Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
FROST was way too hard for me. The character creation was very glitchy but when I finally got past that, I could not get very far because you die in one hit to everything. My primary way of killing things was throwing down mines, then running the hell away and hoping that explosion killed them.

I might try it again after a few more versions, because it's still a very cool idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I doubt that part will ever change, because the guy who makes that is very much a "not for loving casuals" type. I remember it took me like 5 hours to even get started in DUST because the only way to get a drat gun was to take a very specific circuitous route through the instakill gauntlet of raiders and radscorpions to find highway patrol station which contained the only group of enemies in a 20 miles radius small enough that killing one wouldn't immediately summon 15 more of the eagle-eyed fuckers.

(I actually really love DUST, but Horizon is really accentuating his loving painful it was to always instantly die from any gunshot. It was particularly aggravating by the time I switched to FO4 because I'd gotten to a point where I could fearlessly engage super mutants in melee 3v1 and come out on top without breaking a sweat but still regularly died to some flicker of pixels in the distance that it took 5 reloads to figure out was a Survivor with a hunting rifle.)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

HoboTech posted:

Horizen seems good but what are people's opinions on FROST? I'm sure this topic has already been covered, just looking for a brief opinion.

I'm waiting for the "Ultimate Survival Overhaul" where your character is constantly dying of a terminal disease and you start the game with a sniper rifle trained on your head because it's HARDCORE, MAN.

FROST does a couple things better than Horizon (AI survival playstyle) and I'll be looking into integrating some of those things into Horizon myself later down the line.

Overall I just can't recommend it yet since it's so early in development. Maybe this time next year I'll play it but until then, I'll put up with Bethesda's lovely story to get an ideal survival experience, but when it is ready, it'll blow everything else out of the water.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

horse mans posted:

FROST is terrifying and amazing. It is intensely hardcore; I think I maybe had four bullets in the first two hours of playing. It is punishingly difficult. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed the everliving hell out of it. It is a little glitchy in places, and aboveground is almost impossible, but you can easily get a good 10-12 hours of entertainment out of it.

Terrorforge posted:

I doubt that part will ever change, because the guy who makes that is very much a "not for loving casuals" type. I remember it took me like 5 hours to even get started in DUST because the only way to get a drat gun was to take a very specific circuitous route through the instakill gauntlet of raiders and radscorpions to find highway patrol station which contained the only group of enemies in a 20 miles radius small enough that killing one wouldn't immediately summon 15 more of the eagle-eyed fuckers.

(I actually really love DUST, but Horizon is really accentuating his loving painful it was to always instantly die from any gunshot. It was particularly aggravating by the time I switched to FO4 because I'd gotten to a point where I could fearlessly engage super mutants in melee 3v1 and come out on top without breaking a sweat but still regularly died to some flicker of pixels in the distance that it took 5 reloads to figure out was a Survivor with a hunting rifle.)

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Overall I just can't recommend it yet since it's so early in development. Maybe this time next year I'll play it but until then, I'll put up with Bethesda's lovely story to get an ideal survival experience, but when it is ready, it'll blow everything else out of the water.

Okay, so no FROST for me, because as much as a new challenge sounds good, that just sounds... aggravating. Unnecessarily so. Like I understand not wanting the PC to be an almighty deity that Bethesda games turn them into, but there's a limit. Thanks for the input guys, I'll give FROST a pass for now and will probably try Horizen later on instead.

I guess I got a taste of what it would be like last night:

1) Download alternate start mod (I used Start Me Up)
2) Create character that begins in Quincy or somewhere in Boston proper
3) Turn on survival mode
4) Remember you have Raider/Mutant Overhaul installed
5) Suffer.

