Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Do I need to just grind out a shitload and buy a thing to make me jump further to get to said 17 Draconis? It's like 375lys away.

(Sorry, bought this game like 8 hours ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Your best budget bet is probably to grab an adder - it's pretty cheap, has a decent-ish jump range when stripped down and can fit a medium missile launcher.

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?
300+ hours and I've never come across a mission like this. Got it in my inbox while mining and decided to take it for the terminals, but I've found tons of interesting things (like a ruined cruise ship and a rescue team combing through it) but I've no idea where these mission plans are or might be.

Also I just picked up an occupied escape pod?? Holy poo poo. If only it turned into a passenger mission, but it's just sitting in my cargo hold. :(

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

sensitivepigeon posted:

300+ hours and I've never come across a mission like this. Got it in my inbox while mining and decided to take it for the terminals, but I've found tons of interesting things (like a ruined cruise ship and a rescue team combing through it) but I've no idea where these mission plans are or might be.

To find the plans go to the nav beacon in the target system (Dana in your case) and scan the beacon there. That will tell you where to go in the system, usually to planet. Then fly near the planet until a mission target signal source appears. You'll know it's the one because it'll be in blue and an audio cue of something like "mission critical signal detected" will play.

sensitivepigeon posted:

Also I just picked up an occupied escape pod?? Holy poo poo. If only it turned into a passenger mission, but it's just sitting in my cargo hold. :(

Unless it's for mission they're just like any other random cargo. Radio Skvortsov has lead me to believe that when you sell escape pods you're selling them into slavery.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it
I just bought this game. Is there a way to make combat in this game more like Freelancer? I don't think in the future with AI and such I'll need 2 joysticks to fly my ship? It's a little unrealistic.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What's the minimum amount of effort required to get prismatic shield purchase ability for a month? There a fastest way to hump through to the required rank?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

rsjr posted:

I just bought this game. Is there a way to make combat in this game more like Freelancer? I don't think in the future with AI and such I'll need 2 joysticks to fly my ship? It's a little unrealistic.

Keep flight assist on and it will fly like a conventional plane.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pilchenstein posted:

Your best budget bet is probably to grab an adder - it's pretty cheap, has a decent-ish jump range when stripped down and can fit a medium missile launcher.

So why is a missile launcher best for this?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Breetai posted:

Because it can kill multiple skimmers at once before the ship parked at the base takes off and you can restock at the station.

E: mines I've heard work too but I don't have experience with them.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Breetai posted:

Because your targeting will not lock on to skimmers like they do for normal ships in combat. Dumb fire missiles allow you to manually aim at the ground and the explosive damage will hit all nearby skimmers.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

rsjr posted:

I just bought this game. Is there a way to make combat in this game more like Freelancer?

No, there's no way to make the combat poo poo.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!

Chrysophylax posted:

fly over (jump out and back in, saves you 8000Ls)

I can follow every other part of that guide except this. Is there something I'm missing? The flight over is easily the most damning part.

edit: oh, jump to another system. durrrrr

Suicide Pacmen fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 29, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

What's the minimum amount of effort required to get prismatic shield purchase ability for a month? There a fastest way to hump through to the required rank?

It's powerplay. You're going to have a bad month and wonder why the gently caress your rating decays 50% every week.

rsjr posted:

I'm waiting for the flight controls to be more like Galaxian.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Beluga pilot decided to play chicken with the Corvette in the Jameson Memorial mail slot.

