Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

frogge posted:

I've been eyeing this one for awhile and I pulled the trigger on it during the steam sale. So far I've put like 10 hours into it. I know that I just want to be a space trucker complete with piss jugs for immersion. However, my God, the grind to save up the creds to upgrade from a Sidewinder to something with better cargo capacity is brutal.
Most of the missions I first accepted were to systems that are way too far out and unexplored so I couldn't plot a course to them. This game really sucker punches you when you start out, doesn't it?

this is why we used to deliver a bunch of palladium to new frogs, the first million is so much more annoying than the rest. if you want to stick it out and grind through it that's up to you, but you could easily find someone here to bring you enough expensive metal to buy yourself a nice eagle or adder and skip that tedious start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

frogge posted:

Most of the missions I first accepted were to systems that are way too far out and unexplored so I couldn't plot a course to them. This game really sucker punches you when you start out, doesn't it?

Make sure you have key bindings set for the galaxy and local maps. You'll be able to call them up in most contexts to quickly check on stuff like that and then drop back out to what you were doing.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Chrysophylax posted:

Unfortunately the starting sidewinder's jump range is criminally low. Make the fsd your first upgrade when you can afford it. You can later sell the modules and get 100% of the money back, so it's safe.

If you want to short circuit most of the starter ships really fast, find a Resource Extraction Site (not a hazardous one, always found around planets with rings, usually gas giants or dwarf stars), stick with the cops as they kill people and land a shot on their target just before they die. Payouts will range from 10k to 200k per ship killed, in bounty vouchers. This can also be done at Nav Beacons. Go to a station to redeem the bounty bouchers, get out of the lovely starter ship.

I used to reset my save all the time and this really is the fastest way. I would go straight to a viper or cobra, go with the cobra if you want to haul. Find a good system and stick to it for awhile to build rep. Until you have a ship with some decent cargo space smuggling missions pay the most in the hauling genre so you'll want rep. They wont always pop up, so bounty hunt when the board is dry. A cobra handles both tasks pretty well. As far as I could tell thats the only way to pop out of that tedious start in a day or two. Any other ship is going to waste a lot of time. After that specializing isn't such a big deal cause the grind to the next tier is lol one way or the other.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
"I also speak from a military background as i was an army veteran, there is no meekness within me, nor shard of fear for pain of death within a bone of my body. And if you are wondering...yes i have been to real war. Trouble maker i not, i know the real nature of man, for i have seen it with my own eyes. I'm sharing my feelings (something most military men do not do) about this game and the feelings of other PVPers."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/317689-Why-we-hate-you-this-christmas

Haha holy poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DogonCrook posted:

"I also speak from a military background as i was an army veteran, there is no meekness within me, nor shard of fear for pain of death within a bone of my body. And if you are wondering...yes i have been to real war. Trouble maker i not, i know the real nature of man, for i have seen it with my own eyes. I'm sharing my feelings (something most military men do not do) about this game and the feelings of other PVPers."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/317689-Why-we-hate-you-this-christmas

Haha holy poo poo.

That person has never been near a uniform.

Maybe they are talking about their extensive military experience from CoD?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Some people have no idea what qualifies as an "exploit" anymore. Every part of the 17 Draco pinata is a confirmed working as intended game mechanic. Mission stacking, 6-8 figure payouts, skimmers counting as mission targets, no mission reset on death, all within the design of the game. Maybe it's too powerful as-is, but that's far from an actual exploit. gently caress forumdads!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

quote:

I'm a programmer, and

Programming for the army is one of the more noble and valorous professions.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Krycek posted:

Some people have no idea what qualifies as an "exploit" anymore. Every part of the 17 Draco pinata is a confirmed working as intended game mechanic. Mission stacking, 6-8 figure payouts, skimmers counting as mission targets, no mission reset on death, all within the design of the game. Maybe it's too powerful as-is, but that's far from an actual exploit. gently caress forumdads!

It's nerfed in the beta, so get the most out of it now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

frogge posted:

I've been eyeing this one for awhile and I pulled the trigger on it during the steam sale. So far I've put like 10 hours into it. I know that I just want to be a space trucker complete with piss jugs for immersion. However, my God, the grind to save up the creds to upgrade from a Sidewinder to something with better cargo capacity is brutal.
Yeah, I just started too, and though I've amassed about half-a-million credits in two days or so just hauling data around and bringing cargo with me on the runs, there's this whole other game out there that people are playing that I have no idea how to get into and all the guides always assume you know things you don't.

