Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Canned octopus is actually very good and pretty light in flavor. Fairly chewy. Great straight out of the can or dumped in a salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I've never clicked on this thread but I had a bunch of fried sardines for dinner. They were good. I like sardines.

No, I like sardines.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

numberoneposter posted:

Canned octopus is actually very good and pretty light in flavor. Fairly chewy. Great straight out of the can or dumped in a salad.

Agreed, but eel is not. Don't buy tinned eel. You'll regret it.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Hypha posted:

No, I like sardines.

I enjoyed small fried sardines today in Spain and recently I had large grilled sardines in Serbia. I only mention this to say that the sardines I had in Portugal once were also grilled but medium sized and I don't understand why sardines are so loving variable in their size.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
And why are canned sardines so small???

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

big one wouldn't fit in the can you ding dong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

They shrink in cold water.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Agreed, but eel is not. Don't buy tinned eel. You'll regret it.

I've had good canned eel

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

numberoneposter posted:

They shrink in cold water.

I think this really nails it down.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

big one wouldn't fit in the can you ding dong

Actually this makes the most sense.

For anyone who eats fried sardines, do you eat the head? The spine? I tried it both ways and I guess it was ok but I preferred the small bit of extra effort to remove the head and spine before.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

I went to the fancy international store and bought then ate a can of octopus in oil.

A++, will make bubba gag.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah ok whatever

raton fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 22, 2016

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.

Allergens: fish :downs:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im absolutely addicted to KO kipper snacks

naem
May 29, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah ok whatever

drat French, always drilling for lobster

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
that poo poo sounds delish

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I like to eat this

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Canned octopusmeat was an absolute success. Family thinks I have been turned into another color.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah ok whatever

$13 'dines what the tapdancing gently caress

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i've never had a smoked kipper I didn't like, and very few non-smoked or lightly smoked ones

MW Polar's kipper snacks are pretty much the prefect balance of amazing tasting and cheap af. It's tinned in water which is normally a no-no for me but it works with these

My dog rates them the highest possible rank a food can achieve, an honor it shares only with fresh mozzarella

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
I signed up to be a KO taster and when I checked the mail this morning, my taster kit was waiting. King Oscar gave me a Christmas present!

Connormgs
Sep 27, 2014
I ate King Oscar's brisling sardines on saltines with trader joe's habanero sauce I thought they were a bit too salty but yeah I liked them I got some other brands that I will try I forgot what they are exactly at the moment.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I don't do FB anymore, but the chance of winning some sweet dine prizes means that I've been hijacking my wife's account to post my bad poetry. I hope I can win something so that I can justify my exposure to that awful website.

In other fish related news, I have a confession to make.

I've never had kippers!!!

I would like to fix this oversight, what are the best ones to start with? What is the flavor/texture like in comparison to sardines?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Brunswick you can find anywhere and are actually good, Polar is a bit better, and Appel are amazing but so rich that it can be hard to finish because they're in oil vs water like most others. Their defining traits are smoke, salt and large fillets.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Crown Prince kipper snacks are the only kippers I can find anywhere near me and they are delicious

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I worship at the altar of Costco and they had Season brand boneless-skinless dines (in olive oil) 5 packs for $10. I picked up a pack but haven't tasted them yet - where do they score in the hierarchy of canned fish?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I have never seen costco offer dines that weren't boneless and skinless so they inevitably suck regardless of how expensive they are.

If you want a deal on real dines look for bumblebees in oil for less than 1$ a tin, great sardines, better than Brunswick, beachliff, or chicken of the sea. If you wanna pay more than that get KO (with skin and bones) but you're just cheating yourself if you go somewhere in between.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ArbitraryC posted:

I have never seen costco offer dines that weren't boneless and skinless so they inevitably suck regardless of how expensive they are.

