Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Plus being on Netflix, they're planning on reaching a lot of countries, when making the original for the uk it's not as pressing concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I binged this poo poo and then went to r/blackmirror to read episode discussions and...yikes.

So many redditors justifying and empathizing the abusive assholes in The Entire History of You and White Christmas. Lots of "gently caress you, Beth, you could have talked to him about it" completely missing the fact that he was being physically aggressive towards her. So many people took the idea from The Entire History of You as being "Well, he was right, wasn't he?" as if that makes it a happy story.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Why the gently caress would you read Reddit?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Lots of "gently caress you, Beth, you could have talked to him about it" completely missing the fact that he was being physically aggressive towards her.

While I get this position, I honestly don't buy the idea that he'd never have found out that the child wasn't his. Someone would have told him, or he'd find out when he sued for joint custody.

I don't know if it would have helped his immediate situation an awful lot -- he was, after all, something of an arsehole -- but that moment's always struck me as a bit contrived.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wake_N_Bake posted:

There's a much higher volume of posts and topics about any given subject compared to SA.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zwabu posted:

There's a much higher volume of posts and topics about any given subject compared to SA.
Also the front page can be good for catching up on news.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Open Source Idiom posted:

While I get this position, I honestly don't buy the idea that he'd never have found out that the child wasn't his. Someone would have told him, or he'd find out when he sued for joint custody.

I don't know if it would have helped his immediate situation an awful lot -- he was, after all, something of an arsehole -- but that moment's always struck me as a bit contrived.

Agreed on the first point, but *not* knowing absolutely exacerbated the situation. Not to say he wasn't an obsessive rear end in a top hat, but given the block and restraining order already in place, I suspect knowing the truth would've helped diffuse the situation.

Why the block lifted when the mother died is another contrivance, though. If this girl was deemed necessary to block when her mother was alive, why would that change? Of course, there are other issues with that episode...like, how do sex offenders not die when they're blocked by everyone, can't work, and can't conduct transactions like buying food?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xealot posted:

how do sex offenders not die when they're blocked by everyone, can't work, and can't conduct transactions like buying food?

Exactly...

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ElCondemn posted:

Exactly...

But they release them from prison? Before condemning them to death via techno-starvation? Not a particularly risk-averse strategy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xealot posted:

But they release them from prison? Before condemning them to death via techno-starvation? Not a particularly risk-averse strategy.

Social justice vs State justice

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
White Christmas is my least favorite Black Mirror for that reason; it doesn't mine the consequences of the technology it introduces enough. We talk about the consequences sex offenders could face here, but compared to The Entire History of You it's just not thought of onscreen. Could Matt Trent make a cookie of himself to act in society on his behalf?

As far as Reddit's reverse criticism of The Entire History Of You, that seemed like part of the hook of the episode to me; that Liam would be a lovely, small person no matter what.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Mameluke posted:

White Christmas is my least favorite Black Mirror for that reason; it doesn't mine the consequences of the technology it introduces enough. We talk about the consequences sex offenders could face here, but compared to The Entire History of You it's just not thought of onscreen. Could Matt Trent make a cookie of himself to act in society on his behalf?
We already have the episode examining the consequences of technology enabling the base human desire for justice.

Mameluke posted:

As far as Reddit's reverse criticism of The Entire History Of You, that seemed like part of the hook of the episode to me; that Liam would be a lovely, small person no matter what.
I think that this is a boring interpretation; bad people do bad things. More interesting is how technology may be outpacing our ability to create rules around its use, and not just laws, but also behavioral norms

lightinwater fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 29, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Trick is to subscribe to whatever niche topics you are interested in so that is the only thing that appears on your front page, and never ever read comments on stuff relating to news, politics, or pop culture.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lightinwater posted:

I think that this is a boring interpretation; bad people do bad things.

No, the point is that everything Liam does is done today by people going through texts and social media looking for proof of infidelity.

Why drive yourself to grief/insanity over it? If a partner is going to cheat, they're going to cheat.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

WampaLord posted:

No, the point is that everything Liam does is done today by people going through texts and social media looking for proof of infidelity.

Why drive yourself to grief/insanity over it? If a partner is going to cheat, they're going to cheat.

The post i was replying to said "Liam would be a lovely, small person no matter what" which seems pretty bad people do bad things.

