Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I know for a fact Collision is a Flophouse fan but I don't know if J has ever said anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New episode up now. It's loving Ender's Game.

RIP J.W. and Chris.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
inb4 a buncha goons stunting about how they totally didn't like it in high school

Nerdo, we all know you did

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

inb4 a buncha goons stunting about how they totally didn't like it in high school

jokes on you motherfucker, i didn't read books in high school

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

jokes on you motherfucker, i didn't read books in high school

poo poo you're cool

I'll go see if I can find my old locker to stuff myself into

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I read a book by Orson Scott Card in high school but it wasn't Ender's Game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I read the entire series when I was ~9 and I think it messed with me a little.

I also think I rented Wyrms from the library around the same age, which is a fantasy book in which a mystical worm lures a 15 y/o virgin to him telepathically so it can rape her and impregnate her with Jesus. :stonklol:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I somehow dodged the bullet on Ender's Game, should I read it? It's only 324 pages. I know you're Not Supposed to Read the Book, but I really enjoyed RPO for the exact reason J did: it's fun to scoff at dumb bullshit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

padijun posted:

I somehow dodged the bullet on Ender's Game, should I read it? It's only 324 pages. I know you're Not Supposed to Read the Book, but I really enjoyed RPO for the exact reason J did: it's fun to scoff at dumb bullshit

Read the short story it's based on

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Read Ender's Game, then read the essay(ies) "Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman" or "Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality", then re-read the book and be horrified at how creepy the book is.

Gives you an interesting perspective on how insidious fascist strains of thought can be.

edit: I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm really glad they linked to "Innocent Killer". Excited to listen now.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 27, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

padijun posted:

No. It's not even good, "you're the chosen one," escapist fiction.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Famethrowa posted:

Read Ender's Game, then read the essay(ies) "Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman" or "Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality", then re-read the book and be horrified at how creepy the book is.

Gives you an interesting perspective on how insidious fascist strains of thought can be.

edit: I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm really glad they linked to "Innocent Killer". Excited to listen now.

Or you could just not read it twice

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ManMythLegend posted:

No. It's not even good, "you're the chosen one," escapist fiction.

the point is it's not good

like batman vs superman was a poo poo of a movie, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it because snyder thought that merking jimmy olson in scene 1 was a what the fans wanted to see. the martha/martha part put me in an honest-to-god good mood with how dumb it was

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I never read Ender's Game, but I did try to lead a "communist rebellion" against my English teacher after we read The Fountainhead.

I was an entirely different sort of insufferable nerd in high school!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Or you could just not read it twice

that too. I like to hate-read though :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Famethrowa posted:

"Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman"

Is this the one written by a crazy Joss Whedon fan who accused Card of being an actual literal Nazi or a Hitler fanboy? Because even Jay found that to be exaggerating things, and he loving hated the book and Card.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
If you are gonna hate read, ender's game will go down easier than most and it's not too long so you can do worse, just get a used copy because otherwise Card will get your pennies.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is this the one written by a crazy Joss Whedon fan who accused Card of being an actual literal Nazi or a Hitler fanboy? Because even Jay found that to be exaggerating things, and he loving hated the book and Card.

I don't know much about the authors background honestly (though I doubt the Joss Whedon bit since the essay is from 1987) but it doesn't call Card a literal nazi. It's mostly guilty of overstating its points because it's an amateur essay by a non-critic

It has flaws, but it was the first essay to criticize Card at a time when every sci-fi publication was singing the praises of the novel. Coming from an unknown female writer during the most chauvinistic era of sci-fi, that's pretty impressive. Grain of salt, and the Innocent Killer essay is more scholarly (I recommended Ender and Hitler first since it's a easier read), but it's still thought-provoking and worth a read

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 27, 2016

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I am wondering if the idea that Ender's genocide of the "buggers" was actually intended to be a tragedy of manipulation and misinformation, and the hosts just either completely missed it, or if they ignored that, or it just didn't hit.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I read pretty much nothing but a ton of scifi and fantasy in high school but somehow I've never read Ender's Game.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Spark That Bled posted:

I am wondering if the idea that Ender's genocide of the "buggers" was actually intended to be a tragedy of manipulation and misinformation, and the hosts just either completely missed it, or if they ignored that, or it just didn't hit.
It absolutely was.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It absolutely was.

Yeah it is. This is not a great episode because of stuff like this. They also talk about the "hurt someone so badly they cannot strike back" was something the book thought was a good thing when the book takes pains to show the consequences. I don't think Ender's Game is a great book but they are really whiffing hard on some of their reads.