If you want a deal on real dines look for bumblebees in oil for less than 1$ a tin, great sardines, better than Brunswick, beachliff, or chicken of the sea. If you wanna pay more than that get KO (with skin and bones) but you're just cheating yourself if you go somewhere in between.

Bumblebee sardines in mustard sauce are really good cracker sardines. My neighborhood market stopped stocking them (and all sardines). They have 20 tins of smoked oysters that aren't moving

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

:( I wasn't aware the skinless/boneless ones were universally poo poo-tier. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be ok with hot sauce and/or mayo on a cracker.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

ArbitraryC posted:

My Costco has Wild Planet skin/boneful in olive oil in boxes of 6 cans, it owns.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

canoshiz posted:

My Costco has Wild Planet skin/boneful in olive oil in boxes of 6 cans, it owns.

I envy you, I was just speaking from my experience but for sure if you see a deal on full bodied sardines at your costco it is your duty to try it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

:( I wasn't aware the skinless/boneless ones were universally poo poo-tier. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be ok with hot sauce and/or mayo on a cracker.

I'm sure they can be fine but in my personal experience they lose their moisture and taste dry unless you pair them with other stuff, I'd recommend making dips out of avocado, cream cheese, and boneless/skinless dines topped with onions/tomatoes/peppers as you see fit but i just don't think they're that good for snackin strait out of the can

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My parents got me (among other things) a can of saupiquet grilled mackerel and some if the bar harbor smoked dines in maple syrup for christmas. Can't wait to try them out.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm sure they can be fine but in my personal experience they lose their moisture and taste dry unless you pair them with other stuff, I'd recommend making dips out of avocado, cream cheese, and boneless/skinless dines topped with onions/tomatoes/peppers as you see fit but i just don't think they're that good for snackin strait out of the can

I got the taster kit this time around and they're these

dreadspork posted:

I signed up to be a KO taster and when I checked the mail this morning, my taster kit was waiting. King Oscar gave me a Christmas present!

and I ate the spanish-style ones on their own, albeit with a little extra hot sauce. they were pretty good. plain boneless/skinless are definitely lacking on their own, but they're a pretty good substitute for canned tuna.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i tried some skinless ones from trader joes they sucked dick

(these - avoid and get harissa instead)

dangerann
Jan 12, 2009
Headed to Global Foods this weekend to stock up on international dines.

Also going to pick up Branston Pickle for cheese sandwiches. Has anyone tried it and found it to be a dine -acceptable accoutrement?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Snoo posted:

plain boneless/skinless are definitely lacking on their own, but they're a pretty good substitute for canned tuna.

The plain are good on wasa crackers smeared with avocado and topped with pico de gallo.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

OK so I cracked a can of these open:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-Skinless-Boneless-Sardines-3-75-Ounce/dp/B000HDJYWA

(From Costco, 6 cans for $9.99)

Trip report: they're actually pretty nice. They're large fishes, but are very intact and quite tasty. Very mild fish flavor and they don't taste super overcooked. Great on a buttery cracker with hot sauce. There are about 6-7 fishes in a can.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 30, 2016

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
Had my first 'dines tonight - hot sauce, no utensils. Paired with scotch and a cigarette.

Will add to my "open can, put in mouth" repertoire. Good looks, 'dine thread posters.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Season-Skinless-Boneless-Sardines-3-75-Ounce/dp/B000HDJYWA

Trip report: they're actually pretty nice. They're large fishes, but are very intact and quite tasty. Very mild fish flavor and they don't taste super overcooked. Great on a buttery cracker with hot sauce. There are about 6-7 fishes in a can.

I just can't get over that packaging. I'd sooner pay for a white cardboard box with "fish" typewritten on one side. I can't put my finger on why this packaging bugs me so much. Maybe they're trying to rip off the wild planet 'dine box design but they just got everything too soft and curvy. looks like a box of tampons or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

A buddy at my bar gave me a Costco 6 pack of these and I am enjoying them. A flavorful topping makes them even better