Otherwise you're close to the interesting bit, but so very far away. Of course people are paranoid about infidelity, not just now, but in all of human history. What is interesting in the episode is how technology enables you to indulge yourself and what consequences there may be. Before cookies there were mobile phones and because they made it easy to drive yourself insane/ruin your relationship because of trust issues the social norm became don't gently caress with your SOs mobile. In an age of cookies, what should be the social norm?

Actually I think it's a parable about the utility of human memory being imperfect. You asked the Genie for a perfect memory and here's how hosed you are.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Just rewatched White Bear....is it just me, or does Jem occasionally seem a bit concerned/uncomfortable about their treatment of Victoria (when Victoria says she remembers things or has bad feelings)? She says a few things to Baxter and gives him some looks, but it's hard to tell if it's "poo poo, what are we doing here?" vs "You're my idiot boss who never takes my concerns about this job seriously"

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

help, I keep listening to Exit Music and Heaven is a Place on Earth and I just want to watch those two episodes repeatedly

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

withak posted:

Trick is to subscribe to whatever niche topics you are interested in so that is the only thing that appears on your front page, and never ever read comments on stuff relating to news, politics, or pop culture.

Reddit is garbage, the fact that comments are voted on means that it's always a race to circle jerk the fastest. Any dissent from the circle jerk gets hidden from view, very democratic. Also since it's a public anonymous forum you get discussion that rivals yahoo answers and youtube comments.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I just watched the whole series, accidentally starting with season 3 then going to season 2 then season 1 (should've paid more attention to the default sort order on Netflix), so these thoughts kinda jumble together. Also I knew nothing about the show going in except that I'd heard nonspecific praise. Didn't even realize it was Charlie Brooker at first despite being aware of some of his other work. Not sure how I pulled that bit of ignorance off but go me.

There's a few episodes where I kept hoping we were going in an interesting direction but it felt like we got the rote version of the script. In "White Bear" I thought we were gearing up for a "the animal escaped their cage" plot. All the jackals with their phones seemed to get real close, you're just tempting disaster by letting the public within arm's length. Same with the army one, it just kinda plays out exactly as you expect and you're watching it happen. And ditto the playtesting episode, I guess it's a competent horror hour (maybe? I don't horror much so idk) but I found it pretty boring. Even the stationary bike-a-thon felt like it just played itself along then quietly exited the stage. Don't get me wrong, each of these episodes have aspects that I really enjoy, but the story didn't contribute to my enjoyment like it did in some other episodes.

All that said, "San Junipero" was transcendent. Easily one of the best episodes of anything I've ever seen. I think it was helped by having a few depressing episodes come first, because it is not really representative of the series as a whole. Anyone trying to introduce someone to Black Mirror by showing them SJ first is doing the new viewer a grave disservice. But having been primed to look for a "what if it's all poo poo, but too much" twist, everything just played out so perfectly. And I wasn't conscious for any of the '80s but they seemed to establish the poo poo out of the setting.

It was cool to get to "White Christmas" a few episodes later, which adds to the tech in SJ with "also we can make a copy". (Yes I know that's not the order they were written, but in my goofy watching order that's how I saw them.) Two completely different episodes based on a very similar new technology. Loved them both.

"Nosedive" is absolutely more lighthearted than the rest of the series, which could either turn off an established fan or may be a great starting point for the new viewer. I liked it, and I especially liked how it plays out "what if star ratings, but too much" by adding one new scenario after the other where a poor rating just arbitrarily fucks you over. Now your job requires a minimum rating. Now the airport. Now the car rental. Makes the world of "Nosedive" feel bigger than that of some of the other episodes. The you-can-perfectly-recall-anything episode had some similarly nice world-building when the airport security wants to see everyone you've talked to in the last week. Always nice to explore implications beyond what's immediately necessary to move the story.

That's probably more words than anyone will read but I liked typing them!

Also the bees were infinitely scarier than anything in playtesting. Yes I realize how stupid that sounds but it's so true. And no I don't have any particular fear of bees.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 5, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McSpanky posted:

It's precisely the popularity of the songs in San Junipero that makes it easier to license, they're owned/distributed by large corporations that have their legal networks in place (and all of those songs are largely pre-negotiated with standard contracts, they've been used so much already) so the deals are much easier to secure.

