioning and a window that gets full sun in the afternoon. Even with the blinds closed it's an extremely sweaty and uncomfortable experience putting on a headset. :(

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nalin posted:

I believe the Oculus definition of room-scale is 7 by 5 feet (2 by 1.5 meters). Using two cameras in the forward facing style, you can have the full 7x5 feet play area, but you lose tracking if you turn around.

Oculus has two experimental camera positions. First is the 2-sensor 360 degree setup. In this position, you place cameras on front and behind you. According to Oculus, this gives you a recommended area of 5x5 feet (1.5x1.5 meters). This is just short of the 7x5 feet recommendation. They say that you may be able to get a bigger area, but you risk tracking drop-outs on the extreme edges.

The other option is the 3-sensor 360 and room-scale setup. This has you place a camera in three of the corners of your room. Oculus says you can map up to an 8x8 foot (2.5x2.5 meter) area. This will provide you with 360 degree support for the entire recommended room size.

While SteamVR has multiple different room sizes, Oculus has three: Below Minimum, which is anything smaller than the 3x3 foot (1x1 meter) minimum, Moderate, which is anything from 3x3 feet to 7x5 feet, and Optimal, which meets or exceeds the 7x5 feet (2x1.5 meters). Most games support Moderate, but you can mark your game as needing Optimal (which SUPERHOT VR does). Unfortunately this doesn't seem to appear in the store. You'll just get a warning when you try launching your game.

Games can also be marked as supporting one of three player modes: Sitting, Standing (can be 3x3 to 7x5, it depends on the game), and Roomscale (roomscale requires the full 7x5 feet play area, and requires the 3 sensor setup).

There are also two tracking modes: Front-facing and 360 degree.

For what its worth, I'm running two cameras on a diagonal for about a 6x6 area and not seeing any drop outs. I got a warning when doing sensor setup that I should move them closer together and recalibrate, but it let me ignore it and set up the guardian boundaries just fine. If I went much bigger I'd probably get the third camera, but I don't really have the space anyway. Basically, I'd advise at least trying out two cameras on a diagonal for any given space before shelling out $80 for another camera since it actually works pretty well if your space isn't huge (at least in my experience).

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 27, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

For what its worth, I'm running two cameras on a diagonal for about a 6x6 area and not seeing any drop outs. I got a warning when doing sensor setup that I should move them closer together and recalibrate, but it let me ignore it and set up the guardian boundaries just fine. If I went much bigger I'd probably get the third camera, but I don't really have the space anyway. Basically, I'd advise at least trying out two cameras on a diagonal for any given space before shelling out $80 for another camera since it actually works pretty well if your space isn't huge (at least in my experience).

What games have you tested with this configuration? Have you used anything designed for the Vive?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

However one problem from buying from oculus store is a lot of games don't support multiplayer with steam version, I think at least with Arizona sunshine you can do direct ip connect but the matchmaking will be limited to only oculus buyers.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SwissCM posted:

What games have you tested with this configuration? Have you used anything designed for the Vive?
Edge cases where the game in question is doing something that prevents it from working smoothly on the Rift/Touch aside (like the Tilt Brush thing mentioned earlier), everything that's designed for the Vive will work just fine on a Rift set up for roomscale. I'm using a 2-camera 360 setup with a ~7x5 play area, and even stuff like the Budget Cuts demo works just fine, and that hasn't been updated since it came out in April.

E: Regarding buying on Steam versus Oculus, I generally buy on Steam if the title is available in both places. I often launch whatever game I'm planning on playing before putting on the headset anyway, so the convenience of having everything in Home is a bit less impactful.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 27, 2016

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Spent a while playing and letting other people play roomscale stuff on the Oculus. Absolutely no problems so far. Works beautifully with SteamVR. Rec Room seems to be everyone's favorite experience so far. Being able to interact and talk with people in a open environment seems to be the way to go with the built in mic and hand movement.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SwissCM posted:

Job Simulator, Audioshield, Vanishing Realms, Space Pirate Trainer, The Lab, Unspoken, Ripcoil, Dead and Buried, Sportsbar VR, Trickster, New Retro Arcade, probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting. The only time I can remember really losing a controller was in Sportsbar, and it was taking a shot in pool where I was in the exact worst position and bending over obscured it from both cameras.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

mellowjournalism posted:

Ah nice thanks for the explanation. I think the lighthouse concept is super cool but it sounds like way more trouble (reflective surfaces, setup, the whirring, actual moving parts) for pretty small return since the IMU's do all the work? I guess it still does have the best headtracking?

I was leaning towards the Oculus initially too 8 months ago, but imo buying an Oculus is a huge mistake. The tracking is simply not as reliable and you will run into occlusion more often than any of the issues you mentioned regarding the Vive. I had my concerns about the Vive too, but after reading knifergrab's informative and humorous posts, I decided buying a Vive was the right decision. I ended up buying my vive 3 weeks ago, but I was lurking in the VR/stereoscopic threads for a couple of years.

Honestly the lighthouses personally gave me zero trouble. It took me about 15 minutes to mount using contractor polls and camera clamps. I was worried my living room's large window would cause problems or that my old 52 inch Sharp LCD tv from 2006 that I use as my main PC monitor would cause problems, but I've had zero issues. In fact the new firmware that lighthouses use, greatly eliminate and reduce tracking issues due to reflective surfaces.

After mounting the lighthouses I was basically up and running. I had zero issues tracing my room, and I've been enjoying perfect tracking since day 1. I've had absolutely zero issues with occlusion, and absolutely no Rift owner can make the same claim if they are truly honest with themselves and not deluding themselves into thinking they bought the superior product. Also I've had zero issues with being able to read text clearly. I find the Vive quite sharp, though I do have the lenses pushed all the way back in order for there to be plenty of space for my glasses.

If you buy the Rift, you're buying a product with second rate tracking that can't scale up the way the lighthouse tracking can. At least consider picking up a Vive from like Best Buy so that you can return it within a month if it doesn't satisfy you.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

iceaim posted:

If you buy the Rift, you're buying a product with second rate tracking

Look, I don't really care what you buy, but this is a silly statement. PSVR could probably be considered second rate tracking. Rift is slightly inferior due to play area size. The trade off is better controllers. Try them both before you buy.