Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Quote is not Edit, gently caress;

The full story, courtesy of the 1d4chan wiki:

quote:

Settra and his forces were on the verge of defeating the forces of the Vampire Counts when Nagash showed up. Nagash, super powered after nomming Nehekhara's death god Usirian and taking over the underworld, turns the tables. Eventually the two face off, trading blows before Settra loses his chariot and charges Nagash. The two engage in a battle of wills with Nagash discovering that Settra's willpower is still equal to his own, despite Nagash's divine supercharge. So Nagash decides to cheat and Settra doesn't even land a hit before Nagash sends swarms of spirits to restrain Settra and lift him into the air. Nagash complimented Settra and offered him a place as one of his Mortarchs, threatening destruction if he refused. In response Settra looked Nagash in the eye and said:

"SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE" he shouted, trembling with rage, "SETTRA RULES!" Utterly badass.

This doesn't phase Nagash, who just says "gently caress it" and casually blows up Settra and scatters his bones across the sands of Khemri before claiming leadership of the Tomb Kings from Settra. As a final insult, Nagash destroys Khemri, forcing Settra's head to watch helplessly from the sand, and makes everyone leave Settra stuck there with the ruins of his city. After gently caress knows how long, and getting tired of yelling to scare off hungry vultures, Settra starts to wish he were mortal just so he could truly die. Then, four unknown beings (revealed to be the Chaos Gods, though it's obvious in hindsight) put his body back together and fill him with new power. Speaking as one they tell him his battle with Nagash doesn't have to end this way and that he can be a king again. Settra doesn't answer.

While ther isn't a peep about him in the subsequent End Times armybooks, not even the last one "End Times:Archaon", Josh Reynolds comes to the rescue. In the novels and according to Reynolds; After being put back together and having a moment of introspection Settra walked all the way from Khemri to Middenheim and approached Archaon as an ally. To test his worth, Archaon ordered Settra to kill Kholek Suneater as Kholek was so arrogant as to be uncontrollable, and thus no use to Archaon. Settra and Kholek battled for four days, leveling much of the forest around Middenheim. But Settra was victorious, decapitating Kholek and dragging the head back to Archaon's throne room. He encountered Mannfred at Middenheim after the latter betrayed Nagash but gave no acknowledgement of this. At some point before the Incarnates arrived Settra went his own way unbeknownst to anyone. When the Incarnates attacked Middenheim, Settra confronted Nagash during the final battle. He pointed his khopesh (his awesome sword) at Nagash, and calls him a usurper then explains the Chaos Gods resurrected him to kill him. Settra then performs a flip and beheads a Chaos Daemon that was about to attack Nagash, points his khopesh at him again informs him that "NOBODY COMMANDS SETTRA!" He tells Nagash he will claim his skull eventually, but only after killing the Chaos Gods for DARING to offer him immortality and the chance to conquer all realities in exchange for servitude. He then charges into battle against the Chaos monsters by himself, killing a giant for good measure. He's last seen fighting them as the world is consumed.

For those keeping score at home, that makes Settra the ONLY being in any Warhammer setting who was offered literally everything there is to be offered (everything that someone could want from the Chaos Gods such as money, power, even immortality and worship via becoming a Daemon Prince or even true Godhood as a minor Chaos God like the Horned Rat to name a few; he might even have gotten that immaculate living gold body and had the option of sex again he was promised), and instead chose to give Chaos the middle finger in response.

Settra the Imperishable, Settra the Incorruptible, Settra Da Best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

KazigluBey posted:

Strongly disagree. While ET was a shitfest Settra The Imperishable comes out of it like a total loving badass and even though he has a fade-to-black ending it's by no means indicated that he died, instead he declared eternal vendetta against the Chaos Gods for ever daring to suggest he work for them and was last seen single-highhandedly slaying greater daemons left and right.

I mean, there were a handful of cool arcs (Gelt experimenting in dark magic also comes to mind) but you could of had those outside of the context of The End Times in ways that could shake up how future editions of books worked. I would of loved to seen a Warhost of the Khemri team that follows Settra raging out at chaos, takes his skeleton army up north and is running rampant in the Norse lands and Chaos Wastes taking the fight to chaos in their home turf.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yukitsu posted:

I sure hope it's a typhoon that finally stops him.

