Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sorry maybe I gave you the wrong idea. Every attack you can do will at minimum trip people. Vertical swings like switch axe sword mode x,x are great for minimizing that, yeah. The advice I've always seen for lance is to do upward angled pokes when you're close to people to go over their heads.

Oh, guns and bows make people flinch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gah, just get in there. MP is always a super casual affair for me so it feels weird writing out like rules for it. No one's gonna get mad at you, just go play the fun video game!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lets hang out posted:

Gah, just get in there. MP is always a super casual affair for me so it feels weird writing out like rules for it. No one's gonna get mad at you, just go play the fun video game!

There's not that many rules and many of them are just being considerate. Just don't cart excessively, drag out hunts, or trip people. If only for the sake of not being That One Pubbie that gets complained about here.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The one group I had so far was super nice, the leader was German and ended every quest with a "gute arbeit!", then we danced on the corpse of the monster together :3:

Got some tips for searching and/or creating hubs, though? Every time I try to search for something vaguely specific like "3★" or "Objective: Chameleos" it can't find anything, and when I just search for "any" the hubs all seem to be "1-999, any objective, any type". I tried finding some people to do event quests, villager requests, etc. with but I don't know how long it usually takes for people to join and I just gave up and tried doing it solo instead after waiting a while. I'm also a bit wary of starting my own hubs since I have no idea what I'm doing (or the etiquette of online Monster Hunter since I've never done it) :shobon:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

The one group I had so far was super nice, the leader was German and ended every quest with a "gute arbeit!", then we danced on the corpse of the monster together :3:

Got some tips for searching and/or creating hubs, though? Every time I try to search for something vaguely specific like "3★" or "Objective: Chameleos" it can't find anything, and when I just search for "any" the hubs all seem to be "1-999, any objective, any type". I tried finding some people to do event quests, villager requests, etc. with but I don't know how long it usually takes for people to join and I just gave up and tried doing it solo instead after waiting a while. I'm also a bit wary of starting my own hubs since I have no idea what I'm doing (or the etiquette of online Monster Hunter since I've never done it) :shobon:

The "default" etiquette for hubs is usually, if no specific target monster is specified in the room, they are probably doing rotations. In order of joining the room, you just pick whatever quest. If you're not sure, you can always ask. A lot of the time it's just people farming whatever DLC quests, but people are usually okay with doing your Urgent or your Deviant if you ask. It's a lot easier if you're coordinating from the goon MH discord, too.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Your Computer posted:

That's mostly a consequence of this game being out for a while and the population has dwindled a bit. Try the goon Discord if you haven't already.

As for rooms:

1. Post the specific monster you want to hunt, people generally don't search more specifically than that. And have the quest queued up if want a specific one so people can see what their in for.

2. Don't advertise something then do a completely different quest. This goes for joining rooms too. Don't go into an unrelated room and beg them to do your urgent.

3. Speaking of urgents, the host has dibs on the first one but it's good etiquette to stick around to help the others with theirs if you can.

Like I said, most of this just being considerate.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

I noticed that there's a separate option to search for hubs that are already in a quest, does that mean after the quest is picked/queued or after embarking?

e: another dumb question; I want to try the Gunlance some time, but am I right in thinking that it might be a bit... online unfriendly? Seems like exploding stuff in people's faces might not be a lot of fun for anyone other than yourself.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 27, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Thanks!

I noticed that there's a separate option to search for hubs that are already in a quest, does that mean after the quest is picked/queued or after embarking?

e: another dumb question; I want to try the Gunlance some time, but am I right in thinking that it might be a bit... online unfriendly? Seems like exploding stuff in people's faces might not be a lot of fun for anyone other than yourself.

It really depends on how you use it. Normal and long shot gunlances are really no more trippy than any other weapon, and with wide shots you just need to be a bit careful; probably angle upwards before you fire.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
God, the sense of mastery is so good in this game. For example, I remember Gypceros being the first monster I carted to and thinking he was complete BS (and perhaps posting about it too :v:) and now I can completely clown on him with no effort using any weapon. It feels so good (even if I know he's an easy monster) :3: I don't know what it is about these games, but it's insanely satisfying when you start mastering a monster.