There's a pretty steep learning curve with this game, but easy to pick up and tough to master is how a game should be, probably. I'm just having a hard time expanding my knowledge beyond pick up data, buy cargo, fly to X, sell data, sell cargo. Rinse, repeat for faction gains of almost nothing to stations and corporations I'll never see again.

But if Freelancer was any indication, I'll fly around space for hours just watching a number go up by varying increments.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I just started too, and though I've amassed about half-a-million credits in two days or so just hauling data around and bringing cargo with me on the runs, there's this whole other game out there that people are playing that I have no idea how to get into and all the guides always assume you know things you don't.

People here usually spell out the latest reddit cash explosion for new people. I've seen people detail the 17 Draconis skimmer murder setup a few times. Unfortunately these things are usually only good until the next patch, so you need to watch forums and jump on the bandwagon while you can.

a forumdad who has seen the real nature of man posted:

FDEV REALLY NEEDS TO FOCUS ON WHAT HAS HISTORICALLY MADE GAMES GREAT

MAKE ELITE PVP AGAIN

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Careful. If you're only competent you better not fly around in an anaconda. That guy is gonna get you.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Passenger hauling is a huge boon to building up mid-game funds really quickly. You can get missions that require a single 14ly jump that pays 2-3.5k, and I did a ~hour long mission for 3.7m. A class-6 economy passenger module gets you a bunch of really good options for missions, and my Asp Explorer is raking in the cash.

On that note, thoughts regarding the following build?

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0phtiFflidfsnf51l1l1212121200030n04054b022f2tv62i.Iw18WQ==.MwBj4yoJmkg=?bn=BreetaiAsp

I'm using it as my current jack-of-all-trades (have a Vulture for bounty hunting), with an economy class passenger module in place of the class-6 cargo bay. It's got enough jump distance to make travel not too arduous, good enough protection/offensive power, and can function as an exploration and passenger vessel along with having the ability to pick up salvage/black boxes for certain missions. Improvements will be to get the shield up at "A" rating and then improve thrusters and power plant once I've got enough cash leeway to afford a few more rebuys should things go pear-shaped.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Thanks for the pro-tips. Soon I'll have some chaw and a trucker hat...

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

LividLiquid posted:

There's a pretty steep learning curve with this game, but easy to pick up and tough to master is how a game should be, probably. I'm just having a hard time expanding my knowledge beyond pick up data, buy cargo, fly to X, sell data, sell cargo. Rinse, repeat for faction gains of almost nothing to stations and corporations I'll never see again.

But if Freelancer was any indication, I'll fly around space for hours just watching a number go up by varying increments.

Join up with the frogs. Following along in discord will help you get into the game more and give you the sense that things are happening around you. Then when you're feeling up to the engineer grind, do that so you can min max your ship.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Breetai posted:

Passenger hauling

Speaking of passenger missions, does anyone why a single missions reserves the whole cabin even if it's not full? It sucks rear end to have 16 seat cabins occupied by 3 passengers and being unable to fill the rest.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Krycek posted:

Speaking of passenger missions, does anyone why a single missions reserves the whole cabin even if it's not full? It sucks rear end to have 16 seat cabins occupied by 3 passengers and being unable to fill the rest.

I don't remember the exact mechanic, but I think it goes basically any named passenger reserves a whole cabin for them and however many in their party. The bulk passengers (X tourists, Y prisoners, etc) can be combined together in cabins up to the total capacity. I believe luxury cabins can't be combined ever, though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Natsuumi posted:

I don't remember the exact mechanic, but I think it goes basically any named passenger reserves a whole cabin for them and however many in their party. The bulk passengers (X tourists, Y prisoners, etc) can be combined together in cabins up to the total capacity. I believe luxury cabins can't be combined ever, though.

I think it's "VIP" passengers reserve the whole cabin. It's been a few weeks since I've tried, but I think it says in the mission bullet points if the person is VIP (it just helpfully doesn't explain why this is relevant).

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

(it just helpfully doesn't explain why this is relevant).

I should be shocked by this. But I'm not the least surprised because :frontear:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ED still missing Boas, Kestrels and Hawks.