Think I'm gonna restart somewhere safer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

Man I think you're confusing FROST with Horizon here. FO4's FROST is the spiritual sequel to NV's DUST, including the "ditch the whole story and totally gently caress up the world all scary like" part; Horizon is an extensive overhaul of the vanilla game so resource scarcity is a real motherfucker, but enemies tend to wear you down instead of insta-kill you to make the resource issue a lot more important.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Man I think you're confusing FROST with Horizon here. FO4's FROST is the spiritual sequel to NV's DUST, including the "ditch the whole story and totally gently caress up the world all scary like" part; Horizon is an extensive overhaul of the vanilla game so resource scarcity is a real motherfucker, but enemies tend to wear you down instead of insta-kill you to make the resource issue a lot more important.

Nah, I just meant that Horizon's slow, brutal grind and how challenging it is without feeling like it's just loving with you really made me appreciate how obnoxious DUST's twitchy trial-and-error gameplay can be.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I gotta say, after playing about 7-12 hours into it, Horizon is a mixed bag. I'm actually appreciating the much more rarer ammo, since it makes wandering around with only a few magazine's work if ammo total really tense. It also gave me a better appreciation for melee combat, and 1v1ing a Mirelurk with a machete is really fun. At the same time, though, the much higher rarity of RadAway isn't really fun with the higher Rads any given food item gives. I think the development has also said that he increased the survival needs timespan, but it still feels like I can't venture from my Taffington Boathouse base to the nearby hospital or the West Everett Estates without becoming tired, hungry, and thirsty. He did mention that eating more will keep starvation away, but I usually don't have that much on hand, and it doesn't seem to be the case with water and sleep.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Quote ain't edit.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

You sure it's not just bugging out? I literally never get tired unless I've been running around for actual days and I only need to eat/drink about once a day. If that isn't your experience something's wrong; make sure Horizon is last in your load order.

Also you really need proper cooked meals. Trying to subsist on the radiated poo poo is a complete mug's game.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Terrorforge posted:

You sure it's not just bugging out? I literally never get tired unless I've been running around for actual days and I only need to eat/drink about once a day. If that isn't your experience something's wrong; make sure Horizon is last in your load order.

Also you really need proper cooked meals. Trying to subsist on the radiated poo poo is a complete mug's game.

I'll check my load order tomorrow, but that's probably it. I'm glad it was a bug, at least.

And re: cooked meals, it's tough, especially since I don't have an actual farm going and every creature I kill only drops raw meat super rarely.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kumaton posted:

I'll check my load order tomorrow, but that's probably it. I'm glad it was a bug, at least.

And re: cooked meals, it's tough, especially since I don't have an actual farm going and every creature I kill only drops raw meat super rarely.

Yeah, its tough. At least you dont strictly need crops any more, and if you invest a point in the Hunter perk you'll get plenty of meat from some of the more common beasties, notably dogs.

Disclaimer: I never successfully learned to live off the land. I mostly just did a lot of sidequests and used the money for noodles and rad treatments.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

Nah, I just meant that Horizon's slow, brutal grind and how challenging it is without feeling like it's just loving with you really made me appreciate how obnoxious DUST's twitchy trial-and-error gameplay can be.

Yeah, re-read your post and I was the mistaken one :doh:

You're definitely right though, the slow grind is actually much more tense than getting swarmed by 10 high-level enemies and dying instantly, while Horizon is constantly stressing you about how much ammo you really want to spend because your supply will get drained by every encounter.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, re-read your post and I was the mistaken one :doh:

You're definitely right though, the slow grind is actually much more tense than getting swarmed by 10 high-level enemies and dying instantly, while Horizon is constantly stressing you about how much ammo you really want to spend because your supply will get drained by every encounter.

No kidding. I mostly got Horizon as something to scratch my survival itch while I waited for the DLC to go on sale so I could play the latest FROST, but after sinking 20+ hours into this one I'm really not aching to go back to instakill city. Horizon even does a better job of conveying the "harsh post-apocalyptic wasteland" feeling DUST claims to be going for. When a super mutant breaks my arm and I'm forced to slap on my last bandage in the hopes it'll let me live long enough to find enough caps to pay a doctor to glue my bones together I feel like I'm being victimized by the wasteland. When I have to reload for the seventh time because a barely visible super mutant headshot me from 400 yards I feel like I'm playing a Super Mario romhack.