Trick Question posted:

It really depends on how you use it. Normal and long shot gunlances are really no more trippy than any other weapon, and with wide shots you just need to be a bit careful; probably angle upwards before you fire.

I see! Thanks. I know gunlances have been nerfed (and a lot of people are saying it's the worst weapon in the game), but what's the best/most fun style/type right now? I'm awful at Adept blocking, so I was thinking perhaps aerial.. but I have no idea if I should go for long, wide or normal lances.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Don't listen to the haters, gunlances rule. :colbert:

Here's the quick & nasty version to gunlancing.

Normal - Abuse the full burst (aka shotgun slam).
Wide - Abuse charged shelling.
Long - Weave shelling into your combos.

Which style is up to your personal tastes, use whichever style you're comfortable with. I prefer Guild Style for Wide/Long and Adept for Normal because you can combo from an adept block into a shotgun slam.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your Computer posted:

God, the sense of mastery is so good in this game. For example, I remember Gypceros being the first monster I carted to and thinking he was complete BS (and perhaps posting about it too :v:) and now I can completely clown on him with no effort using any weapon. It feels so good (even if I know he's an easy monster) :3: I don't know what it is about these games, but it's insanely satisfying when you start mastering a monster.

I see! Thanks. I know gunlances have been nerfed (and a lot of people are saying it's the worst weapon in the game), but what's the best/most fun style/type right now? I'm awful at Adept blocking, so I was thinking perhaps aerial.. but I have no idea if I should go for long, wide or normal lances.

My go-to styles are striker and adept - striker if I'm confident I can avoid damage without the adept guard, adept if I'm not or if it's eminently counterable (glavenus, either magala, etc.) Aerial is fun occasionally, but it's kind of a one-trick pony.

I'd recommend starting with a good wide or long gunlance - normal is good in this game, but you have to be good at getting the slam -> bam out (which is a risky, high-commit move) and it's also much easier to overheat than the other two.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There's a shortcut to the shotgun slam. Shell, quick reload, then your next stab will go into the overhead slam.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Aerial style is the best because you can just shotgun slam all day. Though if you don't pay attention your teammates might hate you.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Your Computer posted:

Heck, all the weapons in the game are incredibly anime :v: I'm just annoyed at the edgy "gaudy colors and SPIKES EVERYWHERE" aesthetic. All the charge blades are either very spiky or very mechanical, they probably have the fewest designs I like out of all the weapons. Well, except the Chameleos C. Blade and the "so late game I'll never get it" Celestial Vortex. They look awesome. The Switch Axe on the other hand has a lot of really great designs:

So the inherent problem with charge blades and you liking them is that the charge blade itself is a VERY mechanical weapon type. It has more moving parts than any other type of weapon, which was originally something the switch axe claimed. So it's pretty natural for the weapons to be very mechanical in nature, and a lot of the monsters also have plates or spikes, which are replicated in the weapons. Rathalos, for example, in the picture you linked; it has spikes all over, really, so its weapon matches.

The good part about this game is that you don't really need "the best", and in Generations there aren't that many weapons that are straight up awful. For example, if you want a fire weapon but not Rathalos, you could try Lavasioth, which has a rocky aesthetic with more fins. Other charge blades that aren't so blatantly mechanical or spiky could be Horror Zofar (which really pulls off the Malfestio look), Daora's Casca, Demonlord Blade, Black Strongarm (the shield opens up to show a glaring eye when you go into axe mode, it's sick), Valk Veil, or Pizzaxe. You've got some options.

Of course the stuff you don't like about the charge blade designs is also stuff I like so I may not be the best person to give advice for that! Still, there's a lot of options you have.