Nah he sacks glorious Nippon a bit before Gork and Mork tell him to quit muckin' about and go fight more Chaos.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Angry Lobster posted:

Orc players did give the middle finger to GW in several moments, like the Storm of Chaos, where they banded together and fought for the Order faction, or the Eye of Terror 40k campaign, where a large coalition of Ork players organized a large movement (da Green Kroosade) and set their own objectives for the campaign instead of following GW's rules for them, with huge success. I think GW stopped doing interactive campaigns after those experiences.

Basically, Greenskin players know the mindset of how Orcs/Orks work better than GW does. By and large they aren't knowingly evil or advancing evil like chaos or Dark Eldar are. They just want a good fight and don't let petty things like 'sides' or 'allegiances' get in the way of getting that fight. They are the Chaotic Neutral of Warhammer/40k.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, I get the distinct feeling that The End Times was at least in small part GW throwing a tantrum because their Storm of Chaos event (which was an actual tabletop campaign in which the players' collective match results determined how the results played out) went rear end end up when the writers tried to strongarm the greenskins in with the forces of Chaos. The Greenskin players collectively said "gently caress That" and revolted, submitting match after match against chaos - causing the final result to be "Chaos betrayed by greenskins, Grimgor interrupts Archaeon in his moment of victory by headbutting him unconscious and causing the chaos line to fail and rout while Grimgor moonwalks back to the badlands. The End Times was GW doing their Storm of Chaos without the pretense of player patricipation so their super special mary sue generic badman gets to blow up the world.

The best part of this was the Orc players sending a petition to GW saying "this is stupid, why would Orcs fight for Chaos, please change it" and Gav Thorpe throwing a massive strop about it afterwards, because how dare players decide the narrative in a player-driven campaign?

Also the whole thing basically worked by Chaos advancing along a line towards Middenheim. The idea was that they had to fight their way there through the various cities en route, and players would submit results in those cities, with Chaos wins making the advance quicker and Order wins slowing them down. Because all the Orc players swung behind particular locations, the advance stalled out completely in some places or went so slowly that GW eventually had to cheat and teleport Chaos to Middenheim, where they again failed to get anywhere. They'd blatantly already written everything the way it was "supposed" to play out, and hadn't considered what would happen if it didn't, then bungled the attempt to fix it. The whole thing was peak GW in its contempt for the player base and failure to understand the outside world.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know if GW had just rolled with it this would be a prime example of being a good company. Like how people remember the L5R story tournaments fondly even if they were a bit crap.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

You know if GW had just rolled with it this would be a prime example of being a good company. Like how people remember the L5R story tournaments fondly even if they were a bit crap.
A company that wasn't run by idiots could also have treated the fallout from those campaigns as a learning experience. For example perhaps they finally ought to do some market research and find out what their players want from the game. Instead GW doubled down and isolated themselves even more. They shut down their forums and basically cut of every line of communications between them and their customers.

There's quote from GW's former CEO: "We recruit for attitude and not for skill". It really explains a lot.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 28, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Nanomashoes posted:

There was an event called storm of chaos that was sort of the end times lite and it had to be retconned out of existence because Chaos got their asses kicked (plot was determined by the results of in-store tabletop games) and it ended when Grimgor sneak attacked (ball kicked) Archaon and one shot him.

I don't know how to really take this because holy poo poo.

I'll just say GW is bad and parrot everyone else.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was it retconned out of existance though? I thought it was just meant to be a scheduled event, and wasnt meant to necessarily be a huge world changer. Hence Valten, etc kind of trailing off afterwards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raygereio posted:

A company that wasn't run by idiots could also have treated the fallout from those campaigns as a learning experience. For example perhaps they finally ought to do some market research and find out what their players want from the game. Instead GW doubled down and isolated themselves even more. They shut down their forums and basically cut of every line of communications between them and their customers.

There's quote from GW's former CEO: "We recruit for attitude and not for skill". It really explains a lot.

Luckily though that was the former CEO, and the message from GW this year seems to be "We're sorry, please tell us what you want so we can have your money, we need it, seriously the stock you guys"

They're still a long long long way from perfect and I have tons of gripes about some of the products they put out this year, but they're at least improving somewhat and are actually doing things players want them to be doing for a change.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
the only canon I recognize for Warhammer Fantasy is Grimgor kicking Arch in the balls, stamping on his face while shouting "Grimgor is da biggest and da baddest" and then running away laughing into the sunrise as the looney toons theme plays

luckily, this game is canon-accurate and that's why it's the best warhammer game ever

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, there were a handful of cool arcs (Gelt experimenting in dark magic also comes to mind) but you could of had those outside of the context of The End Times in ways that could shake up how future editions of books worked. I would of loved to seen a Warhost of the Khemri team that follows Settra raging out at chaos, takes his skeleton army up north and is running rampant in the Norse lands and Chaos Wastes taking the fight to chaos in their home turf.