For a book that they complain explains everything to much they seem to have missed the overt clunky explanation of how this has all been a tragic farce. I don't want to throw this criticism at the podcast specifically but I think that in light of Card's very visible and horrible homophobia people fall over themselves to reinterpret his works to mean things they don't really mean. In the case of Ender's Game they often do so in defiance of the the books overtly stated themes. Which are stated very clearly and clunkily because it is (and always was in spite of what they claim in the podcast for some reason) a YA book.

There is already super offensive poo poo in that book you don't have to invent. Like the book's proof that the futuristic society is post racial being that Ender calls a black kid the N-word and the black kid is not offended.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 27, 2016

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Your way works too posted:

There is already super offensive poo poo in that book you don't have to invent. Like the book's proof that the futuristic society is post racial being that Ender calls a black kid the N-word and the black kid is not offended.

Holy poo poo I don't remember this at all. Anyone have the book around to quote it?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I may be misinterpreting Card's intention with it (ironically) but I think that's the idea. Here it is:

quote:

“Let’s freeze a few,” Alai said. “Let’s have our first war. Us against them.”

They grinned. Then Ender said, “Better invite Bernard.” Alai cocked an eyebrow. “Oh?”

“And Shen.”

“That little slanty-eyed butt-wiggler?”

Ender decided that Alai was joking. “Hey, we can’t all be niggers.” Alai grinned. “My grandpa would’ve killed you for that.”

“My great great grandpa would have sold him first.”

“Let’s go get Bernard and Shen and freeze these bugger-lovers.”

In twenty minutes, everyone in the room was frozen except Ender, Bernard, Shen, and Alai. The four of them sat there whooping and laughing until Dap came in.

In any case it's a really weird moment.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Man how in the hell did I not remember that? It's insanely egregious.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

You don't think it's weird that the book falls over itself to excuse every action of a cold, calculating sociopath 6 year old, who literally kicks 2 children to death and faces no real consequences?

Then when this sociopath commits genocide, we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

It's a creepy, manipulative book with a agenda.

Edit: also, the critique of the book as genocide apologia came way before Card was outed as a crazy homophobe.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

You don't think it's weird that the book falls over itself to excuse every action of a cold, calculating sociopath 6 year old, who literally kicks 2 children to death and faces no real consequences?

Then when this sociopath commits genocide, we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

Edit: also, the critique of the book as genocide apologia came way before Card was outed as a crazy homophobe.

You can say that the hypothetical question it crafts by protecting him from direct culpability of the genocide (although I would point out that Ender himself does not see himself as blameless) is not worthwhile or/and even irresponsible.

However it is explicitly an anti-genocide book and I have issues with people trying to twist it's obvious and stated message into one that is the opposite.

Like for what it is worth I do think that the narrative voice of the book does not really hold Ender responsible and blames those nasty adults for everything but it also calls out what has occurred as an atrocity.

I think that Card's religious mind frame is pretty obvious near the end as well. Ender has sinned but can redeemed by atonement and starting to make things right by finding the Buggers a new home to start again. Now the idea that a person can be redeemed from a sin as large a genocide by guilt and good deeds is a boondoggle but I don't think that is meant to imply the genocide was anything less then genocide.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 28, 2016

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Famethrowa posted:

It could also be said that Ender facing no real consequences for killing two children could also be a signpost that these people would also help Ender's genocide at the end. But that's probably putting too much thought into it.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Doesn't Card have some weird belief that intent is more morally important than the consequence? Or basically that the "means" justify the "ends" vs the other way around?

Though maybe I'm just remembering the argument in the Innocent Killer essay. I liked the book in Middle School, and I still enjoy aspects of the book (I remember it feeling very eerie and brutal?) but unfortunately I also read the sequels where Ender becomes a spokesman for extinct civilizations or some poo poo and they were total trash.

Oh oh yeah, and the bit with Ender finding the Bugger eggs/queen? at the end was a revised ending Card wrote when he started writing the sequels.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 28, 2016

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Crocobile posted:

Doesn't Card have some weird belief that intent is more morally important than the consequence? Or basically that the "means" justify the "ends" vs the other way around?

If he did it wouldn't really have much application to the book since the genocide that occurs is a farce. The whole thing happens because of a misunderstanding and there is no positive gain or "end".

I suppose it could be relevant to the kids he kills I guess but I got the impression that they are just part of the guilt he assumes at the end of the book. I dunno. I don't really know what to make of those kids outside of as plot devices.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 28, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't think it is advocating for genocide, and I don't think anyone does say that, but it offers a weak-rear end handwaving of it.