Also seconding aerial style for gunlances. It's so much more fun.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Heck, all the weapons in the game are incredibly anime :v: I'm just annoyed at the edgy "gaudy colors and SPIKES EVERYWHERE" aesthetic. All the charge blades are either very spiky or very mechanical, they probably have the fewest designs I like out of all the weapons. Well, except the Chameleos C. Blade and the "so late game I'll never get it" Celestial Vortex. They look awesome. The Switch Axe on the other hand has a lot of really great designs:

but I feel kinda bad about enjoying the swaxe since I always felt it was "the newbie weapon" :saddowns:

I kind of want to make a working (non powered of course) version of the Ground Dasher at some point.

The metal brace slides down to form a guard and the hammer flips to become a cutting edge. It just seems like a much more solid design than most of the other SA. It's a shame it doesn't do blunt damage in "axe" form though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squidtentacle posted:

So the inherent problem with charge blades and you liking them is that the charge blade itself is a VERY mechanical weapon type. It has more moving parts than any other type of weapon, which was originally something the switch axe claimed. So it's pretty natural for the weapons to be very mechanical in nature, and a lot of the monsters also have plates or spikes, which are replicated in the weapons. Rathalos, for example, in the picture you linked; it has spikes all over, really, so its weapon matches.

The good part about this game is that you don't really need "the best", and in Generations there aren't that many weapons that are straight up awful. For example, if you want a fire weapon but not Rathalos, you could try Lavasioth, which has a rocky aesthetic with more fins. Other charge blades that aren't so blatantly mechanical or spiky could be Horror Zofar (which really pulls off the Malfestio look), Daora's Casca, Demonlord Blade, Black Strongarm (the shield opens up to show a glaring eye when you go into axe mode, it's sick), Valk Veil, or Pizzaxe. You've got some options.

Of course the stuff you don't like about the charge blade designs is also stuff I like so I may not be the best person to give advice for that! Still, there's a lot of options you have.

Also seconding aerial style for gunlances. It's so much more fun.

Yeah, you're absolutely right :3:

I just wish the Charge Blade was a little more like the Switch Axe. The swaxe is mechanical in a hinges and pulleys way while the CB is more milled steel and motors.. if that makes sense? Good point on the options though, that's one of the things I really enjoy about Generations. You picked a good example too, because I do like the Lavasioth weapon much more :v: Like you say, it's not that the weapons are necessarily out of place (all the biggest, badassest monsters are spiky and colorful) it's just a personal preference thing. And speaking of personal preference, I love how half the flagship monsters in Generations are spiky and anime (with matching equipment) and half are.. different. Gammoth armor and weapons are my favorite thing, and Mizutsune has a ton of amazing looking stuff too!

Really, the variety of different looking armors and weapons (corresponding somewhat to the monsters they were made from) is fantastic in Monster Hunter. As long as it's possible to pick a weapon and armor that's not "The Best™" and still do fine I'll be having a blast.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, you're absolutely right :3:

I just wish the Charge Blade was a little more like the Switch Axe. The swaxe is mechanical in a hinges and pulleys way while the CB is more milled steel and motors.. if that makes sense? Good point on the options though, that's one of the things I really enjoy about Generations. You picked a good example too, because I do like the Lavasioth weapon much more :v: Like you say, it's not that the weapons are necessarily out of place (all the biggest, badassest monsters are spiky and colorful) it's just a personal preference thing. And speaking of personal preference, I love how half the flagship monsters in Generations are spiky and anime (with matching equipment) and half are.. different. Gammoth armor and weapons are my favorite thing, and Mizutsune has a ton of amazing looking stuff too!

Really, the variety of different looking armors and weapons (corresponding somewhat to the monsters they were made from) is fantastic in Monster Hunter. As long as it's possible to pick a weapon and armor that's not "The Best™" and still do fine I'll be having a blast.