Oh for sure dude, I'm just saying it wasn't a full loss. Heck reading about ET Settra was what got me pumped for TKs being in this game. That's what, the third standalone or the second?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

its insane to me that a company would spite its players so actively. Their level of organization and buy-in to the game world is unreal and should be celebrated above everything else.

like I'm new to warhammer with this game aside from some flirtations with dawn of war, and the setting is the most fun thing. All the stories people have told in here about the universe are extremely entertaining.

the age of sigmar is baffling as an outside observer. Why would they tear up one of the best imagined worlds for a lovely clone of their 40k series? The day I saw a space marine armor with a sword in an age of sigmar ad i cried internally.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Space marines sell better than Holy Roman Empire guys with frilly pantaloons and blouses. They are infinitely more boring, but they sell.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Space marines sell better than Holy Roman Empire guys with frilly pantaloons and blouses. They are infinitely more boring, but they sell.

yeah, i mean its easy to understand. I just hate space marines on a personal level. I think the whole design of them is goofy as gently caress and utterly ridiculous. Almost every other race is neat, and the special children stick out like a sore thumb to me. Orks are my favorite race anywhere in imagined worlds. da fightiness is wots best! all else is muckin about!!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I don't know much about Warhammer but my favourite race are the lizardmen. Any news if they might be dlc in the future? Them or skaven at least.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Red Mundus posted:

I don't know much about Warhammer but my favourite race are the lizardmen. Any news if they might be dlc in the future? Them or skaven at least.

Lizardmen are definitely going to be one of the base races in the sequel game along side dark and high elves maybe skaven, with (I'm speculating) Skeggi or Dreadfleat as the preorder DLC.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They want to get every race with an army book in the game eventually. So lizardmen, tomb kings, etc., they're all coming eventually.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ogres are gonna be so cool. Is there still a sisters of battle equivalent in WFB or are they long since dead? They should skip that one.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Fauxtool posted:

ogres are gonna be so cool. Is there a sisters of battle equivalent in WFB? They should skip that one.

I think the closest I can think of is dwarves, so a bit late on that front.

(heavily armoured, somewhat tough faction that uses more fire than is normal with strange priesty powers that aren't normal magic/psionics)

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The lady faction in WFB is elves.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

ogres are gonna be so cool. Is there still a sisters of battle equivalent in WFB or are they long since dead? They should skip that one.
Not in WFB. Mordheim had the Sisters of Sigmar though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yukitsu posted:

I think the closest I can think of is dwarves, so a bit late on that front.

(heavily armoured, somewhat tough faction that uses more fire than is normal with strange priesty powers that aren't normal magic/psionics)

I dont mean playstyle. I mean big tits and terribly modeled faces attracting the creepiest players.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fauxtool posted:

I dont mean playstyle. I mean big tits and terribly modeled faces attracting the creepiest players.

Dark Elves.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Zyla posted:

its insane to me that a company would spite its players so actively. Their level of organization and buy-in to the game world is unreal and should be celebrated above everything else.

like I'm new to warhammer with this game aside from some flirtations with dawn of war, and the setting is the most fun thing. All the stories people have told in here about the universe are extremely entertaining.

the age of sigmar is baffling as an outside observer. Why would they tear up one of the best imagined worlds for a lovely clone of their 40k series? The day I saw a space marine armor with a sword in an age of sigmar ad i cried internally.

They couldn't copyright anything in Warhammer Fantasy because it's so derivative of everything so they blew it up and changed Dwarfs to Steamhead Duardin and Elfs to Aelfs so they could copyright them.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Dark Elves.

that checks out.

lol at putting so much effort into a turd

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

KazigluBey posted:

Oh for sure dude, I'm just saying it wasn't a full loss. Heck reading about ET Settra was what got me pumped for TKs being in this game. That's what, the third standalone or the second?