Which, to be fair, is probably the theological point of the novel, but gently caress that point of view tbh.

edit: also, the speaker of the dead thing is a direct reference to the Mormon tradition of going through Holocaust victim lists and posthumously baptizing them as Mormon. As a jew, that is beyond reprehensible.

Edit2: I'm very, very biased against the religious institution of mormonism, to be completely clear here. Card, in my mind, parrots their most offensive beliefs.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Crocobile posted:

Card has said as much in interviews, and it does show up in Kessel's essay too.

Also, I didn't get the feeling from the episode that they were missing the tragedy, no more than the essay does either. It is tragic, but the tragedy in the book is that Ender has to go through this experience, not that an alien race is exterminated. I don't think Card wrote it deliberately that way, but it's got that teenage myopia where the worst thing in the world is something that makes you feel bad. I think Collision's stance on sci-fi is harsh, but he's got a good point about how juvenile it is to have a book about genocide that focuses on how bad the guy who dropped the bomb feels.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Crocobile posted:

In which not being a ethical consequentialist is now a "weird belief"

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
say what you will about this episode but i completely lost it at genocide cuts both ways, fartknocker

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Honestly that's what bothers me most about the Ender Hitler essay

Non-consequentialist ethical frameworks exist, and people believe them without being monsters. Read a book, nerdo.

EDIT: Though it's been a while, so I might be misremembering. Googling mostly turns up dead links.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Djeser posted:

Card has said as much in interviews, and it does show up in Kessel's essay too.

Also, I didn't get the feeling from the episode that they were missing the tragedy, no more than the essay does either. It is tragic, but the tragedy in the book is that Ender has to go through this experience, not that an alien race is exterminated. I don't think Card wrote it deliberately that way, but it's got that teenage myopia where the worst thing in the world is something that makes you feel bad. I think Collision's stance on sci-fi is harsh, but he's got a good point about how juvenile it is to have a book about genocide that focuses on how bad the guy who dropped the bomb feels.

I was under the impression that the novel was supposed to be about how militarism can dehumanize and other their enemies, and the detachment from death that remote warfare (drones, anybody) can cause. That these people saw in Ender someone who would kill without compunction, somebody who was useful to their aims of extermination. I get the impression now that Card didn't do a good job at conveying this, or is that wrong too?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Honestly that's what bothers me most about the Ender Hitler essay

Non-consequentialist ethical frameworks exist, and people believe them without being monsters. Read a book, nerdo.

EDIT: Though it's been a while, so I might be misremembering. Googling mostly turns up dead links.

That's not what the essay claims. It's entirely focused on the questionable ethics of the book in question.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

For reference, here's Elaine Radford's article Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman, and here's John Kessel's Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality.

I've only skimmed Radford's article but Kessel mentions that he himself isn't a consequentialist; he thinks intentions matter, but he argues that in Ender's Game only intentions matter.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Famethrowa posted:

That's not what the essay claims. It's entirely focused on the questionable ethics of the book in question.

quote:

The doctrine that the morality of an action is solely determined by the actor’s motive rests on a significant assumption: that the good always know what their motives are, and are never moved to do things for selfish reasons while yet thinking themselves moved by virtue

I internet archived it and this quote in particular is some bullshit

Sorry, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

John Kessel posted:

A number of people have objected to this essay on the grounds that intentions do make a difference in our judgments of the degree of culpability we assign to an actor performing any action. I did not mean to give the impression that I believe that intention is irrelevant to judging whether an action is moral. We normally take intentions into account when making such judgments. I do, too. To judge only by results would be cruel and rigid.

What bothers me about OSC and Ender's Game is that he says that onlyintentions matter in making such judgments. This I absolutely reject. It is the classic excuse of someone who commits a heinous act to say that his intentions were good, and to justify his questionable means by referring to his good ends. We see this all too obviously, for example, in the justifications the Bush administration gave for the Iraq war. They said they thought Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, that he had links to terrorism, that we were there to promote democracy, etc. Millions of people even at the time knew that these justifications were inadequate, or in many cases outright fabrications.

Card sets up Ender to be the sincere, abused innocent, and rigs the game to make us accept that he does no wrong. I see the entire pupose of the "remote war by game" trick in the novel as a device to make this argument plausible. But in the real world genocide is not committed by accident. We see the immoral consequences of such a mode of thought in the heaps of dead bodies that history has piled up, committed always by leaders who tell us they only meant to protect us from evil. I just will not accept that. —JK