Oh and planetary mining rigs.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

VIPs have a little crown on their mission icon.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this game today. Do you think it's worth to just grab the Horizons pass out of the gate?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yes

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Yes absolutely.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'm in 17 Draconis handily dealing with this game's miserable grind but I'm not being offered fed rank progression missions from the locals. Did something change in a patch w/r/t navy progression missions? I haven't played for about a year. I feel like one should have popped by now with how much mission board logging I've done. I'm at 100% rank progression, cordial with the feds, 17 drac is a red system and there are two fed factions there who should be able to offer me a progression mission. Please tell me the answer isn't 'mission log more' :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

I'm in 17 Draconis handily dealing with this game's miserable grind but I'm not being offered fed rank progression missions from the locals. Did something change in a patch w/r/t navy progression missions? I haven't played for about a year. I feel like one should have popped by now with how much mission board logging I've done. I'm at 100% rank progression, cordial with the feds, 17 drac is a red system and there are two fed factions there who should be able to offer me a progression mission. Please tell me the answer isn't 'mission log more' :negative:

Don't know what's wrong here, did you check your rank bars? If they're full, you should get your rank missions from every station with a Fed presence on it. In my experience, just by travelling around you'll get offered plenty.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Rank up missions are common, but no guarantee they'll always show on the mission board. So, yes. Keep scumming the board or visit another station.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Zigmidge posted:

Rank up missions aren't automatic any more and compete for room among the other 20 generated missions. AFAIK they also only show up from a faction that you're at least cordial with.

Hoping someone else comes along and gives you more help than I'm able... I finished my rank grind a year ago and all I know is that it's 10x harder today.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Dang. At least the Horizons main menu screen is somewhat visually stimulating...

Another question, I have a day 1 pilot friend and we're trying to figure out how to dump piles of cash on him because from what I remember, the first few million were the worst. What's the easiest way to do this? I'm thinking we wing up and go find a res site?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zigmidge posted:

Dang. At least the Horizons main menu screen is somewhat visually stimulating...

Another question, I have a day 1 pilot friend and we're trying to figure out how to dump piles of cash on him because from what I remember, the first few million were the worst. What's the easiest way to do this? I'm thinking we wing up and go find a res site?

I think the quickest way is still buying a ton (well lots of tons) of palladium, meet him near a high tech station and jettison-abandon it for him if he has a ship with some cargo space.

Winging up and taking him to a res is cooler though, just do that. You'll basically split the bounties two ways so going to a high res should get about 1 mil / hour for both of you, or more if you kill mans good

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 28, 2016

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this game today. Do you think it's worth to just grab the Horizons pass out of the gate?

Yes do it now.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Zigmidge posted:

I just ranked up a couple hours ago, the mission was offered by "New 17 Draconis Alliance" at Paradiso station. It's somewhat uncommon to see the mission, but reputation spills over into the next bracket anyway. After I completed the federal navy mission I was already ~50% into Ensign, and after the donations I'm up to 100% Ensign and filling up into the next rank after that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought it today with Horizons and can't stop goddamn playing it. Now it's time to figure out how to make a lot of money quick.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

E : wrong Tim Lol

Go to 17 Draconis and do missions for the order and never look back.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 29, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Its mindless tedium (like all of the money-making in this game) but holy poo poo does Draconis 17 get really profitable really fast. In the space of a very lazy day I've gone from 11 million in cash to just under 300 million. Now to dig up some good Exploraconda builds while I get greedy and push for a billion.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Beluga pilot decided to play chicken with the Corvette in the Jameson Memorial mail slot.

It... did not go well for him, shields stripped, hull down to 50%, I don't even think my outer shield ring changed color. :lol:

And I was going the station speed limit.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 29, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Beluga pilot decided to play chicken with the Corvette in the Jameson Memorial mail slot.

It... did not go well for him, shields stripped, hull down to 50%, I don't even think my outer shield ring changed color. :lol:

Never not drive eighty-five.

I was coming into one of the 1.2G planetary bases and forgot to check the gravity...hit the ground doing a good 250-300. Outer ring dimmed a little.

My aim was good: I was right next to the pad so I just lifted off and shifted over. Perfect landing? :shrug:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Since 17 draconis kicked off I put my almost completed imperial rank grind on hold to piss all over skimmers and as a result I'm now on the last rank before the corvette too. :v:

Do the cutter and corvette cost about a billion each to a-rate?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pilchenstein posted:

Do the cutter and corvette cost about a billion each to a-rate?

With lightweight hull plating, you're about half a bill for a vette and about 600 mill for a cutter

And cheaper if buying in discounted systems.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Krycek posted:

With lightweight hull plating, you're about half a bill for a vette and about 600 mill for a cutter

And cheaper if buying in discounted systems.
Cool. I'm at 2.4 billion assets/1.5 billion cash right now. Probably time to call it a night, I forgot to change back into my viper after my last promotion mission and just tried to kill skimmers in a weaponless asp. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Of course if you actually want a combat cutter, and not just something that has As in there, it's over a billion pre-discount.

• Locked thread