It's basically the way I've been rolling since the start. I know that Rathalos weapons are amazing in the fire element class, but...I don't like fighting Rathalos, and I don't like the way the equipment looks enough to invest in it. But I love how Lavasioth stuff looks, so that's what I do for my fire element needs. Same with Mizutsune instead of Seltas, or my own insistence that I get Bounding Dalamadur in 4U for my blast IG instead of the Brachydios one.

You're gonna be fine with almost whatever you pick, so don't worry about it. This is coming from the guy who still insists on soloing every single quest and getting every piece of equipment myself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squidtentacle posted:

You're gonna be fine with almost whatever you pick, so don't worry about it. This is coming from the guy who still insists on soloing every single quest and getting every piece of equipment myself.

Thanks :3: I finally completed Mizutsune's armor set and a couple of weapons (all those claws... Capcom why) and I also want to start upgrading the Long Sword so I can be the prettiest anime :sparkles:

Found out that I need to fight Shagaru Magala for upgrade mats though.. not looking forward to that. Fought it once online with another person and it took us ages to kill it, does it have an incredibly huge HP pool?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Thanks :3: I finally completed Mizutsune's armor set and a couple of weapons (all those claws... Capcom why) and I also want to start upgrading the Long Sword so I can be the prettiest anime :sparkles:

Found out that I need to fight Shagaru Magala for upgrade mats though.. not looking forward to that. Fought it once online with another person and it took us ages to kill it, does it have an incredibly huge HP pool?

Not really. Shaggy's one of my favorite fights because it's super intimidating and dangerous, but it's very good about telegraphing its attacks and once you know what you're doing it's basically the perfect monster to go adept against, since a lot of its attacks end with its head right there on the ground. The exploding ground keeps things dynamic, as well.

I could see it taking a long time if you keep getting blown around, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Might've just been that we were bad :v:

Speaking of bad, I feel a little better about online now that I've done a couple of quests. Mostly because I see how bad everyone else is. I don't think I've seen a single person with gems in their gear, not a single SnS user applying oils, people using unupgraded weapons etc. The Quests still go by incredibly fast (only at 3★) so I guess it doesn't matter, but it makes me more confident that I'm doing alright.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I need to get back into this game haha. Picked up generations and got to fight all 4 flagships but I kinda stopped mostly bc of the weapon I was using:

Chargeblade. Like someone else posted, the styling of the chargeblade is a bit lacking. Though I don't mind how they look, I'm just underwhelmed by the variety. There have been plenty of times when I see a cool weapon for Hammer or Bow, but when I check to see if CB has a weapon using those same parts, more often than no, there is not recipe for it. Must be because it is newer, but this isn't the only game its in. AND When they brought back older monsters, they could've added more options with their parts but didn't. I think the main thing was that I got bored using the same Charge Blade for a long time.
With that said, it has become one of my favorite weapons to use with Adept.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Trick Question posted:

Not really. Shaggy's one of my favorite fights because it's super intimidating and dangerous, but it's very good about telegraphing its attacks and once you know what you're doing it's basically the perfect monster to go adept against, since a lot of its attacks end with its head right there on the ground. The exploding ground keeps things dynamic, as well.

I did find it very annoying to fight him with a greatsword, though, since he likes to backstep or do weird stuff after turning so it's harder to set up level 3 headshots.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There is no way to get Rustshards in Low Rank/Village other than the 10% chance off the blue node in Area 6 in the Volcano right? And I would be an idiot to even consider trying to "farm" them?

e: also wow, I've had some good online interactions but today the only people joining me are people going "rathalos? rathalos???" in a room clearly labeled "Magala farming", people showing up in the starter gear or people who join, queue up an Urgent and then leave :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 29, 2016

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Your Computer posted:

There is no way to get Rustshards in Low Rank/Village other than the 10% chance off the blue node in Area 6 in the Volcano right? And I would be an idiot to even consider trying to "farm" them?

You can also get them in the secret area of the Dunes, but yeah, just don't bother right now. It'll be much, much easier when you can go into high rank.