It... did not go well for him, shields stripped, hull down to 50%, I don't even think my outer shield ring changed color. :lol:

And I was going the station speed limit.

you fuckin greifer

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DarthBlingBling posted:

you fuckin greifer

That just reminded me of a random player who had a go at me because our NPCs griefed him during one of the CGs we had in Goat.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
"control your NPCs"

OK bub

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

"control your NPCs"

OK bub

Diamond Frog NPC Behaviour Setting is now changed from "lukewarm hostile" to "dangerously lunatic"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So in terms of the exploit, about how often should I be getting Massacre missions from jet Bridge? I keep on logging in and out between solo and open Play modes and all I seem to get our donate to the cause mission

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Breetai posted:

So in terms of the exploit, about how often should I be getting Massacre missions from jet Bridge? I keep on logging in and out between solo and open Play modes and all I seem to get our donate to the cause mission
You want missions from The Order, that's who's at war with the New Alliance guys this time. The donation mission spam is great for your fed rank though, if you don't mind spending money.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pilchenstein posted:

You want missions from The Order, that's who's at war with the New Alliance guys this time. The donation mission spam is great for your fed rank though, if you don't mind spending money.

Ah, so long story short take whichever missions ask you to kill new Alliance ships as that's the faction the skimmers belong to, yeah?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Breetai posted:

Ah, so long story short take whichever missions ask you to kill new Alliance ships as that's the faction the skimmers belong to, yeah?
Exactly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
17 drac is disgusting and hilarious in how it's merely the result of a bunch of in-game circumstances come together in the best way.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

rsjr posted:

This is how I fly. Freelancer's is a very intuitive one when you're also dealing with a UI behind the canopy. I initially attempted to learn piloting this with classic space sim controls and quickly found out how much more time I'd be spending in the UI than actually flying and freelancer's became an obvious solution.

The whole thing revolves around setting Headlook to default 'on' , setting the button type to 'Hold' binding right click to Headlook. Mouse X axis set to yaw, Mouse Y axis set to pitch (your preference for inverted).

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 29, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Patches usually don't drop until Tuesday, right? I'm not going to have time to hit up D17 until Monday, and I'm a little worried that I'm gonna get Frontierroll'd

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you're new I would base your controls on this guy's setup. It's old so there is some newer stuff you'll have to account for like SRV controls, but Elite has honestly the worst default control scheme of any modern game. The good news is the binding system is really flexible, so you CAN eventually get a setup you really like.

Vecna
Feb 14, 2007
Heads up, looks like the outfitter's at 17 Draconis is locked down.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh good. The UA's I've been dropping off are working.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Trustworthy posted:

Patches usually don't drop until Tuesday, right? I'm not going to have time to hit up D17 until Monday, and I'm a little worried that I'm gonna get Frontierroll'd

War lasts 3 or 4 days max when it's one sided like this, it'll end long before Tuesday. The nerf so far in the beta is that skimmer kills will no longer count.

Tuesday is the day the staff will be coming back into work from the Christmas break, if beta is ready to go live I doubt it would be on that day anyway.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
War has ended. Civil war with Jet Bridge pending.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 29, 2016

Shining Wit
Nov 27, 2000
I think the Draconis civil war is done. It'll keep generating massacre missions for a short time but killing skimmers gives fines again.

Up to 2.1 billion cash on hand. It definitely needs nerfing to protect space poor from this awful feeling of wealth.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
For fun you should spend your winter holiday pimping out your skimmer viper and then never use it again.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Will another civil war be starting up in 17 Draconis soon and allow the farming to continue? Was thinking of hopping back on Elite as I have a friend just getting into it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ah too bad. So what is it now, back to RES and community goals for money making?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I really wish these guys took a page from rockstar and allowed currency purchases instead of overpriced dlc

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

DarthBlingBling posted:

"control your NPCs"

OK bub

HA! I wish we could control our NPCs. But I'd settle for not being interdicted by npcs when I'm ally to them. I'm max ally DF and still get indicted by npc frogs WHILE carrying mission cargo for a DF mission.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
For anyone considering a hotas purchase, I recently bought a CH Products Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle. It's in the same price range as most saitek hotas and much higher quality. Also cheaper than a TM Warthog by about $150.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This does need nerfing because I think it's absolutely unintended - the "killing skimmers as ships since they aren't targetable and obviously useless against a proper spaceship" part - what really needs to be fixed is the mission rewards.

A payout of anything less than 300-500k is frankly unacceptable for anything above a Vulture. Being offered 20k to take my spaceship 3 systems over for whatever reason is fine when I'm in a Sidewinder, not when I'm in a Python.