My ideal survival game might actually be the DUST/FROST aesthetic and level design with Horizon mechanics. Maybe at some point in the far-flung future some beautiful soul will actually merge them.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Terrorforge posted:

No kidding. I mostly got Horizon as something to scratch my survival itch while I waited for the DLC to go on sale so I could play the latest FROST, but after sinking 20+ hours into this one I'm really not aching to go back to instakill city. Horizon even does a better job of conveying the "harsh post-apocalyptic wasteland" feeling DUST claims to be going for. When a super mutant breaks my arm and I'm forced to slap on my last bandage in the hopes it'll let me live long enough to find enough caps to pay a doctor to glue my bones together I feel like I'm being victimized by the wasteland. When I have to reload for the seventh time because a barely visible super mutant headshot me from 400 yards I feel like I'm playing a Super Mario romhack.

My ideal survival game might actually be the DUST/FROST aesthetic and level design with Horizon mechanics. Maybe at some point in the far-flung future some beautiful soul will actually merge them.

It'd be pretty easy to make an override patch that tweaks just the combat side of FROST to be like Horizon. Bringing all of its gameplay into FROST's sandbox would be a lot harder.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

which mods can you recommend for a first time blind playthrough

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Depends on if you want to experience the game more or less as intended but better.

I guess here's what I'd add:
Place Everywhere
Spring Cleaning
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul
Unofficial Fallout 4 patch
Shell Rain
Achievements (normally adding mods disables them, if you care about this sort of thing)
Durable Vertibirds

But really there's just going to be a lot of small things you will want fixed as you play the game and you'll find mods based on that. My mod list is like 50-some odd long, but most of them are really small things like making the spotlights that target the player cast shadows, making the power armor impact landing not aggro friendlies, nicer-looking settlement crafting items, etc. Just tons of tiny nitpicky fixes that you may or may not want changed.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

yeah i want to experience the base ga, preferably with the best quality of life mods, optimization mods, cosmetic mods, snapping junk fences, and classic vats.

i just don't know which specific mods to use due to inexperience.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a mod that would let me craft spider mines, mini-turrets or anything like that?
I love games where I can chuck out little automatons that hunt out enemies for me.

I'm thinking as a grenade or something.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are the synth relay grenades that the Institute has, and there are plenty of mods that make those grenades more available to you the player.

I know there's a mod that introduces grenades that do the same thing for Brotherhood soliders and Minutemans and Railroadies, but I don't know the name off the top of my head.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's cool but not exactly what I'm looking for. I was to toss out a little explosive spider/crab that scuttles around, seeks the closest target and explodes.
Extra points if is tagged at an entity with health so the enemy has a shot of taking it out before it gets to them.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

It should definitely be possible for someone to make. The relay grenades just spawn an NPC wherever they land, so if they were rigged to spawn a supermutant suicider or one of those mole rats with frag mines strapped to them, it would give you the desired function, if not the appearance. For the full effect, someone would have to create a 3d mesh for the drone (rigged to an appropriate skeleton so it would animate) and a similar one to replace the grenade.

I suppose you could make an explosive mirelurk hatchling and use an egg as a replacement grenade mesh. Maybe slap a different texture on them so they looked manufactured.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hobo on Fire posted:

It should definitely be possible for someone to make. The relay grenades just spawn an NPC wherever they land, so if they were rigged to spawn a supermutant suicider or one of those mole rats with frag mines strapped to them, it would give you the desired function, if not the appearance. For the full effect, someone would have to create a 3d mesh for the drone (rigged to an appropriate skeleton so it would animate) and a similar one to replace the grenade.

I suppose you could make an explosive mirelurk hatchling and use an egg as a replacement grenade mesh. Maybe slap a different texture on them so they looked manufactured.

Hmm, interesting. I always forget about the rigged molerats. Some sort of bait could work.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
For the poster asking for a first playthrough, I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think survival mode is the ideal first playthrough difficulty. A page or two back I posted a bunch of mods that compliment Horizon, just get rid of Horizon and you have a great fairly lightweight vanilla survival experience with more atmosphere.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

For the poster asking for a first playthrough, I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think survival mode is the ideal first playthrough difficulty. A page or two back I posted a bunch of mods that compliment Horizon, just get rid of Horizon and you have a great fairly lightweight vanilla survival experience with more atmosphere.