Also, fyi, if you can get the pieces you need from a monster in the village quests, I highly recommend going through those for your farming instead of the Guild wherever possible. The monsters in the village inherently hit less hard and have smaller health pools, so if you're decent at fighting them, it can be faster than going through the guild and waiting for people to join up.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Figures. I want that Teostra hammer :arghfist::saddowns:

I've spent more than 99% of my ingame time on village so that's the way I'm used to gathering parts, but for some assholes like Shagaru Magala I found it a lot less stressful to do it in online. Well, when I actually found groups that is. I had a really nice one with 3 other people who wanted several S.Magala weapons so we just chain-ran Gore and Shagaru over and over for probably a couple of hours. Everyone did great (broke all parts, cut tails, etc.) and we completed each hunt in just a couple of minutes :3:

On an unrelated note and possibly my dumbest question yet; Seregios' weapons are the only weapons that behave like Seregios' weapons right? I love that mechanic so much (roll to sharpen weapon) but find the aesthetics... well, I already talked too much about those. Since I have all the parts available now I wanted to try doing Mizutsune armor + Adept + Seregios weapon, because it sounds fun to get ~anime dodges~ that get better and sharpen my weapon with every roll.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Your Computer posted:

On an unrelated note and possibly my dumbest question yet; Seregios' weapons are the only weapons that behave like Seregios' weapons right? I love that mechanic so much (roll to sharpen weapon) but find the aesthetics... well, I already talked too much about those. Since I have all the parts available now I wanted to try doing Mizutsune armor + Adept + Seregios weapon, because it sounds fun to get ~anime dodges~ that get better and sharpen my weapon with every roll.

Yep, only Seregios. There have been a couple of monsters with unique mechanics: Chaotic Gore Magala weapons in 4U had, for example, -30% affinity and 30% affinity, which means you have a 30% chance for either positive or negative affinity, but when you overcome Frenzy, both are made positive and added up to make 60% affinity, which stacks with the natural affinity gain from overcoming Frenzy, creating 75% affinity. With Chaotic Gore weapons, you could get 100% affinity against infected monsters with some Expert added on, and otherwise you'd have a chance of having either positive or negative affinity.

That said, I think Seregios is the only one with a unique mechanic in 4U. Kinda unfortunate; I was fond of weapons having properties other than their existing shared ones. Maybe Valfark will have some cool poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was wondering what other weird special effects there might be (since no other armor or weapon I've seen has a quirk like that). Shame that such a cool mechanic is locked entirely behind one line of weapons though, but at least the Switch Axe looks pretty alright (although I loathe how it reflects green in the light, it would've been much better just white. I know I'm nitpicky.).

Speaking of the Switch Axe, I've discovered the joys of Adept swaxe today and I think it might be a contender for weapon I enjoy the most in this game :aaa: I disliked how I literally never used axe mode (because why bother, just Energy Charge and spam sword mode jumps and infinite combos all day) in Aerial, but in Adept I'm finding both modes very helpful. The increased mobility is pretty huge, and I'm liking a lot of the axe moves so instead of just staying in sword forever and using Energy Charge I've started trying different Arts and spending time in axe mode while the sword mode is recovering. Kinda weird how this was one of my least favorite weapons and now I love it. Maybe I should try my next least favorite weapon, the Dual Blades next? :v:

e: I've been farming Zinogre with this new Adept swaxe style and I just need 3 Claws so of course I get 3 Plates and 0 Claws even though I broke all of them :shepicide:

e2: btw, is the Adept+Bubble Dance+Seregios a thing that will work well in practice or is the synergy not as cool as I think?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 29, 2016

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I had to be on a plane today and spent some time learning gunlance. It's some fun stuff but I think I'm either missing something or it's inherently slower to the kill than swaxe. I might just need more practice with it though. What a cool weapon when it works though, oh man.