Surely :frontear: has to realize nobody would move a Python (a 56 million ship in its most basic form) for anything less than 6 figures, preferably 7. Let me kill a few Clippers, maybe ranging from 5 to 15, for 1 million each on top of any bounties. A tough mission like an Elite Pirate Lord in a souped up Battleconda should net you at the very least 10-20 millions, more if you're friendly or allied. Or a carrying job of 200 tons halfway across the bubble, or an exploration mission to relatively nearby places like Canis Majoris. maybe a 100+ mil reward to bring some poo poo to Colonia. You want to be taken to the center of the galaxy and back within two weeks? That'll be a billion, friend.

Then there is no need for easy cash grinds anymore. You have your more long term, dangerous missions that reward you big allowing you to get top tier stuff and upgrades eventually, or quicker low-to-mid earning ones (excellent for newbies too) or when you just have 10 minutes and want to buy a Cobra for poo poo and giggles, or when you don't want to risk a rebuy.

Guarantee a total of 3 of each type per faction, randomize a bit and voila, you fixed the economy

But this is :frontear:, where fuel and ammo costs used to literally make you run missions at a deficit. A spaceship game where you could go bankrupt just playing it the intended way. I have no hope

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

TorakFade posted:

A tough mission like an Elite Pirate Lord in a souped up Battleconda should net you at the very least 10-20 millions, more if you're friendly or allied.

I remember when doing this got me 300k per mission in my ViperIII, and I was glad for it at the time.

Now I turn down skimmer missions during 17 Draconis stacking runs if they don't pay at least 2.5 million.

This game sure has changed.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yeah I wouldn't have even looked at any of these kill missions were it not for skimmers counting for them. Who the hell is going to spend a day killing 72 ships for the princely sum of 6 million? And that's one of the ones you get after grinding your rep with them to the max. At the very least they need to stick an extra zero on the end of that to make it remotely worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

This does need nerfing because I think it's absolutely unintended - the "killing skimmers as ships since they aren't targetable and obviously useless against a proper spaceship" part - what really needs to be fixed is the mission rewards.

A payout of anything less than 300-500k is frankly unacceptable for anything above a Vulture. Being offered 20k to take my spaceship 3 systems over for whatever reason is fine when I'm in a Sidewinder, not when I'm in a Python.

Surely :frontear: has to realize nobody would move a Python (a 56 million ship in its most basic form) for anything less than 6 figures, preferably 7. Let me kill a few Clippers, maybe ranging from 5 to 15, for 1 million each on top of any bounties. A tough mission like an Elite Pirate Lord in a souped up Battleconda should net you at the very least 10-20 millions, more if you're friendly or allied. Or a carrying job of 200 tons halfway across the bubble, or an exploration mission to relatively nearby places like Canis Majoris. maybe a 100+ mil reward to bring some poo poo to Colonia. You want to be taken to the center of the galaxy and back within two weeks? That'll be a billion, friend.

Then there is no need for easy cash grinds anymore. You have your more long term, dangerous missions that reward you big allowing you to get top tier stuff and upgrades eventually, or quicker low-to-mid earning ones (excellent for newbies too) or when you just have 10 minutes and want to buy a Cobra for poo poo and giggles, or when you don't want to risk a rebuy.

Guarantee a total of 3 of each type per faction, randomize a bit and voila, you fixed the economy

But this is :frontear:, where fuel and ammo costs used to literally make you run missions at a deficit. A spaceship game where you could go bankrupt just playing it the intended way. I have no hope

Well, those long-range missions with high payout do exist. Frontier even changed the time for long-range transport of space explorers/tourists to 28 days (or are planning to from the 3 weeks it's now, I forgot which). This should make it at least theoretically possible to get some dumbass 10k+ ly out into the black and back before you lose interest.

And in Colonia I found some nice missions for carrying crap back to the bubble for up to 50 million credits. Still, only about half of what you should get, but: Baby steps! At least we see some progress. :v:

• Locked thread