I agree, at least assuming you're actually interested in survival mechanics. But you really do need to get yourself a console enabler and some kind of alternate save system. Personally I recommend Sleep or Save.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I'm trying to make a merged patch so I can use all these weapons I've downloaded, however, I'm encountering a very strange issue when I do so. When I have my merged patch activated, I can no longer fire pipe weapons. So far those are the only ones that have had issues (I haven't played much admittedly with this bug affecting the game). I can't aim, and if I remove the patch and reload the game, it removes all my ammo. Anyone know what could be causing this?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CascadeBeta posted:

So I'm trying to make a merged patch so I can use all these weapons I've downloaded, however, I'm encountering a very strange issue when I do so. When I have my merged patch activated, I can no longer fire pipe weapons. So far those are the only ones that have had issues (I haven't played much admittedly with this bug affecting the game). I can't aim, and if I remove the patch and reload the game, it removes all my ammo. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Do you have loads of ammo? because that sounds like you need to switch the pipe weapon ammo type with loads of ammo.

take a look in fo4edit to see what your pipe weapons records look like.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

Do you have loads of ammo? because that sounds like you need to switch the pipe weapon ammo type with loads of ammo.

take a look in fo4edit to see what your pipe weapons records look like.

I don't use Loads of Ammo. I don't even know where to start with looking in FO4Edit to begin to find the issue. I just know how to make a merged patch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't use Loads of Ammo. I don't even know where to start with looking in FO4Edit to begin to find the issue. I just know how to make a merged patch.

Open the patch in FO4Edit and see what's in the merged patch. It's very simple, very self explanatory.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Terrorforge posted:

I agree, at least assuming you're actually interested in survival mechanics. But you really do need to get yourself a console enabler and some kind of alternate save system. Personally I recommend Sleep or Save.

I use Survival Options for this, it's pretty nice, has everything you need to tweak the survival settings, food, saves, damage in and out, fast travel, everything.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kafouille posted:

I use Survival Options for this, it's pretty nice, has everything you need to tweak the survival settings, food, saves, damage in and out, fast travel, everything.

Oh hey, this looks super sweet, particularly the part where it lets you see your needs as actual values rather than obtuse stoplight icons. I'll definitely be using this whenever I get back to my non-Horizon playthrough, though I'll probably still be using Sleep or Save as well because I think it strikes a good balance between adding tension and just taking the piss.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

Open the patch in FO4Edit and see what's in the merged patch. It's very simple, very self explanatory.

I took a look in the merged patch, found pipe guns and simplified to just errors and it looks like something between how horizon handles .38 bullets and everything else. There's a way I'm assuming to just have the Horizon tweaks override everything else?

Speaking of which, Horizon finally clicked for me last night. I was doing the First Step for the Minutemen, which points you towards towards the Corvega assembly plant in Lexington to clear out. I was going in with some radiation damage and a minor case of lethargy, but otherwise was pretty well stocked for a long trip.

By the time I actually got to the factory, I was down to one magazine of 10mm, about 5 bullets of .38, and 12 shotgun shells for a double barreled shotgun and that's it, and if you don't remember, or haven't gone through Corvega's plant, it is massive. The wiki lists 17 raiders patrolling outside alone, with probably double or triple that inside, and there's a ton of sentry turrets that will tear you to shreds. Not only that, but my lethargy I had been ignoring due to lack of antibiotics had progressed to full on weakness, which means I'm taking 20% extra damage on top of my already limited healthpool. My supplies are very low, with only a few bottles of purified water, very little food, no bandages and one combat stimpack. I had to use basically every trick in the book in order to clear it out. Precision aiming, sneaking up on raiders, melee kills, grenades, hacking protectrons, which then turned on me after the raiders were killed in the room, running and hiding when I was outnumbered. It was long process, taking me most of last evening to carefully take out the raiders guerrilla style. To put it in perspective, I killed the last raider with my last bullet, I had a broken arm, I was very hungry, very thirsty, very tired, and very, very sick. I'm pretty sure I was at a fraction of a hitpoint as well, because my pipboy listed me as being at 0 HP. I was completely out of supplies, and barely made the trek back to the settlement, and then back to Sanctuary. But goddamn if that was not the most hardfought and well earned level up I've ever gotten. It loving ruled.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