The tricky thing with Tomb Kings is that they're very much an Old World race, even if they operate out of Warhammer Egypt. They stick to their own territory and only venture forth to attack people who take their stuff and/or Vampires, with the most common offenders being crusading Bretonnians, Imperials seeking their fortune, and a Dwarf Hold near the TK city of Mahrak that has been in a dispute over ownership of a hammer for more than 2 millennia, with the hammer having changed hands a dozen times (I think this is Karak Azul, which is currently in-game, but I may be misremembering).

As a result they don't really fit in with the most likely Game 2 of Dark Elves, High Elves, and Lizardmen, nor do they really mesh well with the Dark Lands crew of Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs. Various things in the current game have me holding out hope for a last-minute TK addition but it's generally viewed as a long shot that they'll happen before Game 2.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
lizardmen are the best race and as soon as lord kroak is in the game it's feature-complete imo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ParanoidInc posted:

lizardmen are the best race and as soon as lord kroak is in the game it's feature-complete imo

Same but Skaven and Thanquol.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, who would be the fighty Skaven lord? Queek?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Night10194 posted:

Man, who would be the fighty Skaven lord? Queek?

Or Snitck the Assassin head of Eshin.

Honestly Skaven would work best without a normal 'fighty' Lord. Give them people like Thanquol, Skolk and Ikit Klaw who do crazy poo poo with magic/plagues/ranged machines. They lose in a stand up fight, but if they can bog the enemy down in a sea of skavenslaves they can devestate them.

Also all Skaven Lords should work like Skarsnik and get a Rat Ogre or something else thematic with their model.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ParanoidInc posted:

chameleon skinks with poison blowguns sound like the worst unit to fight

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i have this weird, but strong feeling questioning how well a sequel game will sell with lesser races being the main ones in it.

I have a feeling a lot of people will complain regardless of what they do with it, and will be really mad if it amounts to a DLC with few improvements to the main game.

edit: expanding the map and adding 4 new races doesnt seem like enough of a thing to justify a 60bux purchase

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
The next game is going to have grimdark edgelord elves in it. People eat that poo poo up.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zyla posted:

i have this weird, but strong feeling questioning how well a sequel game will sell with lesser races being the main ones in it.

I have a feeling a lot of people will complain regardless of what they do with it, and will be really mad if it amounts to a DLC with few improvements to the main game.

edit: expanding the map and adding 4 new races doesnt seem like enough of a thing to justify a 60bux purchase

The expansion is also standalone, so they'll be basically doubling the map and adding in four very unique races. If that's not worth 60bux, what WOULD be in your opinion?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The base game is a map with 4 races fyi.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Fauxtool posted:

They are going to be super tough to balance in the TW engine due to low model count and so much of their poo poo being monstrous.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

The expansion is also standalone, so they'll be basically doubling the map and adding in four very unique races. If that's not worth 60bux, what WOULD be in your opinion?

Lassitude posted:

The base game is a map with 4 races fyi.

personally I'm gonna buy it and i think its worth it, but i think for some reason that people will review it harshly. I'm just imagining reviews going 3/5 MORE OF THE SAME ZZZZ. I have a bad feeling about it. Especially if it revolves around the less popular races in the world.

I get that each race has been essentially 15 bux in every instance thus far save chaos but they halfassed them anyway.

It's just a prediction that could easily not come true. I'm just considering how whiny people are about the dlc costs as it is and extrapolating that to a full game's cost for what could be considered bundled dlc.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
One of the things I wonder about is how the expansion with the Darklands/Khemri will do. I mean, the base game's main four forces (Human empire, dwarfs, undead, orcs) are all things people are broadly familiar with, which makes it a good introduction that will sell well and the lustria one will have elves, which anyone who is aware of fantasy will know about, but the last one has: Mongolian Mercenary All-Consuming Ogres, Madman Babylonian-Assyrian slavetaker industrialist Chaos Dwarves, Undead Egypt (with the ark of the covenant from Indiana Jones) and maybe a chaos expansion? It's difficult to think of a race there that would provide a good starter for people who don't know the lore or game in the same way the empire/dwarves do and the high elves might, is just what I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

new phone who dis posted:

They are going to be super tough to balance in the TW engine due to low model count and so much of their poo poo being monstrous.

Only an issue in multiplayer. Having an army of all monstrous creatures would be fun, and challenging to fight with armies lacking good anti large units.

• Locked thread