I haven't played MHGen in a long while, but it looks like I cleared most of the gathering hall content using my lovely rarity 1 bullfango kit and a Seregios axe. Was there a common intermediate armor or were folks just going from newbie kits to deviants?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Got Generations over Christmas, pretty new to the series as a whole. Are the tutorial weapon quests good enough for getting the hang of weapons and styles? I've watched Gaijinhunter's tutorial videos to see what looks fun/cool, insect glaive, long sword, switch axe and charge blade in particular. Any good beginner tips or is it just a learn-as-you-go type of game?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Gunlance definitely gets slower kill times on most monsters all things considered. Like, that difference will be a minute or so, so not a huge deal. Especially in multi. The most important thing is how fun is the weapon to use. Pubs are the worst with GL though and will blow you away constantly.

Capcom just never seems to give the gunlance the credit it deserves sadly. I mean, it's an exploding stick, it should be better than it is really.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Jade Rider posted:

Got Generations over Christmas, pretty new to the series as a whole. Are the tutorial weapon quests good enough for getting the hang of weapons and styles? I've watched Gaijinhunter's tutorial videos to see what looks fun/cool, insect glaive, long sword, switch axe and charge blade in particular. Any good beginner tips or is it just a learn-as-you-go type of game?

Grab a hunting horn and toot monsters in the face so hard they die.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Jade Rider posted:

It's definitely a learn as you go experience. You'll get plenty of tips but it's all a bit much to take in at once. But you'll get there!

If you watched gaijinhunter for the weapon move sets then you're well ahead of the curve for new players.

The best tip is to always be prepared for a hunt. Bring potions, megapotions, 2 max potions, whetstones, traps, well done steaks, paintballs. Pick axes and bug nets are good for gathering too. Make a custom item set in your item box so you don't have to constantly manually do this every time.

Honey is very important. It's used to make megapotions and a bunch of other items, so you'll want to horde it a bit.

Always eat before a hunt.

Keep an eye on the sharpness level of your weapon. Always sharpen when a monster changes zones.

Try to upgrade your gear periodically. Jaggi gear is a good starter armor as it gives you attack up. You can combine it with Bulldrome to get attack up large. Look up Bujabujabu online. Yes it's a stupid nickname.

Learn how armor skills work. It takes 10 skill points to activate an armor skill. Some have +2 and +3 versions at 15 and 20 points. You get points through armor, decorations, and talismans/charms. This system is a bit confusing at first. Go into you status menu and on the third page it will list how many points you have in each skill. Pressing y will give you a description of the skill and how many points for each level are needed. This is very handy.

Don't be afraid to look online for info. It's the only way you'll know where the weak points on a monster are and what element they're weak too.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Your Computer posted:

e2: btw, is the Adept+Bubble Dance+Seregios a thing that will work well in practice or is the synergy not as cool as I think?

It's amazing how you can go over to weapons you hated and then realize how incredibly fun they are. I recommend aerial or adept dual blades for maximum fun.

Also it's been a hot minute since I played with my Mizutsune set, but it's POSSIBLE that the adept dodge technically counts as getting hit for the bubble status, which would disable it. I would check myself but my game is paused right now in the middle of one of the Final Fantasy quests. That said, you don't really need evade bonuses with adept because it's pretty amazing anyway, so you might be better served with aerial.

One thing that I do highly recommend with Mizutsune armor is Crisis/Resuscitate, which comes almost gemmed into Mizutsune S. The bubble status counts as a status effect for the purpose of activating Resuscitate, so basically every time you dodge you refresh your damage boost. It's pretty awesome.

Jade Rider posted:

Definitely use the tutorials to get a handle on the movesets, but Great Maccao isn't the best way to really learn how to use the weapons/styles. For example, it's easier to learn adept and aerial off of larger, slower monsters, so you have enough surface area to jump on and slow enough attacks to time your dodges/blocks. Don't be afraid to make some weapons and jump into real quests after doing some tutorial quests.