I'm late to chime in on this, but the other thing is that the songs in San Junipero are played in the background, while the song in Fifteen Million Merits is sung by one of the actors, on screen. A ton of shows in Netflix change the soundtrack for shows, because almost nobody notices. Scrubs is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, mostly because it licensed a ton of music before streaming was big. The Netflix version v. the DVD version v. the aired version of certain episodes are completely the hell different.

(Actually, I feel a little better about jumping to Scrubs, because when I googled the phenomenon, it's one of the first things to come up: )

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scrubs/comments/2lmf7h/ive_made_a_list_of_dvdnetflix_song_differences/

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bicyclops posted:

the song in Fifteen Million Merits is sung by one of the actors, on screen.

In the original episode yeah, but there are a couple of callbacks in other episodes where they use what I assume is the original

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The actress is definitely singing it in the flashback in White Christmas. One of the soldiers is singing it in Men Against Fire.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh really? My bad. I did remember after posting that it was an actress in White Christmas but I was sure there was a scene where it was just part of the soundtrack in one ep. Guess my memory just sucks

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It's still characters singing it onscreen.

In White Christmas, the guy's wife sings the song in the karaoke scene in the bar (flashback).

In Men Against Fire the gung ho female soldier sings it mockingly at the priest when they've taken him prisoner.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Watched Nosedive, sucks. The premise of "likeability" functioning as some kind of universal social economy is lol and bad. That it also somehow acts as a primary predictor of power / influence is lmao and :doh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it's super implausible that likable but incompetent people would triumph over competent but unlikable people. He said, sarcastically.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

precision posted:

competent / incompetent

where exactly was this explored lol

or any other aspect of social economy beyond universal facebook rating

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I didn't like Nosedive either, almost turned me off the show completely (for some reason Netflix opens the series with season 3 selected so it was the first episode I watched).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a pretty episode with a higher budget and cinematography but that's where the good ends.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I thought it was better than the actual pilot :shrug:

Seriously though, the pig loving episode made me give up on the series for a while. Then one day I just randomly decided to watch 15 Million Merits and it blew me away and won me over to the series.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Whenever I tell someone to start watching I advise them to start with "The entire history of you".

It has a perfect middle ground between the more shocking episodes and the more society based related episodes.

Some people don't really like White Bear / Shut up and Dance / National Anthem.
Other think San Junipero, 15 Million Merits and Nosedive are too cheesy/boring.

But I have yet to meet someone who thought TEHOY was a bad episode. (also it's not a good idea to make them start with what you think is the "best" episode as you need to keep some good ones for the end.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bad might be strong but I don't think it's good.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well what I want to say is that it very well catches the general "theme" of Black Mirror.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The first law of Black Mirror is that nobody ever agrees on the relative merits of the episodes. Even at the most basic level of if am episode is strong or weak.

If you got the entire world population to watch and rank the 13 episodes, excluding the inappropriately young and the senile, you'd probably never find somebody else who agreed.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Pablo Bluth posted:

The first law of Black Mirror is that nobody ever agrees on the relative merits of the episodes. Even at the most basic level of if am episode is strong or weak.

If you got the entire world population to watch and rank the 13 episodes, excluding the inappropriately young and the senile, you'd probably never find somebody else who agreed.

13! = 6.23 billion, so likely yes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

I mean, there's an extent to which this is true of everything, but there is very definitely a "critical consensus" on certain things (i.e. "Fifteen Million Merits" is among the best, "San Junipero" is among the best of the revival), and I'd guess, without knowing, that there is a "fan consensus" that whether or not you like or love The National Anthem, and whether or not you think, in the end, it is a story that could only be told on Black Mirror, it isn't a spectacular introduction to the show, because it doesn't give you a very good idea of what you'll be watching going forward.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel like the only reason The National Anthem drives people away from the series is because it's gross. Otherwise, I feel like it represents the series quite well, especially season 1, where most episodes are about the judgemental aspects of "internet" culture, and how far people will go to play around or with those aspects. I dunno if that makes sense, but I feel that's more the Black Mirror thing than "phones, but too much". The only thing Anthem doesn't have is the stronger sci-fi elements, but everything else is there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Felt too silly for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWg3OyY7nCQ