For your merged patch, either move Horizon further down your load order, or just drag and drop the relevant individuals records from Horizon to the merged patch.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

FROST does a couple things better than Horizon (AI survival playstyle) and I'll be looking into integrating some of those things into Horizon myself later down the line.

Are you one of the people responsible for Horizon? Are fruits/vegetables not meant to be taken off their plants at all?

EDIT: Ah yeah, I see the note about crops on the nexus page. Sucks for crops that aren't in settlements but I can understand the rationale.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 27, 2016

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Fix for the workshop elevator buttons:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20664/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

horse mans posted:

Are you one of the people responsible for Horizon? Are fruits/vegetables not meant to be taken off their plants at all?

EDIT: Ah yeah, I see the note about crops on the nexus page. Sucks for crops that aren't in settlements but I can understand the rationale.

Not a Horizon dev but I'm going to be releasing some compatibility patches for smaller content releases but I'm really starting to look into merging elements that I like from FROST into Horizon, most importantly getting rid of the unlimited ammo/AI endlessly shooting at the corner you're hiding behind.

I'll give some more concrete details once I have them but my merging efforts might not be necessary if I'm successful in bringing a couple modders together to create an official merge mod in the interest of a really good survival experience. So far, everyone seems open to it.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 28, 2016

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So I've gotten to level 5 in Horizon. Some thoughts:

- Combat is fantastic so far. Pipe pistols are reliable daily carries against raiders, molerats, and the like, and firefights feel much more tense, with agonizing moments of "will I survive this or not?".
- The settlement additions are a little arcane, but I'm really starting to see the experience it's trying to create. Settlement building feels thoughtful and requires a lot more patience and work to make things viable.
- The loot overhaul can feel disappointing at times, but it makes finding valuable things (and useful junk) even more exciting.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

horse mans posted:

So I've gotten to level 5 in Horizon. Some thoughts:

- Combat is fantastic so far. Pipe pistols are reliable daily carries against raiders, molerats, and the like, and firefights feel much more tense, with agonizing moments of "will I survive this or not?".
- The settlement additions are a little arcane, but I'm really starting to see the experience it's trying to create. Settlement building feels thoughtful and requires a lot more patience and work to make things viable.
- The loot overhaul can feel disappointing at times, but it makes finding valuable things (and useful junk) even more exciting.

My reaction to finding brand new Wonderglue which gives FIVE adhesive left me laughing afterwards.

Is getting clean water based on the container you put it in for Horizon? I figured you'd need a purifier but my milk jugs seem to be producing clean water just fine. Seems like a bug :shrug:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mod to watch, dude added smoke effects to all the guns and altered muzzle flashes. Currently they look a bit too much like black powder muskets, but that might change.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20872/

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I'm trying to figure out which mod is doing this, but randomly everyone, from mobs to companions will be surrounded by a red smoke. I can even see this thru walls. It will go away after awhile, so I'm not sure what is causing it. I thought it was that mod that made enemy targeting turn red when you put it on a helmet, but I uninstalled it and it still happens. And I don't even wear a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
There isn't a mod that adds more scars to the game, is there? I want my character to be just a total wreck by the time I'm done playing Fallout.

Also I'm experiencing a bug where none of the Diamond City Guards are wearing clothes. I'm assuming that's a bug with AWKCR or something.

Edit: Also, I figured out my merged patch issue. Turns out I had some launch rear end mod installed for extended weapon mods or something that was lying dormant until merged. I have no idea how it got installed or when, but as soon as I removed it everything started working fine.