Recommended weapon/style pairings from me are aerial/adept switch axe, aerial insect glaive, striker/adept charge blade, and adept long sword. Of course guild is probably best to start with so that you learn the standard movesets and get the hang of how the weapons work normally, and then you can adapt from there to the various alterations in different styles.

Edit: Also seconding checking online for stuff, as there can be some traits monsters have that will be really helpful to know down the line. Some may have traits that are disabled by afflicting them with certain statuses, or some are essentially immune to certain statuses, or some attacks may stop altogether if you break certain parts. It's worth knowing, because while you know something, execution of the knowledge is another level altogether.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

I recommend aerial or adept dual blades for maximum fun.

Seconded. It's basically Devil May Cry Dance mode.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Bubbly dance doesn't go away if you adept dodge. I like going constitution and razor sharp since that makes the seregios weapons have permanent white.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Capcom just never seems to give the gunlance the credit it deserves sadly. I mean, it's an exploding stick, it should be better than it is really.

The main issue is that its shells are mostly fixed damage with some elemental that's only ever one element. Fixed damage is obnoxious to balance without making it better than actual skilled play and they've needed to look at elemental damage again for a while, more generally. 4th Gen was a step in the right direction there, at least, just not for GL in particular since I don't believe the base elemental boosts are added to shells.

I think they just need to offer a new shell type that isn't fixed damage. On the actual speedrun side of things GL is and has been fine since you're only comparing GL to GL there for records and such, but for people who just like to do fast runs with certain weapons a non-fixed shell offering that could actually do solid DPS would be great. At least the new heat mechanic should get better as they increase the poke damage back up again--I see them doing that alongside a change to make it harder to lock the gauge anywhere perhaps--but shelling damage is forever going to be stuck in a "it's kind of bad because we don't want it to be too good" limbo if they don't bring in something new for it or overhaul it entirely.

The main way to overhaul it entirely would be to up the shell's fixed damage after some form of "skilled play". Brave Style might do some of that, but it's hard to say what would stick for 5th gen. And at the end of the day I think just going away from fixed damage for at least one shell type would be a similar but easier solution anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just spent a few hours farming Kirin and.. what a jerk. Possibly one of my least favorite monsters, although not on the level of Cephadrome, etc. His dumb run attack has close to 0 startup frames and it's super frustrating :arghfist::saddowns: I think also in general, running/turning/stepping damage is my least favorite type of damage in these games. Got enough materials to make his entire set though, which I'm probably never going to use.

Squidtentacle posted:

One thing that I do highly recommend with Mizutsune armor is Crisis/Resuscitate, which comes almost gemmed into Mizutsune S. The bubble status counts as a status effect for the purpose of activating Resuscitate, so basically every time you dodge you refresh your damage boost. It's pretty awesome.

Not getting S armor anytime soon I think, but that sounds hilarious :haw: Definitely one armor set I look forward to.

keyboard vomit posted:

Grab a hunting horn and toot monsters in the face so hard they die.
Smacking a monster on the head and then tooting in their dumb, stunned face is the extremely fun and probably a little disrespectful. :sax: I'm farming Teostra now for the Teostra's Tiple, which I fell in love with the moment I saw it.
e: it was in the MH4U demo! Look at this :swoon:

What armor is that though? At least according to Ping's MHX Dex, Teostra's Armor (and EX) looks different. Did they redesign it or is that a different armor set?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 30, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That's the G rank version. It'll probably come back in XX but I bet it'll be nerfed because it was pretty drat good in 4U.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Oh drat, I actually like the design of that horn a lot. I wanna murder a dinosaur with a giant... shamisen? Citar? Anyway it looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Marogareh posted:

That's the G rank version. It'll probably come back in XX but I bet it'll be nerfed because it was pretty drat good in 4U.
Ahh, of course. That's a shame. :( I'm already hyped for XX, but I guess I'll make that one more reason. If/when the game actually comes out, that is.

In a game determined to have as little thigh armor as possible for female characters, we need more ridiculous pants like that.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 30, 2016

• Locked thread